New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

Are hull numbers assigned with any special meaning?

Yes and no. Yes, as they are the identifying numbers for the manufacturer, since a lot of lines double up on names. Disney Dream, Carnival Dream, Genting Dream, Carnival Magic, Disney Magic etc. So when parts arrive, they are numbered with that hull number. And when a line calls up and says we need a specific part, the first question is, whats the hull number. Its like a VIN. They are also assigned when the ship is ordered. So when DCL said, were building 2 ships, they got 2 consecutive numbers. 705 and 706. When they ordered the 3rd, they got 718. Other lines filled in the spots. They don't typically follow any order once assigned, like Norwegian Bliss. Shes 707, but based on the contract, shes being built first.

Past that, theres really no special significance to them.

Yes and no. Yes, as they are the identifying numbers for the manufacturer, since a lot of lines double up on names. Disney Dream, Carnival Dream, Genting Dream, Carnival Magic, Disney Magic etc. So when parts arrive, they are numbered with that hull number. And when a line calls up and says we need a specific part, the first question is, whats the hull number. Its like a VIN. They are also assigned when the ship is ordered. So when DCL said, were building 2 ships, they got 2 consecutive numbers. 705 and 706. When they ordered the 3rd, they got 718. Other lines filled in the spots. They don't typically follow any order once assigned, like Norwegian Bliss. Shes 707, but based on the contract, shes being built first.

Past that, theres really no special significance to them.
Okay, that makes sense. Too bad it wasn't more like a VIN in that all it's special features were coded into the number.

Okay, that makes sense. Too bad it wasn't more like a VIN in that all it's special features were coded into the number.

The hull number is just like a VIN. A VIN is so long because each car made anywhere in the world has a unique VIN number. The VIN contains the manufacturer, body, engine type and its build date.

Ships over a certain displacement use whats called an IMO (International maritime organisation) number, these are unique and coded to each ship. Each ship has this IMO number welded onto a bulkhead in engineering.

The hull number, as mentioned above, is just the yards own identification method, they will have drawings and part numbers for everything fitted to the ship.

unless i missed it, no they didn't. They kind of rushed past and just mentioned there are 3 new ships coming out, nothing else about them.

Maybe they wanted to keep that info under wraps until D23. :confused3

I didn't really expect them to announce the name(s) just yet but stranger things have happened. Beside someone above making the good point about Star Wars Land, if I remember correctly, they announced the Dreams name at her steel cutting. That's at least several months off. But still Id tend to agree, other the Marvel movies, I don't expect much to get in the way of StarWars Land announcements.

Bingo. TBH even though Im not rabid about SW I feel a little slighted that it is opening with only one of the two rides. Well, I feel more slighted that they didn't give us anything bigger to get excited about over on this board, BUT STILL. :rotfl2:

Even with just one ride, availability for the weekend I am already booked dropped like a rock! I’m just hoping that the other parks will be rather empty. :rotfl2:

if I remember correctly, they announced the Dreams name at her steel cutting.

The Dream and Fantasy were both named on March 10 2009 at the annual shareholder meeting - hence why people were hoping there would be some sort of announcement today :)

The Dream and Fantasy were both named on March 10 2009 at the annual shareholder meeting - hence why people were hoping there would be some sort of announcement today :)
Gotcha. When I made the build list,i was looking for milestone dates, and couldnt seem to find a definitive day that the ships names were announced. The only thing I could find was the first steel announcements.

I tend to agree from a marketing standpoint, that Disney as a whole doesnt or wouldnt want to make any type of announcement that would deter from Star Wars land for the time being. To me at least it makes perfect sense. Everything they do is calculated for maximum effect.

Iger confirmed the new island. I’m assuming they are keeping Castaway Cay. So which boats will go where? And could a double dip mean both islands?

Iger confirmed the new island. I’m assuming they are keeping Castaway Cay. So which boats will go where? And could a double dip mean both islands?

No one knows yet.

Castaway Cay if Im not mistaken is a 99 year lease so its not going any where. As far as the new Island, from what I understand, the island is similar to some of the other lines private islands, where Disney will own a given amount of land, and the rest is local resorts, marinas etc. I thought I saw some where that Disney was willing to allow at least some of the property to be used by the locals, but I don't remember the details off hand,though I think I remember something about an Aulani style resort on the property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter