New Seating Arrangements at Counter Service

There were no tables left, but a man was holding 2 tables for his family.
Well he was there before we came and was still there when we were leaving, but his family wasn't.

This is the type of rude, inconsiderate people that caused the rule in the first place.

This is the type of rude, inconsiderate people that caused the rule in the first place.
While on paper that would seem rude, if the Cast Members weren't enforcing the no saving tables rule then he did nothing wrong. So I guess WDW's only option is to enforce this rule everyday of the year, however they are choosing not to do that and in those times people will still be saving tables.

While on paper that would seem rude, if the Cast Members weren't enforcing the no saving tables rule then he did nothing wrong. So I guess WDW's only option is to enforce this rule everyday of the year, however they are choosing not to do that and in those times people will still be saving tables.

In practice it's rude as well.

Being rude and inconsiderate has nothing to do with rules.

Obviously, when a place is crowded he was being rude and inconsiderate, If the place is half empty it's not.

I have children, we eat a lot of counter service, and I am in favor or this policy - somewhat. I think it needs to be tweaked a little bit. But, I like the general idea.

Back on the seats. Who cares. You are there to eat, not take a nap and relax. It provides a place to eat a quick meal, which is what CS meals are intended to be. If you want to sit and visit for an hour, go to a TS meal. I get the whole idea of having those stools instead of chairs makes for more room. As long as they are sturdy stools, great. If they would have started with stools instead of chairs, no one would have cared.

The whole family waiting in line. This is the part that needs to be fixed. If your kids need to calm down before eating, make them sit on a park bench outside first. But, otherwise, there is no reason that they can't be expected to not sit down until it's time to eat. Do you have your kids come to the table at home and sit down ten minutes before you eat just to calm them down? But, I've stood in the CS lines many times, and they are small and congested. Why not allow only one person and have a spot for other people to stand.

I think the whole idea of the plan is to have people sitting at tables long enough to eat and move on. By trying this idea out, they eliminate the people saving tables, sitting down for a break and just relaxing, taking more time at the tables than the meal takes, and something I've yet to hear mentioned - people who aren't eating food from the restaurant, but instead eating their own that they've brought in.

If they had instituted this rule at Earl of Sandwich before PC 1.0 we could not of had the podcast meet at Earl. All of us at the meet are guilty of saving tables. I think most of us ate but not at the same time. Could you imagine if we all had to wait for everyone to show up and then order at the same time! :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: It wasn't busy so it was not a big deal.

Overall, I think that this new rule isn't best thing in the world. But it isn't the worst thing in the world.

When it comes down to it, Disney is introducing the Table Police. Deciding who can sit, when they can sit, and how long they can sit. And this is going to make those sitting upset. And those waiting for a seat happy.

What if I am not eating, I just need a break and want to watch the Cosmic Rays show? Am I not allow to sit? What if I brought my own lunch? Am I not allow to sit? What if I finished my food, threw it away, but want to sit more? Will I be forced to go?

What ever happened to first come, first serve?

But when it is really that busy, noon at Christmas, there is nothing Disney can do. It is so busy that even with this plan, there will be people waiting for seats.

If your kids need to calm down before eating, make them sit on a park bench outside first. But, otherwise, there is no reason that they can't be expected to not sit down until it's time to eat. Do you have your kids come to the table at home and sit down ten minutes before you eat just to calm them down?

There's a huge difference between being at home and having a regular dinner routine that the kids know and expect and being at a hot, crowded, over-stimulating theme park for the whole day.

Being able to grab a table, sitting the kids down, letting them chill and get into the "we're eating now" mode, is so important and much less stressful on everyone than having them wait in a long CS food line. That's just a melt down waiting to happen.

I think the Disney folks who came up with this new seating concept must not have kids.

What if I am not eating, I just need a break and want to watch the Cosmic Rays show? Am I not allow to sit? What if I brought my own lunch? Am I not allow to sit? What if I finished my food, threw it away, but want to sit more? Will I be forced to go?

What ever happened to first come, first serve?

Maybe I'm the bad guy here but in those situations above in my opinion.....I don't think you should be allowed to sit.

Cosmic Ray's is not an attraction. Is the show entertaining...yes, but that show is for the patrons of the restaurant. If the place was half empty, sit there and enjoy it all you want. If people are walking around with food trying to find a place to sit I think common sense should prevail and that seat should be given to those who need it.

If someone was to bring their own lunch there are plenty of benches around the park. Is it hot and humid outside, absolutely. You can't walk into your local restaurant (counter service or otherwise) and occupy their tables without being expected to fork over some cash for their product.

I think the way they're trying to do it now is a first come first serve situation. Just because someone is the first to sit at a table did not mean they were the first in the restaurant. A counter service restaurant is almost the literal definition of first come first serve.

I can't figure out why I have such a strong opinion on this subject. I guess it's something that's always bothered me. Honestly, we have saved tables in the past but only because there was no alternative and our DS had some issues that warranted it. Unfortunately there was no GAC for the restaurants. I can honestly say though that I hated having to do it. I never thought it was fair.

Maybe I'm the bad guy here but in those situations above in my opinion.....I don't think you should be allowed to sit.

Cosmic Ray's is not an attraction. Is the show entertaining...yes, but that show is for the patrons of the restaurant. If the place was half empty, sit there and enjoy it all you want. If people are walking around with food trying to find a place to sit I think common sense should prevail and that seat should be given to those who need it.

If someone was to bring their own lunch there are plenty of benches around the park. Is it hot and humid outside, absolutely. You can't walk into your local restaurant (counter service or otherwise) and occupy their tables without being expected to fork over some cash for their product.

I think the way they're trying to do it now is a first come first serve situation. Just because someone is the first to sit at a table did not mean they were the first in the restaurant. A counter service restaurant is almost the literal definition of first come first serve.

I can't figure out why I have such a strong opinion on this subject. I guess it's something that's always bothered me. Honestly, we have saved tables in the past but only because there was no alternative and our DS had some issues that warranted it. Unfortunately there was no GAC for the restaurants. I can honestly say though that I hated having to do it. I never thought it was fair.

I don't pay 80 bucks to get into my local restaurant. If I'm not eating CS I'm not allowed to sit inside for a break??

I don't pay 80 bucks to get into my local restaurant. If I'm not eating CS I'm not allowed to sit inside for a break??

If the restaurant isn't full or terribly busy....sit there as long as you want. I just think if people that have purchased a meal and are searching for seating should have priority. Like I said, I haven't experienced it yet and am not sure how they'll be working the non-peak times so I can't really comment on that.

I understand it costs $80 to get in the park, but if you also just put out another $50-60 for your family to eat hamburgers and chicken nuggets in that location you should get priority.

If they had instituted this rule at Earl of Sandwich before PC 1.0 we could not of had the podcast meet at Earl. All of us at the meet are guilty of saving tables. I think most of us ate but not at the same time. Could you imagine if we all had to wait for everyone to show up and then order at the same time! :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: It wasn't busy so it was not a big deal.

No, because we are special and we can do whatever we want, right :) You are right, and we didn't even eat there. I think ours was a rare happening, though.

The most insane idea ever. If they think for one second I'm not scouting for a table and sitting with my 3 small kids while my husband gets in line and orders our food, they've got another thing coming.

Sorry Disney, deal with it. If you won't allow me to bring in my stroller, and you expect me to to stand in line and hold an infant and carry a tray of food you are STUPID!

Well obviously those who travel alone don't have someone else to save them a table, so I guess their only option is eat at an earlier time when tables won't be hard to get. However those who travel with a few people all have the same chance to save a table and if they choose not to well I don't feel sorry for them. Just because my family and I were smart enough to save one before ordering we should not feel guilty, because those same people had a chance to save a table and did not.

Not to change the subjuect... but I Lovved Toronto!! My b/f took me to the Hilton downtown for my birthday!! 25th floor, what a view!!! We did soo much & I had to say I love ur city & after Disney World I'm def. going back up for the weekend!!

The most insane idea ever. If they think for one second I'm not scouting for a table and sitting with my 3 small kids while my husband gets in line and orders our food, they've got another thing coming.

Sorry Disney, deal with it. If you won't allow me to bring in my stroller, and you expect me to to stand in line and hold an infant and carry a tray of food you are STUPID!

:worship:

Go ahead, Jen, tell us how you really feel about this :)

I guess WDW's only option is to enforce this rule everyday of the year

Well, if the plan is to deal with congested restaurants then they only need to enforce the policy at peak times. It is like changing the ways traffic is routed during rush hour. There are a lot of places that don't allow left turns or turns on red during rush hour but allow them at different times. Same goes with HOV lanes.

The policy is no big deal. The vast majority of guests will either not notice it because they go rarely or won't care. The vocal minority will moan but in the end it just means waiting in line before you sit. In the grand scheme of life this doesn't even really register.

Well, if the plan is to deal with congested restaurants then they only need to enforce the policy at peak times. It is like changing the ways traffic is routed during rush hour. There are a lot of places that don't allow left turns or turns on red during rush hour but allow them at different times. Same goes with HOV lanes.

The policy is no big deal. The vast majority of guests will either not notice it because they go rarely or won't care. The vocal minority will moan but in the end it just means waiting in line before you sit. In the grand scheme of life this doesn't even really register.
You make some good points because there are worse things in life to worry about. It's just that even before this new policy was announced in the past when this topic was brought up on the dining board it got very heated, with those who don't see a problem with it and those who are against saving tables. So I thought those who are for this new rule might be upset it's not being enforced 365 days a year, because in the times it won't be I am sure there will be others who save tables. Then that means we might see more threads about guest saving tables, even though the Cast Members were not enforcing the new rule.

You make some good points because there are worse things in life to worry about. It's just that even before this new policy was announced in the past when this topic was brought up on the dining board it got very heated, with those who don't see a problem with it and those who are against saving tables. So I thought those who are for this new rule might be upset it's not being enforced 365 days a year, because in the times it won't be I am sure there will be others who save tables. Then that means we might see more threads about guest saving tables, even though the Cast Members were not enforcing the new rule.

Yeah, I am pretty agnostic about the policy. I could take it or leave it. Some of the arguments on either side are a bit over the top. On one hand it is nice to save the seats for people who already have food but at the same time if the place is crowded I either walk and eat if I can or find a table with a bunch of open seats and ask if I can join (I'm not all that shy), I don't curl up in the fetal position and cry. I don't buy the argument that the new policy is anti child and didn't think the old policy was anti solo traveler. Waiting in line is not fun for anyone regardless of age but it is part of life. If the kids can stand in line for 2 hours to ride Peter Pan they can take the 10-20 minute wait for a crappy burger or something that might have once been a chicken.

Whenever there is a policy change like this the conspiracy theories come out. Because the policy changed to this it is the "Disney must hate your kids" conspiracy. If the policy was changed in the reverse it would have been the "Disney hates the people without kids" conspiracy. It just is what it is.

Yeah, I am pretty agnostic about the policy. I could take it or leave it. Some of the arguments on either side are a bit over the top. On one hand it is nice to save the seats for people who already have food but at the same time if the place is crowded I either walk and eat if I can or find a table with a bunch of open seats and ask if I can join (I'm not all that shy), I don't curl up in the fetal position and cry. I don't buy the argument that the new policy is anti child and didn't think the old policy was anti solo traveler. Waiting in line is not fun for anyone regardless of age but it is part of life. If the kids can stand in line for 2 hours to ride Peter Pan they can take the 10-20 minute wait for a crappy burger or something that might have once been a chicken.

Whenever there is a policy change like this the conspiracy theories come out. Because the policy changed to this it is the "Disney must hate your kids" conspiracy. If the policy was changed in the reverse it would have been the "Disney hates the people without kids" conspiracy. It just is what it is.

This basically sums me up as well. It is what it is. I can see why Disney made the decision and I can see why people tend to be upset. Like many have said, in the grand scheme of things, it's not a huge deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter