New Year, New Beginnings - January 2022 W.I.S.H thread

When I started my last (and finally successful) attempt to lose weight, I really made the effort to cook meals that were not only good for us, but we enjoyed them. Or, when I was still working I came up with several dinners that were easy but kept me on track. A favorite was steamed shrimp, a salad and if it was Friday, a glass of wine! I was in my 40s, but I realized if I didn’t make major changes to the way we ate, I was never going to be able to lose weight and keep it off.

Hmm.... I'm really good at sticking with the program for three month increments? I just need to figure out how to get those three month blocks running back-to-back so I'm not also having the time periods in-between where I'm not doing the necessary things for healthy living. I think I may be better at the mental health part, listening and seeking new ideas and ways to look at and process things.

When I did well I didn't feel deprived or that I have to exercise or move more unless I feel like it. I did only things I love, I ate food I love but I didn't want to eat much junk as it didn't make me feel good. I was also content that what works for me, isn't going to work for everyone and what others do or think don't matter.

Somehow I had few though years and I forgot it all.

I think this year I feel like this again. I want to eat healthy, I don't feel deprived. I have two boxes of Italian chocolate in the house and no intention to eat it. I want to get healthier more than I want to eat chocolates

My strength is being able to educate myself on topics of interest, but that can be a bad thing too with information overload. That I cook well too, and when I cook I always try to cook healthish

Last edited:
Hmm.... I'm really good at sticking with the program for three month increments? I just need to figure out how to get those three month blocks running back-to-back so I'm not also having the time periods in-between where I'm not doing the necessary things for healthy living. I think I may be better at the mental health part, listening and seeking new ideas and ways to look at and process things.
Oneanne, I greatly admire your openness to seeking those new ideas and I have adopted some of them myself! Especially some of the authors and podcasts you have recommended.

When I did well I didn't feel deprived or that I have to exercise or move more unless I feel like it. I did only things I love, I ate food I love but I didn't want to eat much junk as it didn't make me feel good. I was also content that what works for me, isn't going to work for everyone and what others do or think don't matter.

Somehow I had few though years and I forgot it all.

I think this year I feel like this again. I want to eat healthy, I don't feel deprived. I have two boxes of Italian chocolate in the house and no intention to eat it. I want to get healthier more than I want to eat chocolates

My strength is being able to educate myself on topics of interest, but that can be a bad thing too with information overload. That I cool well too, and when I cook I always try to cook healthish
I admire your discipline re exercise. I think you will be a good motivator for me to keep active during these long, cold months!

I am not sure. I am pretty good with moderation except for when I get upset or stressed. I don't cut all of the junk because I know in the long run I won't be able to sustain it. I like my cake too much. But having a Little Debbie snack during the week is not going to kill. I just need to move more. This is so hard with 2 active teenagers that are involved in so much and working full time.

Let’s pat ourselves on the back a little today…

What’s a strength of yours that has helped you on your journey to a healthier lifestyle?

...reliance on routines (which is actually something many people wouldn't see as a strength) but I believe it's all about knowing yourself and working with your nature instead of against it. Walking on the treadmill in the evening is automatic for me now, because I figured out where it would fit best into my day, and connected it to something to look forward to. Momentum over motivation again.

I took DD back to the doctor last night. The did blood work as well as tested for mono. She is to continue the antibiotic. They also gave her medicine to help with the dizziness. We got the bloodwork back and all of it is normal. It just looks like she has some funky virus. They want us back on Friday or Saturday if this continues.

Today has been a mess. We had the the prescription called into the Walgreens by us. I went to pick it up after the time the app said that it should be ready. When I got there they were closed and wouldn't open until today at 9. I went up there at 9 and they refused to fill it until sometime later tonight. I tried to tell them she really needed this med. They were not having any of it. They closed yesterday at noon because there machines went down so they had a huge back log of over 100 prescriptions to fill. I asked if the other Walgreens down the street would be able to fill it and they just gave me an attitude. I went to the parking lot and called the CVS that was close and they were able to fill it and suggested I call the doctor and have them call it into them as it would most likely take Walgreens hours to transfer it. I had to talk the office into doing it. The doctor she saw yesterday is not in today but there are like 6 other doctors who are in today that could. The receptionist finally gave in. I was almost in tears on the phone. I just wanted to get this medicine to DD. The doctor did call it in but they it was back to Walgreens to get them to cancel the one they had. I had to call them twice to cancel it. Finally at about noon I was able to get DD the medicine. After I came home I check the medicine to Bonine to see what was different. They are the exact same. The only difference is that the prescription says to take 3 times a day and Bonine says only 2 in a 24 hour period. Had I know that I would have given her the Bonine and just waited it out. It was such a stressful morning. I wanted to stop at McDonald's on my way home but I didn't.

Now I will have to get on the treadmill after my hair appointment at like 8 tonight. With all this running around and being on the phone with non work stuff I didn't feel I should not take a lunch and get on the treadmill. I will do it though. Yesterday I only got 45 minutes in. I had such a sinus headache but I just walked slow and got it done.

I took DD back to the doctor last night. The did blood work as well as tested for mono. She is to continue the antibiotic. They also gave her medicine to help with the dizziness. We got the bloodwork back and all of it is normal. It just looks like she has some funky virus. They want us back on Friday or Saturday if this continues.

Today has been a mess. We had the the prescription called into the Walgreens by us. I went to pick it up after the time the app said that it should be ready. When I got there they were closed and wouldn't open until today at 9. I went up there at 9 and they refused to fill it until sometime later tonight. I tried to tell them she really needed this med. They were not having any of it. They closed yesterday at noon because there machines went down so they had a huge back log of over 100 prescriptions to fill. I asked if the other Walgreens down the street would be able to fill it and they just gave me an attitude. I went to the parking lot and called the CVS that was close and they were able to fill it and suggested I call the doctor and have them call it into them as it would most likely take Walgreens hours to transfer it. I had to talk the office into doing it. The doctor she saw yesterday is not in today but there are like 6 other doctors who are in today that could. The receptionist finally gave in. I was almost in tears on the phone. I just wanted to get this medicine to DD. The doctor did call it in but they it was back to Walgreens to get them to cancel the one they had. I had to call them twice to cancel it. Finally at about noon I was able to get DD the medicine. After I came home I check the medicine to Bonine to see what was different. They are the exact same. The only difference is that the prescription says to take 3 times a day and Bonine says only 2 in a 24 hour period. Had I know that I would have given her the Bonine and just waited it out. It was such a stressful morning. I wanted to stop at McDonald's on my way home but I didn't.

Now I will have to get on the treadmill after my hair appointment at like 8 tonight. With all this running around and being on the phone with non work stuff I didn't feel I should not take a lunch and get on the treadmill. I will do it though. Yesterday I only got 45 minutes in. I had such a sinus headache but I just walked slow and got it done.
What a stressful day. Piglet, a real strength of yours is time management. I remember my daughter being that age and working full time-it is not easy.

...reliance on routines (which is actually something many people wouldn't see as a strength) but I believe it's all about knowing yourself and working with your nature instead of against it. Walking on the treadmill in the evening is automatic for me now, because I figured out where it would fit best into my day, and connected it to something to look forward to. Momentum over motivation again.
And when you’re home full time it’s easy to let the day go by and realize I haven’t taken my walk or accomplished half of my list! Having a routine and following it is a real strength!

:hug:

Let’s pat ourselves on the back a little today…

What’s a strength of yours that has helped you on your journey to a healthier lifestyle?
I think that my biggest strength is that I no longer give into pressure from others to eat over my caloric budget.

When my DH goes into sabotage mode, I still get frustrated, but I no longer give in and eat the triggering foods that he brings into the house. I used to struggle with my colleagues ordering takeout during lunch as well as celebrations involving food at school. Others would pressure me to join in and when I would say, “No thank you,” they would continue to pressure me. At some point, I stopped allowing others’ opinions and comments to bother me. I just started to put me and my well-being first. Eventually colleagues stopped nagging me when I proved to be more stubborn than them.

If I want a treat, it’s on my terms.

Last edited:
I think that my biggest strength is that I no longer give into pressure from others to eat over my caloric budget.

When my DH goes into sabotage mode, I still get frustrated, but I no longer give in and eat the triggering foods that he brings into the house. I used to struggle with my colleagues ordering takeout during lunch as well as celebrations involving food at school. Others would pressure me to join in and when I would say, “No thank you,” they would continue to pressure me. At some point, I stopped allowing others’ opinions and comments bother me. I just started to put me and my well-being first. Eventually colleagues stopped nagging me when I proved to be more stubborn than them.

If I want a treat, it’s on my terms.
This is hard and always surprises me when some people just can’t accept no thanks.

Woohoo, I’m getting together with friends for book club today!

Woohoo, it’s going up to 41 degrees today. Will take a nice long walk this afternoon.

Woohoo, bringing a vegetable and hummus tray to book club so I can balance out higher calorie foods.

4D75344E-F938-4DC0-852D-29EE87661FE8.jpeg

Oh this is so pretty looking! I love the Christmassy holder you have for your dish. I would happily join in for some veggies & hummus

Whoohoo - the scale is at 4.3kg down since 26th of December. In reality weight loss is likely to be about 2 kg and the rest temporary Christmas meal fluctuation as the first 2 kg were gone in day or two but it feels good. Long way to go but I can only focus on today and one day at time

I miss exercise. I am hoping if I get to healthy weight again I will be able to do more again as I find this very restricting.

Habit tracker 2.0 - cut few as there were too many.

2062f2d98c096f07bf1be5a85efd3266.jpg

Last edited:
I am woohooing getting my hair done last night and that DD is doing a bit better this morning.

I am loving my hair. I got it cut short again. Well short for me. It is about shoulder length. We also did the red violet as high lights so my hair is more of a deep red with my dark natural color as the base color. This is very different for me but looks really good.

DD had a rough night. She slept for 4 hours after getting home from school and then was in bed after only being up for 2 hours. She told me she slept through the night and this is my kids that doesn't sleep great. She was also super dizzy last night. I told DH that if she was the same this morning I was keeping her home from school today. I had to help her up from the couch to take her to bed. This morning she is still super tired but not really dizzy so I sent her to school. I think she is tired from being being and then adding the medicine to help with the dizziness is just making it worse. I am in a catch 22 with this. Don't give her the meds and she is really dizzy, give her the meds and she is super tired but not as dizzy. I did email her teachers this morning to let them know what is going on. I did ask them to let me know if she is not doing good at school and I can pick her up. I am crossing my fingers that she makes it though the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter