No longer able to make dining reservations over the phone?

This change explains why the functionality of adding guests to reservations in MDE seems to have cropped up recently.

Honestly I hate listening to the elevator music just to do something I should be able to do online.

The article says its the "preferred method" but when I called, she wouldn't do it at all. Once I said I was a party of 5, she said that I had to use the website.

I hope they are planning to fix the website if they are eliminating the phone option. I end up resorting to phone ADR's when the Disney website crashes.....which is quite often :(

OP jumping back in here - just for the record, I have always used MDE for making my dining reservations. But we’ve always stayed on site and I’ve booked my reservations at 6:00 am on 180+10 days out and gotten what I’ve wanted. This is the first time that we’ve stayed offsite and I have to book dining each day and it’s Easter week and super busy. Since I didn’t get what I was looking for and I’ve always heard “I couldn’t find the reservation online but I called and they were able to get me a reservation”, I thought that I’d give it a try. So was there any truth to all of those comments that reservations magically became available after calling that weren’t available online???

well this bites what do you do if you made reservations but then wanted to cancel them so you called they took care of it but then you check online and it is still there cause that what happened to my mom. I'm hoping when we check online next week the reservation will be gone.

I hope they fix the issue where it won’t allow me to book an ADR for one person, but will allow me to book for two. It’s always such a hassle to either have to go back in and modify the ADR or have to explain to the restaurant when it won’t let me modify. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect to be able to book the correct party size the first time.

I prefer booking online, when it works . . .

I hope they fix the issue where it won’t allow me to book an ADR for one person, but will allow me to book for two. It’s always such a hassle to either have to go back in and modify the ADR or have to explain to the restaurant when it won’t let me modify. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect to be able to book the correct party size the first time.

I prefer booking online, when it works . . .
You don't need to modify reservations for two when only one person shows. It's truly not an issue. Nearly every time you will be seated at a two top table, even as a single.

I prefer to make my ADRs online, but it was always fun to call Disney and have a CM make the reservations (back in the old days when you couldn't do it online- or before the internet existed). Talking and planning with Disney people was exciting, and made the upcoming vacation more real. I understand why people like to be able to call and talk with a human being about their plans, and I find it REALLY frustrating when I need to talk with a person, but have to wade through endless menus, first, to get where I need to be. I know they say that you can call, but how soon will it be before they reduce the number of CM's to make this all a hindrance? How long before they decide the technology is good enough and just make ADRs an online service? About 18% of American households have no internet access. Only 65% of Americans have smart phones. 18% may not seem like a lot, but it's roughly 47 million people. Is Disney going to look at the demographics of what percentage of this 18% would actually come to Disney and feel it's not worth the cost of CMs and a phone center, and just automate everything?

Remember when Disney used to pride itself on being the industry leader in Customer Service?

You don't need to modify reservations for two when only one person shows. It's truly not an issue. Nearly every time you will be seated at a two top table, even as a single.
Yes, but if I don’t modify, and show up alone, then I have to explain why. I would rather be able to just book it correctly the first time.

I had no idea people willingly called to make ADRs when there weren't issues or a special request. That seems so weird to me when it's so simple to do it online yourself. Idk, this policy seems pretty fair to me.

Same here. I hate making phone calls, so I never even considered making my ADRs over the phone. It also just seems easier to be able to play with dates and times on your own. Like if something isn't available on the day/time I wanted, I definitely don't want to keep someone on the phone waiting on me while I think about how to rearrange my schedule, or have to call back and wait on hold again once I figure it out.

Yes, but if I don’t modify, and show up alone, then I have to explain why. I would rather be able to just book it correctly the first time.
So I just did this a couple of days ago at Le Cellier. I walked up, gave my name and said it's just me today-one rather than two. Easy, and I was seated in about 5 minutes.
You can also try to modify of course. But if it doesn't work, it's nice to know they are fine with a solo vs 2 guests.

This change explains why the functionality of adding guests to reservations in MDE seems to have cropped up recently.

I don't have that option on PC or app. I can update guests (change names), but I can not add. My daughter's flight was changed for November and I wasn't able to add her to my reservation online. I was able to reserve a table for one at exactly the same time. My plan was to call and see if the CM can work some magic. If that doesn't work, I'll decide who is being most irritating that day and exile them.

This is frustrating. We usually stay at Swan or Dolphin, so we should theoretically be able to make dining reservations 180+7 days out. But due to systems problems it often doesn't work, so I end up calling to make reservations. This is a cost cutting measure at the expense of customer service.

Everyone is so worried about when things go wrong - there is nothing anywhere that says you can't call if things aren't working correctly for you or you are having any kind of issues. They would expect you to call for issues and that's why they are there. They don't want you to call just for the sake of calling when you are perfectly able to make the same reservations online.

They just mean they want you to attempt to make your reservations online first, then if you have a problem, call. I stand by my opinion of that is a perfectly reasonable expectation on the part of Disney.

This is frustrating. We usually stay at Swan or Dolphin, so we should theoretically be able to make dining reservations 180+7 days out. But due to systems problems it often doesn't work, so I end up calling to make reservations. This is a cost cutting measure at the expense of customer service.

Is that a new policy? I though at the Swan and Dolphin you were just allowed to book one day at a time like other off property resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!