New Security Measures for MK Guests; UPDATES: Page 12 - Post 222; Live Reports - Pgs. 18-20

I've repeated on this and every other thread that has popped up about security, that to me Universal does a more efficient job at bag checking by having a lot of x-ray machines and metal detectors. For whatever reason Disney has not gone that route.
By everyone going through the same process (bags and metal detectors) it eliminates the "random" checks. Even if the CM are using a technique like, every 5th person goes through metal detector, it still makes that person feel different, you know?
I feel no more secure now than I did when I moved here and started going to the parks on a regular basis in 1997.
As to security theater or not, that's a topic for another thread since here we are discussing the new measures that have been implemented, if you haven't been here in a while don't be surprised to see Orange County Police at the entrances and even inside the parks, they want a clear visual for everyone to "feel" safer.

FYI... our experience this week was very mixed. On 4/3, it was seamless - bag check at the Poly only to took a moment, then onto the resort monorail and at MK enjoying the park just minutes later.

Today, resort monorail was down. Directed us to TTC where the lines were insane. Once we were finally through, we were told that the MK monorail was down as well, and we were all directed to the ferry. (We would have taken a bus if we'd known.) One boat filled, and we were able to get on the next one - we're on our way now, an hour after we tried to board at the Poly.

Monday was a dream. Today, not so magical.

Last edited:
I'm SO TIRED of the term "security theater". Overused much? I'm also tired of armchair quarterbacks. Disney is not in the business of throwing away money. Nor are they in the business of not keeping their guests safe, even if only for publicity and lawsuit concerns. Maybe, for once, let's assume that they are experts at what they do, and they have access to ALL of the information. Perhaps I'm weary of this same issue playing out in politics, but for the love, can some of us acknowledge that we don't know everything? It's really easy to pretend we would know how to run things when we are not actually in charge.

Last edited:
I've repeated on this and every other thread that has popped up about security, that to me Universal does a more efficient job at bag checking by having a lot of x-ray machines and metal detectors. For whatever reason Disney has not gone that route.
By everyone going through the same process (bags and metal detectors) it eliminates the "random" checks. Even if the CM are using a technique like, every 5th person goes through metal detector, it still makes that person feel different, you know?
I feel no more secure now than I did when I moved here and started going to the parks on a regular basis in 1997.
As to security theater or not, that's a topic for another thread since here we are discussing the new measures that have been implemented, if you haven't been here in a while don't be surprised to see Orange County Police at the entrances and even inside the parks, they want a clear visual for everyone to "feel" safer.

THIS. Centralized and standardized for all. Otherwise it's to make us feel safer not actually make us safer.

I'm SO TIRED of the term "security theater".
You don't have to read these threads. :confused3

ETA - I don't mean this to sound snarky. I felt the same way about the negative stuff on this board when FP+ was rolling out. Eventually I just stopped reading those threads. It allowed me to enjoy the board as a whole.

Last edited:
You don't have to read these threads. :confused3

ETA - I don't mean this to sound snarky. I felt the same way about the negative stuff on this board when FP+ was rolling out. Eventually I just stopped reading those threads. It allowed me to enjoy the board as a whole.
True - I was mostly skimming anyway, but I did want to read about the new security measures. But you're right - I should have known to seek other sources.

FYI... our experience this week was very mixed. On 4/3, it was seamless - bag check at the Poly only to took a moment, then onto the resort monorail and at MK enjoying the park just minutes later.

Today, resort monorail was down. Directed us to TTC where the lines were insane. Once we were finally through, we were told that the MK monorail was down as well, and we were all directed to the ferry. (We would have taken a bus if we'd known.) One boat filled, and we were able to get on the next one - we're on our way now, an hour after we tried to board at the Poly.

Monday was a dream. Today, not so magical.
you also got the Easter week crowds coming and its a Saturday. For future reference, when a bus is an option to get to MK, take the bus.

Question - are Disney metal detectors like the airport in that ANY metal must be removed? I was at an MLB game earlier this week and we could leave on jewelry, belts, etc. Only large pieces of metal had to be removed. (Interestingly enough, this particular stadium has banned backpacks, but still allows tote bags, cinch bags, etc.)

Just back from a six day trip, four spent at GF, two at CR. Was in the MK / on the monorail pretty much every day, multiple times a day. My experience with the new security setup coming from these two monorail resorts was phenomenal - very smooth and effecient.

MK opened at 9AM every day of my trip (except the day we left which had 7AM EMHs). The new security procedures combined with the new MK opening setup have totally changed the morning flow into the MK for the better. I used to DREAD going to the MK in the AM if I was too close to rope drop or in that first hour after opening. It is now totally different, we could "pop over" at will anytime in the morning without much worry.

Two thumbs up from this family. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Question - are Disney metal detectors like the airport in that ANY metal must be removed? I was at an MLB game earlier this week and we could leave on jewelry, belts, etc. Only large pieces of metal had to be removed. (Interestingly enough, this particular stadium has banned backpacks, but still allows tote bags, cinch bags, etc.)
you don't have to take off your belt BUT I have worn the same pair of jeans on the same day, done some park hopping where the metal detector would go off in one park because of my pants buckle and not in another. You step forward and they wand you

If bad people want to do bad things, they will no matter what screening is put in place. Screening makes people feel safer which keeps them coming to Disney, plus Disney tried it's best should anything bad happen.

:earsboy: Bill
In a nutshell. 100% agree.

Coins or keys in your pocket will set off the detectors. A watch or jewelry won't. A belt buckle will. They will wand you if you set off the detectors until they find what is causing it.

...which is exactly why my personal thoughts about these changes are that they are a bunch of theater hullabaloo. While I won't call Disney security "a joke", with absolutely no disrespect intended, I do look at Disney bagcheckers a bit like I look at mall security. I think they are there to make it "feel" like things are safe, but without enough actual power, oversight, numbers, or possibly training, to really do much to improve safety. They are employed to perform a function that does provide utility, and they often do their job really well within the constraints they have, but I think that this role is not one that is really setup to succeed or bring the actual risk percentage down too terribly much. I would expect that the undercover, back-office security actually do have a much greater impact for overall guest safety, though (and I assume that that's the intent of the company as well).

It seems to me that bagcheckers would be successful at catching the stupidest, brazen criminals who throw weapons into their bags (but how often does this happen, I wonder?), hoping not to be discovered, but I have little doubt that someone with evil, premeditated intent could very easily find ways around what we go through when we try to get into a park or monorail.

Personally, I don't think that bag checking is run tightly enough to ever really be actually effective at making anything that much safer, but Disney knows that there are a lot more people who are okay living in fear than people who would boycott the company because they have to go through extra bag checks or metal detectors.

Better security would require x-ray machines for all, elimination of a no-bags entrance, required pat-downs, more manned security outposts/gates, and vehicle searches like they do at military bases and national cemetaries. Without these precautions in place at all four parks, waterparks, resorts, and Disney Springs, there's really no sound reason to actually believe that you are all that safer on Disney property than you were before bag checks were first instituted.

For me, I would prefer the metal detectors and bag checks go away so that we can go back to a simple vacation removed from the stresses of national and world news, but the reality is that the security theater probably keeps out some of the idiot criminals and definitely puts a lot more people at ease than those who feel overburdened by it. I would not expect the current trend, therefore, to reverse course.

I agree that bag check is security theater and there are probably other measures in place actually keeping us safe. That's what I meant when I said the security was a joke, should have specified bag check is a joke or "security theater". While x-ray machines would help I know I've accidentally gotten mace through TSA so not sure how much that really helps in the end beyond catching firearms.

Last edited:
I'm SO TIRED of the term "security theater". Overused much? I'm also tired of armchair quarterbacks. Disney is not in the business of throwing away money. Nor are they in the business of not keeping their guests safe, even if only for publicity and lawsuit concerns. Maybe, for once, let's assume that they are experts at what they do, and they have access to ALL of the information. Perhaps I'm weary of this same issue playing out in politics, but for the love, can some of us acknowledge that we don't know everything? It's really easy to pretend we would know how to run things when we are not actually in charge.

Disney doesn't throw away money..that's for sure! One incident would have a huge impact on the bottom line.
My guess is the change is due to new sensor technology. Sensors might perform better scanning in a less congested area. disney was recently granted a patent for feet scanning biometrics. It probobly works better due to scanning at one (ground) level.

How are the bus lines into the MK doing since this change? Given that they are separating out everyone from the TTC I would hope they are at least somewhat improved?

Just got back from MK. Arrived by bus from Wilderness Lodge around noon this is the pic of the bag check, took only a minute to go through
17759950_10212771631511412_1432391332272330036_n.jpg

here's the Contempo walkway check, after you cross the street it's right there
17884071_10212771631271406_5665813528969464496_n.jpg

A friend of mine is staying at the Contemporary and told me this morning's bag check at the monorail was smooth and fast

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter