News Round Up 2017

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by rteetz, Dec 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Redcon1

Redcon1 DIS Veteran

WebmasterJackie and rteetz like this.
  2. Delano Fiedler

Delano Fiedler Newbie :o

Best Disney princess by far

lockedoutlogic likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. rteetz

rteetz Rumors and News Moderator Moderator

I believe he worked on an early Disney comic but that's it. It's just about honoring someone who was heavily involved in Marvel which is now a Disney property.

MissGina5 likes this.
  5. Redcon1

Redcon1 DIS Veteran

I know it's a Disney property now, but I believe a DISNEY legend should be someone who actually used their creative talents on Disney projects. Not someone who posthumously came under the Disney banner because of a business deal.

This is in no way belittling Kirby's accomplishments with Marvel, but to me, he shouldn't be recognized as a Disney legend.

6. rteetz

rteetz Rumors and News Moderator Moderator

I agree to a point. At some point these other divisions are a big part of the company and those working for them are also part of Disney under TWDC umbrella.

These names just to name a few should not be Disney Legends due to being part of acquisitions.

Jack Kirby
    Stan Lee
    Mark Hamill
    Carrie Fisher
    Susan Lucci
    George Bodenheimer
    Dick Clark
    Steve Jobs
    Billy Crystal
    John Goodman
    Regis Philbin
    Jim Henson
    The Golden Girls
    Barbara Walters
    Frank Gifford

TexasKiwiPrincess and samsteele like this.
  7. samsteele

samsteele DIS Veteran

Maybe a distinction between cultural Legend and Disney Legend is in order? Never an easy call. :-)

rteetz and umichigan10 like this.
  8. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

I feel the same way but am just trying to come to terms that a Disney Legend is now "someone who made a significant contribution to something that is now under the Disney umbrella" rather than "Someone who made a significant contribution to Disney"

I guess you can think of it that if there was no Jack Kirby then Disney most likely wouldn't have bought Marvel

Indybill, marcyleecorgan and rteetz like this.
  9. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

as long as they keep the Windows on Main St for those that truly contributed to Disney I think it is easier to take .... if there becomes a window for the Oprah Detective Agency or something, I will be more upset

10. lockedoutlogic

lockedoutlogic DIS Veteran

Didn't that whole "disney legend" thing jump the shark years ago?

...they kinda went off the rails long ago.

PxyShan and Indybill like this.
  11. PaintsWithAllTheColors

PaintsWithAllTheColors Mouseketeer

davish562 and rteetz like this.
  12. Mattimation

Mattimation Animator

The Golden Girls was produced by the TV wing of Touchstone Films, which Disney created in the 80s to release more mature films without tarnishing their family-friendly image, beginning with "Splash." The Golden Girls were Disney from the get-go, so they should definitely be Disney Legends. I'm not sure what exactly some of the actors here were inducted for specifically, but John Goodman had also appeared in "Princess & the Frog" and "The Emperor's New Groove" at the time of his induction, so he would be there regardless of any acquisition too.

13. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

I know it was mentioned as a possibility before but my friend just got a letter about the 2018 dining plan and it says it includes your choice of one alcoholic beverage, such as:
    - beer or cider
    - wine or sangria
    - mixed drink such as gin and tonic or speciality cocktail

And it says it is automatically applied so doesn't seem like an add on or anything

Should note this person is in the U.K. But isn't part of a specific U.K. Deal or anything

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    soniam, mfly, rteetz and 1 other person like this.
  14. osully

osully Mouseketeer

2018 rates for WDW are up this morning however there is a note saying booking is down at the moment. I'm glad I booked already for Feb 2018 through a Disney Travel Agent. I would be biting my nails and I don't bite my nails. :stitch:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    rteetz likes this.
  15. Lee Matthews

Lee Matthews DIS Veteran

Still wonder why they have Meg crofton a window

16. Bay Max

Bay Max Mouseketeer

rteetz and WebmasterJackie like this.
  17. WebmasterJackie

WebmasterJackie Community Manager for The DIS Staff Member

18. MommaBerd

MommaBerd DIS Veteran

Just throwing my 0.02 out here - In some ways I am disappointed in Disney for adding the alcoholic beverages to their dining plan. I am by no means against having a few drinks. But I can see people now ordering alcohol to "get their money's worth" who may not have done so before. And, so many people *don't* drink alcohol. I know that there are "premium" non-alcoholic drinks available now, too. But if I were a non- drinker, I would feel like my price increase was really subsidizing the people who choose alcoholic beverages. Was there some kind of public outcry to add the alcohol beverage option?

For transparency reasons I should say that we never get the dining plan. But if we did, I think this would actually be the deal breaker. OTOH, maybe this will be a deal-MAKER for others.

19. mom2rtk

mom2rtk Bring Back MARIE!

Not to mention the 10 year old "adults" subsidizing the alcohol for others.

20. dlavender

dlavender DIS Veteran

It will be interesting to see the 2018 price tag, now that you get a "free" beer.

mom2rtk likes this.
  21. MommaBerd

MommaBerd DIS Veteran

Yeah, I *hate* that they charge full adult prices for the 10-20 crowd at events that serve alcohol. That's just ridiculous to me. They need to add a pricing tier for those who are not old enough to drink.