Newbie needs advice!

AmyBeth68

Relentless Forward Motion
We are planning a trip to DL in early November 2005. Here are my questions...thanks in advance DL experts :teeth: !

1. Ever have any swimming weather days in November or is it pretty much cool the whole month?

2. We are staying in Newport Beach....how long should it take us to arrive at DL?

3. I am trying to convince my DH that we should stay at the DL Hotel or Paradise Pier for a night or two since we may be driving a fair distance from Newport Beach. Would you recommend doing so??

4. When do the holiday decorations and Small World Holiday/Haunted Mansion Nightmare go into effect?

5. I know that nobody here has a crystal ball...but best guesses...do you think that Fantasmic, Aladdin, parades and fireworks will be running only on weekends or do you imagine that they will be running during the week due to the 50th anniversary? I know this is anybody's guess, but we really hope to catch all of the entertainment and I'm not sure how the schedule is during the slower season. :confused3 .

Thanks!

As far as the weather - I wouldn't count on swimming unless the pool is pretty well heated! We went in Nov every year as a kid, and we always had coats on most of the day. However.... my DH and I went in January one year and by noon every day we were in t-shirts. It's really hit or miss!
Can't tell you driving distances - but with traffic in LA - it takes an hour to get ANYWHERE... no exageration! I would definately try to stay a night or two either at a Disney hotel, or at a hotel right next to the parks. I highly recommend the Candy Cane Inn - we loved it. There are MANY hotels just as close as the Disney hotels at quite a discount.
My sister was just there this past November and they didn't get to see Fantasmic, but that schedule changes constantly and with the 50th, they may run it quite a bit more.
Hope that helps!

Weather can be hit or miss but I would pack your swimming suit because even if it too cool for a swim the hot tub (if available) might be nice after a long day at the parks.
Just a guess but I would say Aladdin will run 5 days a week (I think that is what it is doing now), Firework & the 50th Parade will be every day, The Electric Parade will be weekends only. Fantasmic won't run at all except possibly Thanksgiving Weekend.

AFMom said:
As far as the weather - I wouldn't count on swimming unless the pool is pretty well heated! We went in Nov every year as a kid, and we always had coats on most of the day. However.... my DH and I went in January one year and by noon every day we were in t-shirts. It's really hit or miss!
Can't tell you driving distances - but with traffic in LA - it takes an hour to get ANYWHERE... no exageration! I would definately try to stay a night or two either at a Disney hotel, or at a hotel right next to the parks. I highly recommend the Candy Cane Inn - we loved it. There are MANY hotels just as close as the Disney hotels at quite a discount.
My sister was just there this past November and they didn't get to see Fantasmic, but that schedule changes constantly and with the 50th, they may run it quite a bit more.
Hope that helps!

Kristy, don't I remember you from the DVC forum?

Thanks girls, I appreciate the info it really helps! Sounds like I may look into the Candy Cane, particularly if we won't get much if any use out of the cool DL Hotel pool. Bummed out about Fantasmic! but we have so many other cool things to look forward to with the 50th in full swing!

Yeah - I'm alwways on the DVC stuff - but I still have my love for Disneyland, and we just found out we get to go in April - so I've been reading up on anything new! Have fun!

AmyBeth68 said:
We are planning a trip to DL in early November 2005. Here are my questions...thanks in advance DL experts :teeth: !

3. I am trying to convince my DH that we should stay at the DL Hotel or Paradise Pier for a night or two since we may be driving a fair distance from Newport Beach. Would you recommend doing so??

4. When do the holiday decorations and Small World Holiday/Haunted Mansion Nightmare go into effect?

5. I know that nobody here has a crystal ball...but best guesses...do you think that Fantasmic, Aladdin, parades and fireworks will be running only on weekends or do you imagine that they will be running during the week due to the 50th anniversary? I know this is anybody's guess, but we really hope to catch all of the entertainment and I'm not sure how the schedule is during the slower season. :confused3 .

Thanks!

3) Yes - stay near Disney when you are there. If cost is an issue, stay at one of the very nice motels on Harbor. My favorites are Del Sol, Desert Inn, Carousel and Candy Cane. At least 1/2 the price of Paradise Piere and much closer to the gates of DL. If money is not that big - do a night at the GC! It is worth it (and usually less than say the GF). Very close to DCA, a short walk to DL when DCA isn't open.

4) Haunted Mansion Holiday usually opens around October 1. Small World I think right before Thanksgiving.

5) I know there are issues with the fireworks and local zoning, so I wouldn't expect them except on weekends (BUT THEY WILL BE WORTH IT!!!) Aladdin is every day, Fantasmic might not run some week nights, but runs fairly regularly in the holiday season (Haloween - New Years). Parades should be every day then, too I think (also will be worth it!)

I'll answer numbers 4 &5 as the pp has a bit of the info incorrect.

4. Haunted Mansion Holiday does open around the first of Oct, but It's a Small World Holiday opens the first Friday of November. Also in the past couple of years most of the holiday decorations are up and the holiday fireworks are running on the first Friday of November. This is assuming that these attractions do get their holiday makeovers this year.

5. Aladdin is dark on Tuesday and Wednesday. It's a five day a week show, but I think someone posted that already. They usually do either fireworks or Fantasmic on weekend evenings in the off-season. Generally not both, but this being the 50th, we don't know what they'll do. Fantasmic didn't run from after Labor Day to just before Christmas this past year because they were doing refurb on the Columbia and they can't do the show w/o it. I suspect that if either isn't shown, it'll be Fantasmic since these will be the 50th fireworks. The 50th parade should run at least once a day, everyday.

Thanks so much to all of you for the great information! :teeth: I feel so lost when it comes to Disneyland planning. I'm so glad to hear about Small World and Haunted Mansion!!! :cheer2:

It looks like we'll plan to stay at a hotel in the Disneyland area for a few nights to enjoy the close proximity to the parks. I'm seriously considering the Candy Cane Inn as it seems to get consistently good reviews!

Thanks again to everyone for their thoughtful and informative responses!

This year Small World reopened on November 5th with the holiday version. Both parks were fully decorated for Christmas on that day as well. We got a great picture of our girls with Santa at CA. There was also "snow" after the fireworks on the 5th. It was pretty cool because we were in the parks on 10/31-11/2 and then went to San Diego for a few days and when we returned -it was Christmas!! It was our first time to Disneyland and I can't wait to go back again! We had perfect weather (short sleeves and capris), but the second it started to get dark-it got really COLD. We learned quickly and put coats in a locker! Good Luck with your planning.

lovevacations said:
This year Small World reopened on November 5th with the holiday version. Both parks were fully decorated for Christmas on that day as well. We got a great picture of our girls with Santa at CA. There was also "snow" after the fireworks on the 5th. It was pretty cool because we were in the parks on 10/31-11/2 and then went to San Diego for a few days and when we returned -it was Christmas!! It was our first time to Disneyland and I can't wait to go back again! We had perfect weather (short sleeves and capris), but the second it started to get dark-it got really COLD. We learned quickly and put coats in a locker! Good Luck with your planning.

Thanks for the info! Can you tell me what you did in SanDiego? We plan to visit SD as well during our vacation and I'd be interested in hearing what you enjoyed. We also have two little girls who are visiting CA for the first time :sunny: !

We were only in SD Tuesday-Thursday, so Wednesday was our only full day. We went to the zoo. It was beautiful! We spent the entire day there. Our girls (5 and 7) loved the sky tram and riding on top of the bus. We also spent some time at the beach each day, crossing the bridge to get there was a big thrill too. I could have easily spent a week there. On our drive back to Anaheim we also stopped at a beach. It was empty! The girls were able to run around in their swimming suits and get wet. They did swim one day at our hotel pool too (in Anaheim). It had rained in So. Cal for a week before we came, but our weather was sunny and 75 each day. We spent 3 and half days at the parks. Our plan was only 3 days but we got the 4th day free so on our arrival day we went to DL from like 3:00- until the fireworks ended. The parks are open until 10pm and 11pm on the weekends, so we took advantage of that. It was such a great trip. I found DL and CA so easy to manage with little kids, much more so than WDW. Many more characters walking around too. They loved the autograph books too. We bought the cheaper blue small ones at the park, but the pages ripped out very easily. I would get the ones that are like photoalbums, much better to organize and remember who was who! I am a planning freak so feel free to email or post any more questions. Enjoy. I also found this board more helpful than any of the books.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter