Nomad lounge with young kids?

Runnsally

DIS Veteran
Hi, all. Is it appropriate/reasonable to take young kids (5,3) to Nomad lounge? Not worried about the menu, but rather the overall vibe. Thanks!

Hi, all. Is it appropriate/reasonable to take young kids (5,3) to Nomad lounge? Not worried about the menu, but rather the overall vibe. Thanks!
It's a lounge.
In Disneyworld.
Dineyworld is child friendly
Nomad Lounge has a more adult vibe than many spots.
You know your children best

I've read dining reports with people taking their kids in the lounge and it seemed fine to me. I plan on hitting some with DD12.

Can't speak for inside but I was there twice last month and both times had tables with young families near me on the patio.

It's fine but it is a lounge so if you don't want your kids around adults drinking it might not work. Outside is nice and has a little more room. The inside has couches and chairs with low tables and a bar.

Yes, absolutely. It doesn't really have a "lounge" vibe anyway, IMHO. They have some of the best "mocktails" on property. It's beautiful. I highly recommend sitting inside.

All of the lounges we've gone to - Nomad, Trader Sam's (before 8 pm) and AbracadaBAR are very kid/family friendly and have interesting, non-alcoholic beverages for the kids (and parents who don't drink, like me!)

Yes. Just seat them at tables, not at the bar.

I've taken my daughter in there. The only issue we had is some drunk woman tried to hug her.

I've taken my daughter in there. The only issue we had is some drunk woman tried to hug her.

Oh Lord :eek: well I suppose it's a good lesson about why Alcohol should only be drunk in moderation lol

As for the OP I agree with the take them in crowd, just sit away from the bar and you should be fine.

I have taken my DS (last trip 3 and next trip 4) into the odd Disney Bar. I do love it if they have a outdoor space as it a nice place to all cool off and have drink. whether it be a virgin or a bit of an 21 and over beverage :thumbsup2

Sorry, this may not be what you want to hear but to paraphrase Dr. Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park, just because you CAN doesn't mean that you SHOULD. Lounges in WDW definitely have a more adult vibe (with the possible exception of the Tune in Lounge since it is open to the Prime Time waiting area). And when there is nothing there for kids they (understandably) get bored and act up.

Sorry, this may not be what you want to hear but to paraphrase Dr. Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park, just because you CAN doesn't mean that you SHOULD. Lounges in WDW definitely have a more adult vibe (with the possible exception of the Tune in Lounge since it is open to the Prime Time waiting area). And when there is nothing there for kids they (understandably) get bored and act up.

Right. And Nomad and AbracadaBAR serve as a waiting area for restaurants as well.

Give me a break. I guess we shouldn't be taking our kids to EP either as I've seen more drunk people wandering around there than in any bar or lounge on WDW property.

The lounges and their menus were designed for families to enjoy. Hello, it's WDW.

I knew that I would probably get flamed for this but since RunnSally had the couth to ask, I wanted to give her an honest answer. DisneyWishes, you say that the lounges and their menus were designed for families to enjoy. Some would argue that bars are never appropriate places for children. But my point is more about the enjoyment level for the kids and that of the nearby patrons if the child is bored and restless. So if there is no kids' menu at a venue, would you agree that perhaps this is a place not best suited to the enjoyment of a 3 or 5 year old? I think it's a formula for a meltdown situation.

Give me a break. I guess we shouldn't be taking our kids to EP either as I've seen more drunk people wandering around there than in any bar or lounge on WDW property.

The lounges and their menus were designed for families to enjoy. Hello, it's WDW.

Imbelle never said you shouldn't take kids in because they should never see an adult drinking alcohol. She said it's geared more toward adults and some children may be bored and not act appropriately. That is an honest response and something the OP (or anyone with children) should consider.

I have not been to this particular lounge yet, but I have definitely seen this as an issue many places before. If you have children who will enjoy sitting at the table and hanging out, totally fine to bring them along. If you have children who are known to whine, yell, and run around a restaurant, probably not an appropriate place to take them.

If the latter is the case, the parents likely won't be able to relax and enjoy anyway. Plus, it's also just rude to subject other patrons to your child's poor behavior.

I was thinking along the same line of reasoning as tzolkin. I thought the Nomad lounge had an adult feel when I was there. Kids would be fine as long as they are well behaved and not running around.

That is the case with most lounges at WDW. I was in the Wave lounge area and there was a family with a young child; the bartender had crayons and things for him to do. (They sat at a table not the bar)

It all comes down to using common sense.

I'm assuming that the OP is talking about going into the lounge, having a drink or two, ordering an app or two and being there with the kids for an hour or so. I don't think she's talking about going there, knocking them back for 4-5 hours while her kids are dying of boredom and begging to go back to the parks.

My plan when I take DD12 is to use the lounges as lunch or snack time. Have a meal or apps and I'll have a drink or two (or three). She can order a fun drink, decompress in the AC and browse her phone. Even if she was 5 or 3 I wouldn't have an issue taking her in to share an app and chill out.

I take my kids to pubs here at home and do dinner or lunch. Most pubs around here are 21 and over after 9 pm.

It's Disney. If it's not one of the 2 or 3 locations where Children are not permitted they are more than welcome to join you.
We never hesitate to bring DGD along with us everywhere. She knows proper behavior and how not to disturb other guests, that's really all that matters in the end.

I knew that I would probably get flamed for this but since RunnSally had the couth to ask, I wanted to give her an honest answer. DisneyWishes, you say that the lounges and their menus were designed for families to enjoy. Some would argue that bars are never appropriate places for children. But my point is more about the enjoyment level for the kids and that of the nearby patrons if the child is bored and restless. So if there is no kids' menu at a venue, would you agree that perhaps this is a place not best suited to the enjoyment of a 3 or 5 year old? I think it's a formula for a meltdown situation.

"Some" may argue that, but that is not your decision to make for other families. If you don't think it's appropriate, you are more than welcome to not visit these places with YOUR children. There are four places on WDW property that have age restrictions - Trader Sam's (after 8 pm), V&A (10 and older only), JellyRolls and Atlantic Dance Hall. Otherwise, families are welcome to bring their children to the lounges where they have dedicated "mocktail" or, dare I say it, KIDS drink menus. (There are no dedicated adult OR kids menus at the lounges because they don't take the dining plan)

It simply doesn't matter what your opinion is. If a parent thinks Nomad is an appropriate place to bring their child, then they have every right to bring them. Until Disney says no children are allowed, they are welcome. I have seen young children at Nomad and Trader Sam's and none of them were misbehaving. Heck, I've seen worse behavior from children in QS restaurants than I've seen in the lounges, so should we not take them there either? Personally, I would have LOVED to see the kid who licked all of the spoons at Capt. Cook's and then put them back in the dispenser be asked to leave. I've seen adults behaving terribly throughout all of WDW, so, no adults allowed! That dad I saw dragging his kid through MK to the point of almost dislocating his arm? Yes, please throw him out! O'hana doesn't have a kids menu. Should we stop taking our children there? A children's menu does not entertain a child, so I'm not sure how chicken nuggets equate to no meltdown? Sorry to break it to the many on this board who try to dissuade people from taking their children to lounges and signature restaurants. These are not adult sanctuaries within WDW no matter how much you'd like children to be barred from them or to follow YOUR rules. It ain't your park. I'll be in Nomad with my DS9 in December - his third visit there. We're going to Trader Sam's, too. Oh and we will also be SITTING AT THE BAR at ESPN Club to have a drink and watch a basketball game (yes, FL law and WDW says it's a go!). Looking forward to it.

Last edited:
I think if your kid is known to yell, whine and run around in restaurants you shouldn't take them into any restaurant or lounge.

I agree, but there are obviously many parents who don't adhere to this "rule".

I know many people who consider "family friendly" to mean that their kids can run around and be loud because "that's what kids do". By extension, they may think everything is "family friendly" because it's Disney. So, I think imbelle's post was helpful to make the distinction.

I have absolutely no issue with kids visiting bars/pubs/lounges, but it's not appropriate for every kid. If you have a chill kid who enjoys relaxing and having a conversation, this would be a perfect location. If you have kids who are constantly bouncing off the walls and super loud, maybe enjoy a few drinks at your resort pool instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter