News Round Up 2020

So how is it that Disney can add a new project for Splash Mountain while they’ve got so many others in progress or being delayed/cancelled? Nobody could have predicted Covid and it disrupted a lot, but what does this mean for all of that now? They spent years trying to get Disney World in top shape for its 50th and now there’s going to be so much undone (if they’re even functioning at decent capacity by then - the way things are going I don’t have much confidence in the state of things come next October). It just seems to me that now instead of having a construction-free Magic Kingdom by then, we may have unfinished Tron and a big name attraction closed for retheming. :guilty: I don’t even want to start on Epcot and how long until that park feels complete. I was so excited for the 50th anniversary but it doesn’t feel like it will be what it could have been.

So how is it that Disney can add a new project for Splash Mountain while they’ve got so many others in progress or being delayed/cancelled? Nobody could have predicted Covid and it disrupted a lot, but what does this mean for all of that now? They spent years trying to get Disney World in top shape for its 50th and now there’s going to be so much undone (if they’re even functioning at decent capacity by then - the way things are going I don’t have much confidence in the state of things come next October). It just seems to me that now instead of having a construction-free Magic Kingdom by then, we may have unfinished Tron and a big name attraction closed for retheming. :guilty: I don’t even want to start on Epcot and how long until that park feels complete. I was so excited for the 50th anniversary but it doesn’t feel like it will be what it could have been.
Per what disney has said this was in the works and approved prior. I’m sure current events helped not cancel said project. Bob Weis was also quoted in saying projects far along such as Avengers Campus and Tron will continue but other projects (presumably Epcot) will get reassessed.

Per what disney has said this was in the works and approved prior. I’m sure current events helped not cancel said project. Bob Weis was also quoted in saying projects far along such as Avengers Campus and Tron will continue but other projects (presumably Epcot) will get reassessed.
Which is sad because it’s not far along but it’s led to massive destruction of the park which will now sit a mess for who knows how long?

At this point and given the current financial situation the 50th "celebration" may consist of a press release on October 1, a cupcake and merchandise sales.

Not to go too far down that rabbit hole, but that song is problematic too as it references Zip Coon, a minstrel show performance featuring black face. So Disney has tried to associate the song with other things as well but it's not just a fun song with no context
Thank you for reminding us of context! It's easy to ignore, but remembering the movie and theme of the song makes it deeply uncomfortable for my family and possibly painful for some folks. Not very magical.

Thank you for reminding us of context! It's easy to ignore, but remembering the movie and theme of the song makes it deeply uncomfortable for my family and possibly painful for some folks. Not very magical.

True.

On a side note, you've been earning your ears for quite a long time :D

I think the issue with multiple of them is attachment to a film with questionable segments, same as Song of the South has. So Dumbo and Peter Pan are really in the same boat there. But perhaps just reworking the Indians would be enough.

Carousel’s main complaints seem to be focused on inclusion, so easily fixed with a new script. American Adventure and Country Bears, are about the same there, a new script could solve the issues. Maybe add in a third narrator like Frederick Douglas in AA.

Small World kind of needs an overhaul to remove a lot of stereotyping.

The problem is, if you go far enough into it, Disney has a whole lot more that could be deemed problematic.
But Disney hasn't been otherwise trying to pretend that Peter Pan and Dumbo don't exist for the last 40 years. So I think we're a ways away from anything around that.

I love Splash Mountain now, but (despite my profile picture) I am not black and I am not directly impacted by the legacy of SotS, so I can't sit here and say for sure that it's OK to be there. I get changing it and really do look forward to the new version. I hope it's still fun, upbeat, chipper, and that they find some way to give me a Zip-a-dee-do-dah moment at the end, not matter what the song is.

I do hope I get to ride it again a time or three in the mean time. Sounds like the changes are a long way off from the DPB post and imagineer interview.

I love Splash Mountain now, but (despite my profile picture) I am not black and I am not directly impacted by the legacy of SotS, so I can't sit here and say for sure that it's OK to be there. I get changing it and really do look forward to the new version. I hope it's still fun, upbeat, chipper, and that they find some way to give me a Zip-a-dee-do-dah moment at the end, not matter what the song is.

I do hope I get to ride it again a time or three in the mean time. Sounds like the changes are a long way off from the DPB post and imagineer interview.

I can understand the reasoning even if disappointed about the loss of a monumental attraction. I seriously hope that this will be a multi year retheming. I fear the worst, that it’ll just be Tiana getting Jack Sparrowed into the place. Really hope I’m wrong.

I do appreciate that they seem to be giving us all time to ride. I know I’ll be doing my best to 3D map the entire attraction before it closes. Hopefully others will be as well.

Splash Mountain never really fit either ... - Splash Mountain isn't the Western frontier based. It is Reconstruction-era South based.
Is it? What on the ride ties it to the reconstruction period? I've never seen the movie, and if no one told me I'd have no idea Splash was based on it.

The characters on it are originally based on the Uncle Remus stories, that were based on black folklore. So I really don't see how the characters are offensive if not tied back to the movie.

I'm not against this change, Princess & The Frog is a good movie and I love the music. But I also like non-movie based rides and splash is basically a non-movie ride in my eyes.

I know POP is most likely not going to open on time (because Disney altered UT about our late july stay). What else is not rumored to open on time? Disney's site still lists Pop on 7/10, but evidently that's not happening. Any hearing anything on what the chances are they delay opening the parks further?

I know POP is most likely not going to open on time (because Disney altered UT about our late july stay). What else is not rumored to open on time? Disney's site still lists Pop on 7/10, but evidently that's not happening. Any hearing anything on what the chances are they delay opening the parks further?
What exactly did UT tell you?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter