Nikon D80

I was in the Cincinnati/Covington KY area all week. Though I had to work all day and into some evenings, I managed to get a "few" shots... I wish I would have brought my new tripod with me, but at the last second, I decided to travel light and just take the Gorillapod.
Come with me on my photo shoot!

My hotel was right on the river. It was just steps away from this lovely old suspension bridge.
Bridgeintocity.jpg

The paddlewheelers weren't running. Too bad--I was hoping to catch a dinner cruise, as I had back in 1983 when I first moved to Ohio.

Paddlewheel.jpg

BelleofCincinnati.jpg

I decided to cross over the bridge and see what was on the other side.. I got lots of fun pictures around the ballpark, but I liked this one the best. Had an odd experience with Reds Security. One Security guy was happy to let me through the turnstiles to take a few pics of the concourse. Later that evening, another Security guy asked me if I was with the Reds. I said "No" and he told me in no uncertain terms that I could not take pictures of the stadium due to the post-911 security risk that this might pose. Sheesh!!! (Remind me not to walk around ballparks wearing my burqa and tennis shoes with wires sticking out next time--LOL)
Ballplayersstatue.jpg

On the way back to the hotel...Crossing back over. And cursing myself that I didn't have my tripod with me. I stuck my camera and Gorilla pod on a railing and shot fast.
Bridge3.jpg

Caronbridge.jpg

OK, I have to tell you. I'm not real big on bridges. Well, I guess the bridge is OK--it's the long drop into the cold, dark water that I'm kinda worried about. And suspension bridges tend to move. A lot. But hung my gorillapod onto the rail (with the strap of the camera safely aound my neck) and captured this from the first pier on the bridge later in the evening.
Nightskyline.jpg

This was actually one of my favorite shots. Something about the lighting, the old bricks and the red door really caught my eye. This is under the bridge pier. Don't tell my husband about this one. I took this at about 9 or so at night. Probably not the best Idea to be hanging out under a bridge pier. By myself. Where no one can see. Especially being an old fat woman who can't run. With camera gear that might look attractive to some. But I just had to get this shot! As I was taking a few frames, a stray dog walked over to me. Since I wasn't paying attention, the little mongrel brushed across my leg and scared the crap out of me! Good thing I'm a dog lover, or that little guy might have ended up on the river.
Reddoor.jpg

The Reds were playing at home. You can't tell by looking at the stands! No one was there. I guess they really suck. I dunno-- I don't follow them, being a White Sox fan. Looking into the empty stands, I remembered when I was living in Chicago in the 1970s. I could park my car on the street practically right outside old Comiskey Park, buy a crappy $2 seat and sit down front. During those days, in September, the Sox were always, always near the bottom of the heap. But it didn't matter: the beer was cold and the hot dogs were tasty.
Ballpark.jpg

On this particular evening, I was planning to just grab a quick dinner and go back to the hotel. So I didn't have my Gorillapod with me. Wouldn't ya know--it was an evening with the most beautiful sunset I've seen in a good long while. Had to shoot this with the camera balanced on my wallet, which sat on a railing. Tragically, way too much shake to make this much of a photo, but you get the idea of just how glorious this sunset was. I removed some wires from the photo, but this is otherwise right out of the camera.
Sunset.jpg

Looking at these two just warmed my heart. And made me miss my husband, who was back home. Should have opened up the aperture just a little bit wider. Maybe they'll pose again for me sometime.
Couple.jpg

Maybe better as a B&W photo?
CoupleBW.jpg

I want to go back here one day. Love that dirty thirty hand held.
Newportaquarium.jpg

Walked around in Covington a bit before going to dinner one evening.
Inside the Trinity Episcopal Church, I was lucky to catch the light streaming through this golden window. (And since it's been awhile since I've been in a church, I was also lucky that it didn't collapse right on top of me).
Goldstainedglass.jpg

glasscross.jpg

One of the windows in the nave.
altarwindow.jpg

The particular street I was walking on is known as wedding row for all the bridal shops.
Weddingdress.jpg

There was a little sculpture park outside of a place called Children's Inc. The statues there were so whimsical. I was glad I had my camera with me. Again, with the dirty thirty. One of the reasons I still haven't gone full frame. I do love this lens.
Kidssculpture.jpg

I hope you all enjoyed this little Photo trip with me! Thanks for looking. Next time, I ought to just blow off work and take pictures. On second thought, I better keep my day job! :goodvibes

Beautiful, beautiful! I can see why you took the risk for the door pic, I was drawn to it immediately too. And your commentary was awesome!:thumbsup2

Very nice!!!

But why did you leave the D700 at home. Probably because you knew you would be standing alone under a pier to get that great red door shot!! Am I right???? :rotfl:

Nice pictures! It's kind of in my backyard, sort of. Well, about an hour and 40 minutes or so.;)

I was at the Newport Aquarium about a year and a half ago and they were working on a new jellyfish exhibit. We've been talking about going back again soon to see how it turned out, and maybe check out the Hofbrauhaus next to it.

DD just moved to Cincy to start grad school. First apartment and all. As soon as we get a free weekend and she's going to be in town (keeps going to see her boyfriend):rolleyes: we'll make it up there.

I can definitely give a two thumbs up recommendation for the Schweinhaxe and the beer! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Nice pictures! We've been talking about going back again soon to see how it turned out, and maybe check out the Hofbrauhaus next to it.

That someone would actually swipe the D80 and then I'd HAVE to get a new camera!

Very nice!!!

But why did you leave the D700 at home. Probably because you knew you would be standing alone under a pier to get that great red door shot!! Am I right???? :rotfl:

Great mini photo trip report. I enjoyed all the pics ... even the ones with a little shake due to no tripod. You still managed to capture some great photos without it!! I totally understand your going down below the bridge, after dark, alone, camera gear around your neck to get a shot of a red door, I probably would have done it too.

Really liked your pictures, especially the first bridge at night and your humor is a hoot. I'm just like you tromping around all over to get pictures and then scaring myself!

Great shots. :thumbsup2 Loved the one of the empty stadium. I would be worried walking around at night in a strange area and I am 6'4". You are a brave soul.

I'm looking for a cross body strap for my D80. I love my camera and can't imagine going (again) to WDW without it :) The problem is that it gets really heavy around my neck and I like to keep it out of my bag except on fast rides. So can anyone make a suggestion? And of course DH will need the info of where to purchase it. Thanks, Cheryl :goodvibes

Black Rapid

This is the most popular across the body camera strap used on here. If you check the various threads here you will find a few threads dedicated to it.

Follow up question--I assume that if I go with the RS-4 I also need to buy the connectors?

It comes with the connectors. I highly recommend them. Used them for 9 days recently in a row and did not have shoulder stress.

Thanks, I saw that the connectors were included after I posted ;)

Thanks for all your help, I ordered the black rapid RS 4 today:)

I have a RS-N2 Camera Remote Control Shutter Release Switch for Nikon D80 made by Yongnuo, if someone wants it please PM me and I will send it to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter