New to OKW and DVC resorts - Have some questions and need some advice!

ashleymrush

DIS Veteran
Due to the closures of the restaurants at CBR this summer, my vacation resort has now been switched to OKW. My vacation party includes 4 adults (mom, stepdad, my husband, myself, brother (16), son (8) and son (5)). While I was at work today, my mom called, without discussing any changes with me, and changed all of our reservations from 2 rooms at CBR to a 2 bedroom villa at OKW. I am in no way upset about the change but I know absolutely nothing about OKW, so I have a few questions.

1) Are there only certain areas that 2 bedroom villa are located at the resort or are they dispersed throughout? If they are only in a certain area, can you tell me where that is? If they aren't, do you have a building suggestion that we could request? I know we may not get it but it can't hurt to ask.

2) How is the transportation at the resort? We will be driving down. I don't mind driving to the park each day if it is easier than waiting on the buses.

3) We will be on a QS DP. Is it better to just bring lunch food of our own and eat in the room or is it worth the trek to the Grab and Go counter service place? We'd likely only eat there a couple days.

4) Does the large pool have games and activities for kids? Is it worth taking that trek to the big pool as well?

5) Is it worth it to use the bus within the property at the resort or just better to walk? If the bus isn't worth it, can you drive to park closer? Is that even worth it if you can?

6) We are not DVC members and even though I've been to WDW close to 20 times, I know almost nothing about DVC resorts. Do you have any tips for a first timer?

Thanks so much! I know this is a lot. If you can answer even a couple of the questions for me, I'll be very appreciative.

1. Dispersed throughout. If you are booked on cash, you are unlikely to be placed in the buildings closest to Hospitality House, as that's a booking category for DVC.

2. It's no worse than that at CBR. The bus will be faster to MK.

3. The QS at OKW is nothing special but it's okay.

4. Yes and yes.

5. Depends how much you like walking. You're better off busing than trying to park closer.

6. A DVC resort really isn't much different from a non-DVC resort. If you're staying on points, there are some differences, but it sounds like you're on cash.

Here's a few links about OKW: Just a warning, you WILL be spoiled by all the space you will have. Enjoy and have a great vacation.

Here's a few links about OKW: Just a warning, you WILL be spoiled by all the space you will have. Enjoy and have a great vacation.

Thanks for sharing the videos! The man doing the narration said the video was filmed in 2010. Have the room been refurbed since then?

A minor refurb was done in 2010 or 11. A major is scheduled to start this summer, 2017. It will be building by building. You may have some noise form 9-5, depending on where your unit is and where they are working.

Another question...is there only one place to refill the mugs or are there multiple locations?

Another question...is there only one place to refill the mugs or are there multiple locations?
At the QS (Goods-to-Go) and at the Snack bar. They're pretty far apart, though. The refillable mug can be a hike from a lot of buildings.

As for busses, the park busses make their first stop at the Peninsular Road when entering the resort and their last stop at the Hospitality House before exiting the resort. We have stayed in every section except Southpoint and always get off the bus at Peninsular Road and always walk to the Hospitality House to catch the bus. This way we get off the bus first when returning and head straight to the park after boarding. Three of us enjoy the walks...the other is a teenage boy so he enjoys nothing.
The boat to Disney Springs is a nice relaxing ride.
As for driving to the parks, we drive most of the time but the bus to MK is probably quicker...just our preference.

The Turtle Shack is only open seasonally and even then it might have limited hours. The refillable mug isn't very convenient at OKW. So just fill up your refrigerator with your favorite beverages. Then use your mug when you get off the bus or head to the main pool (which is where the pool games are held).

Very few of the buildings have elevators. Only the three newer ones have elevators and they are usually reserved for medical needs. So you might be on a higher floor and taking the stairs up and down.

By the way, in post #3 that BillPA posted with the two videos, OKW doesn't rent out boats any more. The only boat is the ferry to Disney Springs and back to OKW. The picture for the first video shows where the counter service is located. If you look carefully, you can see a blue table umbrella. That's your seating for the counter service (just picnic tables with umbrellas) and the counter service (Goods to Go) is located right across from those umbrellas. It was originally just the pool food location since OKW was the first DVC resort and it was expected that all the guests would use their kitchenettes and kitchens to make food for their personal consumption. Unless they decided to eat at Olivia's, the table service dining option.

Parking your vehicle right outside your room makes for faster transportation than waiting on the bus.
Parking in the HH area for access to the main pool is what we do.
Check the activities scheduled for the week to find the times for the games at the pool.
In case you do not know already, you will have a full size kitchen with range, refrigerator, table seating for 8, and full set of dishes/cookware.
Since you are on a cash reservation you will have a full daily cleaning not the cleaning schedule of someone renting points or a DVC member.
As PP mentioned the boat ride to DS in enjoyable especially in the evening.
If you enjoy walking, there is a walkway all the way to DS that goes along the golf course and through SSR.
You will have a full laundry in the room.
The 2nd bedroom will be a studio room that will have it's own separate bathroom, two queen beds, mini-refrigerator, micro-wave, toaster, and coffee maker.

The parking at the Hospitality House is poor. Often there is no parking available and you drive around until someone leaves. You really should park across the street in the parking lot for one of the resort buildings as that take away parking for guests staying in those buildings. Also we have been prevented from even pulling into the parking lot because buses are backed up trying to unload passengers when ME arrives at the same time a park bus and the internal bus arrive.

So I would stick with walking in cooler weather or waiting for a bus to take you there it hot weather. I believe the Hospitality House is the last bus stop before going to the parks, so you can take any bus to HH.

Due to the closures of the restaurants at CBR this summer, my vacation resort has now been switched to OKW. My vacation party includes 4 adults (mom, stepdad, my husband, myself, brother (16), son (8) and son (5)). While I was at work today, my mom called, without discussing any changes with me, and changed all of our reservations from 2 rooms at CBR to a 2 bedroom villa at OKW. I am in no way upset about the change but I know absolutely nothing about OKW, so I have a few questions.
1st, let me say, you are going to experience a world of difference of a mod vs DVC. Plus OKW has huge 2 bedrooms. We love the laid back feel of OKW. Its a very relaxing resort after a long day at a park, and a great place to just chill in the AM on the patios, watching the golfers while enjoying a cup o joe :-)

1) Are there only certain areas that 2 bedroom villa are located at the resort or are they dispersed throughout? If they are only in a certain area, can you tell me where that is? If they aren't, do you have a building suggestion that we could request? I know we may not get it but it can't hurt to ask.
2 beds are dispersed throughout the complex. We prefer the Turtle Pond Area. Its quiet and not terribly far removed from the Hospitality House area(maybe 10 min walk). Bear in mind, all buildings are stairs, not elevators, and some have 3 floors. There are 3 buildings numbered in the 60s that have elevators but are tricky to get. So if stairs are issue, ask for ground floor

2) How is the transportation at the resort? We will be driving down. I don't mind driving to the park each day if it is easier than waiting on the buses.
I prefer a car here, as you can park very near your door, and keeps you from the stress of making the bus stop in time

3) We will be on a QS DP. Is it better to just bring lunch food of our own and eat in the room or is it worth the trek to the Grab and Go counter service place? We'd likely only eat there a couple days.
Grab and Go is just so so IMO. Bring your own. But I will say, try Olivias for breakfast and lunch or dinner, mmmmm

4) Does the large pool have games and activities for kids? Is it worth taking that trek to the big pool as well?
Yes and Yes. But, the pools near specific areas are great too, and quite

5) Is it worth it to use the bus within the property at the resort or just better to walk? If the bus isn't worth it, can you drive to park closer? Is that even worth it if you can?
Walk. With car in tow, I would skip busses

6) We are not DVC members and even though I've been to WDW close to 20 times, I know almost nothing about DVC resorts. Do you have any tips for a first timer?
Enjoy and be prepared to look closer at DVC. It will spoil you:D

Thanks so much! I know this is a lot. If you can answer even a couple of the questions for me, I'll be very appreciative.

Parking your vehicle right outside your room makes for faster transportation than waiting on the bus.
Parking in the HH area for access to the main pool is what we do.
Check the activities scheduled for the week to find the times for the games at the pool.
In case you do not know already, you will have a full size kitchen with range, refrigerator, table seating for 8, and full set of dishes/cookware.
Since you are on a cash reservation you will have a full daily cleaning not the cleaning schedule of someone renting points or a DVC member.
As PP mentioned the boat ride to DS in enjoyable especially in the evening.
If you enjoy walking, there is a walkway all the way to DS that goes along the golf course and through SSR.
You will have a full laundry in the room.
The 2nd bedroom will be a studio room that will have it's own separate bathroom, two queen beds, mini-refrigerator, micro-wave, toaster, and coffee maker.
I agree with Denlo about parking at the HH to use the pool or dine. Parking is quite limited there and it can be difficult finding a place to park when you are checking in. Take the bus or walk. It's only a ten minute walk or less from anywhere in the resort. And you really don't want to take up the parking spaces at the villas next to the HH. That just means those guests won't be able to park their vehicles.

You have a dining room table with chairs for four in the living room. You also have a patio table with chairs for four on the porch. So you cannot seat eight people around the dining room table. You can bring the chairs in from the porch, but you still won't be able to fit all eight chairs around the table.

The walkway that goes to Disney Springs is not lit at night, so you won't want to walk the path when it is dark. And you will need to stay off the golf course and the cart paths on the golf course.

The second bedroom isn't always a studio. If the two bedroom villa is a dedicated two bedroom villa, you won't have the kitchenette in the second bedroom. Thus no coffee pot, no toaster, no microwave or undercounter refrigerator. If the villa is a dedicated two bedroom, the space where the kitchenette would have been becomes a second bathroom sink area (just outside the actual bathroom). And where the second entrance to the villa would have been with a lockout two bedroom becomes a large closet. Plus there is no small balcony in the second bedroom when it is dedicated. But the second bedroom always has two queen beds, no matter if it is a dedicated or lockoff two bedroom. OKW has the only studio at WDW that has two queen beds in the second bedroom all the time.

Btw....I am "that mom that changed the reservations without her permission" of the original poster. Hopefully, I did good by
changing things. By what you all have said, it looks as if I did. I want to thank you all for all of the questions that you have answered. It has been very helpful!!:thanks:

The parking at the Hospitality House is poor. Often there is no parking available and you drive around until someone leaves. You really should park across the street in the parking lot for one of the resort buildings as that take away parking for guests staying in those buildings. Also we have been prevented from even pulling into the parking lot because buses are backed up trying to unload passengers when ME arrives at the same time a park bus and the internal bus arrive.

So I would stick with walking in cooler weather or waiting for a bus to take you there it hot weather. I believe the Hospitality House is the last bus stop before going to the parks, so you can take any bus to HH.

I hope this is just a typo, but you should NOT park in the resort spot when visiting, park in the lot there, not across the street.

At either of the locations for the refillable mugs, do they just have soda or do they have coffee, hot chocolate, etc.?

They have those options at Goods to Go. I can't speak for the snack bar because it's never been open on my trips!

One other thing to share- you will have a washer and dryer in your unit, so think of that when you begin packing.

Btw....I am "that mom that changed the reservations without her permission" of the original poster. Hopefully, I did good by
changing things. By what you all have said, it looks as if I did. I want to thank you all for all of the questions that you have answered. It has been very helpful!!:thanks:

If I was your daughter, I'd be ectsatic. A huge 2 bedroom in a deluxe vs 2 rooms in a mod? I'd be all over it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!