NJ Colleges and Universities -- Class of 2014

Sounds like my DD (except she hasn't taken the SATs yet). She's a theatre kid, so we looked at Montclair (she loved it, and so did we), Ramapo (we loved the campus but were disappointed with the open house. After having been to so many others, theirs lacked the "individual schools breakout sessions", so we didn't get a chance to meet with the theatre department), and Drew (although it was voted the number one school for theatre in the country, we found it to be beautiful, but a little too reserved/quiet for her. She's a rah-rah type of girl). We did tour Seton Hall, Rider and Stockton, but they didn't seem to be the right fit for her.

We are also looking at West Chester and IUP (for their musical theatre concentrations).

As for SAT prep, knowing how to master taking the test can do wonders. Get the College Board's blue SAT prep book, with ten real tests in it, and do each one of them as if it's the real test (early Saturday mornings and timed). IT helps decrease the intimidation and to learn the crazy quirks of the way the questions are asked. Oh, and maybe try the ACT as an alternative.

People are right in saying that private schools can offer lots of money, which bring down the cost almost equal to the publics. Work on good essays (they do make a difference), and some schools like for you to show demonstrated interest (visit, schedule an interview, etc.)

We also are looking at schools down in the Carolinas and Virginia.

Thank you for your insight and sharing your experiences.

Just to clarify, DD loves artistic things, but not necessarily the arts. :confused3 Let me explain. She likes to bake and wanted to taking a culinary class in school but was told that they usually only reserve those classes for kids who are serious about taking that path. Also having been an honors kid, she already had one more class a day than the regular kids, so there was no room. There is an Art 1 prerequisite which all students must fulfill. She absolutely loved it and got a 98 in that class. The teacher also told me she's a bright kid with a definite artistic flair and would love to have her in more classes. When I mentioned this to her guidance counsellor I was met with "those class are for the 'other' kids. She's an 'honors' kid." :sad2: This year DD wanted to take computer graphics and it caused a big problem because many of her college prep/AP classes are only offered certain period as is the computer graphics course. She was devastated when she found out she couldn't take it. As a compromise she's going to take Photography I and dropped her Physics class to take Marine Biology. Next year she wants to take Photography II and Computer Graphics.

Technically, she has already fulfilled the graduation Math requirement of 3 years (Sophomore year was Algebra II and Geometry), but she's going to take Pre-Calc this year. After this year should could also drop her Science course for next year, but wants to take Physics. She also could have dropped her Spanish class, but is taking Spanish Honors this year. You see, she's not trying to slack off, so I feel torn because I want to encourage her to continue to take core classes even if her graduation requirements have been met, but I also want her to take classes that might lead her down the path of her future. With only 2-3 "art" classes under her belt I doubt she's be a candidate for any art program at any of the colleges, but maybe they'll have classes she can still take to indulge that side of her.

People are right in saying that private schools can offer lots of money, which bring down the cost almost equal to the publics

Yes, but this is what we found out. My dd was accepted at both Ramapo (State School) and Seton Hall (Private) Seton Hall was her first pick BUT..while they offered her a very nice scholarship (which made it almost the same price as Ramapo) it was also that she maintain a 3.5 GPA (or something like that) to keep the scholarship. If she didn't keep her GPA up we would end up having to pay. I left it up to her and in the long run she decided on Ramapo where she didn't have to stress over her GPA and money. She is going into nursing

I graduated from Rutgers Camden (2003) and attended Rowan University for grad school. The grants available to me for Rutgers made it very reasonable. I also received scholarship money from St. Joseph's and it was still way less expensive to go to Rutgers. I was happy there but I commuted from home, wouldn't want to live there. Rowan is a great option but she would definitely need to get SAT's up or attend county college and then transfer. I have a teen daughter that is very unmotivated in the academics department. She is entering her sophomore year and if she continues at this academic pace she will be going to county. My sister went to county then transferred to Rowan without any problems.

I think it depends on where in the state you are located. We are in So Jersey so looked at So Jersey schools. As far as PA schools being cheaper (out of state) than NJ schools in state tuition my oldest DS went to West Chester and their tuition was much higher out of state than youngest DS at Stockton College. Youngest DS really wanted to go to TCNJ but wasn't accepted. It is a beautiful campus and a really good school. His grades were there but his SAT's weren't so good, also he didn't belong to any clubs or sports which I think worked against him. As others have said Rutgers is a really big campus and I have heard that you need to take buses to get from one class to another. I chose Stockton for youngest DS because after not getting accepted at TCNJ he didn't care where he went and told me to pick:confused3. So I picked the cheapest and smallest school for him. It was a good choice as he is very quite. I do have to say that back when he was there (graduated in 2006) the school was a suitcase school with not many kids staying on campus for the weekend. I think most of your private schools will give you a decent amount of money whereas your in state schools don't always give you anything, as in our case. Good luck it is a big decision.

I graduated from Rutgers Camden (2003) and attended Rowan University for grad school. The grants available to me for Rutgers made it very reasonable. I also received scholarship money from St. Joseph's and it was still way less expensive to go to Rutgers. I was happy there but I commuted from home, wouldn't want to live there. Rowan is a great option but she would definitely need to get SAT's up or attend county college and then transfer. I have a teen daughter that is very unmotivated in the academics department. She is entering her sophomore year and if she continues at this academic pace she will be going to county. My sister went to county then transferred to Rowan without any problems.

Thanks for the suggestion of Rowan. We're in Central NJ (Hudson County) and I'm not sure DD would want to commute to Rutgers each day. Seems like a lot. I'm glad you mentioned about not wanting to live on campus.

I think it depends on where in the state you are located. We are in So Jersey so looked at So Jersey schools. As far as PA schools being cheaper (out of state) than NJ schools in state tuition my oldest DS went to West Chester and their tuition was much higher out of state than youngest DS at Stockton College. Youngest DS really wanted to go to TCNJ but wasn't accepted. It is a beautiful campus and a really good school. His grades were there but his SAT's weren't so good, also he didn't belong to any clubs or sports which I think worked against him. As others have said Rutgers is a really big campus and I have heard that you need to take buses to get from one class to another. I chose Stockton for youngest DS because after not getting accepted at TCNJ he didn't care where he went and told me to pick:confused3. So I picked the cheapest and smallest school for him. It was a good choice as he is very quite. I do have to say that back when he was there (graduated in 2006) the school was a suitcase school with not many kids staying on campus for the weekend. I think most of your private schools will give you a decent amount of money whereas your in state schools don't always give you anything, as in our case. Good luck it is a big decision.

As I said to the PP, I'll definitely check into Stockton but again, not sure DD will want somewhere she has to commute/come home on weekends, although I think a smaller campus might be a good thing.

So much to consider and look into. It's going to be tough finding time to visit campuses with Color Guard practice and games, but we'll find the time. Also, they have many colleges that come to their school in either September or October, so I'll start there.

Keep those opinions, experiences, recommendations coming and thank you to all those who were so kind as to post. :cool1:

And honestly, I know the school has a great name, but I wonder if that comes from their football moreso than their academics?
Seriously? Just because Rutgers beat Princeton in the first intercollegiate football game (1869), the reality is that Rutgers has had a truly competitive football program for less than 10 years. However, Rutgers has been an extremely highly regarded academic institution for DECADES with a history spanning more than two centuries "on the banks".

Yes, it is a large, public university spanning several campuses just in the New Brunswick area. But that just means that there is great diversity in the student body and tons of opportunities for a student to develop their own social circle that matches their personality, interests and values. There are so many diverse organizations, clubs and activities that most students should be able to find a group of peers for fun, friendship and academic support on campus.

That said, NJ is fortunate to be home to a number of excellent colleges and universities so the most important thing is to keep an open mind and find the school that provides the best balance of academic and social programs to fit the individual student's needs.

Seriously? Just because Rutgers beat Princeton in the first intercollegiate football game (1869), the reality is that Rutgers has had a truly competitive football program for less than 10 years. However, Rutgers has been an extremely highly regarded academic institution for DECADES with a history spanning more than two centuries "on the banks".

Yes, it is a large, public university spanning several campuses just in the New Brunswick area. But that just means that there is great diversity in the student body and tons of opportunities for a student to develop their own social circle that matches their personality, interests and values. There are so many diverse organizations, clubs and activities that most students should be able to find a group of peers for fun, friendship and academic support on campus.

That said, NJ is fortunate to be home to a number of excellent colleges and universities so the most important thing is to keep an open mind and find the school that provides the best balance of academic and social programs to fit the individual student's needs.

Didn't mean to offend anyone but honestly, being from NJ my entire life, Rutgers was always thought of as a good school, nothing fantastic, until they started winning football games. And I've had many people tell me that it's very easy to get into Rutgers, although I guess it does depend on which school you're applying. I'd be perfectly happy if my daughter got into Rutgers and a good program, as long as she had a good experience, but I'm not thrilled at the idea of her having no personal interaction with professors or campus personnel. I'd rather she have a more personal experience and not just be a number that no one knows or really pays attention to or cares about. I'm not looking for a handholding experience or for her to be babied, but I would like someone to care about whether she does well.

PrincessKsMom said:
And I've had many people tell me that it's very easy to get into Rutgers, although I guess it does depend on which school you're applying.

I've always heard the Camden campus is easier to get into than the New Brunswick. Not sure if there is any truth to that. But I certainly would not want to take night classes in Camden!

This comment confuses me. Using US News as a source I found the following about tuition rates:

Rutgers in state approx 12k
TCNJ in state approx 13k
Pitt out of state 25k
PSU out of state 28k
West Chester out of state 17k

And Pitt and PSU's in state tuition are more expensive than Rutgers and TCNJ.

I believe that with room and board factored in to both PA state schools and NJ state schools, they run within a couple of thousand either way. At least that is what we found. We are in NJ and looked at schools but with dorming being the option...if you factor that into the equation, they are fairly close. We looked at Kutztown, Millersville, West Chester, East Stroudsburg, York (private), and a couple of others that I can't recall off the top of my head. As for NJ, we looked at Rutgers, William Paterson, Montclair, Ramapo, Stockton, Rowan and TCNJ.

I've always heard the Camden campus is easier to get into than the New Brunswick. Not sure if there is any truth to that. But I certainly would not want to take night classes in Camden!

Camden is easier to get into but agree about night classes. A HS classmate of my DS goes to the Camden campus and loves it but not sure if he takes night classes. I would talk to him if my DS decides to transfer there as he is now home at community college after going to school and dorming last year.

As my daughter begins her junior year, thought I'd reach out to those who have been down this road before.

DD is a good student. Freshman year took all honors courses. Sophomore year was honors with a college prep level (lower) science. Junior year will be AP English/History, college prep level math and science. Her lowest grades are about and 83-84. Her weighted average is approx. 93. Good student, not great. And I'm learning to be okay with that. Had her take the SATs this pasted June as I thought it would be her best opportunity since she just finished Alegebra II/Geometry. Well her total for 3 sections was a 1560 (I think I'm remembering correctly). Minus the writing portion it's a 1030.

We've already discussed the fact that she is not willing to kill herself to get substantially better grades. I'm hoping she'll be able to bring each section up about 100 points by the next test.

She also wants to go away to college. And doesn't know what she wants to study, although she tends to enjoy artistic things. So what are our NJ options? I can't see her getting any scholarship money so I've told her I believe the reality is she needs to stay closer to home and take advantage of in-state tuition. I also told her that community college for two years might also have to be an option. She's not happy about that and I don't think our community college is all that good, but if it means saving money and not coming out with astronomical loans, so be it.

So please, if you have any first-hand knowledge of the NJ colleges and universities, I'd love to hear from you!

My DS19 was a 2011 HS graduate and we have been in your shoes...we are in NJ as well. We did look at some PA schools, as if you are going to dorm, we found that they are comparable in price to NJ state schools (if you dorm). We looked at Ramapo, Montclair, William Paterson, Rowan, Stockton, Rutgers and TCNJ in NJ. We looked at Millersville, Kutztown, York, East Stroudsburg and West Chester in PA. DS applied to Ramapo, Rowan, Stockton, TCNJ, York, West Chester and Kutztown. He got in all but TCNJ.

We are originally from North Jersey, so know the area up there and now live in South Jersey so know down here. My DS did not like Rutgers as it was way too big for him. He preferred a smaller D3 school at the time. We started doing the tours/open houses in his Jr. year so that once his senior year started, he did all of the applying...early, so it was done and over with. However, he did need me to light a candle under his you know what to get him going. He did take an SAT prep course and a college essay course - that gave him rough drafts of 4 different essays. however, to get him to finalize them was not easy. LOL

Ultimately, he chose Ramapo and while it is an excellent school, it turned out to be the wrong fit for him. Therefore, he is back home going to community college and then will transfer for the last 2 years.

If you consider dorming, be prepared that many of these schools are suit case schools and that many are not around for the weekends. My son did stay on campus most weekends but it was dead. Also, if you choose a school that is a bit further for you (such as us being in south Jersey, going to school in North Jersey), check out public transportation to get them home on weekends if you don't want to make the trek yourself. At least at Ramapo, Freshman can not have cars on campus. DS was able to take a shuttle to the train station and the train down (did need to transfer in Secaucus). My DS had wanted to play baseball for the school, so that would give him something to do but most freshman were red shirted...he was a walk on, not recruited.

I wish you lots of luck as it is a very hard and tedious journey at times. I am so glad we are beyond it all. If I had it to do over again there is a lot I'd do different but DS is an only so we learned it all with him and I have no "do-overs".....lol Trust me, you will get through it and all will be good.

After going through the college search and selection process twice, we did find that out of state privates can give enough merit and financial aid to make it close to a NJ state college in cost. That being said, the student needed to be near the top (maybe 20%) of the applicant pool at that private college to make it work.

We looked at several NJ schools in both searches including Drew, Rider, William Paterson, Montclair, and Rutgers as well as several private colleges in PA and NY.

Hopefully, your DD can study and work hard enough to bring up her SAT scores. If she can do that, it would probably increase merit money at a school like Rider. Depending on what she wants to study in college and what type of environment she would like (small, medium, large, urban, suburban, rural) she might want to look at Misericordia Univ. in PA. It is a small (<2000 students) school that might give enough merit money with her stats as they are now. I would also have her look at Rider as they were pretty generous with merit. Here is a link to their current merit scholarships http://www.rider.edu/offices-services/finaid/scholarships-grants/freshmen-scholarships . Looks like she would qualify for 9000-14000, but tuition is 32,000 and then add room and board and you still have a hefty bill. Would she qualify for any need based aid?

Well...ask me again in a few weeks...My dd is getting ready to head to Ramapo College of New Jersey. She already made their dance team and has been going up there for dance for a few weeks now. So far she LOVES the school...well, I should say she loves the other dancers!! Both dh and I are very happy with Ramapo so far...again...wait a few weeks and ask me again..

My DS19 was at Ramapo last year! What dorm is she in? My DS was in Mackin. Which food plan did you go for? Let me know if you have any questions. It's a beautiful campus.
Good luck to your DD.

Thank you all so much. I'm really getting so much information and great advice. Guess we'd better expand the search field to at least include a few close by, but out of state, schools.

As for financial aid, can't imagine we would get anything.

DD has said she would like a bigger sized school (her high school is approx. 2600 kids) in a suburban setting, close to a big city but with a rural feel. :rotfl: Not asking for much. ;) I was so gung ho over Rutgers but it worries me which campus she might have classes on and that she won't have a community-type experience. I'd like her to still have some sort of connection to people and the school once she graduates. I hate the idea that she could well be in a big school and have no personal connections. Seems so sad to go through 4 years like that. She's not a very outgoing type of person so I'm sure it might be stressful for her to reach out to others to make friends.

Did anyone take into consideration comments on websites like College Confidential when deciding what schools to look at? Do you think they are a good guage of the overall college experience?

My DS19 was at Ramapo last year! What dorm is she in? My DS was in Mackin. Which food plan did you go for? Let me know if you have any questions. It's a beautiful campus.
Good luck to your DD.

She is in pine. She wanted the Ultimate dinning plan.

I was so gung ho over Rutgers but it worries me which campus she might have classes on and that she won't have a community-type experience. I'd like her to still have some sort of connection to people and the school once she graduates. I hate the idea that she could well be in a big school and have no personal connections. Seems so sad to go through 4 years like that. She's not a very outgoing type of person so I'm sure it might be stressful for her to reach out to others to make friends.
I graduated from Rutgers before your daughter was born (which just makes me feel sad and old) so I know things have changed but I definitely was able to find my own community within the larger University community. I wasn't very outgoing myself - very self-conscious and shy - but I quickly made friends in my dorm, in my classes and through various activities. I moved out of NJ almost 13 years ago and I still keep in touch with many of my college friends. In fact, just a few weeks ago I had dinner with some college friends who were in town on vacation. I also get together occasionally with other local Rutgers Alumni for football watching parties and other Rutgers related events.

I don't know if your family is Catholic, but if you are, the Catholic Center at Rutgers is a great community of students and staff who support each other on all levels from faith, to friendship to academics. And I don't think they give catechism tests, so even if you guys aren't Catholic, it could still be someplace where she could meet people and make friends and become part of a community. I know some of the brothers who are on staff there and they are truly wonderful, caring people who are dedicated to the students they work with.

Good luck to you and your daughter in making her college decision. I know it isn't easy.

Have her work on her standardized test scores. Higher scores really do open up new doors for more college options. Has she thought about taking the ACT? I took both SAT and ACT and did better on the latter. As for prep books, I'd go with the official book for each (blue book for the SAT, red book for the ACT). They have a summary of concepts on the tests and real practice tests.

Also, I've used websites like College Confidential and College Prowler for my college searches. I've found them to be very helpful tools, especially because you can find opinions on colleges from actual students.

Hi all! Digging up my old thread hoping some of you will want to share your updated experiences with colleges.

Anything is helpful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter