New "Membership Options" (formerly AP) Discussion Thread

DLgal

DIS Veteran
Okay guys, let's start speculating about what the new program will look like!

Any guesses are fair game.

My prediction is that the use of the term "membership" is very specific and also a clue. I think this will be a "pay per month" program with different levels of access based on price paid. I expect them to sell these memberships month to month (highest cost) and on maybe 3 and 6 month blocks. I think they will do it this way because it will be far easier to raise prices incrementally while getting that extra money immediately.

I think access will depend on what level you purchase. I think reservations will be required for lower level memberships, and I think there will be one "premium" option that does not require reservations and has no limits on the number of visits monthly.

I see the days of "annual" passes being gone forever. Having monthly subscription options will allow them to change terms and conditions pretty much at will.

1) Reservation system for all passes

2) Multiple tiers:
Highest (gold): 6 months advance, 10 at a time. Great number of “good to go” Green days (no reservations on those days)
Mid-tier (silver): 3 months advance, 5 at a time. Medium number of green days.
Lower tier (bronze): 2 months advance, 2 at a time. Lowest number of green days.

3) On-site guests (GCH/DVC, DLH/future DVC, PPH) who hold passes will *not* get automatic entry.

3a) Christmas holidays will be blacked out for all passes, but said on-site guests willbe guaranteed the ability to buy tickets.

4) Return of the blackout ticket (?! hey we’re having fun, right?)

5) Discount on Disney+ (gotta drive that streaming revenue)

I'd be shocked to see that happen. Giving automatic entry is the surest way to continue to sell out those 3 properties at top dollar every night.
I agree. This will be marketed as a "perk" of staying on site.

oh I think they’ll get access to the park, just not through their future AP. Like, if they’re blacked out or did not get a reservation, a stay at DLH will not remediate that.

But at least they would not be subject to a future ticketing reservation system. That would be the “perk.”

I’m of the option that, whatever else the membership program has, there will always be a top tier option that includes: unlimited visits, no reservation, parking, & MaxPass. The cost may be high, but there are people who are willing to pay for that convenience.

I'd be shocked to see that happen. Giving automatic entry is the surest way to continue to sell out those 3 properties at top dollar every night.

They're already doing this in Florida... you MUST have a park reservation also... but then there are WAY more resorts in Florida for far less per night. Its enough that I wouldnt say no way they'll never do that, but I also feel its very unlikely.

From the Los Angeles Times:

Disneyland killed its annual pass program. Why, and what comes next?
By HUGO MARTÍN, TODD MARTENS
January 16, 2021 5am

For Disney, ending the annual pass program might be “a blessing in disguise,” a theme park expert says: Now the company can revamp the program to boost profits.

When the Disneyland annual pass debuted in 1984, it sold for only $65. Things were different then: Splash Mountain didn't exist yet. Star Tours didn't either. And the park was closed most Mondays and Tuesdays except during the summer.

In the 37 years since, the annual pass program has been expanded, modified and adjusted repeatedly, with various tiers and blocked-out days, as the attendance has soared and Walt Disney Co. has worked to continue the offering without hitting its capacity limit too often.

Then, this week, it ended. Ten months after Disneyland and the adjacent Disney California Adventure Park closed because of the still-raging COVID-19 pandemic, Disney pulled the plug on the program. Executives promise there will be alternative offerings in the future, but they haven't yet offered details.

After the pandemic has eased enough for the Anaheim parks to reopen, theme park experts predict, the pass program will return in some form, with a fresh overhaul to address the park's stubborn crowding problem and to maximize profit.

What will happen to people who had annual passes?

People who paid for annual passes that lasted beyond the parks’ closure in March are to receive automatic refunds for the days the parks were shut. Holders of passes that were active after the parks closed will continue to receive food and beverage discounts at the Downtown Disney restaurant and shopping district adjacent to the Anaheim parks and at California Adventure’s Buena Vista Street.

In addition, current passholders will get a 30% discount on select merchandise from certain stores on Mondays through Thursdays through Feb. 25.

Why would Disney end the program?

Although Disney does not release attendance figures, a report by the engineering firm AECOM estimates that in 2019, Disneyland and Disney California Adventure Park had a combined total of 28.4 million visitors. The number of people who hold annual passes has long been believed to hover around 1 million.

The annual pass program was likely profitable, but passholders have tended to be Southern California residents who visit frequently — as often as weekly or even daily — and spend less per visit on food and souvenirs than tourists do.

Disneyland and Disney California Adventure Park appreciate modest-spending visitors when they have not reached capacity, especially on low-demand days such as the middle of the week or in the fall after children return to school. But now that the parks have been nearing or reaching capacity on a regular basis, Disney would rather have the parks' limited space filled by high-spending out-of-town visitors, theme park experts say.

"On a per-visit basis, the annual pass holders don’t make a lot of money for the park," said John Gerner, a theme park expert and managing director of Leisure Business Advisors. "When they had excess capacity it made sense. Now they don’t have that capacity.”

Ending the annual pass program now lets Disney executives revamp the program to boost profits, he said.

For Disney, Gerner said, "it is possible that this is a blessing in disguise."

Will the annual pass program's replacement offer options for budget-minded Disney fans?

To cut down on crowding, Disney adopted a new pricing policy at Disneyland and other U.S. theme parks in 2016 that reduced the prices of tickets for low-demand days and raised them for more popular times. Known as dynamic pricing, such systems had already been in use at venues such as movie theaters and sports arenas.

Three years later, the Disneyland Resort introduced the Flex Pass, a lower-cost annual pass that let parkgoers visit with no restrictions on most Mondays through Thursdays, when demand is usually low. But on most weekends and during the high-demand summer months, Flex Pass holders would have to make reservations before showing up at the parks.

Theme park experts predict Disney's future programs will continue to rely on dynamic pricing to offer an incentive for locals to visit on slow days, thus spreading the crowds more evenly throughout the year.

"Whether we want it or not, dynamic pricing is coming to the industry,” said Dennis Speigel, chief executive of International Theme Park Services.

When announcing the end of the annual pass program, Disneyland Resort President Ken Potrock hinted that the replacement would offer a variety of price levels.

"I think we're going to look at all those different — I'll use a marketing term — 'buckets' of consumers, understanding what they want and build a program around it so that we can affectively spread the attendance in a way that allows us to optimize what we have available, and satisfy the largest number of people in the way they want to be satisfied," he said.

Will the replacement program be more expensive?

The Disneyland annual pass program had six options. The highest tier: A $2,199 pass that offered access to the Disney parks in Anaheim and in Orlando, Fla., without blocking any dates.

Industry experts predict Disney will relaunch the annual pass program with even more options to try to cater to as many fans as possible, including those who are willing to pay top dollar for maximum flexibility.

Martin Lewison, a professor of business management at Farmingdale State College in New York, noted that the Disney parks have been raising prices regularly for several years without seeing attendance numbers diminish. That suggests they can charge even higher prices without losing demand, he said.

"When you are raising prices and demand is not falling, that means you are leaving money on the table," he said.

Once the pandemic is under control, he said, demand will be extremely high, giving Disney a green light to charge much more.

"Because people aren't traveling, the vacation piggy bank is swelling up, and Disney wants to take its share of the piggy bank," Lewison said.

Potrock said the shape of the replacement program will be guided by suggestions from guests, annual pass holders and fans, among others.

"That guidance is going to help us create a program for the future. And that's a big deal," he said. "We're relying on a current program created with our new normal in mind."

How soon might Disney launch the replacement program?

When Disneyland and Disney California Adventure Park reopen depends on the ability of Orange County residents to slow the spread of the coronavirus and on the speed of vaccine distribution.

But even after COVID-19 vaccinations have been widely distributed and the virus case numbers diminish, the theme parks probably won't launch an annual pass program right away, industry experts expect. That's because single-day tickets generate more revenue per visit and help the parks control how many people enter.

If demand for the parks remains high after the pandemic is quelled, Disney is likely to take advantage of that surge by putting off the launch of an annual pass program as long as possible, Gerner said: "My gut feeling would be that even next year is probably questionable.”

If demand for the parks remains high after the pandemic is quelled, Disney is likely to take advantage of that surge by putting off the launch of an annual pass program as long as possible, Gerner said: "My gut feeling would be that even next year is probably questionable.”
tenor.gif

It's funny how several months ago, people were feeling sorry for Disney, and all the money they were not getting due to the parks being closed.

Well, now it's time to pay up. That was some cheerful L.A. Times article. Higher prices, more restrictions, for a watered down product.

I'll wait along with everyone else, to see what comes down the pike. But if it involves a brand new commitment, with much less value, I may wait it out until 2022. It may take at least that long before things are close to what they were prior to the pandemic.

I think it will be more of a points type system. Higher more expensive tiers get more points. Lower, less expensive tiers get less points.

Parks are more points on days they expect higher crowds and less points on days they expect lower crowds. You only get so many points per year. And obviously I think the reservation system is here to stay.

Also curious if you will have to buy in, then pay dues yearly. Kinda like club 33. But in any case, it will be interesting to see what happens.

I’m just happy they announced that eventually, there will be some kind of program. I fully expected them to never bring back the AP. So that was the good I took from all of this. ☺️

I would love to see a 10 entry days per year membership pass. The day rate makes a short trip costly and most people I travel with do not need/want more then 3 days at DL so I can't take advantage of a 5 day ticket. Haha.

I would love to travel as a second set of hands for my sister's family to help wrangle little kids, make a couples trip in May, visit for a Halloween party, and then return for short trip at Christmas. Just popping in when airfare or time off work makes it feasible and I have enough notice to get a park reservation.

I wonder if they will do # of days memberships. Let's say 10, 20, 50 and possibly a 100. I wonder how locals would feel about something like that.

Last edited:
I would love to see a 10 entry days per year membership pass. The day rate makes a short trip costly and most people I travel with do not need/want more then 3 days at DL so I can't take advantage of a 5 day ticket. Haha.

I wonder if they will do # of days memberships. Let's say 10, 20, 50 and possibly a 100. I wonder how locals would feel about something like that.

I'm sure that would work for some, but it definitely wouldn't for me. I was on pace for roughly 40-50 visits on my Flex Pass. I sincerely doubt that if they offered a 40 visit pass, it would be $649, which was the most recent Flex Pass price.

There were only a couple of visits where I stayed the entire day and into the night. Usually I was in the park for between 5 & 9 hours. It took the Flex Pass to get me interested again, after a 7 year lapse. I was in, without question, and probably would have renewed. Now I honestly don't know whether I'll get whatever they decide to offer, so I'll wait and see, like everyone else.

I think @crystal1313 is onto something with that "points" idea. They could offer different membership tiers that come with increasing numbers of points plus the ability to buy more points if needed. Each day will have a point value; reserving in advance would either cost fewer points or they could say "drop in without a reservation for 10% more points". Disney could cross-market it with many other programs (e.g. D23, Disney+, Disney Movie Rewards, Disney Visa cardholder, DVC, etc.) either providing bonus points or the ability to transfer points from one program to another.

Club 33 members would probably be at the top of the points totem pole, perhaps even having "unlimited" points to visit whenever they want. At the bottom end, I could see them eliminating one-day tickets (in name) but selling "bronze membership" or something with just enough points for a one-day visit... which they could then use to send out constant "upgrade to a silver membership and get 50 points free" offers, etc. They could offer hotel packages that include bonus points at booking, or bonus points for upgrading to club level, etc.

Heck, they could even turn this into a de facto "frequent Disney" program by offering tier upgrades or bonus points for repeated stays. Take a Disney cruise? Here are some points. Book with Adventures by Disney? Here are some points. Go see a movie at the El Capitan on opening night? Here are some points. Disney could use it as a masterful way to encourage behavior that maximizes revenue across the company, with the reward being something that doesn't really cost the company anything at all. But we all know lots and lots of people would be competing to see who could earn the most points, who got upgraded to the "magical platinum plus" tier, etc.

I think @crystal1313 is onto something with that "points" idea. They could offer different membership tiers that come with increasing numbers of points plus the ability to buy more points if needed. Each day will have a point value; reserving in advance would either cost fewer points or they could say "drop in without a reservation for 10% more points". Disney could cross-market it with many other programs (e.g. D23, Disney+, Disney Movie Rewards, Disney Visa cardholder, DVC, etc.) either providing bonus points or the ability to transfer points from one program to another.

Club 33 members would probably be at the top of the points totem pole, perhaps even having "unlimited" points to visit whenever they want. At the bottom end, I could see them eliminating one-day tickets (in name) but selling "bronze membership" or something with just enough points for a one-day visit... which they could then use to send out constant "upgrade to a silver membership and get 50 points free" offers, etc. They could offer hotel packages that include bonus points at booking, or bonus points for upgrading to club level, etc.

Heck, they could even turn this into a de facto "frequent Disney" program by offering tier upgrades or bonus points for repeated stays. Take a Disney cruise? Here are some points. Book with Adventures by Disney? Here are some points. Go see a movie at the El Capitan on opening night? Here are some points. Disney could use it as a masterful way to encourage behavior that maximizes revenue across the company, with the reward being something that doesn't really cost the company anything at all. But we all know lots and lots of people would be competing to see who could earn the most points, who got upgraded to the "magical platinum plus" tier, etc.

Too complicated. Remember people still haven't figured out how Fastpass works.

Great ideas!! Would love to get some kind of benefit for staying onsite. That would be amazing!

Too complicated. Remember people still haven't figured out how Fastpass works.

I agree, way too complicated. People have a hard time with fast pass and even just buying day tickets online.

I do think they’ll go to some sort of reservation system, but I’m fine with that as long as you can reserve a few days at a time.

I would love to see a 10 entry days per year membership pass.
I would like to see this. When the 10 days are used, people can buy another one. I'm not really sure that I even visit that many days in a year. It always looks like I visit dozens of times, but they count each time I go through a turnstile, which is usually 4 times per day visit for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter