New D23 Expo Superthread! (6/24/2019)

Is the meeting area for overnight queue the same as it was in 2017? I am reading Katella near Arena Plaza. That is on the opposite side of the convention center from HallD23.
Looks like a change from 2017 :
“Main entry for overnight queues is directly off Katella Avenue at the Arena Plaza on the north end of the convention center.”
I’m thinking they want to keep the overnight/early morning line far apart from the main entrance to make them very distinct. I don’t know if there is a escalator to the basement from the north end or if they will just have people walk the inside corridor from the north to the south and then go down the escalator. Guess we will just have to wait and see ...

I know it’s late to be asking this - but can anyone help me understand the discount park tickets available for D23? I have the link from the original D23 ticket email though I can’t get past the welcome screen at the moment.

Do the tickets include the early morning (Sat) and the option to add max pass? I vaguely recall people talking about this somewhere in the thread, but, despite searching, I can’t find it. Thanks!

There’s two types of tickets, Partial day “Twilight” and then your normal single/multi day park tickets. All are discounted from normal pricing but do not include magic mornings like the full price tickets do.

Twilight tickets are the draw for many expo goers as one can enter starting at 4PM until close. It’s $93 per day for one park or the hopper for $127. While you can select how many days you want, an example of the expo discount 3 day hopper is $295 versus the standard $355 rate.

Maxpass can be added to any admission ticket either at the time of purchase or after. The question is if any fast passes are available when doing Twilight since many of the fun high demand rides may sell out of fast passes for the day by 6/7pm

Last edited:
Same as some others, I needed to log off the computer after yesterday's debacle. I was poised and ready on my computer well before noon (1pm my time) and logged onto the website about 15 minutes prior and got the 'you may have to refresh' but then at noon, it said I was in the virtual queue. My person was running on a treadmill. When they posted the notice 71 minutes later that all storepasses were gone and the stagepasses I wanted were also gone, I was (to say the least) disappointed. I waited another 20 minutes and I got in. I was able to get a few stagepasses that I didn't originally have on my list but were also interesting to me. I didn't want to take anything that others might actually want. I was really amazed that they allowed you to include a guest but never asked for clarification or link to another badge. I think that some people may have doubled up on their reservations this way (and hence why someone mentioned seeing a 'for sale' for a reservation on some other site.)

I've never been to a Disney expo but I have been to conventions with 40,000 people and big celebrities (BIG like J Lo) and know that it can be managed - even managed so that everyone can attend (might be standing room or have to go in then out, but it can be done.)

Anyway, I'm a huge Disney fan and know they ... suck ... at making this easy and lowering wait times but I really thought they had it together. They clearly do NOT because I, along with many of you, have thought of several ways to make the system better - even before they launched the reservation time.

Well, I've already booked my departure flight a day earlier, planned my first day in Laguna Beach, and am really debating if I want to buy a ticket to Disneyland for more than a day. I probably will since the expo sounds like more work and less fun...and potentially life threatening for a diabetic.

I know it’s late to be asking this - but can anyone help me understand the discount park tickets available for D23? I have the link from the original D23 ticket email though I can’t get past the welcome screen at the moment.

Do the tickets include the early morning (Sat) and the option to add max pass? I vaguely recall people talking about this somewhere in the thread, but, despite searching, I can’t find it. Thanks!
We did not find the link til we added extra expo tickets. It came up at the end of that purchase. We used the link for some twilight tickets(use after 4p) these were discounted and you had to attest to why you are eligible for discounted tix. The full day Was only slightly discounted. I dont know if they had magic morning but we barely have any magic mornings posted during the expo D23 days anyhow. No special park hours posted for us either. Dont forget there is a Pop-up Mickey type of gallery near Downtown Disney. You have to get those tix online only and I think they were 30 to 35 depending on the time. Go to the park hours calendar. The popup is at the bottom of the days when it is open. Special pin and store there. You must pick a time and apparently we are not to be late.

Last edited:

There’s two types of tickets, Partial day “Twilight” and then your normal single/multi day park tickets. All are discounted from normal pricing but do not include magic mornings like the full price tickets do.

Twilight tickets are the draw for many expo goers as one can enter starting at 4PM until close. It’s $93 per day for one park or the hopper for $127. While you can select how many days you want, an example of the expo discount 3 day hopper is $295 versus the standard $355 rate.

Maxpass can be added to any admission ticket either at the time of purchase or after. The question is if any fast passes are available when doing Twilight since many of the fun high demand rides may sell out of fast passes for the day by 6/7pm
Can’t seem to find a link or web location anywhere through either d23 or Anaheim convention center. Any guidance on where you found the pricing? And where tickets can be purchased?

“Main entry for overnight queues is directly off Katella Avenue at the Arena Plaza on the north end of the convention center.”
I’m thinking they want to keep the overnight/early morning line far apart from the main entrance to make them very distinct. I don’t know if there is a escalator to the basement from the north end or if they will just have people walk the inside corridor from the north to the south and then go down the escalator. Guess we will just have to wait and see ...
Hall E, aka the basement, is only under Hall D23 so looks like we will be walking, I'm wondering if they will split the queues inside, like they did Saturday morning last Expo, where the basement was only only Hall D23 lines and those wanting other first thing panels or the show floor were lined up in the lobby and up on the second level.

Can’t seem to find a link or web location anywhere through either d23 or Anaheim convention center. Any guidance on where you found the pricing? And where tickets can be purchased?
If you have your original expo ticket email, look towards the bottom there is a rectangular banner that states continue the magic with specially priced tickets and has logo for Disneyland. Click on it and it takes you to a my group site. The twilight tix are 93 and single day range from one day at 149 to less each day if adding more. You can add park-hopper. You can only buy 6 tix at a time and can only order twice. They email a link to you after you pay then you can add the ticket number into your electronic Disneyland profile or just print it and bring it along. They close the ticket sales soon.
I tried to copy the link but I could not do so. I am on an iPad and without a teenager close by so cannot cut n paste the rectangle into this reply. LOL
One big PS: disneyland park is open til midnight Sunday Aug 25 so thats 8 hrs. DCA closes 9p so not much value in 4hrs. Downtown Disney open to 2a on weekend so you CAN get into that Disney store at least. Universals open late all weekend we booked a private ride via super shuttle. You can do public transportation but its not so fast but is ok if going on a weekday ie rushhour. Just do an internet search, many Disney fans have commented on how to do it.

Last edited:

So I think here's what I find the worst of all this. When go on a Disney vacation, you can plan what you are doing and the systems are in place so you can really kind of know what you are doing in advance, in at Disneyland. With this convention it feels like on every subject it's "not really sure how that will work" or "this is what they did last time but". I have tried to set my expectations low for this event, and as posted earlier was lucky enough to get 2 reservation for our party of three, but I already feel like this is a one and done event for me.

For anyone who might be visiting the Disney Ambassadors, one of our former Disneyland board DISers "DLR29" (Stephen Lim) is a Disney Ambassador this year, and will be at D23 all weekend. Be sure to say hi to him, and let him know you're on the Disboards. He's a wonderful person, and did the college program at Disneyland, then moved to WDW, where he has been working in various positions there.

As for the D23 Expo, I'm done stressing. Now, my roommates and I are in planning mode, and we know we'll have fun regardless of the panels we get in. In 2017, we went to various panels and had a wonderful time in the unplanned ones we got in.

We're trying to figure what type of sit-upons to take to save our tushes. I'm bummed about the foldable chairs. I have one that fits in my backpack, and used it in the early morning queues, and not during the day. It really saved my knees. I have my Fantasmic pad that fits in my backpack, and a little inflatable cushion I might take.

For anyone who might be visiting the Disney Ambassadors, one of our former Disneyland board DISers "DLR29" (Stephen Lim) is a Disney Ambassador this year, and will be at D23 all weekend. Be sure to say hi to him, and let him know you're on the Disboards. He's a wonderful person, and did the college program at Disneyland, then moved to WDW, where he has been working in various positions there.

As for the D23 Expo, I'm done stressing. Now, my roommates and I are in planning mode, and we know we'll have fun regardless of the panels we get in. In 2017, we went to various panels and had a wonderful time in the unplanned ones we got in.

We're trying to figure what type of sit-upons to take to save our tushes. I'm bummed about the foldable chairs. I have one that fits in my backpack, and used it in the early morning queues, and not during the day. It really saved my knees. I have my Fantasmic pad that fits in my backpack, and a little inflatable cushion I might take.

Same. I’m not stressing any more. It will be what it will be, just like always, and I never regret going.

It didn't look like the tickets included Magic Morning to me. When I looked at the D23 discount ticket page and the regular DLR ticket page, you can clearly see the DLR ones marked with Magic Morning; whereas, nothing was stated on the D23 page. I ended up buying tickets from Undercover Tourist. I was able to include Maxpass as well. Their 3+ day tickets include MM. Last Minute Travel Club also has discounted tickets, but you can't add Maxpass before hand. Both companies use e-tickets, so you just go straight to the turnstile with your printed out or email ticket.

Thanos says that a lottery system would have been more fair and impartial:thumbsup2 Anyone else watching End Game. Just got the blu-ray yesterday. My husband (we are both in high tech) was appalled at how the reservation system worked. He saw me trying to make mine yesterday. He said that a high school kid could have written a better program and that it should have been lottery based. He's the one that mentioned Thanos. I thought it was too funny and had to share. Please resume your D23 packing.

In 2011 they used that end to queue for a separate entrance to ACC to Legends and Live Movies as I recall. Totally skipped the main entrance.

I am saying this because they could do something to allow for a separate entrance for 2019 to handle these folks.

For anyone who might be visiting the Disney Ambassadors, one of our former Disneyland board DISers "DLR29" (Stephen Lim) is a Disney Ambassador this year, and will be at D23 all weekend...
As for the D23 Expo, I'm done stressing. Now, my roommates and I are in planning mode, and we know we'll have fun regardless of the panels we get in...
Thanks for the tip about Stephen Lim -- that's cool! We'll have to look for him.
Same. I’m not stressing any more. It will be what it will be, just like always, and I never regret going.
Agree with both of you. We decided last night that the stress just wasn't worth it. There are always ways to have fun at Expo, in spite of the headaches, so if things get too hairy, you'll find us at the food trucks feasting on French fries! (The Barcelona truck has yummy fries!)

Does anyone know if will call on Thursday is a crazy long process? Like do I have to queue up on wednesday night? 😂

Does anyone know if will call on Thursday is a crazy long process? Like do I have to queue up on wednesday night? 😂

Lord, no. Haha! I'm flying in on Thursday AM and Will Call is going to be my first stop. I was going to get a three day park ticket and go in on Thursday, but I don't know how long the line is going to be. It may be just end up being a "get my badge and rest up" day.

Thanks for the tip about Stephen Lim -- that's cool! We'll have to look for him.

Agree with both of you. We decided last night that the stress just wasn't worth it. There are always ways to have fun at Expo, in spite of the headaches, so if things get too hairy, you'll find us at the food trucks feasting on French fries! (The Barcelona truck has yummy fries!)

Is there a list somewhere of the food trucks out for D23? My sister said to me yesterday that we were making time for the food trucks. I forgot to ask her if she had found a list because I had not. I know we could wait and check them out once we head out, but if it is going to be crowded, it would be good to know right were we wanted to start.

I don't know if there is an official list of the food trucks (but this video lists some: https://d23.com/d23-video/eats-treats-dining-at-d23-expo-2019/). Some of the trucks come back repeatedly, like the Barcelona Truck. Last time, I remember the Grass Fed Burger truck. The trucks have twitter feeds and usually post if they'll be at the ACC. I remember the Barcelona truck was there in the mornings selling breakfast burritos and stayed until the end of the day. There was an ice cream sandwich truck, a BBQ truck, a grilled cheese truck (?), and a few more. Thank goodness for the trucks -- without them, we would have starved. Also, the Hilton has a little food court on the bottom level and a Starbucks in the lobby.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter