New Englanders: Good lobster at WDW?

I agree with most pps. We live in CT and vacation in ME every summer. I would not order lobster in Disney or anywhere else in FL if you are from or spend time in New England. Against my advice, one if my kids insisted on ordering one from CHH a few years ago. "How bad could it be?" she said. We tossed the majority of it in the trash. It was more like mayo soup than lobster :crazy2:

Your world is one kind of NE Lobster roll, not the only kind.
I was born and have lived my entire life in NE. My father-in-law was a chef in Maine. Lobster rolls definitely are authentic as well when made with a bit of mayonnaise and served cold. I would never eat a lobster roll with melted butter. Garbage :-)
I think it's a CT thing.

Your world is one kind of NE Lobster roll, not the only kind.
I was born and have lived my entire life in NE. My father-in-law was a chef in Maine. Lobster rolls definitely are authentic as well when made with a bit of mayonnaise and served cold. I would never eat a lobster roll with melted butter. Garbage :-)
IMO, there is only one type of lobster roll. The garbage type (the type with mayonnaise) is a lobster salad roll. :)

I had the lobster tails at Narcoossees but they were terrible. It was probably a prep issue though. Anyone can screw it up but for what they cost at Disney, it's an expensive screw up. I think I'll stick with Larsen's fish market from now on, or maybe a Grace Church lobster roll. We have both the cold and the hot buttered type here, both are delicious.

I'll stick with Larsen's fish market from now on, or maybe a Grace Church lobster roll. We have both the cold and the hot buttered type here, both are delicious.

LOL! That's one of the lobster rolls I eat every year - the fundraiser that someone at DH's work does. They give you a home made lobster roll (just meat in a roll), with a home made sugar cookie and a small bag of no-name chips. The BEST!

When in WDW I like to try what's local as a few PP have mentioned, so any eateries offering local seafood/shellfish on the menu is what I want cuz I can not get it in CT. However Florida does have it's own lobster, the rock lobster!!!:rockband: aka spiny lobster, no claws but they are delicious :hyper: I haven't seen them offered anywhere in WDW, but I have not looked recently.

wdw seafood is ok it is just different then what i am use to the only thing i will not eat in other parts of the country is clam chowder new Englands can not be beat

I've found that the seafood on Disney's menus is an enormous insult to the native seafood of Florida. There is so much good fish in the waters around Florida, and they just don't take advantage of it.

Im 5 minutes away for Four Seas! Love their ice cream. If you ever get a chance to come back, try Spanky's ! Really good. Tugboats too.

Kream n Kone is my favorite. My in-laws love Spanky's so that automatically lowers it a few notches for me. ;)

Am I in the minority for preferring Lobster broiled not steamed?

I prefer it broiled. So much easier to cook at home that way, too.

You don't have to stick to New England for Lobster. The same lobster that is sitting in a tank for days after catch at your favorite fish monger is flown down in a matter of hours to tanks down in Florida. No difference in quality, only price to cover the cost of shipping.

As for being no good Seafood in Florida that's nuts. I'm a life long New Englander who has a home in Clearwater and can tell you I eat fish frequently on every trip. It's hard to beat "anything" cooked right off the boat at the Bait House in Clearwater or the Grouper Reuben at the Rod and Reel on Anna Maria island.

A lot of times the lobster you get in Florida is only Maine lobster if you're getting it in a presentation where you see the whole lobster. Tails are almost always pitiful Caribbean lobster, and if you're just getting lobster meat within a dish and don't see the shell at all, I guarantee it's Caribbean lobster.

I agree, it's completely bananas that the seafood choices in Disney are so bad.

Not sure if this is a valid comparison, but as a Maryland girl, I don't bother touching crabs in any other state. It'd be a waste (as it has always been before I learned to give up :) )

You need to try Stone Crab! It's completely different than any other crab. Definitely way better than snow crab - that's just terrible to me.

I'm New Englander and would never order lobster in Florida. I did ONCE and never again. It's just not local to there.

Do you eat Haddock or Cod? You know most in the Boston market is coming from Canada or even Iceland which is 1000 miles further from Boston than Orlando. There's even previously frozen product flooding the market from Alaska. How about Salmon? Most is coming from Chili, some higher end from Scotland and some from Canada. Swordfish and Halibut seasonally can be local but just as likely from Alaska or again Chili. Partial to Fried Oysters? Louisiana. You're just as likely to find your Fried Clams came from Maryland, Virginia or Canada instead of Ipswich. Shrimp come from all over the planet. Vietnam, China, Thailand, Mexico. Even the New Bedford Scallop boats are traveling down to the Carolinas and further due to bed closures.

Nothing beats fresh off the boat seafood no matter where that may be. Unfortunately the number of places actually doing that are few and far between. If handled and prepared properly there's no reason a Cold Water Lobster boiled in Orlando wouldn't be as good as Massachusetts.

I wouldn't do it.

I especially would be wary of anything that claims to be a lobster roll. From what I saw, they put mayonnaise on them and serve them cold, and in my world, a lobster roll has butter, not mayo, and is served hot.

FYI - At the Boathouse, you can get the lobster roll butter-based as opposed to with mayo. You just have to ask. It was solid (good amount of well-cooked lobster), but slightly one-note this way.

When it comes to Lobster one note is all I want :-)

I will admit that I did not have the meal (I find lobster "not worth" the price for me since I don't LOVE it) so I'm only relaying the info from a family member. I'm honestly trying to remember if she said it was served cold or not which, when she asked if she could have it with just butter, she expected it to be warm. (I could just be imagining this though.)

Serious Lobster? Sandy and I are not from New England..... but you may find SERIOUS Lobster at an odd place to most -
Shula's - the Dolphin.

Go online - check their offerings :).

This thread is really a 'fun' read to me! I think everyone will prefer what is 'local' to them and 'the' only thing that is 'perfection'!! :D

I am a south LA girl, and don't try to pass off a good gumbo on me from anywhere else. Also add beignets. The ones you get a POFQ are a substitute at best of the ones at Cafe du Monde in NOLA. I 'will' eat them though!! I could go 'on and on'!

I will say this. I will eat different types seafood dishes (not any gumbos) at Disney even though they aren't prepared the same as I'm used to because I love seafood so much. I just carry around a small 'vial' of my favorite cajun seasoning to spice it up!! :P

All this talk of preferring what you are used to/grew up with, reminds me of years ago when I had heard that there were parts of the country where Pizza Hut was the only pizza people there had available. Growing up in a part of the country where every town had multiple mom and pop pizza shops, it was hard to believe that could be true. Maybe that has changed now, as this was decades ago. Luckily I can appreciate all types of most foods, whether they are the "locally preferred" or not!

New Englander - born, raised and never leaving.

I don't do lobster outside of New England. The prices are insane when I can get lobster tails at my grocery store for $4.99/each and they are delicious.

I've found that the seafood on Disney's menus is an enormous insult to the native seafood of Florida. There is so much good fish in the waters around Florida, and they just don't take advantage of it.

Okay so I read this as "Seafood on Denny's menus".....I was sitting here thinking, "This girl actually went to Denny's and thought they'd have good seafood." LOL:rotfl:

Native Maine-ah here born in Bangor and both my parents grew up on Deer Isle off the coast. I live in Mass now and have for many years but we still make it up there a few times a year. We get pretty good lobster here too but nothing compares to Deer Isle lobster right off the boat!

I tend to never order lobster outside of New England as it's just a sad state of affairs.

We did make the mistake ONCE at Narcoosee's ... never again! Tasted like it had been soaked in water for about a week, no flavor, mushy and just plain yuck. The price is also completely outrageous for what you get.

BTW we pick our lobsters, mix with a small amount of mayo, toast hot dog rolls in a pan on both sides with butter, stuff the lobster up high in the toasted roll and tada - lobster roll :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter