New Kiosk @ DAK For Food Allergy Info

Visited the new kiosk today. I have to say I'm impressed. The cms there are also chefs at the other restaurants in the park. They sell OMG Gluten Free brownies, Enjoy Life cookies, granola bars, Babycakes cupcakes and cookies, GF beer, packaged pocorn, and rice crackers. I didn't see any surf sweets but, since I'm allergic to them, I didn't ask.

They have binders for each land with all of the ingredient sheets from each restaurant, kiosk, and cart. You can look ahead of time to see what might work before getting there. The CMs did tell me several times that I would still need to talk to the manager/chef. This is just for planning purposes.

Thanks for posting abut your experience! As I just posted I had an awful time with QS this past May and talked to Guest Relations about it suggesting they provide a central location where menus and ingredients can be viewed to help make dining choices. I'm so excited to hear about it and can't wait to check it out when we are there this fall.

The treats probably won't help us much as DS is allergic to most of the things on that list but its nice they have them available.

I think that this is a great idea. Someone coming with me has an allergy to blue food dye. You would be surprised at what foods have blue food dye.

What a great idea!
We don't have any allergies in my family, but seems like this is a win-win for ALL guests.:thumbsup2

Last week I was at a local amusement park and the woman in front of me at a food counter was trying to find something that was safe for her daughter to eat. It took quite a while as they pulled out a binder etc.. and it held up the line for what seemed like quite a while. (Though probably only really about 6 or 7 minutes.) The woman was very apologetic and trying to explain and seemed very stressed about both what to get her daughter and all the people behind her. DS and I were waiting for the rest of our party to get off a ride and weren't in any hurry, but I can't speak for everyone in line behind us.

Hopefully this idea is a success and spreads to the other parks!
(and even if it was originally said mockingly, adding info. for other dietary needs such as vegan, religious would be great too!)
*and, no, we don't have any of those food restrictions in our family either

Great. And coming soon to a kiosk nearby: Gluten intolerance info kiosk. Vegan/vegetarian info kiosk. Picky eaters info kiosk. My 10 year old doesn't like the adult menu kiosk. And my all time favourite: the I'm too lazy to do any advance research when we have people with problems kiosk.

Sorry. But the idea of that just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I'm sure they have a very good reason for doing it.

Wow. Just...wow.

I'm so excited to see this. My 18 month old daughter is peanut/tree nut/dairy/egg allergic and I always feel bad holding up other people while we try to figure out what is safe for her - much of the time we pack a small cooler bag and bring her food with us. It's nice to let her eat with us however!

Better than soy, but man they sneak dairy and egg into some random stuff!

Kudos to Disney on this one - we will still speak with the Chef but hopefully this will streamline the process a little!

Great. And coming soon to a kiosk nearby: Gluten intolerance info kiosk. Vegan/vegetarian info kiosk. Picky eaters info kiosk. My 10 year old doesn't like the adult menu kiosk. And my all time favourite: the I'm too lazy to do any advance research when we have people with problems kiosk.

Sorry. But the idea of that just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I'm sure they have a very good reason for doing it.

All of the things you mentioned in your post are a CHOICE of a person. Food allergies ARE NOT A CHOICE. My son has a severe allergy to nuts,, if he ingests a nut we will be in the hospital. Taking him out to eat and on vacation is scary for us, because even a trace amount of a nut could cause a reaction for him.
We are not being "picky eaters" we do not have a choice but to check every ingredient and know exactly what is in the food he eats.

And they DO have a very good reason for doing it, to prevent allergic reactions and save lives. If you are lucky enough to not have a need to use the kiosk, simply keep walking. its that simple.

:cheer2::cheer2: Yeah...what jlk said!!! :cheer2::cheer2:
All of the things you mentioned in your post are a CHOICE of a person. Food allergies ARE NOT A CHOICE. My son has a severe allergy to nuts,, if he ingests a nut we will be in the hospital. Taking him out to eat and on vacation is scary for us, because even a trace amount of a nut could cause a reaction for him.
We are not being "picky eaters" we do not have a choice but to check every ingredient and know exactly what is in the food he eats.

And they DO have a very good reason for doing it, to prevent allergic reactions and save lives. If you are lucky enough to not have a need to use the kiosk, simply keep walking. its that simple.

Gluten intolerance isn't a choice ;)

I couldn't have said it better! Totally agree

Was hoping there would be almond milk available for my DS.

And PP, I'm pretty sure my 18 month old didn't wake up one morning and decide to have a milk allergy for fun. Some people need to think a little more before they chime in :)

I guess I just don't see the reason to be irritated about this kiosk. I mean even if they did have one for vegetarians and picky eaters to use who cares? How does it effect you other than to perhaps cut down on the time it would take people to order at the actual restaurant and keep the lines moving? :confused3 The things people get up in arms about never fail to amaze me.

I think this is a wonderful idea. Since I literally have 8+ allergies, I often find it difficult to find safe snacks to eat. This is such a wonderful idea, I hope they have this in all of the parks.

Awesome idea. Why anyone would be against this is beyond me! Way to go, WDW!

Clearly WDW understands the importance of allergies and intolerances.

For the vegan/veggiehead haters - Not eating animal products is indeed a choice, but eating meat is also a choice!

You think it's a bad idea to give people with allergies information about the food they are eating? :confused3 This isn't just about advance research. I have 8+ allergies. Several are serious, including peanuts. If I eat peanuts, I become physically ill for 6-8 WEEKS after I have eaten them (this includes traces) . I'am constantly careful and I do my research, however being in another country (in our case), I can't possibly research everything prior to arrive. Unless Disney starts a website that lists every single food they offer and every single ingredient, I won't know until I get there. The idea of getting information and possibly buying snacks that I know are safe for me, is wonderful.

This isn't just about someone choosing not to eat meat, some allergies are life threatening! :sad2: Clearly, you're lucky that you don't have them and no one in your family must have them either. When you consider that some people can literally die from eating the wrong food, it puts it in perspective.

The Gluten Intolerance/Celiac info would actually be in with the allergy kiosk. It is not a lifestyle choice like picky eaters or even Vegans/Vegetarians and I am insulted that someone would think so. As a person with Celiac Disease, it is very frustrating to dine anywhere because it does take a lot of research and patience before hand and during. Yes, I research before I even go to WDW, but an info kiosk would just be handy for any changes...maybe they used a new supplier since the last time I looked at the ingredients, etc.

I think this is a great idea for those with allergies (which I do not have). For one, it will help keep the information up to date (hopefully). For another, it will hopefully speed up the lines at QS and snack locations for everyone. No more holding up the lines (I have heard from so many of those with allergies that they hate this). It might even allow guests who need special meals to order ahead of time so that don't have to wait to have the food delivered (takes longer to prepare).

I only see positives!

I have no problem at TS with my food taking longer, but I HATE waiting so long at CS places for my food. My family is done eating by time I get my food and they are itching to get moving. I remember this past Dec, at POR, I would just eat fruit or yogurt for breakfast because trying to wait for a chef to come out and talk to me, and then wait for them to make me a gluten Free waffle took SOOO long, the place was so crowded. I appreciate what they have to do for me, dont get me wrong, but I wish they had more CMs who were knowledgeable on how to make it themselves so it didn't have to be the manager.

Gluten Intolerance/Celiac Disease is NOT a choice but omg, I sure wish it was :sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter