New to DVC banking/booking

Jaguar Skills

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

We are new to DVC and have just booked our first trip (15 Apr to 6 May 2021). We have a Feb UY.

We will be coming from the UK so there is still quite a bit of uncertainty about whether we will actually get to go, especially as there is not even a travel corridor yet. We used our full allocation of 180 points for Feb 2021 and 9 of our points from 2022 for this booking.

My question is, if things sta ythe same (or get worse with Covid) what is the latest point we can bank the points to 2022? I would hate to lose any points in our first year!

But that would be September 30th 2021 right? So after our trip is supposed to have taken place. So we can leave the trip as is then make a decision if it isnt going to go ahead and because its Apr/May then just bank into 2022. I assume that the 9 points we have taken from 2022 we cannot do anything with as they have been moved already?

But that would be September 30th 2021 right? So after our trip is supposed to have taken place. So we can leave the trip as is then make a decision if it isnt going to go ahead and because its Apr/May then just bank into 2022. I assume that the 9 points we have taken from 2022 we cannot do anything with as they have been moved already?
You would need to cancel your trip a month before to get the points back to be able to bank (expire 31st Jan 2023) otherwise they go into a holding account that must be used in current UY (expire 31st Jan 2022)

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/faq/holding-account/definition/
have you booked flights yet? we have just got ours for Aug 2021.

You would need to cancel your trip a month before to get the points back to be able to bank (expire 31st Jan 2023) otherwise they go into a holding account that must be used in current UY (expire 31st Jan 2022)

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/faq/holding-account/definition/
have you booked flights yet? we have just got ours for Aug 2021.

Thanks - still so confused with all this. We did book our flights but these can be moved for up to 2 years.

I think from what you are saying we would need to make a decision in March about whether to rebook for 2021 or move to 2022?

Last edited:
Thanks - still so confused with all this. We did book our flights but these can be moved for up to 2 years.
It is all a bit complicated.....if you cancel in March your points will return and you can bank (you will have until 30th Sep 2021 to decide that), if it’s less than 30 days until check in they will then be unable to bank.

Anything you’re not sure of let me know

It is all a bit complicated.....if you cancel in March your points will return and you can bank (you will have until 30th Sep 2021 to decide that), if it’s less than 30 days until check in they will then be unable to bank.

Anything you’re not sure of let me know

Thanks so much.

I think from what you are saying we would need to make a decision in March about whether to rebook for 2021 or move to 2022?

To avoid holding, you have to cancel at least 31 days before check in. As long as you do that, then the points are returned in the same way as how they were in your reservation

The 2021 UY points would be bankable and the 9 borrowed would be stuck and expire Jan 31st, 2022.

If they did become holding, not only are they not bankable, but you can only use them to reserve a room 60 days or less from check in. So, they really do become restricted points.

That means no later than March 13th for a cancel to ensure you avoid it.

I think if it as a cancellation policy. If you cancel more than 30 days before your reservation, you get a “full refund” and no penalty. The points return as if no reservation was made. If you cancel after that, then the penalty is the points are put into holding as previous posters describe.

I think if it as a cancellation policy. If you cancel more than 30 days before your reservation, you get a “full refund” and no penalty. The points return as if no reservation was made. If you cancel after that, then the penalty is the points are put into holding as previous posters describe.

It may not be like a reservation was never made. It will depend on the timing of the trip, as to what needs to happen when points from the trip are returned to the account.

Borrowed points don’t go back to their UY and if you are beyond the banking window, all the points will expire at the end of the UY of the trip.

So, while there is no holding penalty, someone could still have points that need to be used up.

It may not be like a reservation was never made. It will depend on the timing of the trip, as to what needs to happen when points from the trip are returned to the account.

Borrowed points don’t go back to their UY and if you are beyond the banking window, all the points will expire at the end of the UY of the trip.

So, while there is no holding penalty, someone could still have points that need to be used up.
Yes, thank you, great point! I don’t tend to borrow, so I forget about that.
Deb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!