New Zealand AbD meets

Mathmagicland

Disneyland - the original since 1955
The husband has one request and it is to go fishing for a day. I will be researching where the best fishing is to decide if we have pre days or post days.
My son would like to do fishing on a pre day.
For those interested in fishing, I came across this site in a travel book on NZ - it might have some good info for you...?

Up to $1,300 in Early Booking Discounts from Dreams Unlimited Travel!
Make your Adventures by Disney reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel NOW and receive an Early Booking discount depending on Adventure and Travel Dates!!
Click Here for Details

Already have an Adventures by Disney reservation booked and want to know if Dreams Unlimited Travel can save you money?
Write to Kevin@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com

• *WDW*Groupie*

DIS Veteran
    From the Ministry for Primary Industries site, Arriving in NZ - Prohibited items and what must be declared on the Passenger Arrival Card. As someone who always has some snacks along, I was not expecting to see that all food items must be declared for inspection.

It's the same for entering the US. I always declare what I have with me (healthy snacks). They ask what I have, I list the items, they ask if I have any fruit, vegetables or meats (these are some of the prohibited items) and I am usually on my way. In February we had a nasty customs officer and he decided to send us to secondary for a full check (where they go through your bags). The girl assigned to dd and I asked what we had with us, I told her, she shook her head and sent us on our way (no inspection). We have to declare what we have, or we would risk losing our Global Entry cards.

• ImprovGal

<font color=green>No animals were harmed in the ma
    It's the same for entering the US. I always declare what I have with me (healthy snacks). They ask what I have, I list the items, they ask if I have any fruit, vegetables or meats (these are some of the prohibited items) and I am usually on my way. In February we had a nasty customs officer and he decided to send us to secondary for a full check (where they go through your bags). The girl assigned to dd and I asked what we had with us, I told her, she shook her head and sent us on our way (no inspection). We have to declare what we have, or we would risk losing our Global Entry cards.
    I've found NZ (and Australia, for that matter) to be stricter than the U.S. when it comes to what they actually allow in. My friend had forgotten about a sealed mini box of cereal that she'd snagged from the hotel lounge during a long layover at LAX, and they actually confiscated it from her bag when we landed at AKL (stopover for a few days en route to CNS to start the Australia ABD).
    I frequently buy packaged food as souvenirs, always declare it (usually as candy or packaged snacks), and I've never had any problems bringing it back into the U.S. Occasionally it's been examined, but it's always been returned to me.

I did, however, irritate the customs officer at LAX when I returned from SYD and had declared that yes, I'd been on a farm and exposed to wildlife, etc. The agent was annoyed that my declarations meant he had to pull my hiking shoes from my luggage and send them through additional screening.

Mathmagicland

I did, however, irritate the customs officer at LAX when I returned from SYD and had declared that yes, I'd been on a farm and exposed to wildlife, etc. The agent was annoyed that my declarations meant he had to pull my hiking shoes from my luggage and send them through additional screening.
    I’ve been curious about what would happen when returning to the US & having to answer Yes to the Farm visit question, as this will be the first time for me to do so.

KEK1

Mouseketeer
    Yeah NZ and Aust are way stricter with biosecurity as we don't have some diseases that you guys have. The penalties can be quite high, too. The only thing I would be comfortable bringing home food wise would be chocolate/lollies. Also includes plane food. Lots of sniffer dogs working, too

Mathmagicland

Yeah NZ and Aust are way stricter with biosecurity as we don't have some diseases that you guys have. The penalties can be quite high, too. The only thing I would be comfortable bringing home food wise would be chocolate/lollies. Also includes plane food. Lots of sniffer dogs working, too
    Thanks for this - that’s the vibe I got from reading the immigration info. Totally understandable- Hawai’i has similar restrictions with many things for the same reasons.

• chuff88

Mouseketeer
    When we go to New Zealand on our ABD I really want to bring back some Manuka honey. Is that going to be possible?

lovetotravel

Mouseketeer

*WDW*Groupie*

DIS Veteran
    My mom and I are on the March 14 departure! We’re so excited. We don’t have any pre- or post-tour nights booked currently but that might change.
    I am booking the March 14th trip with my ds! We will likely go to Sydney for a few days, then fly to Auckland and do 2 days pre ABD. After the ABD we will head to Melbourne before flying home. At least that is the plan for now...

KEK1

Mouseketeer
    @chuff88
    Honey
    Carry On Bags: Yes (Less than 3.4oz/100 ml allowed)
    Checked Bags: Yes
    For more prohibited items, please go to the 'What Can I Bring?' page.

The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint.
    You'll have to check the requirements coming back to the US (or where you live), taking it out of NZ should be fine, you would not be allowed to bring it in, though

ajw28

Earning My Ears
    We went on the Australia ABD a few years ago. After it ended, we flew to New Zealand for a few days. Then we flew back to Sydney and spent the night at the airport hotel before flying home the following day.

We bought honey in Australia during the ABD trip. When we returned to Sydney at the end to fly home (coming from New Zealand), customs took the honey, even though we explained that we had bought it in Australia! I think it really depends on who happens to check your luggage.

KEK1

Mouseketeer
    We went on the Australia ABD a few years ago. After it ended, we flew to New Zealand for a few days. Then we flew back to Sydney and spent the night at the airport hotel before flying home the following day.

We bought honey in Australia during the ABD trip. When we returned to Sydney at the end to fly home (coming from New Zealand), customs took the honey, even though we explained that we had bought it in Australia! I think it really depends on who happens to check your luggage.
    No, even between NZ and Aust they are strict. There are some diseases that NZ doesn't have that Aust does.. it would have happened with whoever checked your luggage.

ajw28

Earning My Ears
    I understand that they are strict, but it was a sealed jar of honey that was purchased in Australia to begin with. It couldn't have any diseases from New Zealand.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.