No Turn On Red...what does this mean to you?

Pam and lisadam I do exactly what both of you mentioned in your posts. I point to the "no turn on red "sign with my middle finger ...that usally stops the horn blowing real fast.

Forget about Stop signs I have seen so many people blow right by them it is a joke. What is wrong with these people?

Forget about Stop signs I have seen so many people blow right by them it is a joke. What is wrong with these people?

In your case, Charlie, no doubt the problem is that they are a JERSEY DRIVER!!!!

:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

YES! I know that this is a wayyyy old zombie thread, but it is still relevant today.

In the next city over from ours, they have a sign at some major intersections that say something like, "No turning on red. Wait for green arrow". However, there are no such signs in our city. It's almost a free-for-all here!

I've been honked at several times for waiting until a break in traffic or green light before turning right. I've even asked an officer about this and he said that at least in our state, you have no obligation to turn until a green light (even if there is no sign stating this). I've learned just to ignore the honkers. They've got nothing to lose if you pull out into traffic unsafely and get into an accident, so they'll honk whether it's unsafe or not. There's no valid reason they can't wait a few measly minutes for a green light.

Just my two cents! ;)

I agree, no turn on red means exactly what it says. I'm not sure about other states, but we have lots of intersections with signs that say, "no turn on red except for right lane after stop." Apparently people here don't understand what that sign means either!

YESSSSS!!!! We have so many people that just sit there and it drives me INSANE!!! You honk at them and they just give you a look which tells you that they have NO CLUE how to read the ENTIRE sign!

As someone that could out drive most people blindfolded (that utter arrogance temps me to to play fast and loose with traffic laws) you are correct and those other drivers are morons....They probably all speed through school zones yet clog up the left lane on the intestate:car:

No turn on red sigh at a busy intersection up the road from me. police sit by it a few days a week and ticket people all day.

No turn on red means NO turn on RED anytime.

However around here it's all about the blinky yellow left turn arrow. Hello there's a sign right next to it that says blinking arrow yield to oncoming traffic. That means you can turn if there's no traffic people.

It means no turn on red. This ranks right up there with the people who do not realize that right turn on red after stop means you must actually stop before making the turn.

YES! I know that this is a wayyyy old zombie thread, but it is still relevant today.

In the next city over from ours, they have a sign at some major intersections that say something like, "No turning on red. Wait for green arrow". However, there are no such signs in our city. It's almost a free-for-all here!

I've been honked at several times for waiting until a break in traffic or green light before turning right. I've even asked an officer about this and he said that at least in our state, you have no obligation to turn until a green light (even if there is no sign stating this). I've learned just to ignore the honkers. They've got nothing to lose if you pull out into traffic unsafely and get into an accident, so they'll honk whether it's unsafe or not. There's no valid reason they can't wait a few measly minutes for a green light.

Just my two cents! ;)

100% with you here. You are not required to turn on red, even when you're allowed. I'm short. In a little car. If someone pulls up next to me in their friggin' Hummer, I can NOT see past them. Even worse when they are a creeper or the visibility at that intersection is already lacking. There is no way I'm going to cross my fingers and pull blindly into possible oncoming traffic just because you don't want to wait a minute for the light to change. Guess what? My life, my health, is worth way more than your 60 seconds!

It means no turn on red. This ranks right up there with the people who do not realize that right turn on red after stop means you must actually stop before making the turn.

.....or that you can only do so after traffic clears.

Many people behind you cannot see the sign that says NO Turn on Red. Or, they can;t read..

Well, as to point one - around here, they hang the an additional sign from the traffic light, so you can see it if you are looking at the traffic signals.

And if they can't read, then don't honk at people that aren't making turns. They don't have to.

OK, my vent for the day....

What exactly does No Turn On Red mean to you guys? To me, it means... No....Turn....On...Red. So why is it that everytime I come to a red light and I am in the right hand lane, 20 buttheads behind me are playing a symphony with their horns???? Am I wrong? I discussed this with coworkers and ya know what one said??? "What that means is, no turn on red if there is traffic coming. If there is no traffic, then you can turn." Duhhhhh, really? Then what is the sign for???? Then what exactly does Wait For Green mean? If you have to wait for green, doesn't that mean no turn on red???

Haha! You expect fellow drivers to be thoughtful, considerate, display the tiniest level of intelligence, and to obey the laws of the road?

You ask to much.

What about the people that think because there's nobody coming cross-wise then it's ok to go? I frequently get a left-turn arrow and have to stop in the middle of the intersection because the people across from me are turning right on red. You need to check ALL directions before attempting that right on red!

One town I go to a lot has the no turn on red sign. The amount of people who ignore it or try to get me to ignore it is astounding. It is a HUGE sign.

Where I live, in NYC, you are not permitted turn on red unless a sign is posted so when I go outside the city I sit at red lights and get honked at all the time.

Can't turn on red period. Only a few places like that around me. Most are around schools and if someone honks at me, I make a point to get out and as kindly as possible remind them of the sign in front of them.

OK I will admit it... I am guilty! :sad:

I was in this little town...there was a light coming out of McDonald's. It clearly said "No Turn on Red". What did I do? I did it anyway. I saw the sign, and it didn't even register to me, I did it out of habit. I didn't get caught, but I was like WOW, I shouldn't have done that. I made it a point to be aware of it, and I haven't done it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter