Nomad lounge with young kids?

Sigh, the dinner party situation was an analogy. I'd explain it but then I'm pretty sure it would be like trying to make my point to the oblivious person in the analogy. Lounges and bars are separate spaces from restaurants themselves for a reason. I don't hate kids; I have been taking WDW trips with kids for over 20 years but it never would have occurred to me to take them to a bar. There are plenty of eateries in WDW to take kids to and I doubt that many youngsters are begging to be taken to Nomad Lounge. If it is the parents' desire to go there and what they want supersedes consideration for their kids and those around them, well, we all have our priorities. I suppose this is why every ride at the parks now has to have a recording reminding people to supervise their own children. As far as what Walt Disney would have wanted, let's remember that this man was a smoker and a drinker yet Disneyland did not serve alcohol except in Club 33. So who is to say if he would have considered it appropriate to take kids to a bar/lounge? He also said "If I made pictures just for kids I'd go broke." There are adult only spaces on the cruise ships so obviously the Disney company sees the value of giving adults some "breathing space". I never told the OP that she couldn't take her 3 and 5 year old to Nomad Lounge. She asked for opinions on whether or not it was appropriate so obviously she had doubts or she would not have asked. I responded with my opinion that a 3 and a 5 year old might be bored there and act up. I did not expect everyone to agree with it and I don't expect to convince anyone to change their personal viewpoint. Sadly, it has been my experience that most parents seem to overestimate their child's tolerance level and then it becomes an imposition upon those around them. Hence, my hesitation to recommend taking toddlers to a venue (bar/lounge) that traditionally been considered an adult space. Regardless, the original poster has indicated that she has made a decision so I think we're done here.

Sorry, this may not be what you want to hear but to paraphrase Dr. Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park, just because you CAN doesn't mean that you SHOULD. Lounges in WDW definitely have a more adult vibe (with the possible exception of the Tune in Lounge since it is open to the Prime Time waiting area). And when there is nothing there for kids they (understandably) get bored and act up.

I have enjoyed Nomad's Lounge and I found that the atmosphere is conducive to relaxing, Period. Not for adults or for children. For people. I feel that if parents bring children to any establishment they are responsible for providing something to occupy the kids.

I knew that I would probably get flamed for this but since RunnSally had the couth to ask, I wanted to give her an honest answer. DisneyWishes, you say that the lounges and their menus were designed for families to enjoy. Some would argue that bars are never appropriate places for children. But my point is more about the enjoyment level for the kids and that of the nearby patrons if the child is bored and restless. So if there is no kids' menu at a venue, would you agree that perhaps this is a place not best suited to the enjoyment of a 3 or 5 year old? I think it's a formula for a meltdown situation.

WE have been taking my DGD to dinner with us since she was a sprout. We did not limit our visits to restaurants that had childrens menus, and she was perfectly well behaved and contented. I think it comes down to common sense. You know your kids, know their limits and plan accordingly. I also think that practice makes perfect. You cannot expect to bring a child who has had no experience is sitting quietly during a movie, a show, dinner, or anywhere else that requires being seated for an extended period of time to develop that skill without practice.

How nice. I believe the OP asked for opinions. Some of us don't want to see little brats running all over in a lounge. I expect it in a QS place. Some of your questions/examples are irrelevant and silly.

Yikes! Children in a lounge = Brats????

Yeah, I'm not getting the it"s-quiet-so-your-kid-will-act-up they don't have a kids menu so they're not welcome argument. My kid is more apt to have a melt down in Chef Mickey's than a place like Nomad where he can chill and take a break and they have a kids' menu at restaurants like Monsieur Paul and Yachtsman which I would argue are far more "adult" than Nomad. I've seen a ton of kids in Nomad happily and quietly drinking their mocktails and eating apps. It's truly an oasis for my kiddo.

My kids were the same way when they were young - loud and rowdy restaurants seemed to mess with their sense of "restaurant behaviour", and we had a lot harder time keeping them seating and behaving at Kona and Ohana than at Artist Point or California Grill. I wouldn't hesitate to take them to the lounges connected to the signature restaurants. If the restaurant welcomes kids, I don't quite understand the thinking that the lounge doesn't.

... you are allowed to take your children into the bars at Disney???? I can't even take my daughter into the foyer of our liquor store!

You're missing out :upsidedow
Where I live there are tons of breweries and pubs that welcome (well behaved) children. They have couches and board games and you can bring in any food you like. My kids are older, so we usually bring our dogs along instead.

Sigh, the dinner party situation was an analogy. I'd explain it but then I'm pretty sure it would be like trying to make my point to the oblivious person in the analogy. Lounges and bars are separate spaces from restaurants themselves for a reason. I don't hate kids; I have been taking WDW trips with kids for over 20 years but it never would have occurred to me to take them to a bar. There are plenty of eateries in WDW to take kids to and I doubt that many youngsters are begging to be taken to Nomad Lounge. If it is the parents' desire to go there and what they want supersedes consideration for their kids and those around them, well, we all have our priorities. I suppose this is why every ride at the parks now has to have a recording reminding people to supervise their own children. As far as what Walt Disney would have wanted, let's remember that this man was a smoker and a drinker yet Disneyland did not serve alcohol except in Club 33. So who is to say if he would have considered it appropriate to take kids to a bar/lounge? He also said "If I made pictures just for kids I'd go broke." There are adult only spaces on the cruise ships so obviously the Disney company sees the value of giving adults some "breathing space". I never told the OP that she couldn't take her 3 and 5 year old to Nomad Lounge. She asked for opinions on whether or not it was appropriate so obviously she had doubts or she would not have asked. I responded with my opinion that a 3 and a 5 year old might be bored there and act up. I did not expect everyone to agree with it and I don't expect to convince anyone to change their personal viewpoint. Sadly, it has been my experience that most parents seem to overestimate their child's tolerance level and then it becomes an imposition upon those around them. Hence, my hesitation to recommend taking toddlers to a venue (bar/lounge) that traditionally been considered an adult space. Regardless, the original poster has indicated that she has made a decision so I think we're done here.

Sigh is right. Your analogies continue to not work. My DS9 loves Nomad and Trader Sam's. They are already written into our touring plan for December and it's not because I am forcing it on him or am being inconsiderate to adults in WDW who have an unrealistic expectation that a space that is NOT adult-dedicated will be kid-free. You are working on the assumption that children will not like it here which, based on many responses in this thread, is a fallacy. You are working on the assumption that all children who go here will be disruptive and inconsiderate to others, which is, again, wrong. You seem to have this notion that families with children in WDW should be relegated to character buffets and other "kids" eateries which would drive everyone in my family, including DS9, completely bonkers after a max of two visits.

You really are missing the point and are comparing apples to oranges. Yes, there are adult spaces on DCL that DCL DEDICATED as adult-only. Even on those ships, the lounges are open to ALL ages during the day. There is one lounge, two clubs and one restaurant in WDW that have age restrictions. As much as you are really, REALLY trying to make it out to be, Nomad is NOT a WDW dedicated adult space and has never been marketed to be or considered one. Ever. In your MIND it might be, but in Walt Disney World, it is NOT. Disney, apparently, did not see the value of making Nomad an adult-only space (probably because it's in a theme park filled with families spending money) and so they DID NOT make it one. I'm not sure where you are from and I'm assuming your local laws and customs are influencing your perspective on this, but there are plenty of places in the US (including FL) and around the world that welcome children accompanied by parents in bars, pubs and lounges.

You're missing out :upsidedow
Where I live there are tons of breweries and pubs that welcome (well behaved) children. They have couches and board games and you can bring in any food you like. My kids are older, so we usually bring our dogs along instead.

I'm jealous of your experience. The vast majority of children that I see at our local brewery are not well behaved.

... you are allowed to take your children into the bars at Disney???? I can't even take my daughter into the foyer of our liquor store!

LOL! YES! Where are you from?! I'm from PA and worked in UT (where, to this day, I have no idea where they hide the alcohol - I think it's all next door in NV!) and I had the same reaction the first time we ate at Sanaa. My DS was 3 and we had to wait for our table so the bartender in the lounge invited my DS3 to sit at the BAR! I was SHOCKED! I asked if he was sure it was ok and, lo and behold, DS3 was sitting at the bar, legally, in Sanaa. That's the first and only time we sat at an actual bar in WDW, but we've been to Trader Sam's (so fun!), Nomad, and AbracadaBAR and have sat at the outer tables and they were all really great. Very comfortable, very welcoming. They have a disappearing cotton candy "mocktail" at AbracadaBAR that DS really liked. The server actually does a trick with the drink when they serve it!

If it is the parents' desire to go there and what they want supersedes consideration for their kids and those around them, well, we all have our priorities. I suppose this is why every ride at the parks now has to have a recording reminding people to supervise their own children.

I think that's a bit much. Now kids are being forced there and it's ruining everyone's time. Geesh.

I'm jealous of your experience. The vast majority of children that I see at our local brewery are not well behaved.

We have lucked out on that front so far, but I have seen my fair share of out of control kids at restaurants. That's why my earlier posts were clear that I would prefer parents to consider others before assuming that lounges are appropriate for ALL children.

My brother is one of those who thinks it's perfectly fine for his kids to fight, whine, throw tantrums, and run around playing wherever they go. I'm certain he has been to lounges at Disney and been completely oblivious that his kids were ruining everyone else's experience.

It's probably all that beer they're drinking . . . :drinking1

The beer definitely helped while my brother's kids (mentioned above) were staying with us to avoid the hurricane this past week. :rolleyes1

I cannot believe this is even a debate.

Pre-kids, I never expected to drink or dine anywhere at WDW without expecting children present (aside from the places with age restrictions.) If the mere presence of children is annoying or irritating, I suggest people vacation elsewhere or choose one of the 4 places with age restrictions to hang out at.

I also happen to be in the camp that IF kids act out or melt down (any kid can at WDW, even the most normally well-behaved), remove them from the situation to be respectful of other patrons. Kids are outside of their normal environment and schedule at WDW. Their adrenaline is up from rides and stimulation etc. Kids can act differently than at home. I was a very well-behaved kid, not overly emotional and melted down at 50s Prime Time when I was 10 because I didn't want to stop riding rides to eat. Totally out of my character at the time.

Also, I'm from the Midwest. I grew up eating at bars and lounges because that's what we have here. In our area, restaurants even have bar-height high chairs. People bring their kids out to those places because those are the dining establishments we have!

Also confused about the kids menu argument. Nomad serves apps and dessert.
No meals for adults OR kids. Also worth noting, my very small kids like adult food and flavors more than kids menu offerings at most restaurants. We don't pay too much attention to kids menus anyways.
Additionally, the appetizer options at the WDW lounges usually have at least one universally family friendly option. No need for a kids menu offering on shareable snacks.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the spirited responses! Actually sounds like an atmosphere our kids would like/do well in, so will definitely stop by if the touring plan gods allow.

We took kids to Nomad and Tutto Gusto last month. At Nomad, CM offered our youngest son a Tiffins kids' menu and crayons. Youngest son ordered from the Tiffins kids' menu the rest of us shared apps from the lounge menu. Same at Tutto Gusto - CM offered Tutto Italia kids' menu but he decided to order from the lounge app menu. In the past, Territory Lounge has offered our youngest a kids' menu from Artist Point and crayons.

Another note - based only on our experience - Territory has offered us the full Artist Point adult menu in the past. Last month, Tutto Gusto offered us the full Tutto Italia menu and Nomad lounge offered the full Tiffins menu.

Everyone has their own idea of what is and what should be

I don't have kids. I also don't drink much ever. I don't do bars in general so of course my opinion ranks right up there :rolleyes1

Do what you will. Well behaved children will hardly be noticed. I personally don't like to see kids around drinking. Yes, that includes Epcot at night on weekends. I also see how many would prefer more adult environments in lounges and bars

But Disney knows where the money is and will always follow

This post will close if it turns south. Express your opinions all you like, but let's not refer to any more brats, k?

I mean...I wish parents could find any other of the bazillion places on property to bring their kids rather than a lounge that caters (yes, it's true) to adults.
But there are no rules against it, so children are allowed.

It actually won't bother me at all, but I can't guarantee child appropriate conversations will be taking place as we 5 adults will be enjoying some late evening cocktails. :)

The crap thing is that it only takes ONE bad/tired/unparented child to ruin the experience and expectation for those without kids when it comes to lounge time. And when the lounges are some of the only places that people with kiddos can go into, in the air conditioning on a hot day without a now-required ADR to just get a drink or sit down and get a little bit of relax time ... it's just a recipe for disaster.

I don't have a problem with kids in a lounge. I have a problem with them sitting AT THE BAR (this happens FAR too often at Tune-In) - your child can be in a bar, but shouldn't be sitting at the bar.

As far as Nomad goes - it's delightful place that's one of the largest in-park lounges available, in my opinion. The couches outside facing Pandora are AWESOME, and they have a really great non-alcoholic drink list, so it would definitely be a kid-friendly place to take a break.

Fargo has an interesting point. Is there a time that makes a difference? Is 2 in the afternoon on a Tuesday vs Saturday night at 9?

Do you also feel adult oriented conversation or hookups are ok?

4547755c16e559dfddad6f7a725e499f9ac9169e0f2683db0b1f805c48943723.jpg

So now Nomad Lounge is a pickup bar? Well, I guess since it's in Animal Kingdom it could be a Cougar Bar.

Fargo has an interesting point. Is there a time that makes a difference? Is 2 in the afternoon on a Tuesday vs Saturday night at 9?

Honestly it doesn't matter to me. Would i take my kids after 9? Eh depends on my mood, how we're feeling, etc. but I don't shield my kids from the world. If someone was drunk and acting crazy I would use it as a time to have a talk about drinking. But in my circle we regularly responsibly drink in front of our kids so it's no biggie to them.

Hookups? Are we talking a guy chatting with a girl and getting her number and maybe going back to her room or a whole prostitute transaction? Lol. My kids wouldn't even notice.

Adult conversation doesn't bother me. If I thought it was getting over the top for my kids I would leave. I would understand it's late and adults are out having a good time. It wouldn't offend me at all because if the situation were reversed I would be letting loose late at night at a bar with friends and not thinking if someone's kid were there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter