New D23 Expo Superthread! (6/24/2019)

Reading through your replies and feeling less nervous about attending for the first time. Thank you! Specifically for Friday and the D23 Gold Pass lines to see the Legends and Disney+ panels; what's your experience or expectation? How early does one need to get in the Gold line? Do gatekeepers allow all Gold holders in or is there a cut off? Is it possible to attend both or should I pick one? (I don't plan on doing shopping btw).

There was a cutoff last year after the line filled (can't recall how many). The overnight line for the show floor/shopping far surpassed Legends, though. Didn't even out until it was closer to the AM. But with the reservation system, assuming they offer it for all Hall 23 panels (language wasn't clear), that could impact line cutoffs or overnight attempts

Just checked the park hours for DL for the week following D23 and discovered Haunted Mansion is closing Monday, Aug 26 and Hyperspace Mountain on Wednesday, Aug 28 for refurbishment. Fall hours start Monday, August 26, with both parks opening at 9 a.m. I called DL today to check on times for the Main Street Electrical Parade and was told they had not been given those times yet. Also, there will be no Tomorrowland Skyline Terrace events to watch the fireworks the week of August 26. We’re arriving Wednesday night before the Expo and will spend Thursday at the parks. We’ll be riding HM several times!

Thsf was my approach last Expo - lots of smaller panels, rather than any of the major panels. There are always articles and bloggers with the info out of the major panels, and often the smaller ones get overlooked post-expo. I still find out the big announcements, and get to see some great things,

This is usually my experience. I have had some once in a lifetime experiences at the smaller panels. I may try to go to the Disney+ panel this year, just because it’s new and I’m curious. I need to get three schedule organized and laid out to figure out what I’m doing.

Just checked the park hours for DL for the week following D23 and discovered Haunted Mansion is closing Monday, Aug 26 and Hyperspace Mountain on Wednesday, Aug 28 for refurbishment. Fall hours start Monday, August 26, with both parks opening at 9 a.m. I called DL today to check on times for the Main Street Electrical Parade and was told they had not been given those times yet. Also, there will be no Tomorrowland Skyline Terrace events to watch the fireworks the week of August 26. We’re arriving Wednesday night before the Expo and will spend Thursday at the parks. We’ll be riding HM several times!

Thanks for the heads up. I need put my plans into Touring Plans. Even if I do't follow the plan, it's great with refurb info and park and show hours.

Times for MSEP have now been posted for the week following D23: 8:45 and 10:45 PM.

They are both closing to get the Halloween makeovers - Nightmare before Christmas (HM) and Halloween (SM] overlays

No Ghost Galaxy this year. Hyperspace Mountain will run through Halloween.

I've been thinking more about the coming live action/animation panel.

How in the world will they have enough time for everything??

Marvel: already announced most things at sdcc. However, Feige pointed out they didn't discuss guardians 3, and the black panther and cap marvel sequels. If they discuss those, there's 3 movies for marvel.

Lucasfilm: gotta get some buzz going about Skywalker. That's at least 1, if they don't discuss the new direction for Star wars films.

Disney: no way they don't at least discuss live action Mulan and Little mermaid. Also pretty sure they'll announce at least one if not more new films. So should we say 4 for Disney?

Disney animation: gotta discuss frozen 2. I'd also guess intros of maybe two more films? So 3.

Pixar: gotta bring up onward. Prob discuss the new soul movie and maybe announce one more? So 3.

So at my most conservative estimate that's 14 movies to intro/discuss/show trailers.

I think the animation panel at 2017 discussed 6 films.

I wonder why they decided to combine and limit themselves on time.

Marvel: already announced most things at sdcc. However, Feige pointed out they didn't discuss guardians 3, and the black panther and cap marvel sequels. If they discuss those, there's 3 movies for marvel.

Lucasfilm: gotta get some buzz going about Skywalker. That's at least 1, if they don't discuss the new direction for Star wars films.

Disney: no way they don't at least discuss live action Mulan and Little mermaid. Also pretty sure they'll announce at least one if not more new films. So should we say 4 for Disney?

Disney animation: gotta discuss frozen 2. I'd also guess intros of maybe two more films? So 3.

Pixar: gotta bring up onward. Prob discuss the new soul movie and maybe announce one more? So 3.

So at my most conservative estimate that's 14 movies to intro/discuss/show trailers.

Some of Star Wars will get discussed on Friday with the Disney+ presentation. I think that’s how they are getting away with the combined panel.

I was a little surprised by the combined panel too - but yes I'm beginning to wonder if they'll keep Marvel short and sweet because of the SDCC stuff. With only 1 Star Wars film to plug, maybe that'll give them more time. There's no afternoon panel, right - so they can let it run pretty long. IDK - I'm unlikely to get to that one anyways.

Some of Star Wars will get discussed on Friday with the Disney+ presentation. I think that’s how they are getting away with the combined panel.

It's possible. I still only counted one film to discuss for lucasfilm in my calculations.
They won't discuss Skywalker in the Disney + panel.

Possible film count for the studios panel still seems high to me.

I was a little surprised by the combined panel too - but yes I'm beginning to wonder if they'll keep Marvel short and sweet because of the SDCC stuff. With only 1 Star Wars film to plug, maybe that'll give them more time. There's no afternoon panel, right - so they can let it run pretty long. IDK - I'm unlikely to get to that one anyways.

They only discussed 1 Star wars film for d23 2017 and still filled all that time.

I think it'd be a shame if they did a shorter amount of time per film. Besides the nutcracker's time in 2017, I wasn't bored by any of the animated/live action from discussion.

I looked at the schedule for 2017. The live action panel was scheduled for 10:30-12:30. This year the panel is scheduled to start at 10:00...and maybe run until 12:30 or 1:00??

In 2017 the Parks panel started at 3:00. This year the afternoon panel (Broadway celebration) is scheduled for 3:30, which makes me think the morning panel will run until 1:00, giving them an extra hour to announce all of the films.

https://d23.com/d23-expo-marvel-news-youll-love-3000/
Not too much info. 3 new panels and the parks exhibit will feature the new marvel offerings.

DD might be interested in the drawing one. Of the bunch - the 80 years of Marvel might be the most interesting to me. (The movie one went down a notch when they announced all the movies for Phase 4 at SDCC, even if they announce Phase 5 I don't know that it's all that exciting since Phase 5 is pretty easy to guess - basically GotG3, Blade, CM2, BP2, FF, and probably a New Avengers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!