No more segmented vacations for ddp

ftballfan7

DIS Veteran
Just got off the phone to book next summers vaca and asked about segmenting our upcoming November adults only vacation for purpose of DDP. Was told that we can no longer do that. I asked if this was a recent change within the last week and was told yes it is. I will call back to see if I get the same answer from a different cm. Has anyony else heard anything about this?

Sounds like the typical JL way to announce things....after the fact. I guess we really can't expect the communication to change much with the new leadership after all.

If this is indeed going into effect, it likely has more to do with Disney than with DVC. Remember that the DDP is only available to DVCers via an agreement with Disney, and if Disney requires it for all nights of their packages, it makes sense that they would also require it for all nights of a DVC reservation, or will discontinue it for DVC completely.

There is likely some wording in that agreement that it follows the same rules as cash reservations, and Disney is enforcing it.

That's too bad, if it's true. Nothing we were planning on doing while the kids are still with us, but a few years down the road it would have been nice just for DH and myself to do a couple days of Deluxe, definitely not the whole stay, though.

UGH, with no warning. I just tried to add it for one night during our Dec. trip. She said no more segmenting. Very disappointed that we were not even given a heads up.

Just got off the phone with a supervisor. The change just went into affect this morning, which is when member services found about it. We have already made ADRs for the last two nights of our trip and have been planning all along to segmant those days off so we could get DDP for those days only. Although I understand what the likely reasons are behind the change (it is a pain in the *** for member services as well as the front desks at the resorts), I am not at all happy with the lack of communication. Had we known the change was coming, we would have segmented prior to the change. After 9 months of planning on having a segmented vacation with DDP, it is now all or nothing. Good luck finding decent ADRs 2 months out.

Unfortunately, there is no grace period built into these changes and member services says they have no ability to make exceptions. Had they phased in the change and granted exceptions to people with existing reservations that would be one thing. And yes, I know this is not a guarunteed perk and they have the right to make the change, but some sort of advance notice or phase in would have been much better customer service. Just another example of horrible communication, maybe it wasn't all jim Lewis' fault after all.

On a side note, remember the cms at member services did not make the change or have any input into the manner it was implemented. Something I reminded myself repeatedly while on the phone with them. I am sure they are not enjoying having to disappoint us anymore than we enjoy being disappointed.

That sure puts a kink in my vacation plans. I hope this isn't true but I will have to wait and see.

Glad they are doing that, I was tired of hearing about segmented reservations nightmares. I'm sure the DVC reps are also tired of hearing complaints and having to give out refunds.

I don't remember, but I think one poster here said they went through 48 different KTTW cards during their stay.

Wow, why am I not surprised? Anyway, I have a trip coming up and my first night was a separate reservation that was added later. I had planned to add the ddp to that one night. I was going to call today (afternoon), so now I'm wondering will I be able to do that? When I added that night I did link that reservation and used different points. I guess I'll find out and will post back. I better take a look at my ADRs to modify just in case. I see alot of ADRs getting cancelled if this is true.

We are extremely disappointed too! Especially when I have discussed with MS that I would be calling back later to segment for the DDP. I realize that they were not aware of the coming change, but it does leave a bad taste for the management.

Looks like we will NOT do the DDP at all and use TIW and possibly light CS meals.
Hope Disney shoots itself in the foot on this one.

We are extremely disappointed too! Especially when I have discussed with MS that I would be calling back later to segment for the DDP. I realize that they were not aware of the coming change, but it does leave a bad taste for the management.

Looks like we will NOT do the DDP at all and use TIW and possibly light CS meals.
Hope Disney shoots itself in the foot on this one.

I'm sure they were losing money on the segmented reservations. Giving out tons of refillable mugs and people being able to spread their credits over more days means less lost credits.

Now I'm shooting myself in the foot for not calling on the weekend. We were going to try adding the deluxe to the first 2 days of our upcoming trip. Like many others we planned our meals around this. Oh well sounded too good to last!

Does anyone know what will happen to those who have split stays booked? One reservation number, but 2 resorts. Maybe I'll call to find out. Could add plan to 1 resort.....,

What a shame-we were looking at doing our last few days on the ddp.
Surely they can come up with a way to satisfy people who just want the ddp for a short period.

Glad they are doing that, I was tired of hearing about segmented reservations nightmares. I'm sure the DVC reps are also tired of hearing complaints and having to give out refunds.

I don't remember, but I think one poster here said they went through 48 different KTTW cards during their stay.

I agree that's the reason. They should have tested the system before offering it. I don't think they considered that some people would change their plan everyday.

I'm sure they were losing money on the segmented reservations. Giving out tons of refillable mugs and people being able to spread their credits over more days means less lost credits.

Oh, I have no doubt that they were losing money or else they would not have changed it. I really don't think that they cared about the inconvenience that some guests had with keys, etc.

In my dreams, I just wish that it would backfire on them someway because of their inconsideration in giving anyone a "heads-up" who already had an existing reservation and were under the impression that they could add the segmenting later.

Would be nice if everyone decided to pack a lunch and boycotted Disney food, but know that is NOT going to happen!

What a shame-we were looking at doing our last few days on the ddp.
Surely they can come up with a way to satisfy people who just want the ddp for a short period.

What would be in it for Disney? The DDP was never intended to be used as a discount program, unlike the TiW. The DDP was designed to mimic the growing popularity of "all-inclusive" vacations. Rarely are all-inclusives cheaper that paying for each item individually. All inclusive resorts make money on unused dining and services. In the non-Disney world it is rare for someone to take full maximum advantage of the pre-paid all-inclusive perks. But segmenting allowed people to do just that at Disney.

That's how I feel as well - I didn't understand why they were allowing it in the first place, and given the numerous bad reports we've seen here, I didn't think it would be long for the World!

Isn't it still possible to use the dining plan for part of a stay by making completely separate reservations? Yes, that could mean changing rooms, and it won't help people who booked some months back in resorts that no longer have availability (because if you cancel a 7-night reservation, you might not be able to get a 3- and 4-night rebooked). But that's the same issue that non-DVC members have at all times -- if you want dining plan and non-dining plan reservations, you need to make two reservations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter