New Security Measures for MK Guests; UPDATES: Page 12 - Post 222; Live Reports - Pgs. 18-20

LOL... That may have been the case but they just replaced the gun with a wand, so bubbles aren't gone

I know, and let me tell you - those bubbles are single handedly out to get my pressed clothes and those of anyone in my party. Nothing like bubble prints on a cotton broadcloth/linen dress you starched in a hotel room, after having it dry cleaned at home, because you're nuts. Even better when you can't get those little rings out after washing. I'm certain bubbles, not the FBI are out to get me:)

If you can't laugh at yourself...and I provide lots of opportunities.

Most of them do and I am sure they all will soon enough.

Yep - all PSL holders here in Nashville have gotten the clear bags at least a couple of times I believe. The NHL also has some restrictions on bags, I just don't know what they are exactly.

Our experiences are with NFL stadiums (NFL made the clear bag rule league wide) and SEC stadiums. I believe the SEC also made a similar rule but not positive. They are becoming very common place in sporting venues. Our season ticket office even sent out free clear bags to us. Though I do as I do at Disney, I go bagless. Just so much easier but I don't have a little one either
While true the screening procedure at Disney and stadiums is very similar.

One thing that bothers me after reading all of these posts is the inconsistency with Disney security. Posters have indicated CMs ranging from overly strict, to overly permissive. If they are going to take security checks seriously, should they not insist that all security CMs be on the same page? The bag/cooler/stroller searches should never be 'hit or miss'; every CM should be following the same procedure. If they are not, then what's the point? Fingers crossed that with time, they will eventually figure it all out, but let's face it, with a property the size of Disney, even with the most intense security, anything could happen. Locations away from the parks could also be potential targets. We usually stay on Disney property, but at SOG. We noticed during our last stay they had significantly stepped up security at this resort. Our world will never be the same; no matter where we travel to, or where we live, security on some level will always be a part of our lives.
Just have a good sense of awareness, and enjoy your vacation.

I know LSU has a clear bag policy in place for all athletic venues but I think the SEC only has the mandate in place for football games

One thing that bothers me after reading all of these posts is the inconsistency with Disney security. Posters have indicated CMs ranging from overly strict, to overly permissive. If they are going to take security checks seriously, should they not insist that all security CMs be on the same page? The bag/cooler/stroller searches should never be 'hit or miss'; every CM should be following the same procedure. If they are not, then what's the point? Fingers crossed that with time, they will eventually figure it all out, but let's face it, with a property the size of Disney, even with the most intense security, anything could happen. Locations away from the parks could also be potential targets. We usually stay on Disney property, but at SOG. We noticed during our last stay they had significantly stepped up security at this resort. Our world will never be the same; no matter where we travel to, or where we live, security on some level will always be a part of our lives.
Would be nice. If you can figure out how to do that please let TSA know while you let Disney know.
You can never remove human nature from an activity done by humans. Some are going to be more strict, some less. Nothing is going to change that

Our experiences are with NFL stadiums (NFL made the clear bag rule league wide) and SEC stadiums. I believe the SEC also made a similar rule but not positive. They are becoming very common place in sporting venues. Our season ticket office even sent out free clear bags to us. Though I do as I do at Disney, I go bagless. Just so much easier but I don't have a little one either

I am an LSU season ticket holder. Clear bag policy for all events now. I snagged a clutch that is just the size they let through without being clear. Drives me crazy.

There are inconsistencies with every security policy. I had gone to 4 countries and 14 domestic flights with a small bottle of jack (like a flask size, not sure what that is), lotion and another liquid outside of the guidelines (maybe my ex's hair gel?) - anyway 3 things in absolute violation. They were in a front pocket I never used of a GREAT backpack in which I can haul my work and personal laptop. The ex used it when we were in Ireland and I never knew it was there. I was past security in Atlanta looking for something when I discovered the contraband. How did that happen? I don't know, but it did. I wonder how much of even TSA security is theater, or how much they just don't care if you're Pre-Check/Clear? I wonder about this at WDW too. And concerts, god!

BTW, if you need a great backpack - Everki is the best non major hiking I've ever had.

OTOH, many times I've been in a line moving quickly because the officer does a quick look inside and then a pat down of a bag - and just before I get there, that officer is relieved by one who looks deeply and thoroughly in every nook and cranny! And I think maybe the inconsistency is actually of value - someone with evil intent has no way of knowing whether they'll practically be waved through after just a cursory check, or have to take every jacket, blanket and toy out of the stroller!

I can't seem to figure out how to quote several people in one post, so forgive if my comments seems disjointed.

No bags and security-----My DH and I ( age 72 & 61) go bagless 90% of the time. In the last year, being able to just walk through, about 20 %.

Two searches to get from monorail resorts to Epcot ----yes please fix this. Not so much for us, but for the trips with the grandkids and strollers. Setting up security closer to buses at Epcot seems like a new brainer.

Want security to go faster, one day disney may ban all bags, then the real outcry will occur. As I said for DH and I , mainly no bags. Grandkids,we have the stroller stocked with drinks, snacks, diapers, wipes, extra clothes, jackets, etc.
I know you said you were going to the extreme but I highly doubt Disney would go "no bags". Good lord they get over 50 million people a year in their WDW parks alone..

I cannot even imagine what attendance would be like if they told people no bags at all. And what a nightmare trying to set up the parameters for exceptions to the rule (such as would a women's wallet with a strap on it count as a bag, those who need a bag for medical reasons or for children etc) and dealing with actually speaking with each and every guest as to if they qualify for the exceptions or not.

To quantify that, as the discussion turned to sporting events,NFL with all their games (home and away) and all their stadiums combined had a total attendance of over 17.5 million in 2015 whereas WDW alone had over 54 million. I'm not going to go hunting for the 2016 numbers for NFL and WDW but suffice to say they are still vastly different in numbers when comparing the two.

Thank you very much @yulilin3! Your info and pics were really helpful!
Staying at the Poly in June and not super pleased about having to go through security twice to get to Epcot. I really hope they somehow change/fix that before my trip!

WELL .... just home with MK visits post security changes.

3 visits to MK; once in morning, once in afternoon and once in evening before Wishes.
All agreed .... via the Bus Depots ... joke.
There is nothing whatsoever secure about this.
Large number of tables, not all being used.
Only 5 metal detectors.

Biggest fail .....
ALL NON-BAG guests were waived direct to park.
NOT ONE in all three visits saw a metal detector.
We were all shocked.
Happened all three visits and three different time frames.
Lines were still at the ticket scanning point.
Some congestion was still happening in the plaza.
Once again your bag search varied greatly by CM.
Once again never saw one stroller searched at MK.

To compare:

Epcot, everyone went through the metal detectors.
Saw a variety of bag search methods.
Saw my first stroller search, pat down.

DHS, more in line with MK.
ALL NON-BAG guests were walked directly to park.
No metal detectors and no real observation by security.
It was kinda disconcerting.

Unless at the very least they are putting everyone through
the detector I don't think we are any safer ... and I think
anyone who makes slight observations will see holes. :worried:

I find it truly disconcerting that they are not just having everyone go through metal detectors (it should not be that much of an issue to get enough of them to screen people quickly). It would be easy for someone to conceal carry and bring a weapon in. Disney security is a joke and is not making any of us safer.

I find it truly disconcerting that they are not just having everyone go through metal detectors (it should not be that much of an issue to get enough of them to screen people quickly). It would be easy for someone to conceal carry and bring a weapon in. Disney security is a joke and is not making any of us safer.

...which is exactly why my personal thoughts about these changes are that they are a bunch of theater hullabaloo. While I won't call Disney security "a joke", with absolutely no disrespect intended, I do look at Disney bagcheckers a bit like I look at mall security. I think they are there to make it "feel" like things are safe, but without enough actual power, oversight, numbers, or possibly training, to really do much to improve safety. They are employed to perform a function that does provide utility, and they often do their job really well within the constraints they have, but I think that this role is not one that is really setup to succeed or bring the actual risk percentage down too terribly much. I would expect that the undercover, back-office security actually do have a much greater impact for overall guest safety, though (and I assume that that's the intent of the company as well).

It seems to me that bagcheckers would be successful at catching the stupidest, brazen criminals who throw weapons into their bags (but how often does this happen, I wonder?), hoping not to be discovered, but I have little doubt that someone with evil, premeditated intent could very easily find ways around what we go through when we try to get into a park or monorail.

Personally, I don't think that bag checking is run tightly enough to ever really be actually effective at making anything that much safer, but Disney knows that there are a lot more people who are okay living in fear than people who would boycott the company because they have to go through extra bag checks or metal detectors.

Better security would require x-ray machines for all, elimination of a no-bags entrance, required pat-downs, more manned security outposts/gates, and vehicle searches like they do at military bases and national cemetaries. Without these precautions in place at all four parks, waterparks, resorts, and Disney Springs, there's really no sound reason to actually believe that you are all that safer on Disney property than you were before bag checks were first instituted.

For me, I would prefer the metal detectors and bag checks go away so that we can go back to a simple vacation removed from the stresses of national and world news, but the reality is that the security theater probably keeps out some of the idiot criminals and definitely puts a lot more people at ease than those who feel overburdened by it. I would not expect the current trend, therefore, to reverse course.

I would not be surprised to see the "no bag" entrance eliminated. If the people with bags have to empty pockets to go through metal detectors, then I would think that people who are potentially carrying more items in pockets to avoid carrying a bag should as well. I could see this happening way before I could see bag restrictions because there wouldn't need to be a big change in procedures or infrastructure to just route everyone through the same place. This is already happening at IG, because of the configuration of the security checkpoint. There's no way for a no bag person to get through there without going through the metal detectors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter