So... just to confirm now that SWGE is open to the masses... is it recommended to book your Savi's and Oga's reservations at 7 AM for whatever time you wish/can get and rope drop Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run??

How swiftly does the Falcon attraction rocket up in wait times in the early morning (first 30 min to an hour)? I would like to know if it would be possible to hit the attraction at rope drop and then get off and get back in line without too much of an insane wait... or is it just better to ride once early and then wait until later in the day/evening when it drops to approx 30 minutes and under to go get your re-rides in??

I won't be able to ride Millennium Falcon because of my motion sickness but am I able to walk and wait in the line with our party and then leave through an exit before they board?

I would hazard a guess that the following factors are driving lower attendance:

1. Summer is no longer a crazy busy season at Disneyland
2. There are signs the economy is softening. Consumers may be pulling back on discretionary spending (i.e. $149 for a single day ticket at DL).
3. Galaxy's Edge may not be bring in new revenue as much as it protects existing revenue. What I mean by that is - GE will be a way to improve the value of the park for those that are already loyal to Disneyland. It may not bring in new customers that have never typically spent $$ on theme parks. Which leads to...
4. I do think the use of the Star Wars IP from the new trilogy has limited or put a ceiling on demand from those in bucket #3. If they had gone with original trilogy IP and characters, they might have had a chance to bring in some new customers.

Just my .02. And I realize the jury is still way, way out on GE.
I think your #3 is really interesting. Obviously there are a lot of theories as what could be contributing to low crowds, and the answer is surely a combination of all of them, but the one consistent explanation that keeps coming up is that APs were blocked this summer. But if crowds are low because APs are blocked, that means that Disney did not draw in many new visitors with SWGE, and the park is still primarily attractive (at least this summer) to individuals who already like it so much that they are willing to spend the money on an annual pass to go often--and who would have probably continued to do so even without SWGE. And who probably won't need more than one $200 lightsaber or $100+ droid. Not attracting new visitors can't be what Disney intended, so hopefully the new visitors are just waiting for ROTR.

I think your #3 is really interesting. Obviously there are a lot of theories as what could be contributing to low crowds, and the answer is surely a combination of all of them, but the one consistent explanation that keeps coming up is that APs were blocked this summer. But if crowds are low because APs are blocked, that means that Disney did not draw in many new visitors with SWGE, and the park is still primarily attractive (at least this summer) to individuals who already like it so much that they are willing to spend the money on an annual pass to go often--and who would have probably continued to do so even without SWGE. And who probably won't need more than one $200 lightsaber or $100+ droid. Not attracting new visitors can't be what Disney intended, so hopefully the new visitors are just waiting for ROTR.

Good reply. I have to think if Disney were really focused on new customers now, they would have used the IP from the original Star Wars films to pull in the middle age to older SW fans who have never really spent $$ on a theme park before.

But if Disney is focused on the future, and making sure DL is a place that continually innovates and adds value for its existing customer base, the IP from the newer films probably makes more sense.

Reactions: EmJ

Though crowds are great now, I'm still expecting the worst when we are there 10/9 & 10/10. All APs will be open and the Halloween crowds will be in full force. If ROTR is open then it will be even worse..

• EVERYONE is waiting until 10/9 & 10/10 to go...
I’d also like to know what’s special about the 10/9 date. A few others have replied reasons like money, but I don’t understand what’s different on 10/9 versus, say, 10/7 saying that.

I have plans to visit Disneyland 10/5-10/9, but maybe I should consider scuttling it all together (though that would rule out Disneyland for years, most likely, if at all).

I went to Batuu yesterday with the goal of getting a kowakian monkey-lizard since they were sold out during my reserved group last week. I had an idea of what to expect since I was keeping an eye on things via social media updates from various people who went on Monday.

I didn't want to rush into the parks super early so I made a reservation for Oga's Cantina so that if they ended up doing boarding groups, I'd be good to go in around a time that worked for me. I'm a local AP Holder so I know this is a benefit for me and wouldn't necessarily work out for everyone coming to the parks.

I got into the reservation queue around 6-6:30 and refreshed periodically while getting ready and was able to get a 10am time slot pretty easily once it opened at 7am. It seemed to be a big difference compared to how fast the reservations sold out the day prior.

From what I experienced, I don't think they had to utilize the boarding groups at all yesterday. Both parks seemed to be low capacity and I was actually able to ride Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout three times in a row with 10 min or less wait time.

Anyway, I wanted to share my experience with Smuggler's Run and Oga's Cantina. Once I got into Disneyland around 8:30 (with no issues or lines) I made my way to the Fantasyland entrance to get into Galaxy's Edge. They were directing everyone to the Critter Country entrance but I noticed that once I left around 11, they were utilizing all 3 entrances. I headed to the Creature Stall and made my purchase and then figured I'd wander around until my reservation at 10 for Oga's. The wait time was 180 minutes for Smuggler's Run so I grabbed breakfast at Docking Bay 7. It wasn't bad, wasn't great, but was cool for the experience.

I lined up for Oga's around 9:45 and it went pretty smoothly. I could tell there were people who were there for the first time (of course!) but the cast members were calm and did a good job of explaining the process. A few guests came up trying to get in without reservations who were turned away and most of them understood. One gentleman argued with the cast member at the front of the line but she maintained her composure, which I'm sure was probably difficult.

Once I was inside, my experience wasn't quite the same. I had been inside once before so I was familiar with the process and the menu. The bartender that was assigned to us was really short and unfriendly which seemed to upset the other people who were part of the group I was placed into. I couldn't tell if he was trying to be in character or if he was frustrated with the world, but I was surprised with his behavior. He went down the bartop and asked each person "you ready or what?" and looked away when they ordered or asked him a question. There's a time limit of 45 minutes once you're inside, and I guess he was trying to move things along, but a majority of the people there are seeing everything for the first time. All the other bartenders were smiling and engaging but he remained stone faced and off-putting, especially when he threw the the cup holding my cards and receipts at me. Again, I don't know if he was having a bad day or if maybe he'd be better suited for another job...but it was strange.

I left there and headed towards Smuggler's Run which was down to a 75 minute wait. I was solo in the parks so I decided to go through the single rider line. I think I ended up waiting around 20-30 minutes total, but I think it would have gone faster. The reason it took longer was because there were families of 4-6 who wanted to go together and claimed that they didn't realize it was only for single riders. Just another day in paradise :crazy:

I apologize for the long post but I wanted to share my thoughts/experiences to give an idea of how it was on a slow Tuesday!
I hope you report the Cm. That’s weird.

How much of a motion ride like Star Tours is the new ride? I am fine to take the "chicken exit" after waiting with my family but my son really wants me to ride with them. I can't do Mission Space in Epcot (due to the straps and extremely small podlike structure along with motion sickness). I can't do Star Tours but Flights of Passage in Animal Kingdom is fine for the most part. I just want to know what I am up against before I make my decision and I can't seem to find a lot about the motion part of the ride. Thanks!
I am in the same boat as you are, I am worried about being sick for the rest of the day but I don't want to miss out either...

I have never done Mission Space because or Star Tours because I did't want to be sick. Flight of passage made me ill.. hmmm I might be taking the chicken exit too..

I’d also like to know what’s special about the 10/9 date. A few others have replied reasons like money, but I don’t understand what’s different on 10/9 versus, say, 10/7 saying that.

I have plans to visit Disneyland 10/5-10/9, but maybe I should consider scuttling it all together (though that would rule out Disneyland for years, most likely, if at all).
I wouldn't change plans based on one person's post. I thought it might have been more of the tongue in cheek "I'm going on 10/9 and 10/10 and with my luck so will EVERYONE else." You could always PM the original poster for clarification.

On the other hand, Gay Days is the weekend of Oct 5-6 so expect it to be busier. Typically they schedule activities in DL on Sat.

I wouldn't change plans based on one person's post. I thought it might have been more of the tongue in cheek "I'm going on 10/9 and 10/10 and with my luck so will EVERYONE else." You could always PM the original poster for clarification.

On the other hand, Gay Days is the weekend of Oct 5-6 so expect it to be busier. Typically they schedule activities in DL on Sat.
That’s fair- that’s how I originally took it, but I just learned about Gay Days when we first started kicking the idea around and didn’t know if there was an extra event going on 10/9 as well.

We literally just booked flights, so I have 23 hours from now to decide if we should still go. We’ve never been to DL. We realized that with a bigger (non-Disney) trip planned 2020, we won’t be going to Disneyland that year. And after that we may be dealing with larger life changes (re: pregnancies, babies, kids- assuming we’re lucky) that may prevent us from giant trips.

I sent an email asking about the droid backpacks. The response was that they are expecting a restock, but they aren't sure when it will happen. So not much info, but something!

I sent an email asking about the droid backpacks. The response was that they are expecting a restock, but they aren't sure when it will happen. So not much info, but something!
They are out of SO much stuff! After we visited today, we went to Launch Bay and my daughter said to one of the CMs that “half the stuff in Star Wars Land is gone!” And she’s kind of not wrong since so much of the land is merch, ha!

In other news, the Cantina this afternoon was SO much more pleasant and less crowded than during the reservation period, we waited just under 45 minutes for MFSR at 5:00, and I finally got a Ronto Wrap, which was indeed delicious.

Outside of SWGE, the parks were real dead.

They are out of SO much stuff! After we visited today, we went to Launch Bay and my daughter said to one of the CMs that “half the stuff in Star Wars Land is gone!” And she’s kind of not wrong since so much of the land is merch, ha!

In other news, the Cantina this afternoon was SO much more pleasant and less crowded than during the reservation period, we waited just under 45 minutes for MFSR at 5:00, and I finally got a Ronto Wrap, which was indeed delicious.

Outside of SWGE, the parks were real dead.
haha love the honesty. I know sometimes gauging the demand for items can be hard but I wish they kept a better stock there. I really thought they were just hiding items during the reservation period so things we be available for the main opening...guess not

Next week when I go I'm for sure going to the cantina again, and maybe I'll try the wrap. I know I want the milk again!

Has anyone been inside Oga's this week? Wondering how crowded it's been compared to the reservation period. We will be there on Tuesday, and I really hope they don't change anything between now and then...

I was in the Cantina on Tuesday and I would say it felt the same as when I went during the reservation period. Both times being filled to capacity.

I was in the Cantina on Tuesday and I would say it felt the same as when I went during the reservation period. Both times being filled to capacity.
Okay, thanks. During our reservation period it felt really light--but we were the 8 am group so that may be why.

Okay, thanks. During our reservation period it felt really light--but we were the 8 am group so that may be why.
See, we got in at 9am during the reservation period and it was PACKED, unpleasantly so. Yesterday during our 4:30 reservation, it was not packed at all. I’m sure it has to do with how long people stay and if people no-show and whatever now that there are set reservations... there were a lot of people with kids yesterday (including me) that probably didn’t stay for a 2nd drink, which may have been the difference.

I go back for an 8:30 reservation tonight with just adults, so I’ll report back!068B72AB-313D-4774-9149-0E14C9988BA4.jpeg

See, we got in at 9am during the reservation period and it was PACKED, unpleasantly so. Yesterday during our 4:30 reservation, it was not packed at all. I’m sure it has to do with how long people stay and if people no-show and whatever now that there are set reservations... there were a lot of people with kids yesterday (including me) that probably didn’t stay for a 2nd drink, which may have been the difference.

I go back for an 8:30 reservation tonight with just adults, so I’ll report back!View attachment 412493
Wow!!! That looks so nice! Nothing like when we went in last Sunday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter