News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea! They actually have one in Kansas City, but I'll be freezing at an MLS Playoff Game that night instead of being inside in a nice warm theater enjoying a complimentary movie. :D
I would have had to drive to KC to see this.....but I'll be in Orlando.....

Egads. I love pink. And puppies. The Dooney bands don't do any sounds when scanned though, do they?

Well with the negativeness around Johnny right now I’m not so sure. Disney doesn’t want to do much work with him right now.

I vote for Johnny to be replaced by Ricky Fowler. For some reason I always thought they reminded me of each other.

I realize that we probably have different opinions about this film.

If there is a Disney movie I am looking forward to most next year, it is by far the Lion King. The technology looks amazing. Oh...and it is my favorite Disney animated movie. :D
Right .. but .. it's the SAME story. I mean using CGI they could make a frame by frame remake of the animated cartoon.
It just feels like your local theater group remaking a classic play or musical. You know the story, you just go to see their "take" on it.

I felt the same way watching Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast. Sure .. the like-action remakes were visually stunning, but overall I felt bored watching it because I have already seen it. I was watching to just see what it LOOKED like .. (and sounded like). Both great, but not enough for me to go to the theater to see it. I still haven't seen Jungle Book yet. I'm not saying this will be a bad movie, I just don't have interest in it.

To me there is a difference of seeing a story "come to life" (like Harry Potter) because it originally was a book compared to just doing a CGI remake of a not very old cartoon.

I guess I don't see who they are marketing these movies too. The animated movies are READILY available - anywhere - thanks to Streaming and DVD sales. The grandparent generation don't really go to theaters to see movies. The 30-50 year old Disney fans (like myself) have seen (and probably own) the originals and shown them to their kids tons of times already. A CGI movie doesn't look "kid-friendly", so we aren't taking our kids to these remakes. So .. is this movie for the child-less teen to 20-somethings who grew up on the DVDs (VHS was gone by then) of the originals and itching to see an "adult" version of them for nostalgia? Seems to fit the millennial mold - retro, but new -- which is cool.

Disney could probably make a lot of money (at a LOT less up-front cost) just re-releasing the original movies in the theaters. With theaters having that big recliner comfort factor now, I think a lot of us would go and see them again on the big screen.

Also, FWIW. I do think Johnny Depp, could play just about anything TBH....Not necessarily a fan, but he is a great actor... The rock, Meh

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to say....my DW Basically loves him:confused3

Disney could probably make a lot of money (at a LOT less up-front cost) just re-releasing the original movies in the theaters. With theaters having that big recliner comfort factor now, I think a lot of us would go and see them again on the big screen.
Disney has already done this, and I don't think they earned a lot of money from doing so. I even held back from going to see the Lion King and other Disney animated movies again in the theaters, because...Why spend money when I already own them on DVD? Just to go see it on a bigger screen with a better sound system?

I understand that this is probably going to be the same story like almost every Disney live-action film/remake.

Why am I going to see this movie? Because it interests me. I don't consider myself a millennial because I don't need to support something just because it's "retro but new." I haven't seen every Disney live-action remake/movie. I'm not the biggest Tim Burton fan at all. When Disney announced that he was going to do Dumbo, I thought that there was no way I was going to want to see that movie, because I just know I don't like his style. However, with the two trailers that have come out, they have definitely made me interested because the movie looks like they have several "normal" sections to them.

Personally, I think people go to see these movies for the reason you said...Nastolgia and technology. The technology is what is really perking my interest to see the Lion King. After seeing Jungle Book (on a whim because I was unsure if I wanted to see that movie), all I could think about while watching it was when was Disney going to make the Lion King in this style?

I don't know who Disney is trying to target with these movies. That is because every time I have seen a Disney live-action film, I have seen grandparents, adults, teens, and kids in the movie theater. I think Disney isn't targeting a specific generation. I think they are targeting Disney fans. They know these movies work, and they continue to bring them money. Just like the theme parks and raising prices. They know people are still going to come and the parks are still going to be crowded. Well, they know if they make these movies, Disney fans will come. A lot of people I talk to say that the Lion King is always up in their top 3 Disney films. This is coming from older people, adults, and people my age. I expect this movie to do well.

That’s right now. I’m talking about the lead actor as a draw, with the ability to effectively and charismatically anchor a new movie based on an attraction.

Depp for all his flaws is a very talented actor. The Rock is not.

Totally disagree about The Rock!!! He is so charismatic that they tried to make him a villain back in his wrestling days and they couldn't, everyone loved him!

While I agree all his movies aren't the greatest, his comedic timing is impeccable and he's just so charming. Love to watch him in movies and so do many others, thus the reason even his crappy movies do well.

All that said, I can't say I was dying for a Jungle Cruise movie.
The Lion King I don't have interest in.

Dumbo I die for. Sad clown-face Dumbo about killed me. Can't wait.

Totally disagree about The Rock!!! He is so charismatic that they tried to make him a villain back in his wrestling days and they couldn't, everyone loved him!

While I agree all his movies aren't the greatest, his comedic timing is impeccable and he's just so charming. Love to watch him in movies and so do many others, thus the reason even his crappy movies do well.

Agree to DISAGREE... for sure. I find him incredibly annoying and talentless. He's enough to make me NOT see a movie. But that's me... :)

ah, you are forgetting the start to the Rock's career - as Rocky Miavia, the Face with a smile on his face all the time .... and the crowd hated him. Then he turned heel and became The Rock and the rest is history (overtime he turned Face, and then back to Heel as the Corporate champion). Then finally full Face with the Rock and Sock connection - but the buck of his career - particularly his time as champion, he was a heel (a "cool heel" but a heel nonetheless")

That said, I love The Rock, but his best acting roles are where he is basically playing "The Rock"

Disney has already done this, and I don't think they earned a lot of money from doing so. I even held back from going to see the Lion King and other Disney animated movies again in the theaters, because...Why spend money when I already own them on DVD? Just to go see it on a bigger screen with a better sound system?

I understand that this is probably going to be the same story like almost every Disney live-action film/remake.

Why am I going to see this movie? Because it interests me. I don't consider myself a millennial because I don't need to support something just because it's "retro but new." I haven't seen every Disney live-action remake/movie. I'm not the biggest Tim Burton fan at all. When Disney announced that he was going to do Dumbo, I thought that there was no way I was going to want to see that movie, because I just know I don't like his style. However, with the two trailers that have come out, they have definitely made me interested because the movie looks like they have several "normal" sections to them.

Personally, I think people go to see these movies for the reason you said...Nastolgia and technology. The technology is what is really perking my interest to see the Lion King. After seeing Jungle Book (on a whim because I was unsure if I wanted to see that movie), all I could think about while watching it was when was Disney going to make the Lion King in this style?

I don't know who Disney is trying to target with these movies. That is because every time I have seen a Disney live-action film, I have seen grandparents, adults, teens, and kids in the movie theater. I think Disney isn't targeting a specific generation. I think they are targeting Disney fans. They know these movies work, and they continue to bring them money. Just like the theme parks and raising prices. They know people are still going to come and the parks are still going to be crowded. Well, they know if they make these movies, Disney fans will come. A lot of people I talk to say that the Lion King is always up in their top 3 Disney films. This is coming from older people, adults, and people my age. I expect this movie to do well.
I don't' blame them if it works. I guess I don't understand why it does.

In the end, as long as Disney continues to make NEW animated movies (that they can remake in 20 years), I'm okay. I just know these remakes are in the "maybe watch them on Netflix when nothing else is on" category for me.

It does bring the story to a new generation that maybe (somehow?) never saw the original Lion King .. or avoid it because "it's a kid's cartoon". So I guess I see Disney doing this to "adultify" some of the Disney IPs. There are just a lot of people who have a perception that anything animated is "kiddie" and won't give it to the time of day. They probably will give this a go because it looks "dark" and "serious".

I mean, even the Lion King story isn't new, but people are entertained by it anyway. Ask someone to watch Hamlet and they would go "bleh". Ask them to watch the "Lion King" and they are all over it. :)

Hmm are we doing upcoming movies we are excited/not excited for?

I'll play.

Dumbo: no interest. First teaser trailer made me a bit sad, this new one did nothing for me. Don't really like big budget Tim Burton movies. All flash, no substance.

Lion King: will see it, but afraid it's going to be a shot for shot remake. I appreciate when the live action remakes actually bring something new to the table.

Mulan: so excited for the live action, though we don't have a lot to go on.

Jungle Cruise: excited because it's the Jungle Cruise and I love that ride. I also like the Rock. You always hear stories about him being such a nice guy and that matters to me. I also don't think I have quite as discerning of tastes in actors as other people. It really takes a supremely bad actor to take me out of the story. Johnny Depp is just ok for me. If he really does beat women then I have even less interest in him. Don't really care for these tortured artists who are supposedly great artists but terrible human beings (Roman Polanski for example). There's other art to look at.

ah, you are forgetting the start to the Rock's career - as Rocky Miavia, the Face with a smile on his face all the time .... and the crowd hated him. Then he turned heel and became The Rock and the rest is history (overtime he turned Face, and then back to Heel as the Corporate champion). Then finally full Face with the Rock and Sock connection - but the buck of his career - particularly his time as champion, he was a heel (a "cool heel" but a heel nonetheless")

That said, I love The Rock, but his best acting roles are where he is basically playing "The Rock"

Yeah, everyone loved him as the villain, he is so charismatic.

No one is saying the man should win an Oscar for best dramatic actor, but he sure is fun to watch.

Me either - same Mufasa and everything :guilty:...

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter