Votes: 65 24.4%
  • 2nd Half of year 2021

Votes: 39 14.7%

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • DCL may not return

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
I put the 2nd Qtr of 2021.

According to the CDC, there were 27,158 new cases on the day they imposed the 100-day sail ban. The most recent report (6/21) shows 27,616 new cases. I don't think they are going to allow cruising anytime soon. I could see most cruise lines hoping for Spring Break but DCL will be the last to return.

I can't wait to revisit this post at the end of the year. I wonder how wrong I will be. It makes me sad to read about all the ruined vacations.

Q1, 2021. I just don't realistically see cruising coming back this year. There's too much risk and it's kind of hard to cruise with strict social distancing measures. Things like buffets, large dining rooms, pools, etc. Plus you are with a bunch of strangers from all over the world.

I've given up making predictions on when cruising will resume - though I hope it's by next April as that's when our next one is scheduled. I'm not counting on that though.

One thing I do believe is that Disney will be one of the last cruise lines to restart. Unlike the big boys - Carnival, RC, NCL - DCL has the backing of Disney Corp and has a lot less at stake with only four ships. They can afford to sit back awhile and watch the others take a stab at reopening, and then learn from their mistakes. I'll be shocked if they are sailing in 2020 at all.

I've given up making predictions on when cruising will resume - though I hope it's by next April as that's when our next one is scheduled. I'm not counting on that though.

One thing I do believe is that Disney will be one of the last cruise lines to restart. Unlike the big boys - Carnival, RC, NCL - DCL has the backing of Disney Corp and has a lot less at stake with only four ships. They can afford to sit back awhile and watch the others take a stab at reopening, and then learn from their mistakes. I'll be shocked if they are sailing in 2020 at all.

I’m with you on that, DCL will absolutely be the last one back in the water, which suits me fine. I’d rather go for slow and steady wins the race (or keeps everyone safe) in this case. Plus I’m sure Disney does not want to be the next Diamond Princess.

4th Quarter of 2020??

Why not put 4th Quarter of 2020 on the poll? 4th quarter is possible seeing as we're only now in the 2nd quarter of 2020. A Christmas cruise would be over 6 months from now. A lot can happen in half a year. Think back 6 months ago, we were getting ready for Christmas 2019 and the virus wasn't even mentioned on this board.

Last edited:
Predictions are useless until and when they develop a effective and available vaccine for worldwide distribution. Until there is a biological prevention to contract the virus we'll be playing the "when will..." guessing game.

Q1, 2021. I just don't realistically see cruising coming back this year. There's too much risk and it's kind of hard to cruise with strict social distancing measures. Things like buffets, large dining rooms, pools, etc. Plus you are with a bunch of strangers from all over the world.

I agree and think today's announcement confirms we are going to see more cancellations.

Last edited:
4th Quarter of 2020??

Why not put 4th Quarter of 2020 on the poll? 4th quarter is possible seeing as we're only now in the 2nd quarter of 2020. A Christmas cruise would be over 6 months from now. A lot can happen in half a year. Think back 6 months ago, we were getting ready for Christmas 2019 and the virus wasn't even mentioned on this board.

I mean I hope you're right but if I set my expectations low, I can't be disappointed 😂

Hoping by next spring, in time for my trip in June... But I am not sure anymore. Initially I thought by year's end, these days I have many doubts. No prediction, just crossed fingers for safe, happy, healthy cruising to return soon!

Not going to be a DCL sailing until there's a vaccine or (better) a treatment for CV.

Even if cases are down to <100 day in the entire US sometime next year, is DCL is going to risk it? Can you imagine a DCL version of the Diamond Princess ?

If a vaccine or treatment rolls around in the first half of 2021 (optimistic scenario), by the time everyone has access to them it's going to take months.

So I voted 2022 but I hope it's summer 2021 as we have a couple DCL sailings booked.

Even if cases are down to <100 day in the entire US sometime next year, is DCL is going to risk it?

Yes because there will never be a world that has zero deadly infectious diseases or zero risks. Most people understand there is good and bad in life. There is risk in life. We swim in the ocean knowing the ocean contains sharks which are deadly to people. We do not let the bad in life define us. People that are high risk for Covid will be high risk for many other things as well. We have a local nursing home that was highlighted on our news regarding their "high Covid death rate" for May. Then someone took a look and they only had 1 more death in May 2020 than they had in May 2019. So the at risk people were dying there at the same rate even when there was no Covid but the media ran with the story anyway. At risk people will always be at risk whether Covid exists or not. We cannot pause the world while we await a vaccine that may or may not exist some day.

Man, someone on the poll put DCL may not return. Blasphemy
Not blasphemy. Although I don’t see it likely happening W DCL i fully expect some cruise lines to go bankrupt. With record numbers of covid 19 cases in FLA and CA I don’t see DCL starting up in all of 2020 let alone first quarter of 21. Disneyland is delaying opening and I full expect WDW to reach the same conclusion in the next week

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!