newly diagnosed juvenile diabetic

Thanks for everyone's great support.My dd is currently on NPH and Humalog.The endo is hoping to get the pump in a year or so.He feels she needs this during the honeymoon phase.
We have found the school to be great.We have an RN in the building at all times.There is 2 other JD's in her school,one who's mother is a nurse practioner and fills in if our nurse is out.She is wanting to start a support group for the central Illinois area if anyone is interested.She said they did the Disney thing for diabetics last year and had a great time.Does anyone know where I can find that particular info?
We have moved our trip to June.It is the time I prefer to go with work and all.So I have alot more time to plan!!We will stay at CBR as this is our favorite.I just realized I can start making ADR"s soon.
So far we are doing great thanks again for the support.The last few days life seems more back to semi normal.
Dana

Here's the link to the info you requested http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/activities/orlando2006/

Keep on top of that Endo about the pump. As I mentioned earlier in the thread and many others have mentioned since, it really changes everything.

I resisted it for years because of a bad experience with an early pump.
I was actually the first patient to be tested with a portable insulin pump back in 1977 or so. This thing was about the size of a cigar box. It was so big it had to be worn on a belt, which meant sleeping in my clothes for a week! The test regimen required blood tests every 30 minutes around the clock for a week. This was way before fingersticks so it meant a doing the old fashioned way and carting it off to the lab. Needless to say not a fond memory.

Last March I was finally persuaded to try the pump and I've never looked back. I don't even feel like I'm diabetic anymore. I realize my outlook is different than that of a mom with a 9 year old, but the difference is that overwhelming.

Yes Sue I can't believe it has been almost 2 years since William was diagnosed (with both diabetes and the peanut allergy)! He keeps me on my toes :earboy2: The disboard has been helpful with some practical advice on diabetes, pumping and travel - among other things.

extreme8 - wow! I've seen pics of that 1st pump. I can't imagine wearing it - you are a true pioneer and the rest of us owe you our gratitude :goodvibes

I think that Medtronic has been promising that CGMS for years! LOL! Of course I do think they'll come out with it sometime. I know when W was dx'd in March '04 the dr. thought it would be out by the end of that year (2004) for the public. I dearly would love to have one for William but I'm concerned about the bulk of it - the transmitter that stick on looks huge for someone his size (he is almost 4 yrs old). Seems like I read about a type that would be inserted like a pacemaker (near the heart) that would also be a CGMS and my husband recalls hearing about one that would be implanted in the wrist. Something like that seems better for children.

Dana - take a look at the CWD link for next summer's conference. If you can move your WDW trip to July you could attend the conference - it is in mid-July at Seaworld. Next summer it goes back to WDW I think. I'm not so sure we'll go to this next one (having gone to WDW twice this year!) but I definitely plan to go in 2007 - and probably any of the ones they have at WDW. I will probably go to the regional conference on pumping in March in Philly instead. That is a GREAT conference if you are considering pumping. I went to one a couple of months before William got on the pump. You can actually arrange to test out a pump (on yourself or you daughter) at any of the conferences but you need to work that out in advance (and it requires a prescription that you doctor should give you - just to demo the pump not to actually get one permanently. For the demo you pump saline and not insulin, FYI!).

We went at Thanksgiving with DD who is 4 and was diagnosed 1 year ago. We used a small frezer/frig combo in our camper. We used "Blue Ice" by Rubbermaid to keep things cold. Come Insulin needs to be kept below room temp. and cold packs inside a thermal lunch box will do. We used a collapsible lunch box and put the bottles inside a hard reading glasses case. I like to be safe. :wave:

One very good thing. The No Suger added brownie at Cosmic Rays is 16 carbs and very good, and very big. They also have them at SunShine Seasons. I split my dessert and the brownie with my daughter so she could have a greater variety.

Also if you keep the same Insulin level with a higher activity level you can have more carbs!!! :Pinkbounc . My daughter was very :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

We were served the sugar-free brownies for both trips (one with a conference meal at the CSR and the other time at Crystal Palace I think). William didn't eat much of the brownie the 1st time and the 2nd time we got them they were prepackaged and I noticed that the main sweetener was one of those that gives me terrible diarrhea (malitol/sorbitol). I had actually eaten one before I noticed! I don't usually let William have those sweeteners because of my reaction. My older son also gets terrible cramps from it too. (I recently bought some sugar-free sorbet when I had a terrible sore throat and couldn't eat anything else and I ate almost the whole pint before I realized that the main sweetener was malitol/sorbitol and although it said SPLENDA in big letters on the front. Apparently splenda was a minor ingredient and I had a horrible reaction to eating that stuff! I was so mad! Yet I realized that I bet that is why my other non-diabetic son sometimes has unexplained diarrhea and stomach problems - we've had him checked for everything. Sometimes he will "pig-out" on sugar-free gum or some other thing we'd gotten for William. Just something to keep in mind for other family members besides the diabetic!).

Anyway...those sweeteners may not bother others as much but you might want to ask what they used to sweeten the dessert if you are sensitive to any of the artificial sweeteners! I will admit that brownie was pretty darn good though! :p

I agree with the previous posters who suggest an insulin pump. My son was diagnosed right after his 6th birthday. We did the Lantus/Novalog shots for 15 months before we got a pump. The pump has made such a huge impact in our lives. It is such a blessing.
Every person handles diabetes best in their own way. You will soon figure out what is best for your family.
I have been at this for a little over two years and we are still learning. Knowledge is power. I don't know if it ever gets easier, but we learn new things every day. That puts us more in control.
Two suggestions:
1. Test blood glucose where ever you feel comfortable, but test where ever you ARE if you suspect a low reading.
2. Always have fast acting sugar. I carry glucose tabs and Life Savers. They are lighter than juice.
Best of luck to you. I remember what the first few months were like. :wizard:

If you kid is using Humalog or any anlog insulin do not listen to the person that said it is not nesscary to keep it cold. Humalog can and does routinely lose it's effictiveness in a matter of hours if it's really hot. I've had this happen to me a number of times at WDW. I get a little blue pack and slip my insulin pump in a baggie with it while at the parks or the hot tub pool at WL.

Court

Selket said:
We were served the sugar-free brownies for both trips (one with a conference meal at the CSR and the other time at Crystal Palace I think). William didn't eat much of the brownie the 1st time and the 2nd time we got them they were prepackaged and I noticed that the main sweetener was one of those that gives me terrible diarrhea (malitol/sorbitol). I had actually eaten one before I noticed! I don't usually let William have those sweeteners because of my reaction. My older son also gets terrible cramps from it too. (I recently bought some sugar-free sorbet when I had a terrible sore throat and couldn't eat anything else and I ate almost the whole pint before I realized that the main sweetener was malitol/sorbitol and although it said SPLENDA in big letters on the front. Apparently splenda was a minor ingredient and I had a horrible reaction to eating that stuff! I was so mad! Yet I realized that I bet that is why my other non-diabetic son sometimes has unexplained diarrhea and stomach problems - we've had him checked for everything. Sometimes he will "pig-out" on sugar-free gum or some other thing we'd gotten for William. Just something to keep in mind for other family members besides the diabetic!).

Anyway...those sweeteners may not bother others as much but you might want to ask what they used to sweeten the dessert if you are sensitive to any of the artificial sweeteners! I will admit that brownie was pretty darn good though! :p
I have the same reaction to malitol/sorbital! Yikes! It is horrible. Only sweetener I can tolerate is the Splenda. Anything else and I am sicker than a dog. I'm better off eating something sweetened with sugar, carb counting and covering it with insulin

I'm just adding that I did it again! Argh! I found some multi-colored Justice League popsicles at the grocery last night that said they were sugar-free and had a big "sweetened with SPLENDA" on the front. I was in a hurry and grabbed them and my (non-diabetic) son asked me - thank goodness!- if they had that sweetener in them that bothers him. Sure enough the main sweetening ingredient is malitol and sorbitol.

There should be mandatory warning labels on the front - it really angers me that it tricks you into thinking it is a splenda product when most of the sweetener is something else!

Selket said:
There should be mandatory warning labels on the front - it really angers me that it tricks you into thinking it is a splenda product when most of the sweetener is something else!
I hate that when they do it with any product.
We had bought something labeled Turkey Smoked sausage - you'd think it would be made from Turkey, but it was almost 1/2 pork. It was mentioned in the small type on the back, but not on the front.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter