New England Bed and Breakfast tips?

SgtTibbs

RunDisney'er
My son and his wife are thinking of taking an early spring (April'ish) trip to a bed and breakfast in New England. That's about as far as they have gotten in terms of planning.

Does anyone have any suggestions for excellent B&B's in the greater New England area? Or any other general tips for a New England trip?

Last edited:
What part of New England? Does he have a specific activity he is hoping to accomplish such as hiking or touring some historic sites. Is he hoping for the coast or the mountains or perhaps one of the islands; Martha’s Vineyard, Nantucket or Block Island. Or perhaps one of the cities. There are hundreds of beautiful B&Bs in New England recommendations would be driven by what he’s looking for. Also, he should be aware that Patriots day is a holiday in Massachusetts on April 20. Huge amount of activity that goes on. Parades, Boston marathon, special celebrations in Lexington and Concord. Red Sox always play a home game on Monday morning. Not everyone has the day off but it combines with school vacation week. I believe Maine has the same week for school vacation.

Last edited:
This one is right on the historic Plymouth Waterfront, there is a ton to do nearby within walking distance, and it's also relatively close to both Boston (by car or nearby Commuter Rail) and Cape Cod as well, but honestly there is plenty to do right around Plymouth without going anywhere else. Reviews are excellent.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...Bed_and_Breakfast-Plymouth_Massachusetts.html
https://www.seeplymouth.com/things-to-do
Two things to be aware of: 1) It can be quite chilly around that time and 2) The Mayflower (ship) has been in dry dock for a couple of years but is due back by then, I believe. If so, there is a view of it right from the front of the house. *Just looked it up, it returns May 21, so they'd just miss it, but I wouldn't let that stop me from going, as it's nice to be able to walk all over the place for things to do.

What part of New England? Does he have a specific activity he is hoping to accomplish such as hiking or touring some historic sites. Is he hoping for the coast or the mountains or perhaps one of the islands; Martha’s Vineyard, Nantucket or Block Island. Or perhaps one of the cities. There are hundreds of beautiful B&Bs in New England recommendations would be driven by what he’s looking for. Also, he should be aware that Patriots day is a holiday in Massachusetts on April 20. Huge amount of activity that goes on. Parades, Boston marathon, special celebrations in Lexington and Concord. Red Sox always play a home game on Monday morning. Not everyone has the day off but it combines with school vacation week. I believe Maine has the same week for school vacation.

Yup, we do!

Since they don't know where they want to go or stay in NE why not read Yankee Magazine or Down East? Also checking the various tourist boards every state in the Union has and narrow down the choices. Then ask again once at least a state is picked.

April is a pretty dreary month around here in New England. Not much growing; could be lots of ugly, dirty snow still hanging around. Beginning of May is much better - the trees will be getting new leaves, the bulbs will be popping out, the grass will start to turn green :)

One Bed and Breakfast that I've been to in New England is the Berry Manor Inn, Rockland Maine. It was a nice place, though not near anything in particular.

A lot of people might mention Cape Cod, but there's also Cape Ann, which is made up of Rockport, Gloucester, Salem, Ipswich, etc. In Ipswich, there's The Inn at Castle Hill at Crane Estate. It was fun fun walking the grounds of the estate early in the morning with no one else around. There's a beach nearby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts