New here - with questions :)

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by klavven, Mar 27, 2012.

  1. klavven

    klavven Earning My Ears

    Mar 27, 2012
    I'm new to disboards- but I'm already addicted to them!!

    My husband and I have finally decided to buy DVC after years of "thinking" on it. We have also decided after reading the boards here and doing some research that resale is the way to go.

    My question is - when making an offer - how low is too low? We made an offer on SSR last night for $57 a point - offer was about $1000 less than listed. Is that too low? The agent we spoke with felt that we may be going in to low and that we should only deviate $2-$3 per point. I know that he is in this for the money - but we also don't want to go in too low. From what I can tell on here - SSR has been selling as low as $50 per point.

    Any advice and input would be greatly appreciated!

    A second question - We are looking at traveling in mid-late June. I know that the whole process takes about 8 weeks - putting us closing in late May. Will we still be able to book a Studio or 1 bedroom? (We are not picky about where).

    Thanks in advance for all the help!!
  2. juncker

    juncker Mickey Mouse for President

    Jan 18, 2011
    $57 doesn't seem "too low" to me. Much of the value depends upon the current state of points. Is it loaded with banked points, etc..., or is it a stripped contract with no points coming until next year?

    How would you approach making an offer on a house? I would approach it the same way. Don't start with your best offer, but let the sellers come back to you. It's all part of the game. The brokers want the price to be as high as they can. If you were selling a house (or DVC contract), you would want to receive offers even if they were low. They can always come back with a different offer.

    We got an SSR contract last year for $65/point fully loaded with points. This gave us the opportunity to take a big trip right away with 2 years points. At the cash rack rate, this was over 50% of the actual purchase price, so we feel that we got a big chunk of our value right away. It may have been a higher price than most, but we certainly justified it.

    As for getting a place in June, I think that you'll be good. I would expect only SSR, OKW and possibly AKV to have availability, but you never know. Any DVC property is great.

    Best of Luck!
  3. Avatar

    DIS Sponsor Disney Vacation Club Resales

  4. chalee94

    chalee94 <font color=green>I thought all sand was ground up

    Aug 14, 2006
    i'm more conservative and wouldn't count on using pts for the first stay, but you never know.

    many DVC owners book well in advance to make sure they can book what they want and use their pts. if you don't use the pts, you lose them, after all. so availability can be iffy inside of 4-5 months - and then mostly at the larger resorts like SSR, OKW and AKV.

    june is not the most popular DVC time period, though...but less than a month is really pushing it. the risk is more that even if something is available, you may have to break your stay up into bizarre segments - a 2 night stay in a 1BR SSR villa, then a night in an OKW studio and then 2 nights in an AKV-kidani 1BR...

    let us know how it goes. some people seem to have no trouble on short notice...some aren't as lucky.
  5. Missyrose

    Missyrose DIS Veteran

    Jan 18, 2009
    Also, plan on it taking 60 days from the time your contract is sent for ROFR, meaning after you AND the seller have returned signed contracts. So it's likely you won't be closed and in the Disney system until sometime in June.

    Good luck!
  6. 18sprint

    18sprint Mouseketeer

    Jul 20, 2007
    The only risk of going too low is 1) getting accepted by the buyer, then, 2) Disney snatching it up at the lower accepted price, then you start over again. I suggest to go with your gut. Sellers get out for lots of reasons and you never know what they'll accept. You never know what Disney will do....doesn't seem to much of a pattern to.
  7. dbs1228

    dbs1228 DIS Veteran

    Feb 24, 2010
    Make your offer if it is right for, seller can always counter. We bought a SSR contract last year and paid 59.00PP for a 130 point contract it is had 2009, 2010 and 2011 points coming 5 months after we closed. Good luck

Share This Page