Never again without a car

Opposite camp here too! Absolutely love parking my car at the airport and not getting behind the wheel for a full week! No watching signs, following maps, sitting in traffic. Have never had any major issues and this past stay at WL was AMAZING as far as transportation goes.

To me, the thought of driving to a parking lot, getting on a tram, then getting on a boat---no thanks! And going in August, there's nothing better than stepping into a cool bus at the end of a long, hot day. Would not want to climb into a car that's been sitting in that sun all day!

But that's just us. And the more people taking their own cars, the fewer on the buses!

For us, I typically don't mind Disney transport to & from the (4) major parks (although I like having the choice)...it's everywhere else where having a car is a must - Water Parks, Disney Springs, meals at other Resorts, food shopping, SBUX/Dunkin runs, etc, etc. I have always been able to get an Chevy Impala-type car for approx. $200 for our typical 10-day stay...best $200 bucks I spend at WDW, IMO!

I have done a short stay without a car, but I would really miss having a car on longer stays. I would be bonkers after 2 weeks without a car.

We had the same thing happen to us on our 1st onsite trip. Took 4 busses to get out of Downtown Disney and even then I was left standing with a sleeping 3 year old in my arms. We nearly toppled over many times. We ended up booking a rental car that night and have never looked back. A rental car is now a must. Plus, it has allowed us to venture outside the bubble and we have definitely found some gems in the area - restaurants, activities, etc.

I guess it all depends if you are taking a "Disney" vacation or a "Florida" (or California) vacation.

Up until about 10 years ago we took the "Disney" vacation and spent the week visiting Disney Parks, restaurants, shows etc and used Disney transportation.

Then we decided to rent a car and venture outside the Disney bubble and have never looked back.

Our vacations have switched to the "Florida" type vacation now and a rental car is a necessity for this.
Sure we still visit Disney, usually from 1-4 days. Spend a day or 2 at Universal, Seaworld, Busch Gardens. Spend a couple of days at the beach, take in some local attractions/festivals, venture out on an airboat into the Everglades, explore South Beach, visit the Keys or take a cruise.

Which vacation "type" is your preference?

I would imagine it depends on where we're staying. We're doing OKW for the first time in December, which worries me a little. We have never rented cars in the past. Even AKV hasn't been that bad.

I definitely would not rent a car staying at a monorail resort. However, staying at a value or maybe even a moderate, I would strongly consider it.

We have wanted to really like the buses and depend on them but our experiences have many times been the opposite.

I guess it all depends if you are taking a "Disney" vacation or a "Florida" (or California) vacation.

Up until about 10 years ago we took the "Disney" vacation and spent the week visiting Disney Parks, restaurants, shows etc and used Disney transportation.

Then we decided to rent a car and venture outside the Disney bubble and have never looked back.

Our vacations have switched to the "Florida" type vacation now and a rental car is a necessity for this.
Sure we still visit Disney, usually from 1-4 days. Spend a day or 2 at Universal, Seaworld, Busch Gardens. Spend a couple of days at the beach, take in some local attractions/festivals, venture out on an airboat into the Everglades, explore South Beach, visit the Keys or take a cruise.

Which vacation "type" is your preference?
I'm not sure there really is just two types of vacations for that area. Some people only do WDW or Universal, some do a mixture of both, some spend time at Seaworld too or Discovery Cove, some add a day or more to go down to Busch Gardens.

For me if I'm in Orlando I'm going to both Disney and Universal. I can't just think about spending a day or two at WDW or Universal and calling it good.

If I'm in Florida I'm going to the beach and staying at a beach location. Eventually I'd like to go back to Busch Gardens but I would make that the star of my vacation instead of taking a day from my WDW/Universal trip.

For my next trip I'm staying on Disney property with 5 days towards WDW and 3 days towards Universal, nothing arrival day and nothing departure day. I'll be far from only being in the Disney bubble despite staying on Disney property.

I'm not sure there really is just two types of vacations for that area. Some people only do WDW or Universal, some do a mixture of both, some spend time at Seaworld too or Discovery Cove, some add a day or more to go down to Busch Gardens.

For me if I'm in Orlando I'm going to both Disney and Universal. I can't just think about spending a day or two at WDW or Universal and calling it good.

If I'm in Florida I'm going to the beach and staying at a beach location. Eventually I'd like to go back to Busch Gardens but I would make that the star of my vacation instead of taking a day from my WDW/Universal trip.

For my next trip I'm staying on Disney property with 5 days towards WDW and 3 days towards Universal, nothing arrival day and nothing departure day. I'll be far from only being in the Disney bubble despite staying on Disney property.
Just saying that for an "onsite only" trip, using Disney transportation worked just fine.
Once we started going outside the "bubble" a rental car made a lot more sense for us. JMHO

Just saying that for an "onsite only" trip, using Disney transportation worked just fine.
Once we started going outside the "bubble" a rental car made a lot more sense for us. JMHO
Yeah I can agree with that for sure (my 1st post on this thread I said I never vacation, with my honeymoon as the exception, without a rental car) but that wasn't quite all what you were saying in your other post which is what I was responding to.

Totally agree, OP. I find driving to be faster and more comfortable. I'm guaranteed a comfortable seat, and the only potential screaming/crying child I'll be dealing with is my own! The directional signage around Disney makes it insanely easy to get around. We've never gotten lost or found driving stressful. I much prefer it to being crowded like sardines onto a bus.

We go at slow times and stay at BWI, so we have never had any transportation issues. I want somebody else to do the driving for the week!

We go at slow times too, and have had rotten times with buses. I don't even know where the bus stop is at BW since we've never used it.

To me, the thought of driving to a parking lot, getting on a tram, then getting on a boat---no thanks! And going in August, there's nothing better than stepping into a cool bus at the end of a long, hot day. Would not want to climb into a car that's been sitting in that sun all day!

I think Ive had to take the tram at MK once. The other times we are close enough to walk. And taking the boat in to MK is lovely! Great way to enter the area. And then it's a short distance to bag check vs the slightly uphill trudge (no matter where I stay the bus is always the second to farthest away stop) to the entrance to bag check.

And the beauty of a rental car through a mainstream company is that they are new with new air conditioners that work instantly. The heaters do, too, in case you're like us and have been frozen at WDW more times than you've been overly not.

I've gotten in a freezing bus when you want a warm bus, and a hot bus when you want it cool, too often. And we don't have access to the controls.

The directional signage around Disney makes it insanely easy to get around.

So so so true.

You got very very lucky. That is not the normal experience, and I think even fans of onsite transportation would agree.

We go at slow times too, and have had rotten times with buses. I don't even know where the bus stop is at BW since we've never used it.

From these posts, and many others over time, you clearly dislike Disney transportation. Clearly that is your opinion and valid for you. But I don't think you should tell PP that they were very, very lucky in their experience. From your own posts you do not use it.
Our experience, every year for 12+ years, mimics theirs. And our opinions are as valid as yours.

You got very very lucky. That is not the normal experience, and I think even fans of onsite transportation would agree.

I'm a fan of onsite transportation, and I don't think I'd agree! We've had the same experience many times. Yes, one or two longer waits over the course of a week. And every other wait very prompt and reliable. Happens for us more often than not! Love onsite transportation---definitely one of the perks we look forward to.

We always rent a car, but will use the Disney transportation sometimes when going to a park, or the boat the DS. Having a car is great for buying groceries, grabbing medication that was forgotten, going to church, eating at an off grounds restaurant and heading to a different Florida attraction. We also love the convenience of driving right to our resort from the airport without any other stops.

Disney had a great idea by offering the Magical Express for free. Just about everyone who uses it will be 'trapped' at Disney and eat in their restaurants, go to their theme parks, water parks, miniature golf and pick up supplies in the resort store. It was a fantastic way to keep the money in Disney. I would have given the person who thought that up a huge bonus.

We will be their without a car in a few weeks but only because we are staying at the Polynesian (only going to MK and Epcot). Hope the monorail doesn't let me down!!

I refuse to go to WDW without a car. We still use Disney transportation here or there, but for the most part the car is always faster, more comfortable and guarantees we all get a seat! The parking lot is closer than some of the bus stops at most of the parks. Water parks are way easier with a car. Love being able to run to Target/Walgreens etc. With the insane dining prices now we eat some meals offsite, lots of great choices. Resort to resort is much easier. Not having to wait for ME is great on the return to the airport, we can go straight from a park. There is so much to see and do in Florida than just Disney, we have really ventured out. Split stays or staying offsite for all or part of your trip is easy with a car. We always get a great rate for rentals in Orlando. I could go on and on.

From these posts, and many others over time, you clearly dislike Disney transportation. Clearly that is your opinion and valid for you. But I don't think you should tell PP that they were very, very lucky in their experience. From your own posts you do not use it.
Our experience, every year for 12+ years, mimics theirs. And our opinions are as valid as yours.

Whenever I take my dad to WDW we have great bus service. One time at POFQ we never waited more than 5 minutes for a bus! It was so nice! I tease him that I will take him just so that I know I won't have to wait on the buses.

We had a very similar experience to you. In the morning it was a dream, because we eat super early and are on the first round of busses out of the place we also hop to another park and stay until about an hour after close and the bus is still insane. This wasn't an issue when it was just the 2 of us or even with 1 child, but as our family grew, the car that used to grow cobwebs in the parking lot after 12 days would begin to be used more and more and this year we don't even have the plan to ride the bus once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter