New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

Disney most likely wont delay in building the ships. Theyll need the ships to pay themselves off. This is a short term issue, for lack of a better term being dealt with as opposed to 911. It will take a few.months to a year for the cruise lines to stabilize again. Remember, theres people still booked from May on. April is a question mark. No other lines that have ships planned have even come close to mentioning canceling or delaying new builds. Or even docking ships due to lack of demand.

There is some ways that the ships can be made to avoid contamination. Certain ultraviolet lights in the ac systems, for example, special additives in the ships laundry etc. The same cleaners can be used with special paints in the common areas. Placing hand sanitizer stations permanently mounted in the shipped from central locations.....The 2 big hurdles are 1, the people of the world that get onboard while knowingly sick, (think the genius that got on a plane knowing he was cv19 pos Happened at least 2x that I know of, ) and another virus that spreads similar to cv19. Theres ways around that also. There are full body scanners that can read a person's temp and if above a certain point they can be pulled aside for further screening.
I can’t remember the plans about the original ships after the Dream class. Larger I thought than what they have now? And I thought they had a year mentioned for delivery? And maybe lost a deposit???(maybe a different loss occurred) It was after 9/11 that the original plan went south right?

I can’t remember the plans about the original ships after the Dream class. Larger I thought than what they have now? And I thought they had a year mentioned for delivery? And maybe lost a deposit???(maybe a different loss occurred) It was after 9/11 that the original plan went south right?

You mean the ships between the .Magic class and the Dream class?
Those ships per Joe Lanzisero, were to be bigger then the Magic but smaller then the Dream. My best guess is that the Magic class is about 88,000 tons with the Dream class in at about 130,000 , the in between class would have been roughly 100 to 120,000 tons. They didnt get too far. They were announced as.an memorandum of understanding, which basically means that the yard agreed to build a ship or ships for Disney, in 2001. And that memo was canceled quietly following 911. I dont remember a year off hand for delivery for those ships,dont think one was mentioned, but a guess would have been in the 2004/05 range. I dont think any money if not too much changed hands. It was basically an agreement on who would supply what,when, rough size, how many, options stuff like that.

Except that is at Neptun Werft shipyard and the Wish will be at Meyer Weft shipyard.

My question from the video is does that mean that the "pieces" of the Wish are already being constructed and that they are only "put together" at the ship yard?

Except that is at Neptun Werft shipyard and the Wish will be at Meyer Weft shipyard.

My question from the video is does that mean that the "pieces" of the Wish are already being constructed and that they are only "put together" at the ship yard?
Parts of it yes. They will manufacture certain blocks in other areas and assemble at Meyer. THink of Neptun as a subcontractor to Meyer. Neptun is really good at making engine blocks (very important). So why not let them build those for you so you can focus on other core competencies? Like the hull and upper structures?

Neptun will make certain modules, and parts for ships being built in Papeburg. My only question is if that is the Wish engine module or is it a module meant for another ship being built in Papenburg. I've seen the same module/video but I thought I saw I the press section it was meant for an Aida ship. I just havent had 10 minutes on my laptop to trace the timelines to see who it belongs to.

To answer your next question there is a good chance that they are cutting and welding for the Wish. Just the ceremonies have been postponed for now.

Now putting that aside for a minute, when MW Papenburg builds a ship, they have several options available to them. In the past, they have built ships from beginning to end in Papenburg. They have also used Neptun to build certain sections and decorative pieces like the funnel shroud, exhaust housings etc.One of the ships currently being built, had its engine room section floated in from the staging area, after I think the latest Aida or Iona ship was floated out It could be busy work for Neptun if they have no orders of their own, or could be a deadline issue where using Neptun to build a portion of the ship,works to get the ship out on time. But the bulk of the work is done at Papenburg.

Neptun will make certain modules, and parts for ships being built in Papeburg. My only question is if that is the Wish engine module or is it a module meant for another ship being built in Papenburg. I've seen the same module/video but I thought I saw I the press section it was meant for an Aida ship. I just havent had 10 minutes on my laptop to trace the timelines to see who it belongs to.

To answer your next question there is a good chance that they are cutting and welding for the Wish. Just the ceremonies have been postponed for now.

Now putting that aside for a minute, when MW Papenburg builds a ship, they have several options available to them. In the past, they have built ships from beginning to end in Papenburg. They have also used Neptun to build certain sections and decorative pieces like the funnel shroud, exhaust housings etc.One of the ships currently being built, had its engine room section floated in from the staging area, after I think the latest Aida or Iona ship was floated out It could be busy work for Neptun if they have no orders of their own, or could be a deadline issue where using Neptun to build a portion of the ship,works to get the ship out on time. But the bulk of the work is done at Papenburg.
Neptun Werft specializes in building engine blocks and recently increased their capacity. Engine blocks are built then transported to Meyer Werft. See this link for details: https://www.neptunwerft.de/en/products/floating_engine_room_units/index.jsp

Neptun Werft specializes in building engine blocks and recently increased their capacity. Engine blocks are built then transported to Meyer Werft. See this link for details: https://www.neptunwerft.de/en/products/floating_engine_room_units/index.jsp
That may be true now, but in years past Papenburg has done all of the work in house. Its only been the last few years Maybe 5 or so, that Neptun has been supplying blocks to Papenburg.

Heres the Dreams engines being installed.
That block was made in Papenburg and was sitting next to the dock prior to being added to the growing ship. Theres pics online of the Fantasy engine room block in the same place. There was some smaller pieces like the funnels that were barged up from other places.

That may be true now, but in years past Papenburg has done all of the work in house. Its only been the last few years Maybe 5 or so, that Neptun has been supplying blocks to Papenburg.
Heres the Dreams engines being installed. That block was made in Papenburg and was sitting next to the dock prior to being added to the growing ship. Theres pics online of the Fantasy engine room block in the same place. There was some smaller pieces like the funnels that were barged up from other places.
I have read that Neptun Werft is constructing all of the LNG Engine blocks, than transporting them the Papenburg to be constructed with the rest of the ship. This is how Meyers seems to be completing about 2 or more ships every year now.

I have read that Neptun Werft is constructing all of the LNG Engine blocks, than transporting them the Papenburg to be constructed with the rest of the ship. This is how Meyers seems to be completing about 2 or more ships every year now.
Like I said it's possible/probable that they streamlined things. But Papenberg was turning out 3 ships a year before they started getting blocks from Neptun. That goes back to when the Dream class was being built. I think they had been building river cruise ships, and that may have slowed for them, as the last one according to their webpage was delivered in 2015. Prior to that they were delivering 2 river cruise ships per year.

ETA, there still building river cruise. They delivered 2 this year. Theres still a gap in the deliveries which may either be a slowdown or they just havent updated their press section on deliveries.

Last edited:
I posted the above video and article link on page one under News.

All the talk about costs makes me wonder if there will be some "cutting corners" on the Wish. All the more reason to wait six months or so to let any "glitches" get reported here before booking a room on the Wish (Fantasy aft vibrations is what comes to mind). I just hope that they don't get rid of the special disney touches, like the grand chandelier in the lobby, the themed restaurants, the "magic" paintings in the halls etc. I know those things are "optional" and will cost more money but I'd have a much harder time justifying the cost if the ship is just generic. It already makes me sad how much Disney resort refurbishments have been trending toward cutting all the unique decor in the guest rooms.

It already makes me sad how much Disney resort refurbishments have been trending toward cutting all the unique decor in the guest rooms.

I would hope if they cut anything out it would be the less obvious things. I completely agree about the bland hotel rooms. They all look alike and though they have some Disney touches, they don't look "warm & inviting" at all. Sigh. It makes it really hard to justify the cost. It's most apparent at the deluxe resorts. The rooms look so stripped down, you might as well stay at a value resort.

She did talk about cost cutting on the shipyard side.There is a chance that Disney is also going to cut here or there butI am pretty sure they would not dilute there product and risk to lose the premium touch.

It already makes me sad how much Disney resort refurbishments have been trending toward cutting all the unique decor in the guest rooms.

I couldn't agree more. We've stayed in the Grand Floridian and one of the new Wilderness Lodge cabins over the last few years and I was shocked at how the "magic" seemed to be missing. They were great accommodations, but the whimsy was gone. I hope things will swing back to the original feeling.

I couldn't agree more. We've stayed in the Grand Floridian and one of the new Wilderness Lodge cabins over the last few years and I was shocked at how the "magic" seemed to be missing. They were great accommodations, but the whimsy was gone. I hope things will swing back to the original feeling.

We stayed at the Grand California twice, and thought it was nice, but only worth it due to the location, not the rooms (lobby is fantastic though). Than, last January we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel for the first time and absolutely fell in love with it. With the Disney feel the moment you walk into the cool retro lobby, the tropical grounds, and a room that actually felt different than a standard hotel, we realized we had been paying more to stay at the wrong hotel.

I've been looking on and off to trying to guage what's been going on in MW regarding the Wish and subsequent builds. Both Royal and Carnival have publicly stated that the Iona which is under Carnivals umbrella, and the Odysey of the Seas will be delayed. Which means by default, the Wish will be delayed also. Neither line has stated how far behind each will be other then to say late.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!