New member....question on 2021 dues

BugByte

Earning My Ears
My first DVC contract has passed ROFR and I am waiting to go through the closing process. Based on what I've read this may not be complete with points loaded until November or December.

My question is with me potentially cutting it so close to the end of the year before I'm actually "in the club", how will I get notified by Disney of my 2021 annual dues?

I believe they are supposed to be paid in January 2021?
Would I get much notice/lead time to pay them?
When do Disney usually get in touch and what are the timeframes allowed to actually pay them?

Then there are the 2020 dues which I am covering/reimbursing as part of the closing. I have heard there may be a rebate on these? Am I mistaken? Any thoughts on how that might play out?

My first DVC contract has passed ROFR and I am waiting to go through the closing process. Based on what I've read this may not be complete with points loaded until November or December.

My question is with me potentially cutting it so close to the end of the year before I'm actually "in the club", how will I get notified by Disney of my 2021 annual dues?

I believe they are supposed to be paid in January 2021?
Would I get much notice/lead time to pay them?
When do Disney usually get in touch and what are the timeframes allowed to actually pay them?

Then there are the 2020 dues which I am covering/reimbursing as part of the closing. I have heard there may be a rebate on these? Am I mistaken? Any thoughts on how that might play out?

congrats on your contract and welcome home.

2021 dues will be payable during December and are due by 15th of January. Dues will be considered late by 15th of February and fees etc will be added at that time.

I can’t remember if you will get a notification in your snail mail but at least you will be notified online when you sign into your account.

As for the 2020 dues you won’t get a discount on them. If your contract says you need to reimburse 2020 dues then you pay what ever your contract says.

With that said if we play with the idea that the dues for 2020 have been estimated too high for various reasons and 1$ pp is being returned then you can say you get a discount on the 2021 dues as that $1 pp will be subtracted from your 2021 payable dues.

Thanks for the information.

May be a dumb question but are the dues payable this December (2020) the 2021 dues? i.e we pay in advance of the upcoming year?

I'm wondering what happens if I don't get my login or snail mail communication (due to lengthy closing) in time for this December? Of course I'm hoping it's all done and my points loaded in October/November but not having been through it I don't know.

I presume it must be common for accounts closing around the December timeframe.

Thanks for the information.

May be a dumb question but are the dues payable this December (2020) the 2021 dues? i.e we pay in advance of the upcoming year?

I'm wondering what happens if I don't get my login or snail mail communication (due to lengthy closing) in time for this December? Of course I'm hoping it's all done and my points loaded in October/November but not having been through it I don't know.

I presume it must be common for accounts closing around the December timeframe.

Yes dues for 2021 are payable during December 2020. Yes you always pay in advance regardless of your UY. The club need your money to pay tax, cost to opera

If you close during December then DVC requires the dues for 2021 to be paid at the same time.

If you close in October or November you will have you login details before the dues are considered late in February 2021.

@Cyberc1978 - Great information! I'm closing on my first contract in the coming week. Is there an approximate date when the new dues amounts are announced? I assume there is an Annual Board Meeting or Ownership meeting when a Budget would be approved and therefore the dues for 2021 set?

@Cyberc1978 - Great information! I'm closing on my first contract in the coming week. Is there an approximate date when the new dues amounts are announced? I assume there is an Annual Board Meeting or Ownership meeting when a Budget would be approved and therefore the dues for 2021 set?

i think sometime during October or November there will be an estimate published by one of the DVC website and that info will normally reach the DIS.

the estimate isn’t more than that and until approve by the condo meeting in December it can actually change.

i think sometime during October or November there will be an estimate published by one of the DVC website and that info will normally reach the DIS.

the estimate isn’t more than that and until approve by the condo meeting in December it can actually change.

Mid November has been about the time they came out...wonder if thst will be the same this year.

I thought the bill for the annual fees came out after the Annual Member meeting the second week of December when they approve the 2021 budgets. You might get the actual bill in your Dec 26 mail. Merry Christmas.

I thought the bill for the annual fees came out after the Annual Member meeting the second week of December when they approve the 2021 budgets. You might get the actual bill in your Dec 26 mail. Merry Christmas.

You get the proposed amount before that but the actual bill does come after it’s approved at the meeting,

So, at least one will know by then what it will be and it does show up pretty quickly so one can pay.

The budget for 2021 dues will likely be out some time in Nov, and definitely before the annual DVC meeting in first part of Dec. You do not pay 2021 dues based on that budget. That is because there can be additions or deductions based on actual property taxes paid in 2020 compared to what had actually been budgeted for 2020. This year there is also some chance for a deduction because budget costs for 2020 may turn out to be less than actual costs, in which case the excess may be returned to members as a deduction from 2021 dues.

You will get an actual dues bill for 2021, reflecting any changes from the budget, in last half of Dec. But you do not need to have it actually sent to you. Once you can set up your online DVC Member account, you can actually find your dues bill on the website in your account in an annual dues section. Payment on the bill will be due Jan 15 but you have a grace period to pay it by Feb 15. You will likely need to pay that one in full unless you set up monthly payment withdrawals from your checking account, which may be impossible to do if you first get your DVC member account in December, i.e., you may have to wait for 2022 to have monthly withdrawals.

As to any 2020 dues that might still be owed after your sale is closed, that is actually not possible. In any resale purchase by a new member, if there are any dues unpaid for 2020, they must be paid as part of the closing on the sale. Who pays them is a matter of whatever the seller and buyer agree to. If you are involved in a sale, waiting for closing, and no one mentioned payment of 2020 dues, you should contact the broker or seller promptly to see what is going to be done on that Issue because silence is sometimes construed by a broker to mean the buyer will pay all dues for the year as part of the closing.

Last edited:
Another new member dues question:

for a direct Riviera sale now

If I have get Oct or Dec use year. I will get immediate points then also get points on Oct1 or Dec 1?
and I would owe (at closing?) prorated dues for the current points?
then full dues in Jan?

If I get a March use year.
I get no points now?
then owe full dues in Jan
then get points on March 1?

I am adding a 100 pt direct Riviera contract to my current March UY resales. I don't want more March points. We travel throughout the year and "keeping track" of things doesn't scare me. For some reason, I can not wrap my head around the dues/points for a new direct purchase!

I just bought a little add on direct with Dec UY. I got the 2019 points right away, which I called member services to bank. I will get a bill for prorated dues for those. In December, I’ll get my 2020 points. Then full dues in January.

If you get March UY, you will get 2020 points because you’re in the 2020 use year. You will pay prorated dues on those. Then full dues in January and 2021 points in March.

If I have get Oct or Dec use year. I will get immediate points then also get points on Oct1 or Dec 1?
then full dues in Jan?

I get no points now?

I am adding a 100 pt direct Riviera contract to my current March UY resales. I don't want more March points. We travel throughout the year and "keeping track" of things doesn't scare me. For some reason, I can not wrap my head around the dues/points for a new direct purchase!

I think if you went for Oct or Dec use year you'd get 2019 points immediately and then 2020 points in Oct or Dec this year. I'm not sure what dues you would have to pay in this case, whether you pay full 2020 dues or not, or any on 2019 (I imagine none of 2019), and then the usual dues in Jan 2021 for the year ahead.

If you went for March use year you would get 2020 points immediately and then 2021 points next March but pay 2020 dues pro-rata from March so not quite a full year, then normal dues in Jan 2021 for the year ahead.

When we spoke DVC recently they said they would not sell Oct or Dec use year right now unless you already had those use years basically, I don't think they want to give out anymore points than necessary - but let me know if you've heard different!

Thanks! I swear I have studied/learned more stuff about DVC in the past few months than I learned in all my years of school! :teacher:

Before we had purchased our first resale contract (but a couple months into reading these boards) the hubby said, "maybe we should look into non Disney timeshares also" I said, "OK. then you go ahead and learn all the things about those and let me know" Needless to say we are sticking with Disney. :sad2:

I wonder what will happen if they won't sell Oct or Dec use years. I do not want another UY. My travel needs are my travel needs. I can't wait to purchase or I will miss out on the 100 point minimum.

then full dues in Jan?

I get no points now?

I just bought a little add on direct with Dec UY. I got the 2019 points right away, which I called member services to bank. I will get a bill for prorated dues for those. In December, I’ll get my 2020 points. Then full dues in January.

If you get March UY, you will get 2020 points because you’re in the 2020 use year. You will pay prorated dues on those. Then full dues in January and 2021 points in March.

Just want to clarify a few things about UY.

No matter which UY you buy you dont need to wait for the UY to start to get your points.

That means if you buy a December UY today direct, you get 2019 points and you get 2020 and forward. The points are available immediately in your account. KEY thing to remember is that to use your 2020 points for a reservation the reservation have to start no earlier than 12/1-2020 and must end no later than 11/30-2021.

When you buy points direct no matter which UY you get you always pay prorated dues. A February UY pays for February to December and August from August to December.

Also I know that DVC uses the selling point that you get "free" points if you buy. There is no such thing as free points, you only get what you are entitled to. Free points refer to the points you get without paying dues for them. Free points are only "available" if you buy a UY which have not started yet. Ie in 2020 the UY's which haven't started is October, November and December. So buying those direct now will get you the 2019 points and all points going forward.

If you buy June UY you only get 2020 points as that UY have already started.

Explanation is that when you buy direct you get current UY's points and nothing more or less. Curreny UY for October, November and December is 2019 thats why you get them. When we reach 1st of October then the current UY is 2020 and then you no longer get 2019 points. Current UY for June is 2020.

Dues are based on *Calendar* Year not *Use* Year. It makes no difference what your UY is when it comes to dues. When you buy direct, you’ll pay a prorated amount of dues based on the time left in the calendar year no matter what UY - and thus regardless if you received 2019 and 2020 points. Come January 1, you’ll pay 2021 dues.

This is one reason I like to negotiate on dues and/or factor them into my price offer when I buy resale. Most brokers and sellers want you to pay 2020 dues no matter when in the year you purchased. Especially now - a resale contract you send to ROFR now likely won’t show up with points till late December, so you should either ask for seller to pay dues Or reduce your per point offer by the amount of dues (IMHO).

then full dues in Jan?

I get no points now?

When buying direct, you get current UY points and beyond. MFs are based on calendar year and not UY so that will be the same regardless of what UY you pick,

Since we are in the March 2020 UY, you’d get 2020 points, and then every March 1st you get more points to use...though you get them all at purchase, it’s just when they become valid for stays.

If you bought an Oct or Dec UY, you’d get 2019 UY points and beyond since both of those are still in their 2019 UY.

Regardless, dues will be prorated for 2020 from the date you agree to purchase and put down the payment. If that was today, then it would be a little over 3 months,

Now, someone was told they will not sell Oct or Dec UY right now, but we have no confirmed reports of anyone being turned down. This new info came out with the new incentives,

If you are adding direct and want one of those UYs, please report back what happens,

I will add that make sure you are choosing a UY that works for your travel because this year has shown that traveling at the end regularly, outside banking Window and on borrowed and banked points is even riskier because a cancelation can happen that is not in your control.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter