No more expiration! Ugh!!!

Non Exp tickets can also have some value to holders in situations when circumstances change, like travel issues, illness while at WDW, bad weather at WDW, etc, and you find you don't need as many days at the parks as you had at first estimated.

that is true...

but in recent years - the reality is that those type of tickets are MOST useful to one group: florida residents.

buy one...use it a couple a times a year...get a weekend here or there.

Well, i have to think part of this is to push florida residents towards the florida special offers and annual passes - where there is an incentive for the purchaser to travel to WDW more often...and of course - perhaps drop a cent or two in the restaurants, bars, and food and wine festival kiosks.

If I had no expire tickets from 2001, those are still valid right? Just cant buy them for future?

I was just booking a package on Disney's site and there was still an option for no expiration.

We would often use non-expiring tickets for half day visits to one of the parks when we were in town. At a higher rate we can't justify doing that. :sad2:

People do not use these tickets to make two 5 day trips. Actually in that case it is the same price $325 for a 5 day park hopper vs $650 for a 10 day no expire park hopper.

Agreed...unless you use the tickets in different years. That way you avoid paying the annual ticket increase. We used to buy them and go every other, or every third year.

If I had no expire tickets from 2001, those are still valid right? Just cant buy them for future?

Yes to your first question..........second question......it seems that way, no more no expiration date add ons to future park ticket buying.... I just wonder what is next to go.....no more park hopping? :mad:

Disney took the no expiration option away from us Florida residents back in June of 2012, it is just a matter of time for the rest of the public. Nobody really showed me any love when I complained about it except for a few people. I will be making fewer trips to Disney, oh well that's the way it goes.

I understand both perspectives.

From a business standpoint, not only do guests need to buy the tickets every trip, they would save significant time and money not having to administer and track tickets for years and years. How many posts have been on the boards about....lost my ticket....had 3 days, but they said 2....and things like that. It would eliminate something that I'm sure has been an issue all along.

For a guest standpoint, and I use NE tickets, it really is a "what will they take away next issue". As businesses try to build up the bottom line, it just always seems to be the customer taking the punches and Disney is no different. Cut EMH, less character M&G, no more characters walking around the parks, selling a bazillion tickets to the special events. I agree that it stinks if they take the option away (was still there this morning). I also see that there are very few "slow" times left. People continue to go and spend $$ there making it less likely that discounts are offered. Until people say no and stop going, they will continue to make small changes that provide a higher level of profitability.

With that said, I still think I get my monies worth when we go and that Disney is a good value. Will we go less as prices go up and discounts are taken away....YES. And while I understand the reason to eliminate it if that is their final decision, I still think it STINKS.

Meh, not a big deal for me. They had recently raised the prices for the no-expiring so high, that unless you were planning on using it 1-2 days at a time over say at least 4 trips it wasn't even worth it.

We added no expiring to a 6-day ticket back in 2008. At the time, it was $80 to do it, and we did it to stretch the use of the water parks and more portion over several trips. (One water park visit per trip.) Adding the water park option was $50 at the time, and $80 for the Non-expire, comes to $130 for 6 water park visits.

The same move today would run you $57 for the WPM + $165 for the non-expire, or $222. Still a slight deal if you spread it over at least 5 trips, but if four or less you are better off getting the WPM option each time.

Or let's say you want to take two trips, and go 5 days each trip. So you decide to buy a 10-day hopper non-expiring. That'll run you $650. Meanwhile, two separate 5 day hoppers will run you, what, $650. No deal!

In short, Disney had already made it very hard to justify buying non-expiring, which already sucked. Getting rid of something that had become near worthless is not that upsetting to me.

I just hope, when the wristbands come fully online, that they include ALL your Disney info, like whether you are a DVC owner, AP holder, TiW card holder, etc. That would really make it easy.

But if I still have to carry all those cards anyway, I'd just as soon have the room key card, too.

People do not use these tickets to make two 5 day trips. Actually in that case it is the same price $325 for a 5 day park hopper vs $650 for a 10 day no expire park hopper.

Normally these are people who would make very short one, two and three day trips often months apart. I used to travel for work a lot and would just randomly end up in the Orlando area, I have an annual pass for Universal Orlando and over at Disney would use the 10 day no expire tickets which would be used up over 5 -7 trips in a 2-3 year period of time. I am on my 3rd ten day ticket in the last 6 or 7 years.

For me one and two day tickets just cost too much money. It is just not worth the expense. I plan to purchase another 10 day pass but once that is gone I suspect I will not spend much more time at Disney World. The time and money I spend at the parks will be spent over at Universal or somewhere else.

So true! I bought my family 10 day no expire hoppers with WP & more from UT in June before the price increase. We will be using these tickets over at least 3 trips. We go for a week at a time every other year, but don't like going to the parks every day as it is too exhausting. We like to relax around the pool one day, visit DTD one day, go to the waterparks, explore the resorts, etc. When I priced out all the different ticket options, the no expire option was the best for my family and our travel pattern.

Now I'm wondering if I should buy a second set!!!???

So true! I bought my family 10 day no expire hoppers with WP & more from UT in June before the price increase. We will be using these tickets over at least 3 trips. We go for a week at a time every other year, but don't like going to the parks every day as it is too exhausting. We like to relax around the pool one day, visit DTD one day, go to the waterparks, explore the resorts, etc. When I priced out all the different ticket options, the no expire option was the best for my family and our travel pattern.

Now I'm wondering if I should buy a second set!!!???

Yes! This is how we do the same thing, that is what makes Disney so "affordable" for us. Our family of 4 buy one ticket 10 day ticket with no expiration with 10 days at the waterparks, every other year. We go every year for 5 or 6 days we only do the parks 3 days twice, and 4 days once (or 2 days over two trips). We spend money in Downtown Disney, at Resorts, and in the parks. I do not want to do Disney for 10 days. My 10 days of vacation also include beaches in Fort Myers / Sanibel Island with the in-laws.

Disney took the no expiration option away from us Florida residents back in June of 2012, it is just a matter of time for the rest of the public. Nobody really showed me any love when I complained about it except for a few people. I will be making fewer trips to Disney, oh well that's the way it goes.

I hadn't realized that....

but that definitely was the harbinger

I understand both perspectives.

From a business standpoint, not only do guests need to buy the tickets every trip, they would save significant time and money not having to administer and track tickets for years and years. How many posts have been on the boards about....lost my ticket....had 3 days, but they said 2....and things like that. It would eliminate something that I'm sure has been an issue all along.

For a guest standpoint, and I use NE tickets, it really is a "what will they take away next issue". As businesses try to build up the bottom line, it just always seems to be the customer taking the punches and Disney is no different. Cut EMH, less character M&G, no more characters walking around the parks, selling a bazillion tickets to the special events. I agree that it stinks if they take the option away (was still there this morning). I also see that there are very few "slow" times left. People continue to go and spend $$ there making it less likely that discounts are offered. Until people say no and stop going, they will continue to make small changes that provide a higher level of profitability.

With that said, I still think I get my monies worth when we go and that Disney is a good value. Will we go less as prices go up and discounts are taken away....YES. And while I understand the reason to eliminate it if that is their final decision, I still think it STINKS.

of the ten million things posted on these boards every year - the highlighted part is the fundamental truth of WDW.
If you don't accept it - you can't make intelligent decisions and judgements on what you're buying and what consequences that comes with...

kudos

People continue to go and spend $$ there making it less likely that discounts are offered. Until people say no and stop going, they will continue to make small changes that provide a higher level of profitability.

of the ten million things posted on these boards every year - the highlighted part is the fundamental truth of WDW.
If you don't accept it - you can't make intelligent decisions and judgements on what you're buying and what consequences that comes with...

kudos

This could summarize any of 2,000 threads complaining about WDW. You can complain about what they do all they want, but if it doesn't make people stop going, then why would Disney change it.

It reminds me of the recent NHL lockout. No hockey for four months and the fans complain about how they'll never return. Then, here in Buffalo, they end the lockout, and they sell out all 24 games in like 10 days. You can't argue the lockout was "bad for business" if business is better afterwards.

Same with Disney, taking away non-expiring tickets will likely not affect the bottom line. Of the small percentage of people that use them, some might not come, but some will come and stay longer per visit because they can't come for short visits. It will probably wash out to Disney in the end.

Too bad for those that use them, though.

The problem is, Pete...that its still the best thing you can spend your money on...pound for pound. I saw Harry potter recently...it's great...but in the end one great ride and a small block of repurposing - and retheming.

And as expected - Harry potter has taken a massive slide in pop culture awareness over the last year. Mickey Mouse hasn't.

And you are right...we are feeding the monster.

Unfortunately...our lives are relatively short, and in many ways Disney is a "Zoloft for the Masses"

I actually hope they continue to jack up the prices to the point where most people are priced out...

That is a much easier path to a philosophy change than the useless hope that it will revert to 1959 Disneyland

My family uses the no expiration option all the time (on our 3rd set). Both my DH and I have relatives in Florida so we are pretty fluid about how many days we will spend in the parks versus relative visits. I know that if they discontinue the NE option, we will buy a ticket with LESS days and spend less time in the parks - I would be cautious when buying the tickets as I don't want to pay for days not used. Also, having a pre-paid ticket makes me MORE likely to go to Disney; we unexpectedly have a few vacation days in April and we just booked the trip to Disney - we've already paid for the tickets, so why not go there? :)

That being said, I would expect (as other posters have said) that we are in the minority...Disney ran their models and figured they would gain in the end. However, I would still want to write/email in expressing my displeasure (however naive that might be ;)). Is there any Disney site/email that people are using to send in their opinion of this potential change?

I saw Harry potter recently...it's great...but in the end one great ride and a small block of repurposing - and retheming.
d
thing is lol, Disney doesn't give us the one great ride anymore.

As a side, Universal is now offering us Florida residents AP's for as low as 154.00 (with parking and no blackouts 199.00). Wow! Who wants my business at this point?

Of course your response will be (and duly noted) is the point that Disney no longer needs us (Florida residents) at discounted costs. Which brings us back full circle to the stupid Walmart masses who love, love, love that oh so special Disney magic!

Figmentfans,

In a twisted way...you are playing right into their hands...

If you buy "shorter length" passes from now on to cater to your individual needs - they're killing you lb for lb.

Withhold ticket money and then go instead to DTD...resorts to eat...boardwalk...
They got you again.

The only way they lose if you go less on the whole...
But you, I, and more importantly they know that only the rarest of birds who LIKE DISNEY would fly the nest.

I'm sure this is a minor speed bump for them

Peter Pirate 2 said:
thing is lol, Disney doesn't give us the one great ride anymore.

As a side, Universal is now offering us Florida residents AP's for as low as 154.00 (with parking and no blackouts 199.00). Wow! Who wants my business at this point?

Of course your response will be (and duly noted) is the point that Disney no longer needs us (Florida residents) at discounted costs. Which brings us back full circle to the stupid Walmart masses who love, love, love that oh so special Disney magic!

Pete,

You and I know that it will take another couple of decades for them to nickel and dime before they see any significant pushback.

And as far as Uni goes...that's a great price.

Which of course means that there is TROUBLE a brewing.

As expected - Harry potter is being forgotten quickly in pop culture - right on schedule..

And universal's attendance spike will slow and get back to equilibrium.

Wait for it...
That kinda deal is done to try and keep the ship upright...and not done so without cause.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter