New WDW Dining Reservations Policy

I see both sides of this. I keep saying we are going to try to go without the dining plan, but, we are one of those that likes our trip to be more all-inclusive. Things like this are more limiting, and are exactly the kinds of things that can cause me to not book reservations, and not do the dining plan, or at least not the regular dining plan. I was just telling my DH that I would like to try the QS dining plan at some point so we can see how we like it, and just do a couple sit down meals.

I like the planning of my trip, but, dang, the ADR's, and the FP+ is starting to get annoying.

This makes sense, they must have seen a decline in no shoes on the restaurants that you had to have the CC guarantee and a increase in those you do not. Hopefully this helps.

This makes sense, they must have seen a decline in no shoes on the restaurants that you had to have the CC guarantee and a increase in those you do not. Hopefully this helps.

Lets hope that decline doesn't extend to no shirts. :lmao:

My problem with this (and I am surprised no one has mentioned this) is that Disney table service "reservations" aren't actual reservations. This is of course unless I have missed some update that says otherwise. As I recall it, "reservations" have never been used as actual reservations before. The term "reservation" is used a bit more loosely at Disney than it is elsewhere. It is more like a priority seating. So, with this being said: how exactly does Disney justify charging a fee for no shows who only request priority seating? Unless Disney is going to change there reservation system to legitimate reservations, They should not be charging for no shows.

My problem with this (and I am surprised no one has mentioned this) is that Disney table service "reservations" aren't actual reservations. This is of course unless I have missed some update that says otherwise. As I recall it, "reservations" have never been used as actual reservations before. The term "reservation" is used a bit more loosely at Disney than it is elsewhere. It is more like a priority seating. So, with this being said: how exactly does Disney justify charging a fee for no shows who only request priority seating? Unless Disney is going to change there reservation system to legitimate reservations, They should not be charging for no shows.
it's just a terminology thing. Splitting hairs is not a viable debating point..........

However, I do not think that every party will be charged if they do not cancel a day in advance. I would bet that the people who truly call several hours in advance of an ADR will be canceled without incident or charge.

I think most people are going to get charged if they do not cancel per the policy. On one of our last trips, we canceled an ADR at CG and we were charged. We knew we would be charged but we did not want to leave the resort since we were having fun hanging around AKV. We did cancel at least 3-4 hours prior to the ADR time.

The other reason we canceled was that prices have gone up and quality has decreased. We have noticed this all over WDW restaurants and we blame penny pinching by management and DDP. As a result, we make fewer and fewer ADR since the food is not worth the money or the time to dine. We used to go to CG three times a trip but now it is just one time. On the last trip, the food was so bad at some of the restaurants we preferred microwaved frozen food in our room. :scared1: We were getting what looked and tasted like frozen nuked food in the parks so we might has well have better tasting and cheaper frozen food in our room which saved us valuable fun time.

Disney has to do something to stop the rude and inconsiderate people making multiple ADRs so I don't have a problem with the new policy. These people make it hard on Disney and other Guests. These people just have to game the system to their own benefit irregardless of how their behavior affects other people. By charging people who do not cancel per the policy, Disney greatly reduces the multiple reservation problem, *** IF **** Disney enforces their policy.

Later,
Dan

it's just a terminology thing. Splitting hairs is not a viable debating point..........

It is not just a terminology thing if you are not actually getting seated at your "reservation time". Yes you still are guaranteed a seat, even if it is 45 minutes later than you expected. However, most people who find this acceptable at Disney would not find this acceptable in the "real" world. Businesses would lose patronage if they treated customers this way outside of Disney. I find it very amusing how many people are willing to look the other way when it comes to Disney, but no where else. And as far as a viable debating point, anything is a viable debating point if someone chooses to engage it :p , for instance I can debate viable debating points with you if i choose.

I don't think it makes a difference that they are not true reservations.
They are still planning on you showing up, still planning on you taking up a table and spending money. You don't show up, you get charged. Seems simple.

Hmmm. I will admit that when I first heard about this I wasn't happy. But the more I think about it, the more I wonder if it won't free up more walk up reservations.

It most likely won't affect me unless I step off a curb wrong again and sprain my ankle which I did a year ago and had to be a no show to one of my ADR's when the ankle swelled up twice it's size and I could barely walk.

I do hope Disney is prepared to make exceptions for last minute sick children or last minute injuries.

It is not just a terminology thing if you are not actually getting seated at your "reservation time". Yes you still are guaranteed a seat, even if it is 45 minutes later than you expected. However, most people who find this acceptable at Disney would not find this acceptable in the "real" world. Businesses would lose patronage if they treated customers this way outside of Disney. I find it very amusing how many people are willing to look the other way when it comes to Disney, but no where else. And as far as a viable debating point, anything is a viable debating point if someone chooses to engage it :p , for instance I can debate viable debating points with you if i choose.
it's good to be back.......... :0)..........a reservation time is always a moving target. There are people in front of you. To many variables.......how slow do people eat, how quick does their order come......are they lingerers....does the table get bussed right away. At best it is a priority seating no matter what it is called by the restaurant.

I just learned that the cancellation policy now appears to be 48 hours before. At least, that is what the information link on MDE tells me. :( When did this change?

I just learned that the cancellation policy now appears to be 48 hours before. At least, that is what the information link on MDE tells me. :( When did this change?

From the FAQ section on the Disney website, which is of no help at all:

Q.

How can I cancel my dining reservation, and how much notice do I need to give when I make a cancellation?
A.

You can cancel your dining reservation online or by calling (407) WDW-DINE or (407) 939-3463 up to 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the day before your arrival. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.

Some restaurants may charge a fee for cancellations or no shows. Each restaurant at Walt Disney World Resort maintains its own cancellation policy, so be sure to check the policy when you are making your reservation.

For more information, please refer to the cancellation policy provided in your email confirmation.

From the FAQ section on the Disney website, which is of no help at all:

If I click on the link on each of my current ADRs guaranteed by CC on My Disney Experience, I get the following message:

"For dining reservations guaranteed by a credit card, Guests who cancel within 48 hours of their reservation time or fail to show will be charged a $10 per person fee for each Guest on the reservation."

So, which is the official policy? I think it more likely that they have not updated the FAQ. IMHO, if 48 hours is the new policy, it is excessive in with instant database updating available to Disney. They could fill cancelled ADRs with "walk-ups" in most cases, but often don't appear to do so.

48 hours?!? :scared: Wow, I think we'll have our nice dinners during our Universal part of our summer vacation and stick to counter service at WDW...... Glad my dd is to "old" for character meals.....

What's next, are we going to have to pre-order our food when we make our ADR???

I'll go out on a limb here and say I like the new policy. There have been way too many times that DH and I have walked up to a restaurant to see if they have any openings, the answer is no but the restaurant is half empty. Why!? Well, because they have all these reservations that have not been cancelled...they are saving tables for people that obviously changed thier minds!

I'll go out on a limb here and say I like the new policy. There have been way too many times that DH and I have walked up to a restaurant to see if they have any openings, the answer is no but the restaurant is half empty. Why!? Well, because they have all these reservations that have not been cancelled...they are saving tables for people that obviously changed thier minds!

Yes, but 48 hours???? You don't think that is a little extreme???

P.S. The empty tables could also mean they didn't have a full staff of servers. Many times when I eat out at home, I have to wait even though there are empty tables at places that don't take reservations.

BTW, they will cancel without fees for certain issues, ie sick child. Also as long as 1 Shows up to the ADR, no charge.

Feedback from Xmas week. I originally had 6 or 7 reservations or adr's for the week.
1- I got different answers from cm's on this. I had breakfast resv's I was told they had to be cancelled 24 hours ahead meaning for mon 930 am I had to cancel by sun 930 am; I had other cm tell me it could be cancelled up to midnight. I cancelled by 930am because we weren't sure if we would be doing extra magic hours on sun night. I would know before midnight but did mot know by 930 so I cancelled. We did in room instead next morning, we would have gone if I had not cancelled.
2- we had family meet us 1 day, which we were not expecting to see. We were excited to se them but we're unsure what time they would be staying to, so we cancelled resv's night before.
3- we kept 2 reservations! We also made 1 new one while there, and kept that. The restaurants seemed to not be overwhelmingly busy. We did a walk up for lunch at via Napoli one day. The California grill we could have gotten into (I had stopped at desk checking on lounge).

For our purposes it saved us money because while we still ate, we had less TS dining and more QS and lounge dining. We had a party of 5 by the way and we ate off site one day bonnet creek resort.

Headed back down for Easter, only 2 of us, we've only made 1 resv's. In the past we probably would have 1 a day and kept most or possibly cancel 1 or 2 for the week.

While I understand Disney's thought process on this, they have actually lost some of my money in doing this. I don't use the dining plan since I stay at Shades of Green, but the money we save staying there we usually use on Disney dining. this trip I booked far fewer reservations for the simple reason being I hate being tied down to a 24 hour window. I originally booked scifi for our Hollywood Studios day, but if we get there and decide to go full throttle on rides and not stop or take a break and swim I won't have that option to grab food on the way and cancel that day. Why not implement a 15-30 min window If you don't show up fill the spot with a walk in . Will Disney really "make money" on your deposit of $40 for 4, or more money on a full meal will a walk up reservation ?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter