News Round Up 2017

It will be interesting to see the 2018 price tag, now that you get a "free" beer.

I saw someone price it out and it was coming to $ 52.49 per person per night is the new price, - they believed that was up $7 (though I assume the price would have gone up somewhat anyway year over year so not sure how much is for the alcohol)

Just throwing my 0.02 out here - In some ways I am disappointed in Disney for adding the alcoholic beverages to their dining plan. I am by no means against having a few drinks. But I can see people now ordering alcohol to "get their money's worth" who may not have done so before. And, so many people *don't* drink alcohol. I know that there are "premium" non-alcoholic drinks available now, too. But if I were a non- drinker, I would feel like my price increase was really subsidizing the people who choose alcoholic beverages. Was there some kind of public outcry to add the alcohol beverage option?

For transparency reasons I should say that we never get the dining plan. But if we did, I think this would actually be the deal breaker. OTOH, maybe this will be a deal-MAKER for others.

I fully agree - though I must admit this would be a "deal-maker" for us to now get the dining plan - we do enjoy wine or beer with dinner and don't drink soda (really just have water if not wine/beer) so the fact that non-alcoholic drinks were included did not provide value to us

that said, I wish there was an option for with it or without as I know some people can't drink or choose not to - and, as you and others have mentioned, it is crazy for 10 year olds to have to pay for something that includes alcohol they are not allowed to drink

(full disclosure - we never get the dining plan as I find it too restrictive (sometimes we to split meals or just gets appetizers or something) and when I had done it years ago I found myself feeling I needed to order the most expensive item whether it was appealing to me or not just to get the most value out of it - and I don't see this changing)

For us, could be a deal maker gotta crunch a lot of numbers, but the changes to the Dining plan have only moved it into a more positive light from my perspective. It used to be ammuch better deal for us and usually got it, then our let two trips we saved more just using DVC discount (and we didn't have to order so many deserts). Ordering one for my 2 year old would be a waste of money, but in a few years....maybe.

Just throwing my 0.02 out here - In some ways I am disappointed in Disney for adding the alcoholic beverages to their dining plan. I am by no means against having a few drinks. But I can see people now ordering alcohol to "get their money's worth" who may not have done so before. And, so many people *don't* drink alcohol. I know that there are "premium" non-alcoholic drinks available now, too. But if I were a non- drinker, I would feel like my price increase was really subsidizing the people who choose alcoholic beverages. Was there some kind of public outcry to add the alcohol beverage option?

For transparency reasons I should say that we never get the dining plan. But if we did, I think this would actually be the deal breaker. OTOH, maybe this will be a deal-MAKER for others.

For us this is great. My husband always paid out of pocket for a beer with his meal where it was available. Now we wouldn't have too. I think for the majority of the people this will not change what they already do.

I saw someone price it out and it was coming to $ 52.49 per person per night is the new price, - they believed that was up $7 (though I assume the price would have gone up somewhat anyway year over year so not sure how much is for the alcohol)

The current adult quick service plan is $48.19 per day. The current adult dining plan is $69.35 per day.

Is alcohol being offered with QSDP as well?

The current adult quick service plan is $48.19 per day. The current adult dining plan is $69.35 per day.

Is alcohol being offered with QSDP as well?

This was then comparing the quick service - which I saw someone else post that they just booked it and it was at $5 increase over the current one (which roughly fits to the $52.49 vs $48.19) - which, if that is the case, I would have expected more

Guess we now know another reason they added alcohol to table service locations in the Magic Kingdom

One thing to mention / keep in mind is that it now also includes more premium non-alcoholic drinks like smoothies and stuff ... I don't know if that includes the ones with the light up clips and stuff, but that is at least something for the 10 year olds or people that don't drink alcohol

Still would be better as an add-on I think, but then the volume isn't there so wouldn't necessarily work

One thing to mention / keep in mind is that it now also includes more premium non-alcoholic drinks like smoothies and stuff ... I don't know if that includes the ones with the light up clips and stuff, but that is at least something for the 10 year olds or people that don't drink alcohol

Still would be better as an add-on I think, but then the volume isn't there so wouldn't necessarily work
Disney probably noticed a lot of people subbing out regular soft drinks for things like milkshakes to make the dining plan a "better" value. It must have figured it could increase the price per person per night and throw in an alcoholic beverage that not all adults will use. No doubt this is why MK restaurants started serving alcohol.

Disney will increase the price of the dining plan and people will still pay for it regardless. Now it will make more money on people who drink water/soda just like it does when people let credits expire.

For us this is great. My husband always paid out of pocket for a beer with his meal where it was available. Now we wouldn't have too. I think for the majority of the people this will not change what they already do.
Great for us too. We dont drink soda and had to ask for water every time. Now I'll fully enjoy a sip of wine or beer :teeth::teeth:

@TheMaxRebo - I did think of you when I said it could be a "deal maker"! :D

And I'm with you, it should be an add-on, kinda like the cruises.

But if the dining plan goes up by $5 PER PERSON, is it really a better deal?

Huh...DDP now moves from "I never, ever will pay for it" to "I still never, ever will pay for it."

In my view, DDP over the last 10 years moved a good value, to a decent value, to only a value if I am eating entirely character buffets. Our family of 3 would cost $210 on the regular dining plan, and last trip I budgeted $150 a day and beat that. (Spent $1194 over 8 night/9 day trip so $133 per day average - DDP would've cost me $1680.) We didn't eat at TS restaurants every day, but I think we did 5 of them. We had several days where we just did F&W for our meals, which makes the DDP useless as well.

Huh...DDP now moves from "I never, ever will pay for it" to "I still never, ever will pay for it."

In my view, DDP over the last 10 years moved a good value, to a decent value, to only a value if I am eating entirely character buffets. Our family of 3 would cost $210 on the regular dining plan, and last trip I budgeted $150 a day and beat that. (Spent $1194 over 8 night/9 day trip so $133 per day average - DDP would've cost me $1680.) We didn't eat at TS restaurants every day, but I think we did 5 of them. We had several days where we just did F&W for our meals, which makes the DDP useless as well.

that is always the challenge with the question of "Is the dining plan a good value?" because the answer is "it depends" ... if you would eat as the dining plan is structured anyway (so in your example, if your plan is to do a ton of character meals anyway) then the dining plan can save you some money. If you would have to adjust how you were planning to eat to fit the structure then it probably isn't a good deal for you

And I think this change to the plan goes along with this. If you were planning to get a beer/mixed drink/fancy smoothy/whatever anyway, then this increase is totally covered by what you now are not paying for those out of pocket drinks - but if not, then this isn't a good deal for you (or if you now feel like you have to adjust how you dine and order the drink even if you normally wouldn't then that isn't great either)

@TheMaxRebo - I did think of you when I said it could be a "deal maker"! :D

And I'm with you, it should be an add-on, kinda like the cruises.

But if the dining plan goes up by $5 PER PERSON, is it really a better deal?

I think the issue is that if it is an add-on then the add-on price needs to fully cover the extra cost to Disney and then it would be more than $5 a person and then at that point it is less of a value and people won't get it

and if it is only $5 and you do get a drink a day even those are all more than $5 so it is a savings. Just, obviously, not for people that don't drink. Glad they did add in the smoothies and stuff so people who don't drink can get something "extra" for their extra cost at least

Deal MAKER for us!

I don't drink that much alcohol either. However, I was excited to see that from now on, it WON'T be up to the restaurant manager when I want to upgrade my Dining Plan drink to be a bottomless coffee or a milkshake! now I don't have to pay extra! Or worry about arguing with the manager!

really think about HOW many times a day a server has to answer a guest, "No I am sorry you can't have ___________ with your Dining Plan." It's really a no-brainer that this change happened. It's very likely one of the Top 3 requests at a restaurant regarding the Dining Plan! Goodness knows my DH knew the rule, but he STILL asked at every restaurant! He was shocked to hear that the sole way to save was the Tables In Wonderland card, as that pretty much only benefits locals who can drive on over for a quick dinner. Doesn't help us wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy up here in Canada! And there is just NO way we could go through enough booze to break even on the TIW discount!

So I'm dancing over here in my corner myself....

Deal MAKER for us!

I don't drink that much alcohol either. However, I was excited to see that from now on, it WON'T be up to the restaurant manager when I want to upgrade my Dining Plan drink to be a bottomless coffee or a milkshake! now I don't have to pay extra! Or worry about arguing with the manager!

really think about HOW many times a day a server has to answer a guest, "No I am sorry you can't have ___________ with your Dining Plan." It's really a no-brainer that this change happened. It's very likely one of the Top 3 requests at a restaurant regarding the Dining Plan! Goodness knows my DH knew the rule, but he STILL asked at every restaurant! He was shocked to hear that the sole way to save was the Tables In Wonderland card, as that pretty much only benefits locals who can drive on over for a quick dinner. Doesn't help us wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy up here in Canada! And there is just NO way we could go through enough booze to break even on the TIW discount!

So I'm dancing over here in my corner myself....

i wonder if there will still be some limits. On the Disney Food Blog post about this they featured the margarita flight from the Brown Derby ... if you can get a flight of drinks as you "drink" that could really increase the value

wonder if there will be only certain wines form the wine by the glass list allowed (did a quick search at at Skipper's Canteen they have a Malbec for $9 but then a Cuvee Brut for $16 - are both eligible?) ... or will this result in them "dumbing down" the wines by the glass list to not offer more expensive options if everything could be picked under the dining plan?

i wonder if there will still be some limits. On the Disney Food Blog post about this they featured the margarita flight from the Brown Derby ... if you can get a flight of drinks as you "drink" that could really increase the value

wonder if there will be only certain wines form the wine by the glass list allowed (did a quick search at at Skipper's Canteen they have a Malbec for $9 but then a Cuvee Brut for $16 - are both eligible?) ... or will this result in them "dumbing down" the wines by the glass list to not offer more expensive options if everything could be picked under the dining plan?
Don't places like the Yachtsman charge a premium on the dining plan for certain cuts of steak? I could see Disney doing this for alcohol. Certain dining plan eligible drinks < $9 and then pay a premium or just exclude the more expensive ones.

We broke even on the dining plan, I think we were about $50 to the good over 7 people and 7 days, last time we went when I tallied it all up after. However, we don't drink very often and I certainly wouldn't need a milkshake and a dessert at the same meal. So we were pretty much planning not to get it the next time we went, this just makes that decision simpler. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter