New DVC 101 Episode from the DIS Unplugged!

I really enjoyed listening to the show. We play the credit card points game and usually don't pay for our lodging. After listening to this, it really has me thinking about it. But now that our kids are grown, we want to see other places. My question is can you use those points at places that are not DVC? Are there any other places with reciprocity?

I really enjoyed listening to the show. We play the credit card points game and usually don't pay for our lodging. After listening to this, it really has me thinking about it. But now that our kids are grown, we want to see other places. My question is can you use those points at places that are not DVC? Are there any other places with reciprocity?

There is a way to use DVC points to trade with RCI - I don't know enough to give you a tons of details and/or opine if it is a good use of points or anything like that ... but if that angle would interest you, something to explore further

This is the DCV website about it: https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/destinations/list/world-rci/rci/

Yes, there is an RCI exchange available to direct and resale buyers. There are also some other collections only available to direct purchasers (or possibly "grandfathered" resale, we didn't qualify so I didn't research it much), but general consensus is that exchange into DCL/ABD/other collections is a poor use of points. That is, it's better to rent your points out and then pay cash for non-DVC places. I've only ever used points on property at WDW, and we bought resale, so I can't say I have personal experience with the exchange rates. There is so much to understand with DVC (and changes happening all the time), and the DVC forums here on the disboards have been a wealth of knowledge and help for me. We love our DVC! We frequently go to Disney, and with DVC we've been able to include family and get larger villas to share the love. Good luck with whatever you decide:)

As noted above, yes you can use DVC points for non-DVC places. However its not a good idea because the exchange rate is horrible. You shouldn't buy DVC if your intention is to use them for non-DVC properties/experiences.

From what I understand, the exchange rate ain't that great for DCL either, but I have friends that have done that since '12, when the parks started getting more and more crowded. Before that they went to WDW every year, sometimes twice a year, and bought into OKW many years ago. Now they go on DCL about every other year or so. They might have to combine with cash to do that also, not sure. But I know I've heard DVC-DCL exchange rate not great.

As noted above, yes you can use DVC points for non-DVC places. However its not a good idea because the exchange rate is horrible. You shouldn't buy DVC if your intention is to use them for non-DVC properties/experiences.

I thought about at least looking into resale (even it is is a stretch money wise). But as of now, DVC points seem extremely inflexible to me and it turned me off.

I am excited to learn more about Re-Sale, and will certainly reconsider it!

Though I think DVC isn't for me, I am super interested in it. Here is a question for a future episode, that might be able to be answered here, but I wasn't able to find it online as easy as I thought I would. So, you buy in, and you have the yearly maintenance fees that do go up in price, but at a predictable rate. My question is, have there ever been assessments on the DVC properties? I am thinking like an assessment after a bad storm, or to upgrade a roof like in a condo association. Or are all these covered in the yearly maintenance fees?

My question is, have there ever been assessments on the DVC properties? I am thinking like an assessment after a bad storm, or to upgrade a roof like in a condo association. Or are all these covered in the yearly maintenance fees?
I can't think of any. Maybe something at Vero? But that might be something that was covered by (higher) maintenance fees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!