New Zealand October & November 2021 departures cancelled

We’re booked for December 2022 and I’d be amazed if that’s not an unaltered or cancelled trip. Covid will still be a problem by then. Just wondering, if we cancel soon is there such a thing as a placeholder account to put our deposit in until we’re ready to rebook something else?
If you made a brand new reservation for Dec 2022, I believe you can move your reservation to a placeholder status but typically you would need to make a new reservation within a year (eg if you booked this trip on July 15, 2021, you would need to pick a new trip before July 15, 2022). From what I can tell, except for the Japan ABD next summer, it doesn't seem like the trips are filling up to the point you need to be worried about missing out on anything.

My advice would be to hold on to this reservation - especially if you took advantage of the early booking discount, until we see how things are looking next Spring.

I read today that the NZ government is likely releasing spots in MIQ later this week for quarantine spots in December and January. Is there anyone (other than, apparently, the folks at ABD) who thinks the January, 2022 ABD will depart? With where NZ is now with Delta I can't see any of the trips in the first quarter going. It sure would be nice to see ABD cancel the trips so that people can make alternate plans :confused3.

booked for February and waiting in limbo as well. I hope this ends up better than how they handled our last bookings.

booked for February and waiting in limbo as well. I hope this ends up better than how they handled our last bookings.
It's certainly not looking that way :oops:.

I moved our deposit for Egypt in October, 2020 (made the day the trip was open to book) to March, 2022 NZ. So ABD has had my money for coming up to 3 years in the spring. Based on their timeline for cancelling trips, I'd say that they will wait until at least January to cancel the March trip. I am not a fan of how they have been handling cancellations and will be thinking long and hard about whether or not to book another trip with them (for now I'm happy to plan trips on our own).

I am appalled that the January trips haven't been cancelled yet. Are they expecting guests to quarantine for 2 weeks in NZ before the trip starts?

I read today that the NZ government is likely releasing spots in MIQ later this week for quarantine spots in December and January. Is there anyone (other than, apparently, the folks at ABD) who thinks the January, 2022 ABD will depart? With where NZ is now with Delta I can't see any of the trips in the first quarter going. It sure would be nice to see ABD cancel the trips so that people can make alternate plans :confused3.
We moved our NZ trip from March 2022 to 2023

An update on travel to NZ in today's newspaper below. Based on this, does anyone think that the January, February and possibly March departures will go? I sure don't (maybe a slight chance that March could proceed). Unless ABD secures spots in the government-run quarantine facilities (which would be a hard pass for me) for the January trip I can't see how it's going to happen. But hey, you can still book the trip (it's currently listed on their website).

"New Zealand officials said Thursday they will gradually loosen their border quarantine requirements, which have been among the toughest in the world throughout the pandemic.

But while the changes will make it easier for New Zealanders stranded abroad to return home, officials gave no date for when tourists might be welcomed back. That change is likely still months away.

COVID-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins said that from next month, most people arriving in New Zealand would need to spend seven days in a quarantine hotel run by the military, half the previous requirement.

He said some new arrivals from low-risk Pacific island countries could skip quarantine altogether and isolate at home.

He said the new rules were an interim step ahead of broader reopening measures that would be gradually introduced once more than 90% of New Zealanders aged 12 and over were fully vaccinated. So far, 72% of eligible people have had both shots.

The change follows a growing outcry from New Zealanders who have been trying to return home but have been unable to secure spots in the quarantine system. Some have resorted to legal action."

I have had some very memorable ABD trips with my kids. Some of our fondest memories together have been made on ABDs. But I am not a fan of how they handled past situations and how they are handling the current situation. I would very much like my deposit back. I am fully prepared to play a game of chicken with them and pay in full in January, knowing that our March ABD most likely won't proceed (it makes me sad to have come to this realization as I have been really, really looking forward to the amazing itinerary).

For context, vaccines have been widely available for 12+ in Ontario for several months, yet we have plateaued at 84% fully vaccinated. I don't know when NZ will reach 90% -- the goal seems unrealistic.

An update on travel to NZ in today's newspaper below. Based on this, does anyone think that the January, February and possibly March departures will go? I sure don't (maybe a slight chance that March could proceed). Unless ABD secures spots in the government-run quarantine facilities (which would be a hard pass for me) for the January trip I can't see how it's going to happen. But hey, you can still book the trip (it's currently listed on their website).

"New Zealand officials said Thursday they will gradually loosen their border quarantine requirements, which have been among the toughest in the world throughout the pandemic.

But while the changes will make it easier for New Zealanders stranded abroad to return home, officials gave no date for when tourists might be welcomed back. That change is likely still months away.

COVID-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins said that from next month, most people arriving in New Zealand would need to spend seven days in a quarantine hotel run by the military, half the previous requirement.

He said some new arrivals from low-risk Pacific island countries could skip quarantine altogether and isolate at home.

He said the new rules were an interim step ahead of broader reopening measures that would be gradually introduced once more than 90% of New Zealanders aged 12 and over were fully vaccinated. So far, 72% of eligible people have had both shots.

The change follows a growing outcry from New Zealanders who have been trying to return home but have been unable to secure spots in the quarantine system. Some have resorted to legal action."

I have had some very memorable ABD trips with my kids. Some of our fondest memories together have been made on ABDs. But I am not a fan of how they handled past situations and how they are handling the current situation. I would very much like my deposit back. I am fully prepared to play a game of chicken with them and pay in full in January, knowing that our March ABD most likely won't proceed (it makes me sad to have come to this realization as I have been really, really looking forward to the amazing itinerary).

For context, vaccines have been widely available for 12+ in Ontario for several months, yet we have plateaued at 84% fully vaccinated. I don't know when NZ will reach 90% -- the goal seems unrealistic.
Come join us on the 10/31 trip instead - November is a pleasant time in New Zealand - it's late spring. It's also considered "high season" because everything is just right. IF things are going to open up, it really should be by then. Otherwise, it just isn't going to happen in a realistic timeframe. 90% vaccine rate should be a goal - but it is unrealistic to expect it to happen. According to Wiki, "Several Christian fundamentalist leaders including Pastors Murray and Nancy Watkinson of Celebration Centre in Christchurch, Brian and Helen Tamaki of Destiny Church, City Impact Church leader Peter Mortlock and conspiracy theorist Billy Te Kahika have criticised COVID-19 vaccination efforts, variably describing the vaccine as the mark of the beast, governmental overreach, and questioning its effectiveness." Polling there indicates about a solid and consistent 15-20% will not voluntarily take the jab.

Come join us on the 10/31 trip instead - November is a pleasant time in New Zealand - it's late spring. It's also considered "high season" because everything is just right. IF things are going to open up, it really should be by then. Otherwise, it just isn't going to happen in a realistic timeframe. 90% vaccine rate should be a goal - but it is unrealistic to expect it to happen. According to Wiki, "Several Christian fundamentalist leaders including Pastors Murray and Nancy Watkinson of Celebration Centre in Christchurch, Brian and Helen Tamaki of Destiny Church, City Impact Church leader Peter Mortlock and conspiracy theorist Billy Te Kahika have criticised COVID-19 vaccination efforts, variably describing the vaccine as the mark of the beast, governmental overreach, and questioning its effectiveness." Polling there indicates about a solid and consistent 15-20% will not voluntarily take the jab.
ITA with probably not getting to 90% vaccinated -- I just can't see it happening in the next 6-12 months (or ever). Part of me wonders if they set an unrealistic goal intentionally.

I don't think that I can reschedule our trip, since I moved the deposit from our October, 2020 Egypt trip. I *think* that I'd have to wait for ABD to cancel, then re-book (maybe someone here can clarify for me.....). If I have any hope of re-booking airfare, it would have to be done in the next few weeks, as soon as the airlines open up availability. Unless ABD decides to cancel our March trip soon (which seems unlikely), then there is very little hope that I'd get the airfare on points (which makes the cost of the trip affordable for us).

Honestly with all the trips I have cancelled due to "the situation" I am lacking both the energy and enthusiasm I require to attempt to book anything at this point. I am currently considering cancelling my trip to Vienna and Munich (already cut Prague and Bratislava) with ds on December 5th, because if either of us tests positive then we can't come home. Which would mean missing Christmas (not to mention the hassle of finding a hotel to stay at, constants tests till a negative is received and booking a flight home). I am not worried about myself because I will be mostly strolling the markets outdoors solo (doubt ds will be interested for more than 5 mins), but ds likes to go to pubs, have a pint and socialize, which worries me. As a capricorn I am a born worrier.

I would very much like my deposit back. I am fully prepared to play a game of chicken with them and pay in full in January, knowing that our March ABD most likely won't proceed
Was your NZ booking a new one last year or moved from another cancelled trip? If new, you might have the fully refundable deposit up to PIF date. AbD offered that on many new bookings last year.

Was your NZ booking a new one last year or moved from another cancelled trip? If new, you might have the fully refundable deposit up to PIF date. AbD offered that on many new bookings last year.
The deposit was moved from Egypt in October, 2020. I don't think that I can move it again; at this point I would just like my money back.

This morning I noticed the Jan 24, 2022 adventure is no longer on the website and within a couple of hours I received the official cancellation call. I'm not at all surprised, but I'm still a smidge disappointed.
With so many people worldwide suddenly opposed to basic public health, it had to happen. I think by summer we will either have seen the antivacc folks begin to die off, or the world will accept the disease and start to live with it, or we will reach the beginning of a dark age where trade, transit and interconnected everything will begin to pull back or stop. I am hoping for the second. Don't be discouraged - our time here is limited and challenges are constant and regular. We repeatedly pause to work through things, be it the Lockerbie Pan Am bombing, Oklahoma city domestic terrorism, 9/11, SARS, the election of Trump, it is always going to be something horrible. It doesn't mean we ignore it - but we have a way of finding a way. I personally hope to see and meet you on an adventure someday. (BTW, ABC Good Morning America today has reporting from a National Geo/Lindenblad expedition to Antartica crossing the Drake Passage today. So cool!)

According to the report below, NZ will reopen on April 30, 2022. But it comes with many requirements. Vaccinations and tests before and after arrival are required, but this also mandates a 7 day self quarantine.

So this should kill all the Jan-Apr 2022 ABD NZ trips and it doesn't even make the ones in Fall and Winter possible, unless they remove the quarantine requirement by then.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/new-zealand-reopen-borders-covid-april-2022-jacinda-ardern/

According to the report below, NZ will reopen on April 30, 2022. But it comes with many requirements. Vaccinations and tests before and after arrival are required, but this also mandates a 7 day self quarantine.

So this should kill all the Jan-Apr 2022 ABD NZ trips and it doesn't even make the ones in Fall and Winter possible, unless they remove the quarantine requirement by then.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/new-zealand-reopen-borders-covid-april-2022-jacinda-ardern/
All of the New Zealand ABDs through April 2022 are now marked "Waitlist Only" on the ABD website. I'm not sure if they were marked that way before now, but that's usually a sign they are getting ready to cancel the trips. That would be pretty much a no-brainer for ABD now.

Sayhello

Although I know NZ will do what’s best for their residents, I hope everything will be sorted out by summer. I really want to go on the December trip. I was getting psyched about going to Fiji before the ABD and spending New Year’s in NZ. January/February is when I would normally start booking flights and hotels for my trip. I guess I may have to rethink my approach. Not sure I want an airline voucher that I may never use on an airline I don’t fly often if at all.

All of the New Zealand ABDs through April 2022 are now marked "Waitlist Only" on the ABD website. I'm not sure if they were marked that way before now, but that's usually a sign they are getting ready to cancel the trips. That would be pretty much a no-brainer for ABD now.

Sayhello
These have been marked as waitlist for some time, with the first trip listed for October, and the second one October 31, 2022. NZ has been telling us for some time this was coming this way, but that they expect to begin "normalization" by late fall/early winter (which is our late Spring/early summer). Ever since the ABD trip to Australia now 4 (or 5?) years ago I now regularly read the Sydney Morning Herald on line. It's enlightening to continue to follow a country and culture after beginning to get to know a little about them. It posts a lot of information about these things for that part of the world.

When I pulled the plug on our March trip there were only 22 people (myself and ds) included on the trip. It seems unlikely that trip was fully booked. Not sure why they listed them that way.

I sure hope that ABD cancels the February and March trips ASAP so those still booked on them can either get their money back or put the funds towards another trip.

No ABDs booked currently and not planning on booking anything until I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that a trip will take place. I have cancelled so many trips over the past 1.75 years that I stopped keeping track (well not really, but I don't like to think about it). For now I will book solo trips that are super easy to cancel and have no money invested.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter