New AK Ride In The Works

You're in car 3 because of someone's preference?
Mr. Tracks!! Please!! Now it’s you’re turn to send in one of those, “I read a little too fast” posts. (unless there’s some sarcastic humor there that I didn’t catch. Sometimes I’m not too quick!!) :crazy:

I am in car #3 because the current management allowed Universal to catch up with them in every market segment!! I’m in car #3 because although Disney certainly had (and I stress the word had) the resources and the talent to capture, and captivate Planogirl’s 4th grade child and snare that young mind to Disney forever, they chose instead to go after the fast buck. I am in car #3 because Disney’s current regime just doesn’t put forth the effort it takes to secure long term loyalty through exceeding expectations and simply WOWing them into submission!

Just because someone doesn’t like the pixie dust doesn’t mean you have to have a hissy fit and say Disney should build more dark rides, since that's what everyone really wants, and build more monorials, since everyone wants to ride those too.
And just for the record I have NEVER said that Disney needed more dark rides. The closest I ever came to a stance like that is saying that Disney is dangerously close to having too many “Adult” only and “Kid” only rides. Also, I never said they needed more monorails (although I personally don’t think it would hurt). What I want to see is innovative transportation. So innovative in fact, that if I could think of the concept, it isn’t nearly innovative enough!!! Does that make sense?

Originally posted by DVC-Landbaron
I am in car #3 because the current management allowed Universal to catch up with them in every market segment!! I’m in car #3 because although Disney certainly had (and I stress the word had) the resources and the talent to capture, and captivate Planogirl’s 4th grade child and snare that young mind to Disney forever, they chose instead to go after the fast buck.

And where did those out-of-work Imagineers go?.....One guess....and it starts with the word Universal....

That's part of the reason why IOA is so amazing, along with the input and design from Steven Spielberg.

So I agree that Disney should either build as many dark rides for families as thrill rides, or make more thrilling family rides, without making it a "spin'n'puke" attraction.

One thing to note is that you need much less theming for a ride going 50mph than one going 5mph. Less theming=less imagineers=less cost.

On Average, rollercoasters cost between $3-$20 million. ToT probably cost $100 million.

I will be really intrigued to find out how they would use $125 million on a rollercoaster.

Then again Universal seems to be making a huge deal out of the new Mummy attraction which is also a rollercoaster. Maybe we'll be surpised by both. Can they include theming and a rollercoaster at the same time, without being like RnRC?

Can they include theming and a rollercoaster at the same time, without being like RnRC?

That's an intriguing thought Chris. A coaster like the one you descibed would need to have the ability to brake at certain points and be able to cruise at low speeds through certain segments in order to take in the various details and/or storyline, then shift into high gear at a moments notice. At speeds as high as 55mph(as Eisner eluded to at the meeting), it's simply never been done before. If the budget exceeds $100 million however I think it would be safe to assume that Disney is going for something truly unique.

Mr. Tracks!! Please!! Now it’s you’re turn to send in one of those, “I read a little too fast” posts. (unless there’s some sarcastic humor there that I didn’t catch. Sometimes I’m not too quick!!)
Sheesh, my good Baron. Either you have read too quickly again, or you have completely lost your sense of humor :confused:.

As for the statement about Universal completely catching up in "every market segment" - well that just proves you've completely gone off the deep end. Read that one as fast or as slow as you like, it is true either way ;).

Originally posted by lrodk
That's an intriguing thought Chris. A coaster like the one you descibed would need to have the ability to brake at certain points and be able to cruise at low speeds through certain segments in order to take in the various details and/or storyline, then shift into high gear at a moments notice. At speeds as high as 55mph(as Eisner eluded to at the meeting), it's simply never been done before. If the budget exceeds $100 million however I think it would be safe to assume that Disney is going for something truly unique.

Luckily, with the advent of launched rollercoasters, it is becoming easier and easier to do something like that. There are already some coasters with more than one launch during the ride...and they could make it where you see a show scene, then launch to 30-40 mph, then do some dives, etc. then slow it down again for another show scene....could be really interesting.

Sheesh, my good Baron. Either you have read too quickly again, or you have completely lost your sense of humor
Where? Where is the humor? I'm not truing to be obtuse. I really don't see it. Evidently HB2K didn't see it either. So we're both dense.

OK! Let us in on the joke. Spell it out. What was the intent of the post?

A coaster like the one you descibed would need to have the ability to brake at certain points and be able to cruise at low speeds through certain segments in order to take in the various details and/or storyline, then shift into high gear at a moments notice.
THAT would be cool!!!!!!

Where? Where is the humor? I'm not truing to be obtuse. I really don't see it. Evidently HB2K didn't see it either. So we're both dense.

OK! Let us in on the joke. Spell it out. What was the intent of the post?
Either we are talking about two entirely different things, or you have lost me. Either way, sorry :wave:.

ps. I assumed your “I read a little too fast” post was in reference to my post.........
Psst..........................Baron.........................you ALWAYS read too fast Now if you'd just cool the engines* a bit you might actually make some sense...............Finally!!!
..........but I must have been wrong, or else you are making much ado about nothing :(. I don't see an HB2K comment regarding this post, but maybe I read too quickly ;). Anywhoo...............I hearby recant my (unsuccessfully) lighthearted (and multiple smilied) attempt to needle my friend about why he is often so WRONG!!!!! Oh well, over and out........................

pss...........unless you want to talk about meaningful things like "every market segment". With regard to that you couldn't be more WRONG!!!!

Originally posted by DisneyKidds
Either we are talking about two entirely different things, or you have lost me. Either way, sorry :wave:.

ps. I assumed your “I read a little too fast” post was in reference to my post.........

..........but I must have been wrong, or else you are making much ado about nothing :(. I don't see an HB2K comment regarding this post, but maybe I read too quickly ;). Anywhoo...............I hearby recant my (unsuccessfully) lighthearted (and multiple smilied) attempt to needle my friend about why he is often so WRONG!!!!! Oh well, over and out........................

pss...........unless you want to talk about meaningful things like "every market segment". With regard to that you couldn't be more WRONG!!!!
That made no sense...

And to sum it all up, this all brings me into the car I'm in because it didn't have to be this way. By Disney deciding that they no longer have to strive for excellence, by settling for what the other guy is doing, they encourage their customer base to see what the other guy is doing.

I disagree - somewhat here.

Disney held the monopoly for years - they controlled every facet of theme park construction at WDW by owning thier own little municipality. This gave them a great initial advantage.

UO was not simply a concept, it was to be their closest competition and they knew it was coming years ago. There is no way they could have prevented it. The only thing they could have done was try and stall it as long as possible. Which is in essence what happened.

Disney did not hold the monopoly on the motion picture industry and could not stop the money the competition had to invest in the themepark market using cutting edge advancements in technology. They could only continue to finance and participate in similar future prospects. They failed in one common thread - they thought their "patent" on mickey would be enough to continually dominate this industry. But just like everything else, Mickey Mouse got older and made less of an impression to each new generation.

Families today have more experience with Disney than any other theme park. They are ready to see more in this industry - and UO delivered. It is a ripe market and the customer base will continually respond.

That made no sense...
Then please tell me what the heck Baron is talking about :confused:. Maybe I have been reading too quickly and I missed something :crazy:.

Baron seems to have his nose out of joint and I'm trying to ascertain if it is over something I said, something I thought he alluded to. I could be wrong. I'd really like to know. I was ribbing him, in a joking kind of way, about always being wrong (did you ever notice he and I don't always agree on things ;)) and that it could be due to his admitted propensity ;) (see the smiley - don't get your undies in a wad) to 'read too fast'. It was harmless and not intended to offend him. He and I used to be able to joke around like that. It appears as though it may have offended him, so I 'apologized'. I'm still trying to figure out if that was needed, or if he is talking about somethiing entirely different.
Evidently HB2K didn't see it either.
Again - what is he talking about :confused:. I didn't see you weigh in on my comment, or maybe you did and I missed it?

Baron, if it helps, I will apologise as well, but I sincerely hope you are wrong about the ride; I may be edging into car 2 by saying that I agree budget cuts will probably have an effect. I hope it will be minimal, the ride sounds way cool!

BTW, I can't wait for the remake of AE at MK...from what I heard it will give Stitch fans a big thrill. I also heard that Space Mountain was going to get him added in.

I Guess with Fedex gone....

:bounce:

Originally posted by Testtrack321
You're in car 3 because of someone's preference? People prefer to be neo-Nazi, but that dosn't make them right or cuase the whole world to come crashing down. Just becaue someone dosn't like the pixie dust dosn't mean you have to have a hissy fit and say Disney should build more dark rides, since that's what everyone really wants, and build more monorials, since everyone wants to ride those too.

Kidds,

This is the post I replied to, and I'm guessing this is the one that has the Baron's "nose out of joint".

This is the post I replied to, and I'm guessing this is the one that has the Baron's "nose out of joint".
Thanks HB :). That does help - and Baron and I are talking about two different things :crazy:. Baron thought I was saying that there was humor in the TT321 post you referenced, and that you and he didn't see it. All the while I thought Baron didn't think my 'You read too fast' post (the one he alluded to) was all that funny ha ha. Sorry I confused the issue. I guess I really was reading too fast :tongue:.

Oh well, back OT...................................

Originally posted by lrodk
This idea intrigues me, and I have been thinking about it for at least a year. (Way too much disposable time).

Now, combine your ideas of a coaster that launches quickly and slows down for e-ticket type scenes with the ability to rotate the car, like in SSE.

Using this system, think what RnRC could have been:

You initially launch as the current ride does, through the first loops, but then begin to slow down. It’s dark, you slowly pull into a banked curve and the train stops. The cars rotate 90 degrees (so that you are sitting facing sideways relative to the train). The lights come on, and you are in an arena, at an Aerosmith concert. Steven Tyler is on stage, screaming away. You hear about 20 seconds of that song, when your car rotates again 90 degrees so that you are now facing backward relative to the train. You begin to launch again (forwards for the train, but backwards for you), Steven looks up at you and says, “Hey, where you guys goin’? I’m not done yet!!”. A couple of inverted loops backwards, then maybe stop for parking on Mullhuland (sp?) Drive. A whole new meaning is established for “Love in a Rollercoaster”.

Think about all of the potential for a ride system like this. I’m no imagineer, but there could be a lot of applications for something like this.

My post was never to be humorous. It was serious. Disney can't 'wow' everyone and some just prefer other places, no matter how many hours are brought back, rides opened, or other things.

Originally posted by Testtrack321
My post was never to be humorous. It was serious. Disney can't 'wow' everyone and some just prefer other places, no matter how many hours are brought back, rides opened, or other things.

But many wouldn't even give the other guy a chance if Disney didn't give them a reason to. That's the epitome of my stance anyway.

Baron, if it helps, I will apologize as well, but I sincerely hope you are wrong about the ride;
There is no need for anyone to apologize!! And for the record, I can’t be wrong about the ride, as I have stated no opinion one way or the other (other than a “that would be cool” comment to ChrisFL and lrodk regarding their conversation)!!

I know that some would automatically think I would dismiss it, but I don’t. All I’m saying is that it is my personal experience that people who listen to early Disney rumors get burned very badly more often than not! Be careful not to get your hopes up too high!! I have rarely been disappointed in the concept far exceeding reality!

Mr. Kidds!!!
Baron thought I was saying that there was humor in the TT321 post you referenced, and that you and he didn't see it.
YES!!!! My goodness!! That’s why I use soooooo many quotes!! And still there is confusion!! I guess I need to use even MORE quotes in every post!! :crazy:

But Scoop, with cutbacks it would be the "Walk out into the center of the Ice wearing sneakers because I couldn't afford new skates after airport security confiscated them. :eek:

:bounce:

So is Forbidden Mt. another name for Everest? and what is Excavator? I do agree that AK could do with another e-ticket ride since they toned Dinosaur down and Kali is fun but not very high on the excitment factor for us teens. Will Everest be going upside down..because i have read on sites that there will be "two inverted turns outside the MT." I have seen the picture of the model on the internet and the turns just look like they are very sharply banked. (does that even make sense?) The are reports that the YETI in the MT> is supposed to be one fo the biggest anamotronics ever created..and the ride will go both forwards and backwards...hmm sounds very enticing for people on my age group. I can't wait!! :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter