No Turn On Red...what does this mean to you?

No turn on red means NO turn on RED anytime.

However around here it's all about the blinky yellow left turn arrow. Hello there's a sign right next to it that says blinking arrow yield to oncoming traffic. That means you can turn if there's no traffic people.
We just got some of those yellow blinking left turn arrows here. All it seems to cause is confusion.

.....or that you can only do so after traffic clears.

What about the people that think because there's nobody coming cross-wise then it's ok to go? I frequently get a left-turn arrow and have to stop in the middle of the intersection because the people across from me are turning right on red. You need to check ALL directions before attempting that right on red!

This is my pet peeve as well. There is one intersection I go through almost every day, and the people with "right on red after stop" completely forget that the people across from them with the green arrow get to go first.

We have a new one here. We have an intersection with 4 lanes (all must turn). 2 lanes turn left and 2 lanes turn right. One of the stop lights has a sign hanging by it that says "No turn on red". The other does not. Does the one sign apply to all lanes or just the one particular lane with the sign?

To complicate things 3 of the 4 lanes have signs. Left most lane has light then sign "left turn signal". Right most left lane has light then sign "left turn signal. Left most right turn lane has light and sign "no turn on red". Right most right turn lane has just the light.

We were here this weekend and everyone in the right most lane was turning on red while the left most right turn was stopped. We assume that the one sign applies to all, but IDK. Thoughts?!

No turn on red means...No. Turn. On. Red. Period. Thankfully we don't have many of those signs here, and the one that we do have that I can think of I've not had anyone honking behind me. I'm surprised I haven't been honked at at other stop lights though, as I am extremely cautious when turning right on a red light. As a PP mentioned if the people opposite me have the green light to turn, they get to go first so I tend to look ahead of me, then to the left, then ahead again to make SURE no one is turning opposite me.

What I don't like is the "yield to pedestrian" signs in one area of a nearby town. I can totally understand yielding at a stop light, like the right turn on red. If my side of the road is stopped and people are walking across, I don't get to turn until they are out of the way. But. When they have those signs randomly placed on a street it's annoying. I know there is one street that has 3 of those signs in a 4 block section. I think it's ridiculous. Especially since it's not a super busy street. Pedestrians should be responsible to watch traffic and cross when there are no cars, cars shouldn't have to randomly stop because someone is slowly walking across, not even watching for traffic, just walking because the sign says they can. :(

I've encountered drivers like this, we usually only have signs like those on larger highways where you probably wouldn't even be able to see if vehicles were coming, but some people are in a bigger hurry to get somewhere than they are to be safe.

I'm not old enough to have experienced this personally, but from what I have been told, before the energy crisis in the late 70's you never turned right on a red light. This was changed, but there are some intersections where it is too dangerous to do so, hence the sign.

No turn on red means you don't turn if the light's red.

Honestly I would think your coworker was just making a joke about not following the sign not that she doesn't know what it means.

Here many of us say that "In X county stop signs are optional" Legally no they aren't but we say that because very few people actually come to a complete stop. Most of us just treat them as a reminder to slow down a bit and check if there is traffic before we continue. Another one is "red means stop, green means go, and yellow means hurry up and beat the light".

We have an issue with the no right on red in a few places because they put the signs in REALLY dumb locations. Like places where you couldn't see it unless you were 3-4 cars back. So car 2 is beeping the horn because they don't see a sign... its behind them. I don't understand why the city doesn't put the sign on the traffic light pole next to the light. Maybe I'm wrong and all the people beeping are just jerks but I like to think some of them really do think they could turn because they don't know the intersection well.

I will admit to sometimes being that person that doesn't turn when you CAN turn though. Especially when driving in other states that I'm not familar with since I have been told in some states that you aren't allowed to if nothing is posted and they only post a sign if it is allowed instead of posting whenever it isn't like my state does (as well as just not being familiar with the traffic patterns in the area).

I will generally roll down my window and point with my hand to the sign that Plainly states NO RIGHT TURN ON RED. Here on Tax and Spend Long Island, the no right on red signs generally have red light cameras so I would rather annoy the driver than get $80 ticket in the mail. Also here in NY we have the following assumed rules of the road for some drivers

-- Red Lights, are optional Some will honk their horns to warn the drivers with the green light that they still are coming through
-- Stop Signs, All Stop Signs are treated as four or All way, you don't have to stop, just take your foot of the accelerator for a second.
-- Merging into oncoming traffic, Driver beware, you better move over, slow down or speed up, I am coming in and there is nothing you can do.
-- Turn Signal, Why waste the energy to flick the switch up or down, I can't see my turn signals anyway
-- U turn from other than the extreme left turn lane. Well that lane has more cars then the next one so I will make the U turn from there and who cares if I cut in front of the person making an actual left turn.
-- I don't care if there is a slow car in front of you, I am going to ride on your bumper, it's your responsibility to ride on the person's bumper in front of you

I'm not old enough to have experienced this personally, but from what I have been told, before the energy crisis in the late 70's you never turned right on a red light. This was changed, but there are some intersections where it is too dangerous to do so, hence the sign.

When I first learned to drive back in the dark ages this was the case. There was no such thing as right turn on red. If the light was red, you weren't allowed to go. When they changed it, there was a large education campaign to let people know when it was OK to turn and when it wasn't.

We have a new one here. We have an intersection with 4 lanes (all must turn). 2 lanes turn left and 2 lanes turn right. One of the stop lights has a sign hanging by it that says "No turn on red". The other does not. Does the one sign apply to all lanes or just the one particular lane with the sign?

To complicate things 3 of the 4 lanes have signs. Left most lane has light then sign "left turn signal". Right most left lane has light then sign "left turn signal. Left most right turn lane has light and sign "no turn on red". Right most right turn lane has just the light.

We were here this weekend and everyone in the right most lane was turning on red while the left most right turn was stopped. We assume that the one sign applies to all, but IDK. Thoughts?!
The far right lane is allowed to turn. The one with the sign is not. Pretty typical when there are 2 turn lanes.

Now with Virginia beaches red light cameras... Lol lora more folks finding out the hard way! They send u 3 different pictures of ur truck. I'm just sayin lol

Our town put up a no turn on red sign for less than 3 weeks at one popular insertion, close to two hospitals. To all the drivers who got a ticket and complained loudly, it meant NO turn on red even if no traffic was coming.

And my sister was one who enjoyed a ticket.

One that makes me soooo mad is when there is one turning lane after the other and someone goes in the first turning lane and instead of turning where they are supposed to, keeps going straight into the second turning lane to turn!! It drives me nuts! I've almost been hit twice now because I get over to turn where I'm supposed to, but another car comes up really fast from the other turning lane and almost hits me!

This one time an older lady did this to me, and while she was in the wrong, she got all ticked at me and flipped me off! I couldn't believe it!

No turn on red means you don't turn if the light's red.

From Wikipedia (they have an entry for everything, apparently):

While Western states have allowed it for more than 50 years;[citation needed] eastern states amended their traffic laws to allow it in the 1970s as a fuel-saving measure in response to motor fuel shortages in 1973 and 1979. All 50 states, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico have allowed right turns on red since 1978, except where prohibited by a sign or where right turns are controlled by dedicated traffic lights. (In June 1978, Maryland became the last state to allow right turns on red.[2] Right turns on red became legal in the District of Columbia in November 1978.[3])

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_turn_on_red#North_America

You are not wrong OP. The big thing around here is to make a right on red without stopping at all. I can't tell you how many times lately I have almost plowed into someone because I'm on the main road going the 40mph speed limit and some moron just turns out in front without ever stopping for their red.

Last edited:
The far right lane is allowed to turn. The one with the sign is not. Pretty typical when there are 2 turn lanes.
I disagree. It's not as if the oncoming traffic all stays in the left lane, allowing people in the far-right entering-from lane to safely turn onto that street. Most likely there's a single sign addressing both lanes to reduce clutter. But the best source for the person who asked would be the local police, roads, or highway department.

If there is sign saying No Turn on Red, you cannot turn period, the redlight applies to all lanes in this instance. It is a ticketable offense. If there is no sign you must come to a complete stop & you may then proceed if safe to do so. Yes you are under no obligation, if you do not feel safe you do not have to turn.

Massachusetts

Many years ago I approached an intersection with a No Turn On Red sign posted. Someone was in the right lane, obeying the sign, a guy got into the lane behind her, then me behind the guy. The impatient second guy started blasting his horn, then drove around on the first car's left and made the right turn on red. Little did he know that a cop was across the intersection intending to make a left turn. The cop turned on his flashing lights and caught the guy about 1/4 mile down the road. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter