New Kiosk @ DAK For Food Allergy Info

No you are right I apologize. But I would think the gluten - free would be included in the allergy kiosk.

It is. But the person in the other post put gluten in with the Vegetarians and Picky eaters.
So many people think not wanting to eat Gluten is a special diet. When I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, they originally thought I had suffered a stroke, at 35 years old. my symptoms were very bad, hospitalized twice. May not be as severe as a life threatening nut allergy, per se, but it is still pretty serious. So I just get upset when it is taken lightly. lol

I have no problem at TS with my food taking longer, but I HATE waiting so long at CS places for my food. My family is done eating by time I get my food and they are itching to get moving. I remember this past Dec, at POR, I would just eat fruit or yogurt for breakfast because trying to wait for a chef to come out and talk to me, and then wait for them to make me a gluten Free waffle took SOOO long, the place was so crowded. I appreciate what they have to do for me, dont get me wrong, but I wish they had more CMs who were knowledgeable on how to make it themselves so it didn't have to be the manager.

I think the restriction of training for allergies to managers and chefs is an attempt to contain mistakes - they can make sure they do the training right for a smaller group of people instead of trying to keep up with a huge number of CMs who rotate between various restaurants. It's a big job responsibility, especially for people who don't have an allergy themselves, I would think. It's a completely different way of thinking. So I am happy with the system and having fewer CMs with better knowledge.

As far as the timing, I totally agree with you. I was grateful I could eat, but my husband would be done before I even got back to the table. So I wonder if the MyMagic+ could be implemented to solve that problem. They are testing something similar with Be Our Guest - basically a fastpass for lunch where you can choose to order ahead of time. That would be great.

The kiosk could be utilized for that - visit the kiosk that morning, look through the menus for lunch and dinner, place my order and agree on a return time, link it to my magicband. Then, go enjoy the park, and when the time comes up, go to the restaurant, check in, and get our food at the counter. Done and done. No extra waiting for me or anyone else in the line to verify allergy choices with a manager - it could be already done and flagged on my magic band from doing it at the kiosk.

It also helps to use the "shoulder season mentality:" visit eating places when they aren't crowded, either earlier or later than the typical mealtime. That helps quite a bit, and not just for allergies.

It is. But the person in the other post put gluten in with the Vegetarians and Picky eaters.
So many people think not wanting to eat Gluten is a special diet. When I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, they originally thought I had suffered a stroke, at 35 years old. my symptoms were very bad, hospitalized twice. May not be as severe as a life threatening nut allergy, per se, but it is still pretty serious. So I just get upset when it is taken lightly. lol

I understand what you mean! My peanut allergy isn't just if I eat it, I also react if I just touch the residue. I break out in hives everywhere. We learned that when my sister would eat peanut M&M's and we were using the same computer hours apart. I never used to have a reaction just from touching the residue so it took us awhile to realise what it was. As soon as she stopped eating them, the hives stopped. I've had people try to tell me that those sort of reactions can't "really" happen and it's an over-reaction ect :sad2:

A diet is one thing (although I still think people should be accommodated within reason) but for allergies/intolerances/illnesses, restaurants and the like should always go out of their way to help. No one does this better than Disney :)

It really would be impossible for Disney to provide enough accurate information for these things to be researched ahead of time. I know they wouldn't even do so when I asked and was told they change vendors too often. And sure enough while we were at Tusker House they told me that none of the cookies/desserts were safe for ODS because of his tapioca allergy. When I commented about how tapioca is showing up everywhere now he said yes and that just a couple weeks ago what they were getting would have been safe but now the vendor they used had multiple products with tapioca. But again they may become safe someday.

Research really wouldn't be helpful at all. This kiosk however I think is awesome.

Great. And coming soon to a kiosk nearby: Gluten intolerance info kiosk. Vegan/vegetarian info kiosk. Picky eaters info kiosk. My 10 year old doesn't like the adult menu kiosk. And my all time favourite: the I'm too lazy to do any advance research when we have people with problems kiosk.

Sorry. But the idea of that just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I'm sure they have a very good reason for doing it.

:confused3 Your understanding and supportive comments are greatly appreciated :rolleyes1

Great. And coming soon to a kiosk nearby: Gluten intolerance info kiosk. Vegan/vegetarian info kiosk. Picky eaters info kiosk. My 10 year old doesn't like the adult menu kiosk. And my all time favourite: the I'm too lazy to do any advance research when we have people with problems kiosk.

Sorry. But the idea of that just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I'm sure they have a very good reason for doing it.

As the parent of a 9 year old with a life-threatening peanut allergy, your post is in unbelievably bad taste (no pun intended). This is not a lifestyle people choose. My child wold love to be able to go to a friend's house or a party somewhere and not have to decline treats because it either has nuts or was prepared in a location that handled nuts.

I've typed a lot of other things in response to your post and simply deleted them as I decided not to stoop to being a jerk. But, I'm truly amazed that someone would post a response like yours to a serious topic such as this.

As the parent of a 9 year old with a life-threatening peanut allergy, your post is in unbelievably bad taste (no pun intended). This is not a lifestyle people choose. My child wold love to be able to go to a friend's house or a party somewhere and not have to decline treats because it either has nuts or was prepared in a location that handled nuts.

I've typed a lot of other things in response to your post and simply deleted them as I decided not to stoop to being a jerk. But, I'm truly amazed that someone would post a response like yours to a serious topic such as this.

Amen, Delirium! Obviously, Minnie mum has never experienced the terror of herself or a loved one struggling to breathe, hoping medical attention comes quickly enough, and praying that medical attention will stop the anaphylaxis so that the unimaginable does not happen. I've been rushed to the ER and have seen my husband code and nearly die from anaphylaxis (although his was from an antibiotic). Either way, it's a terrifying thing that completely changes your life and I'd say she and some others who have commented on this topic have never had to endure an experience like this or they'd never be so callous.
I hope the other parks follow suit!

That is awesome, and I'm super excited for you parents of kids or people with serious allergies.

But as the parent of a kid with Type 1 Diabetes I don't get why they're aren't also including carb info along with all this! Taking a kid with Type 1 to Disney can be a Very Tricky experience. For those of you who don't know, Type 1s can eat anything they want, but it is entirely necessary to balance exercise, carbohydrates and insulin to keep kids (and adults) from seizures (and possible comas) or hospitalization due to high or low blood sugars. Unlike even fast food restaurants, Disney doesn't provide any tiny bit of info about how many carbs are any of their food (except the prepackaged kind where nutrition info is required by law). If they can let people know all the ingredients in a dish, I don't see why they can't do something as simple as adding carb info!

Most diabetics (and the parents of young diabetics) have been counting carbs enough to have a rough guess on most things - but not everything. That combined with the unusual and varied amounts of activity and excitement (which also effects blood sugar) can make a magic trip to the carefree world of Disney not quite so carefree and can often lead to health emergencies. All that could be avoided if they just provided nutrition info for their food.

So while I'm super excited that they're starting to take health issues seriously at the world, but I'm at a frustrated loss to why they overlook such a common and serious issue as diabetes.

And sorry for my little rant here. I was so excited when I heard rumors of this not long ago, and so, so disappointed to discover a large group of kids (and adults) with serious medical needs are overlooked.

/endsoapbox

That is awesome, and I'm super excited for you parents of kids or people with serious allergies.

But as the parent of a kid with Type 1 Diabetes I don't get why they're aren't also including carb info along with all this! Taking a kid with Type 1 to Disney can be a Very Tricky experience. For those of you who don't know, Type 1s can eat anything they want, but it is entirely necessary to balance exercise, carbohydrates and insulin to keep kids (and adults) from seizures (and possible comas) or hospitalization due to high or low blood sugars. Unlike even fast food restaurants, Disney doesn't provide any tiny bit of info about how many carbs are any of their food (except the prepackaged kind where nutrition info is required by law). If they can let people know all the ingredients in a dish, I don't see why they can't do something as simple as adding carb info!

Most diabetics (and the parents of young diabetics) have been counting carbs enough to have a rough guess on most things - but not everything. That combined with the unusual and varied amounts of activity and excitement (which also effects blood sugar) can make a magic trip to the carefree world of Disney not quite so carefree and can often lead to health emergencies. All that could be avoided if they just provided nutrition info for their food.

So while I'm super excited that they're starting to take health issues seriously at the world, but I'm at a frustrated loss to why they overlook such a common and serious issue as diabetes.

And sorry for my little rant here. I was so excited when I heard rumors of this not long ago, and so, so disappointed to discover a large group of kids (and adults) with serious medical needs are overlooked.

/endsoapbox

The problem is portion. They can't guarantee that you have 2 tbsp of sauce on the plate and exactly 1 serving of rice or fries on the plate. Pre packaged can.

As far as the allergy kiosk I think it's great! It should help those that need it greatly.

The problem is portion. They can't guarantee that you have 2 tbsp of sauce on the plate and exactly 1 serving of rice or fries on the plate. Pre packaged can.

I see your point, but this is also true at any number of real life restaurants (McDonalds, Chilis, many many others), but they still offer all sorts of nutrition info (more than just carb counts) on their food. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter