New computer advice

Silver saucer

DIS Veteran
I need to buy a new PC.
I usually have bought the most inexpensive laptop that I can get. I have had a HP and an ASUS in the last couple years. I only use them for surfing, streaming movies, you tube, etc. This year though I do about 5 or so Zoom/ Telegram type meetings a week. So no gaming or anything.
I have run into the same issues on all my inexpensive computers. They freeze during the online meetings. They freeze while surfing the web. They spend alot of time buffering while trying to watch movies, You tube etc. Often a reboot is required which can take upwards of 5-10 minutes! Then they die for good.
I am NOT tech savvy.
So, would buying a more expensive Laptop help any of these issues? Costco have a couple on sale for around $700.
I know that you often get what you pay for. Im willing to spend the money if I need to. I also know that PCs can cost a whole lot more than 700-800 bucks but I really can't go much more.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

I'm not techy, either. I usually get my husband's hand-me-down as far as tablets. I was very happy w/ Microsoft's Surface and got very spoiled w/ the detachable keyboard and touchscreen. My only complaint is that the power cords didn't seem to last very long, and when the Surface became too "old," the cord was hard to find. We had a desktop for almost 10 years that worked very well. I don't remember what it was called, but it had a cool alien design on the tower. Just before covid, my husband replaced it w/ what I think is a Microsoft. The brains seem to be in a small box, and the screen is touchscreen, so I'm happy about that.

Long story, short, I think you need to spend the money if you want some kind of reliability. You and I seem to use our computers in similar ways, but I never had problems w/ my computers when they get old. I don't know how much they cost originally, but I know my husband will pay for quality. Good luck. I hope someone more knowledgeable will chime in w/ some advice.

I'm not "techy" and I haven't bought a computer in a few years, but when I do, it always does well and lasts me for years. I always make sure to buy the latest Intel Processor, i7 or i9, for instance. I buy the highest RAM and SSD sizes I can comfortably afford. By doing that, I've had my laptops last a VERY long time. Granted, they won't be cheap by doing this so you'll need to decide if that's worth it to you. It sounds like it might be based on your experiences.

I'm not "techy" and I haven't bought a computer in a few years, but when I do, it always does well and lasts me for years. I always may sure to buy the latest Intel Processor (i7 or i9, for instance. I buy the highest RAM and SSD sizes I can comfortably afford. By doing that, I've had my laptops last a VERY long time. Granted, they won't be cheap by doing this so you'll need to decide if that's worth it to you. It sounds like it might be based on your experiences.

I was going to say the same thing. IMO, buying the cheapest computer is penny wise, but pound foolish. It will be out of date and unable to keep up with newer technologies and will need to be replaced much sooner. My computers last me years.

A couple friends and I just chipped in together to replace a friend's boat-anchor dinosaur cheap computer. Her computer would take literally a full minute to populate a webpage. It was only a couple of years old. We bought her this one: https://www.costco.com/hp-17.3"-tou...i7-1165g7---windows-11.product.100804716.html from Costco.

I stick with Thinkpads with SSDs. They're built very well and last. You'll pay more upfront, but you'll have less problems in the future.

I gave up on laptops years ago. I use an iPad Pro 12.9 inch with Magic Keyboard exclusively - for all the same things you mentioned. Have not had any problems with it at all. Maybe check it out when you’re looking. I did the same thing, and once I saw it, that was it. Very easy to use, too, once you get the hang of it. There are tutorials.

1656878275190.jpeg

Some of the problems you are describing could relate to your internet service provider. Do you have high speed internet service into your home? Do you use a router and run wifi or connect directly to the modem? Connecting directly to the modem usually results in faster speed. The further away you are from your router, the speed can also drop. Where the router is located in your home can impact the speed you get in different rooms. Even with a new computer, you will still have those issues. A pricey new PC won't solve your issue if poor internet speed is the real problem. That is where I would start. There are some online program you can run to test the speed of your internet connection. Do you regularly update your PC with software patches/revisions? Sometimes updates fix known problems people might be experiencing.

For the functions you described, I don't think you need to buy a pricey high-end PC. Laptop vs desktop might be something to check out based on how you plan to use it and if the ability to be portable is ever required. I would go to the website from major brands like HP or Dell and compare features, screen size, etc. to see what fits your needs. There is no guarantee a pricey computer is going to last any longer then a less expensive one. Buy the PC that best fits your needs.

Apple vs Microsoft is mostly a matter of personal preference. I have always used Microsoft products and find they work fine for me. Most comparable Apple products will be more expensive just because they have better brand recognition. Switching back and forth can be confusing for the casual user since Apple seems to purposely have different features/functionality. I know when we had both at work, people who weren't very computer savvy always found it cumbersome trying to use both.

We are a Lenovo family. Laptops, PCs and my little Yoga. Hubby is a Tech Security Officer for a company of about 300 and before that he was the manager of the tech division of the company I work for. I don't like, or need, a big laptop. All I need is to have access to the internet, be able to watch Utube, etc. My little Yoga doesn't have a CD drive and is only like 11" and light weight. Hubby has a big ole Thinkpad for personal use and another one for work. He has a Lenovo server and a Lenovo PC with two huge monitors that he works on in our downstairs (basement) office. He does zoom meetings on that. I have an old as the hills Lenovo PC that I brought from my office when I went to working part time at home. I'm talking so old it was actually one of our client's who bought new ones and my boss re-purposed it for me. When I brought it home it took Hubby about 6 hours of re-doing everything my boss had either done wrong or shoddy. I'm the bookkeeper so we don't get the nice things.

I did buy my son a Dell PC a few years ago but it was for gaming.

Many of the problems you mention may be due to the wireless network you are using. Since COVID sent people home our network environment has seen a huge uptick in usage, but nothing has been done to increase capacity in most cases. You have more people using the network resources for longer periods of time and this will often cause outages.

Some of the problems you are describing could relate to your internet service provider. Do you have high speed internet service into your home? Do you use a router and run wifi or connect directly to the modem? Connecting directly to the modem usually results in faster speed. The further away you are from your router, the speed can also drop. Where the router is located in your home can impact the speed you get in different rooms. Even with a new computer, you will still have those issues. A pricey new PC won't solve your issue if poor internet speed is the real problem. That is where I would start. There are some online program you can run to test the speed of your internet connection. Do you regularly update your PC with software patches/revisions? Sometimes updates fix known problems people might be experiencing.
I agree. I would check your internet service first. I am using a hotspot right now because the regular internet providers here are slim pickings and not reliable. I get a set amount of data at 4G, then if I go over, the remainder of the month is unlimited 2G speeds. The difference between the two is night and day (fortunately I don’t go over too often). When I am on 2G, videos buffer forever, and any kind of video call doesn’t work at all. When it’s 4G, I can do anything I want and there isn’t any buffering. So before you commit to spending a lot on a new computer, only to maybe have the same issues, I would check your internet. You might not need a new computer right now at all!

I agree. I would check your internet service first. I am using a hotspot right now because the regular internet providers here are slim pickings and not reliable. I get a set amount of data at 4G, then if I go over, the remainder of the month is unlimited 2G speeds. The difference between the two is night and day (fortunately I don’t go over too often). When I am on 2G, videos buffer forever, and any kind of video call doesn’t work at all. When it’s 4G, I can do anything I want and there isn’t any buffering. So before you commit to spending a lot on a new computer, only to maybe have the same issues, I would check your internet. You might not need a new computer right now at all!

I think, the OP might have a hard drive, rather than a SSD. This is problematic for windows 10 and above these days.

Thank you everyone for your replies. They have given me alot to think about.
Although I think my computer has some big issues, I think my ISP is the biggest problem and I can't do much about that. I live in a smallish rural town and there isn't much choice for providers. Also after asking around, these are common issues.
So, I will live with things as they are for now.
Thanks again!!!

Thank you everyone for your replies. They have given me alot to think about.
Although I think my computer has some big issues, I think my ISP is the biggest problem and I can't do much about that. I live in a smallish rural town and there isn't much choice for providers. Also after asking around, these are common issues.
So, I will live with things as they are for now.
Thanks again!!!
See if T-mobile fixed wireless internet is in your area yet. I'm in a big city, but supposedly they're rolling out to rural areas pretty quickly as well. We switched a month ago from our awful cable provider and it was the best decision we could have made.

Also, I bit the bullet last year and bought a gaming computer. Dell G7 with an i7, a GeForce graphics card and both an SSD and a hard drive. Pricey, but it cleared up all my hardware issues.

I also use an IPAD and have never had any issues with it. Yes, Apple products are pricey, but we have never had a single problem with any of our devices. We also have bought from their refurbished store and basically get a new device with the same warranty and save money in the process. Highly recommend.

Before spending a lot on a new windows laptop. I would try a very inexpensive Chromebook. You can usually get them for $100-$150 that would be a vast improvement over a bottom tier windows machine. I made the switch a couple years ago and now almost never use my windows desktop or laptop. I can do Teams, Zoom, most web pages with no issues. Sometimes pages take a little bit to load, like 10 seconds, but it's been great for the price I paid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter