New D23 Expo Superthread! (6/24/2019)

More panels!

https://d23.com/disney-parks-experiences-and-products-d23-expo-2019/
And just like that, the hard choices get even harder! Would've loved to see Steve Thompson for the Masqureade doll signing, but I'm not missing the Studio presentation for anything

Oh damn, there's like five of those I'd like to do - but ONE that just shot to near the top of my list. Joe Rohde AND Scott Trowbridge? Oh, I'm such an Imagineer Geek.

Saturday, August 24, 3:30 p.m., Stage 28
Immersive Worlds: Bringing Stories to Life in Disney Parks—Disney Imagineers continue Walt Disney’s legacy in creating themed environments where beloved stories and characters come to life. Join Imagineers Joe Rohde and Scott Trowbridge to learn about the creative process for dreaming up and developing new Disney experiences as we invite guests to enter authentic worlds previously seen only in a film, a book, or one’s imagination.

Oh damn, there's like five of those I'd like to do - but ONE that just shot to near the top of my list. Joe Rohde AND Scott Trowbridge? Oh, I'm such an Imagineer Geek.

Saturday, August 24, 3:30 p.m., Stage 28
Immersive Worlds: Bringing Stories to Life in Disney Parks—Disney Imagineers continue Walt Disney’s legacy in creating themed environments where beloved stories and characters come to life. Join Imagineers Joe Rohde and Scott Trowbridge to learn about the creative process for dreaming up and developing new Disney experiences as we invite guests to enter authentic worlds previously seen only in a film, a book, or one’s imagination.
That one is on my short list as well.

This one looks awesome. In 2015, I stopped by the Pandora pavilion first thing and got to listen to Joe talk about the land, and its influences. I hope this means they'll be hanging around again!

I updated the Google schedule I started with the latest slew of panels. I added detailed descriptions as comments so if you hover over a panel block, you can see its full description. I'll continue to update this schedule as more info is released, but I opened up the permissions so you should be able to create a copy of this sheet if you'd like to use it as a starting point for your own custom schedule.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11m-kIbB3C3bembHY7n91dJT3CkYbNl8Q6ovpAq_S0z4/edit?usp=sharing

I updated the Google schedule I started with the latest slew of panels. I added detailed descriptions as comments so if you hover over a panel block, you can see its full description. I'll continue to update this schedule as more info is released, but I opened up the permissions so you should be able to create a copy of this sheet if you'd like to use it as a starting point for your own custom schedule.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11m-kIbB3C3bembHY7n91dJT3CkYbNl8Q6ovpAq_S0z4/edit?usp=sharing
Thank you - this is so very helpful!

I'd love to attend the Haunted Mansion panel, but it may be tough if I'm attending the live action and animation panel.
The Marc Davis panel at 5:30pm Sunday may be a nice alternative for you -

Sunday, August 25, 5:30 p.m., Stage 28
Marc Davis in His Own Words – Imagineering the Disney Theme Park—Authors Pete Docter and Christopher Merritt reveal their magnificent two-volume tribute to the artwork and career of Disney Legend Marc Davis. Featuring artwork from Marc for the creation of the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland, the presentation will also highlight the 50th anniversary of the storied attraction.

Sunday, August 25, 5:30 p.m., Stage 28
Marc Davis in His Own Words – Imagineering the Disney Theme Park—Authors Pete Docter and Christopher Merritt reveal their magnificent two-volume tribute to the artwork and career of Disney Legend Marc Davis. Featuring artwork from Marc for the creation of the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland, the presentation will also highlight the 50th anniversary of the storied attraction.

It would be but unfortunately I don't think we'll be hanging around the Expo for very long on Sunday afternoon. We originally didn't plan on attending at all on Sunday in favor of an extra day in the parks until they threw the Parks & Resorts presentation into the morning of that day. We have a 3:50 PM lunch reservation to make at the park, so we'll probably have to start heading out of the convention center around 2:50 PM or so, I'd imagine...

Short of some earth-shattering event on Sunday, I don't think we'll be willing to shift our plans around to extend our day on Sunday. Really we are only there for Parks & Resorts... everything else done on Sunday is just gravy... perhaps the Saturday HM panel won't be impossible to get into afterwards?? Idk...

perhaps the Saturday HM panel won't be impossible to get into afterwards?? Idk
It looks like there should be about half an hour between the Studios and HM panels...could be a tight timeline.

I only attended one event in the Hall D23 last Expo & that was the first Alan Menken session. We could not sit where we wanted, the CMs directed us to specific rows and seats to fill the hall, so I couldn’t pick to sit closer to the back for a quick exit. It was not full, and it still took longer than I’d expected to get out as we were sent out different doors & up some stairs to exit, and speed was somewhat restricted by all of those in front of me. We ended up in an entirely new section of the center, a far back corner (I was sitting to the right of the stage about half way back). The Arena will be at the opposite end of the center, so you will need to cross the entire show floor to get to HM.

It is probably doable if you are not too close to the front in the studio panel, but you will be one of the last in the HM panel. I’d suggest scoping it out Friday find out where Hall D23 exits and figure out the best path to get to the Arena. You may also want to consider leaving the studio panel 5 min early, if that is possible, to get a bit ahead of the exit stream.

Maybe someone who attended one of the busier Hall D23 panels can provide better tips for you on making it work.

Unfortunately I'm only attending Friday and Saturday; planning to be in the parks on Sunday. It'll be an interesting panel nonetheless.

perhaps the Saturday HM panel won't be impossible to get into afterwards?? Idk...

The only way I can see how someone could attend both panels would be to get Stagepass (if offered) for the HM panel, and then, if possible, leave the studios panel a little early.

Very nice spreadsheet!

If still a bit depressing, because of all the conflicts already.

I'm almost wondering if it wouldn't be worth skipping the big Movies panel (I'm just going to call it Movies from now on, it's shorter) and go to the Simpsons and Haunted Mansion instead. It will be very tempting to do just that if I can't somehow finagle a reserved spot for Movies.

I'm almost wondering if it wouldn't be worth skipping the big Movies panel (I'm just going to call it Movies from now on, it's shorter) and go to the Simpsons and Haunted Mansion instead. It will be very tempting to do just that if I can't somehow finagle a reserved spot for Movies.

Since both Simpsons and HM are so tempting, skipping Movies isn't that bad of an idea. A lot of conflicts can be bad, but that also means that there are a lot of good panels.

Re transportation to the Convention Center: how early does the ART start running and does it operate a normal schedule for the Expo? Meaning, should we plan on Uber/Lyft in the morning, if we want to arrive at the Expo by say 8 AM? (I know, I know, we need to arrive EARLY - but there’s only one major morning panel on our “must” list, and I’m hoping to get a reservation for it!) Coming from Peacock Suites BTW.

Since both Simpsons and HM are so tempting, skipping Movies isn't that bad of an idea. A lot of conflicts can be bad, but that also means that there are a lot of good panels.
Thsf was my approach last Expo - lots of smaller panels, rather than any of the major panels. There are always articles and bloggers with the info out of the major panels, and often the smaller ones get overlooked post-expo. I still find out the big announcements, and get to see some great things,

So I just went to buy my park tickets. Since we arriving on Sunday 8/18, the D23 ticket doesn't work for us. I went on "Tickets at Work" and Disneyland is having a summer sale, and I was able to get a 5-day park hopper for only $355+ tax. D23 is charging $340+ tax, but the tickets gets the EE, so happy I'm only paying a few bucks more than D23 and still get EE.

Reading through your replies and feeling less nervous about attending for the first time. Thank you! Specifically for Friday and the D23 Gold Pass lines to see the Legends and Disney+ panels; what's your experience or expectation? How early does one need to get in the Gold line? Do gatekeepers allow all Gold holders in or is there a cut off? Is it possible to attend both or should I pick one? (I don't plan on doing shopping btw).

Even though I created my own, yours is more helpful because you broke it down by day and space...thank you @maichan!

Still some Archives Stage gaps, hoping for a few more interesting things there...

Gold section usually filled very early and was quite limited. Possible it would be full an hour or even two, before a typical presentation, and of course for Live Action, may hours before. But, it was non existent for most panels.

As far as doing Studios and HM panels, probably not possible. Mostly because Studios panels notoriously run over in time. And even if you had a Showpass, that section would load into the Arena earlier than you could get there, I think. It takes awhile to load Hall D23 and the Arena. They start early.

As far as the dash from Hall D23 to the Arena, you do not actually need to run thru the Show floor, you would be trying to go thru the lobby area outside the show floor. Which normally is not too congested mid day, but it is on opposite side as others have pointed out. I have done a dash from one panel to another myself. Easier to do as a party of 1 for sure, I am often alone for panels while my friends do other things.

I think seeing Legends and Disney+ will be quite possible. Watch Twitter for line info, people post updates as the lines fill up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter