News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Atlanta, so you got me curious. Had never heard of this chain. There's a handful in the atlanta area, but none actually in the city of atlanta (one has an atlanta address, but it's actually either in Dunwoody or Sandy Springs). They're all north of the city. Too far away for me to casually try, oh well.

Yes. We are usually running the perimeter roads around Atlanta in the motorhome to/from somewhere else. I wouldn't make a special trip, but if you are out that way it's a good lunch/dinner chain. Unlimited salad bar, soups, some carb stuff. Good quality food, fresh. Not cheap but you used to be able to get a lot of coupons.

When I lived in South Florida my wife and I ate at Sweet Tomatoes at least once a week. It was a favorite spot. When we moved to Alabama the closest one was in Atlanta. Whenever we go by one in Atlanta we stop. Similarly, on many of our annual trips to her family in FL we stop at this one in Orlando. I will be very sad to see it go as I might have to reroute an already long journey to find another one I can roll on and off the Interstate in the motorhome to eat at!
Yes, I'm also an Alabama person who loves Sweet Tomatoes!! I SO wish they would build some locations in Alabama. We always go to the one in Sarasota when we are at my uncle's place at the beach. I've only been to one in the Orlando area.

Yes. We are usually running the perimeter roads around Atlanta in the motorhome to/from somewhere else. I wouldn't make a special trip, but if you are out that way it's a good lunch/dinner chain. Unlimited salad bar, soups, some carb stuff. Good quality food, fresh. Not cheap but you used to be able to get a lot of coupons.
Dude, you left out the soft-serve ice cream and toppings!

They closed the one near me. We went a few times. Like you said, there always seemed to be good coupons available to make it very affordable.

Dude, you left out the soft-serve ice cream and toppings!

They closed the one near me. We went a few times. Like you said, there always seemed to be good coupons available to make it very affordable.

The one at Regency? When we moved back here we were sad to see it closed.

News

Universal announces new Value hotel names and pricing!

https://blog.universalorlando.com/w...r-resort/?__source=av.TWITTER&linkId=50093458

$73 a night for a regular room or $111 for a family suite....

$300+ for a “value” family suite at Disney...

Honestly, of all the things Disney has done to push people off site, this to me is an even bigger blow. I haven't included Universal into a trip since 2014 but at those prices, not only would I consider staying there to save money, I think I'd also be ok with making it a Universal trip with a day or two at Disney.

hmmm...I maybe was expecting something a bit more "futuristic" but those dials/knobs/switches seem a little "current" rather than "long long ago in a galaxy far far away"....

I was thinking the same thing - but it does sort of look like the level of technology in, say, the Millenium Falcon controls

hmmm...I maybe was expecting something a bit more "futuristic" but those dials/knobs/switches seem a little "current" rather than "long long ago in a galaxy far far away"....
Star Wars has always had a sense of futurism for me even though its set a long time ago. I mean spaceships and massive weaponry isn't something they had a long time ago...

I was thinking the same thing - but it does sort of look like the level of technology in, say, the Millenium Falcon controls

Yeah, they have the 1970s look nailed, but I think they should have bent the rules a little here. That's asking a lot of todays teens to suspend belief enough for that look to work. They could have kept the overall aesthetic of mechanical rather than solid state, but made the switches beefier and a little more expensive looking. As for that silk-screening... I know the falcon has to look like the falcon, but things on screen don't translate well to physical space. I don't think people would care too much if the falcon felt a little 'realer' than how its depicted in the movies.

As for the rest of it, Galaxies Edge has freedom to bend away from the 1970s look that informed the original trilogy, I think it's a mistake not to use that freedom.

Yes, I was expecting something more like a lot of blinking lights, etc....not WW2 vintage looking stuff....

WW2? Hardly. That stuff looks exactly like a product of when the first movie was made, albeit with cheap backlit lamps being replaced with LEDs. 'Futuristic' dates at a terrifying clip, so some retro-ism is smart. I think, for example, the Battle Star Galactica reboot did a good job of looking functional instead of retro, and I suspect the sets will age better than, for example, the Star Trek Next Gen sets did. Blaupunkt-cassette-deck-in-space is not a great look though for me, and honestly, IMV will jar badly with the styling cues shown for the hotel.

Yeah, they have the 1970s look nailed, but I think they should have bent the rules a little here. That's asking a lot of todays teens to suspend belief enough for that look to work. They could have kept the overall aesthetic of mechanical rather than solid state, but made the switches beefier and a little more expensive looking. As for that silk-screening... I know the falcon has to look like the falcon, but things on screen don't translate well to physical space. I don't think people would care too much if the falcon felt a little 'realer' than how its depicted in the movies.

As for the rest of it, Galaxies Edge has freedom to bend away from the 1970s look that informed the original trilogy, I think it's a mistake not to use that freedom.

It's a tough position - an probably why they went with a new planet rather than recreating something fully in Star Wars - is you know the uber fans will pick everything apart as not authentic, etc. ...

One thing with it being on the outer rim you probably have all sorts of people and classes of ships - so probably makes the most sense to have a mixture of things ... so some "older" looking stuff but then more modern stuff - especially with the First Order side of the land

How's the "dogs allowed" experiment coming? Anyone heard anything lately?

Last edited:
Universal 2018 (or early 2019) addition rumors from Theme park University

http://themeparkuniversity.com/univ...ou-can-expect-from-universal-orlando-in-2018/

#5 A Bourne Identity Show Headed to Universal Studios Florida
#4 Jurassic Park in Islands of Adventure is Getting A New Attraction
#3 Nintendo Is Being Spread Out On Three Different Lands Within Three Parks
#2 New Lagoon Show At Universal Studios Florida Will Be EPIC
#1 New Harry Potter Coaster Headed to Islands of Adventure

Universal 2018 (or early 2019) addition rumors from Theme park University

http://themeparkuniversity.com/univ...ou-can-expect-from-universal-orlando-in-2018/

#5 A Bourne Identity Show Headed to Universal Studios Florida
#4 Jurassic Park in Islands of Adventure is Getting A New Attraction
#3 Nintendo Is Being Spread Out On Three Different Lands Within Three Parks
#2 New Lagoon Show At Universal Studios Florida Will Be EPIC
#1 New Harry Potter Coaster Headed to Islands of Adventure

Thanks for sharing, that was a good read.

When I lived in South Florida my wife and I ate at Sweet Tomatoes at least once a week. It was a favorite spot. When we moved to Alabama the closest one was in Atlanta. Whenever we go by one in Atlanta we stop. Similarly, on many of our annual trips to her family in FL we stop at this one in Orlando. I will be very sad to see it go as I might have to reroute an already long journey to find another one I can roll on and off the Interstate in the motorhome to eat at!
I don't know how useful it is to you, but we always stop at the Sweet Tomatoes by Target over by Animal Kingdom down Sherberth Rd. It's our usual day 1 dinner. Stuff ourselves, then go shopping for the room, because shopping while hungry on vacation is a terrible idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter