No more saving seats for the parade

The camping out has prevented us from being able to enjoy ANY parade on Main Street since our family started going to Disneyland. I very much welcome this change in crowd control policy. Camping out I suppose has worked out well if you can go to Disneyland every week if you live nearby, so it's not a big deal for some individuals to devote a couple to a few hours sitting on a curb. But for tourists who travel to Anaheim from places far and wide, the camping out is a huge pain in the neck.

I'm especially interested how this will change guest behavior at Christmas time when they have the candlelight processional events.

First hand observation report on Micechat by Sir.Mouse :

I was in the park with two friends and I gotta say Main Street looked great! Walking down Main Street in the early afternoon I saw one CM sort of roaming and advising guests that their blankets, towels etc. can no longer be used as place holders. We kept checking back and she was still holding down the fort....Pun intended.

We headed over to Carnation for dinner and still not a camper in sight. I was at least expecting a few people to slip by but all the curbs looked clear.

As it got later the parade cm's showed up with their ropes and polls. I was honestly expecting people seeing this to rush the newly established viewing sections but the crowds remained light. We were able to enjoy our dinner and have desert without worrying about losing a spot; in fact, there were still spaces available during the first parade.

Once we found a place along the route I observed a few things:
1) The CMs expressed that all members must be present while waiting for the parade unless group members had to leave momentarily. So people couldn't get away with stretching their legs across the sidewalks. They were good at checking in to see if people had returned.
2)Blankets were only permitted if everyone was seated on them; sprawl was discouraged. So unless the blanket is completely under you, you had to put it away.
3) Lastly, I noticed a lot of strollers in the viewing section, a lot more than I can remember being used to. I'm not sure if It's me but it seemed like a possible reaction to the no place holder situation. Anyhow, CMs dealt with this by politely mentioning the near by stroller parking spots and having all strollers facing towards the street.

All and all I think Main Street was a success. I wonder how the rest of the route faired.

I'm glad they're working on this. But they could have started smaller and been more aggressive about picking up blankets and not allowing anyone to save more space than it takes for a parent to take a small child to the bathroom. I'll be curious to see how this goes over time. The story posted here a few months ago about the single person saving spots on Main Street with something like 5 blankets was beyond crazy.

The only thing that bothers me is we Cant get up to use the restroom or get food. Especially the bathroom!!

The only thing that bothers me is we Cant get up to use the restroom or get food. Especially the bathroom!!

Of course you can use the restroom and get food. If you are not alone, have the other person/s with you hold your spot and explain to any CMs that you will be back shortly. If you are the only one missing or if it is just you and a child or two, there won't be that many spaces being held by the other person/s. Disney is trying to prevent the case of one person holding spaces for large numbers of people who have gone off to ride rides or get food or go to the restroom. We've seen cases where entire blankets remained empty throughout the parade (so why were they there in the first place?! Other people could have used those spots!). If you are alone, make friends with the people around you. Ask them to watch your spot and explain to the CMs that you will be back.

Of course you can use the restroom and get food. If you are not alone, have the other person/s with you hold your spot and explain to any CMs that you will be back shortly. If you are the only one missing or if it is just you and a child or two, there won't be that many spaces being held by the other person/s. Disney is trying to prevent the case of one person holding spaces for large numbers of people who have gone off to ride rides or get food or go to the restroom. We've seen cases where entire blankets remained empty throughout the parade (so why were they there in the first place?! Other people could have used those spots!). If you are alone, make friends with the people around you. Ask them to watch your spot and explain to the CMs that you will be back.
The article said you cannot save seats for people who are not present. So thAt is what it sounds like to me. Guess we will see. I go next month.

I'm very happy about this. Whether or not it will make a difference remains to be seen, but I think it is ridiculous that people claim a spot hours before any parade. It's supposed to be open space. If they want to pay to rent a spot for an hourly charge, I'd be okay with that, too.

Thank. Goodness.

As for enforcement? I actually think it will be quite easy. Employee high crowd 60th Anniversary night time strategies- anybody not in a roped off area must keep on waking. DLR has shown they are proficient in moving crowds when they want to be- they place CMs in the area with those big Mickey hands waving people to keep moving (using those glow sticks at night) and come down on you like a ton of bricks if you stop- even to wait for your group to catch up (actually had that happen on multiple occasions as I often walk in front of my slow moving family). I don't see any problem here as long as enough CMs are stationed throughout Main Street close to parade roping off time. Will guests argue? Undoubtedly. Blankets are practically a time honored tradition! Will it take security 10 seconds to come over and give them an imposing look that encourages them to stop arguing with the CM? Yep. Problem. Solved. It's not like someone can pretend to tie their shoe for hours on end but I'm sure the CMs will hear every excuse in the book during the 30 mins leading up to parade time setting up as to why people just can't leave that spot :rotfl2:

I just have to say - I love your name!!!

I think this sounds excellent, based on the reports I've read about what spot saving is like at DL. It will certainly improve parade viewing opportunities for once-in-a-lifetime guests. Once people get used it, it will probably decrease rather than increase disagreements and angry guests. I would hope there's some flexibility in enforcement of the rule that the entire party must wait together. I can think of a few situations when people might be gone for longer than a typical potty break, including kids who have unique challenges and need to move their bodies to prepare for sitting for the parade, moms with babies who have diaper blow-outs or need to nurse, people who need a bit longer in the bathroom, etc. It will take a little discretion to distinguish between the person holding all the spots while the family keeps going on rides and situations where the family can't all sit and wait. However, I've found (from WDW experiences) that Disney CMs are much better at exercising that type of discretion than employees at other theme parks.

Was at Disneyland Tuesday night and castmembers were telling every one laying out blankets or sitting down on the parade route that they could not save spots until the ropes were brought out. We were told to fold up our blankets and move strollers. People on benches were asked if they were waiting for the parade - if they said "Yes" they were asked to moved. People were booted off the curb on Main Street, too.

The castmembers told me this is a new policy they found out about Tuesday morning. It was started to keep the walkways clear for all the foot traffic. And to prevent the hordes of people saving seats 3 hours before a parade starts.

I had a large group of family with me - 12 of us! - and the castmember told me we had to move around the area if we wanted to guarantee seats. We stood in front of our spots (near Small World) eating dinner then, roughly 45 minutes before the parade started, the castmembers stopped telling people to move and we sat down.

interesting stuff... will be seeing MSEP tomorrow, will report back with my experience. Quote is from another forum.

I think this sounds excellent, based on the reports I've read about what spot saving is like at DL. It will certainly improve parade viewing opportunities for once-in-a-lifetime guests. Once people get used it, it will probably decrease rather than increase disagreements and angry guests. I would hope there's some flexibility in enforcement of the rule that the entire party must wait together. I can think of a few situations when people might be gone for longer than a typical potty break, including kids who have unique challenges and need to move their bodies to prepare for sitting for the parade, moms with babies who have diaper blow-outs or need to nurse, people who need a bit longer in the bathroom, etc. It will take a little discretion to distinguish between the person holding all the spots while the family keeps going on rides and situations where the family can't all sit and wait. However, I've found (from WDW experiences) that Disney CMs are much better at exercising that type of discretion than employees at other theme parks.
Disney doesn't distinguish between once in a lifetime guests and any other guest. If you want a certain spot for the parade, you have to plan to get it and hold it, based on whatever rules they put in place. I think it's great if they make whole parties hold the spot. There shouldn't be exceptions. Most of your examples can be easily handled while waiting in place. Like walking or moving near your parade spot. Don't go in expecting special treatment and you won't be disappointed when you don't get it.

I like this idea. I've never agreed with people claiming large swaths of DL real estate with a a blanket. Doing away with that makes it better for everyone. Or at least it sounds like it will. Let's see how it works.

Disney doesn't distinguish between once in a lifetime guests and any other guest. If you want a certain spot for the parade, you have to plan to get it and hold it, based on whatever rules they put in place. I think it's great if they make whole parties hold the spot. There shouldn't be exceptions. Most of your examples can be easily handled while waiting in place. Like walking or moving near your parade spot. Don't go in expecting special treatment and you won't be disappointed when you don't get it.

I didn't mean that they should distinguish between once-in-a-lifetime versus other visitors, I just meant that the blanket spot-saving tradition favored frequent visitors, who didn't mind leaving one family member waiting for a parade spot for hours (and knew to bring blankets and stake out a spot). Once-in-a-lifetime guests who didn't want to give up hours in the park were out of luck. But I would hope that they wouldn't go so far in the other direction that they're timing bathroom trips :) or stopping a kid with involuntary motor tics or autism from moving in an open space behind the family's spot. I'm not expecting special treatment for my family -- my kid with tics will probably be in the hotel room using the wifi when I'm watching the parade!! -- but I'm assuming Disney will accommodate special circumstances.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter