New Credit Card Authorization Holds

Personally, I will be using a debit card that only has as much money on it as I am planning on spending that also doesn't charge any overdraft fees, so if they try to double dip on the authorizations, they will quickly find out that they can't do so.

So, does that $100 show only as pending on your credit card? And if you stay multiple days and they do a hold of $100 per day will it still be just pending on credit card or will they use that $100 to pay on your bill everyday? I know when we buy gas and pay at the pump there is always a $1 pending on our credit card and that is eventually replaced with the full amount. We normally charge back to the room and this time I will pay most of it by GC on the last night.

Personally, I will be using a debit card that only has as much money on it as I am planning on spending that also doesn't charge any overdraft fees, so if they try to double dip on the authorizations, they will quickly find out that they can't do so.
My assumption is that if they can't get the hold to go through they will suspend your charging privileges until you connect a different card to your account.

So, does that $100 show only as pending on your credit card? And if you stay multiple days and they do a hold of $100 per day will it still be just pending on credit card or will they use that $100 to pay on your bill everyday? I know when we buy gas and pay at the pump there is always a $1 pending on our credit card and that is eventually replaced with the full amount. We normally charge back to the room and this time I will pay most of it by GC on the last night.
In your example, the $1 charge is edited to the amount of the actual charge. However, this can only be done same day.

Disney will charge the card once every 5 days (and at checkout). So, all the holds from previous days can’t be used for the actual charge. So, all the previous holds will just disappear in a few days or so, and not convert to actual charges.

The actual charges will be new authorizations, and not from previous days holds.

They are sending all room charges through on day 5. Waiting until the last night on trips longer than 5 days will no longer work.

My assumption is that if they can't get the hold to go through they will suspend your charging privileges until you connect a different card to your account.
If that happens due to this insane policy, then things won't get bought, there is nothing that is absolutely essential at Disney World.

They are sending all room charges through on day 5. Waiting until the last night on trips longer than 5 days will no longer work.
Why not simply add the Gift Card at the start of your trip? We have done this numerous times in the past and any creidt left over either ends up back on the gift card or refunded to the credit/debit card on file, we have had both ways happen.

In your example, the $1 charge is edited to the amount of the actual charge. However, this can only be done same day.

Disney will charge the card once every 5 days (and at checkout). So, all the holds from previous days can’t be used for the actual charge. So, all the previous holds will just disappear in a few days or so, and not convert to actual charges.

The actual charges will be new authorizations, and not from previous days holds.
The way most hotels handle this is they have the ability to place a "hold void" (exact name varies), basically the hold will remain, but there will also be a pending refund in the same dollar amount to cancel the hold out. The instant the hold drops off, the hold void/refund also drops off so the balance remains the same.

Why Disney isn't following standard practice is beyond me.

I’d assume it will work this way too.

If that happens due to this insane policy, then things won't get bought, there is nothing that is absolutely essential at Disney World.

It’s not insane, it’s how many many hotels work. I’ve had holds of a few hundred dollars on my cards before and they often stay up to a few days after check out.

I asked when I checked in if I could load Disney gift cards and was informed they do not do that. When did you do this recently. How did you do this ? And did you do on line check in with a credit card on file.
They don't allow loading of gift cards onto accounts.

It’s not insane, it’s how many many hotels work. I’ve had holds of a few hundred dollars on my cards before and they often stay up to a few days after check out.
It is insane, I have never had a hotel put $100 hold, then once I charge the first $100 put another hold for $200, then once I charged another $100, put a new hold for $300, which according to the reports above is what they are doing.

I have no problems putting a $100 hold, then once I have charged $100, putting another $100 hold on and then after going through that, another $100 hold, that makes sense and is what most hotels do, this would result in $300 worth of holds, what Disney is doing would result in $500 worth of holds, there is a very large difference here and over a long vacation will amount to a very large difference, so yes, I stand by the idea that their policy, as currently implemented, is insane. Follow standard industry practice and either do as above or as I previously mentioned with the "hold voids" and this won't be an issue, but as presently implemented they are not following industry standards.

But since we will be on the dining plan, then if they suspend charging to the room because they went over the limit due to how they are placing the holds, then it simply means we won't be spending money in the parks at that point.

Last edited:
I asked when I checked in if I could load Disney gift cards and was informed they do not do that. When did you do this recently. How did you do this ? And did you do on line check in with a credit card on file.
There was indeed a credit card on file, but I have always just gone to the front desk at check in and said I want to apply these gift cards as credit on my account, same as if I went on a cruise, although there you have to go to guest services after getting on board, but still the same basic procedure.

And end of January this year recent enough? This was on a DVC stay, not sure if that makes a difference or not, but I don't see why it would in this case.

Last edited:
There was indeed a credit card on file, but I have always just gone to the front desk at check in and said I want to apply these gift cards as credit on my account, same as if I went on a cruise, although there you have to go to guest services after getting on board, but still the same basic procedure.

Then it must depend on the CM you get. I have tried this every trip for the past 6 years and have been told it's not allowed any longer after being able to do it for all trips prior. Friends of ours just checked in today and tried to load Gift Cards because of this new policy and were also told it's not allowed. I think you're the first person I've seen post here that has been successful. Not doubting you at all, just stating that your experiences have been the exception and not the norm.

Maybe it is in how you say it? I explain that I want it applied as credit on the room that will get refunded to the gift card if anything is left over.

Maybe it is in how you say it? I explain that I want it applied as credit on the room that will get refunded to the gift card if anything is left over.

Yeah, exactly how we used to ask when they would do it and how I have asked every time since. The CMs all know what I'm talking about, but say it's not allowed. The CMs that have been around for a long time all say, "sorry I remember when we used to be able to do that but not any more".

It is insane, I have never had a hotel put $100 hold, then once I charge the first $100 put another hold for $200, then once I charged another $100, put a new hold for $300, which according to the reports above is what they are doing.

I have no problems putting a $100 hold, then once I have charged $100, putting another $100 hold on and then after going through that, another $100 hold, that makes sense and is what most hotels do, this would result in $300 worth of holds, what Disney is doing would result in $500 worth of holds, there is a very large difference here and over a long vacation will amount to a very large difference, so yes, I stand by the idea that their policy, as currently implemented, is insane. Follow standard industry practice and either do as above or as I previously mentioned with the "hold voids" and this won't be an issue, but as presently implemented they are not following industry standards.

But since we will be on the dining plan, then if they suspend charging to the room because they went over the limit due to how they are placing the holds, then it simply means we won't be spending money in the parks at that point.

I wonder why the hold policy would end your spending. It will end how I choose to spend while in Disney, but my budget is the same whether I charge back to the room or pay as I go. Are you saying that if you cannot charge back to the room without holds applied, you will simply not shop etc?

I have read accounts from guests who charged back more than they had available, so I believe that Disney had finally reached their threshold for bad accounts. I do not blame them, but I have chosen to just avoid any unpleasant consequences over holds policy.

I wonder why the hold policy would end your spending. It will end how I choose to spend while in Disney, but my budget is the same whether I charge back to the room or pay as I go. Are you saying that if you cannot charge back to the room without holds applied, you will simply not shop etc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter