Negative test to be required before flying to Canada

It's about time! That should apply everywhere. For every country. And every person. No exceptions. Seriously. We are in a lockdown in Ontario and flights are coming in from everywhere and no one is enforcing the 14 day quarantine rule. Shortcuts and turning a blind are just not working. Obviously.
My son and his fiance have been in quarantine since the 23rd of December, and aside from one automated message via phone, there has been zero follow up to ensure their compliance (which, for the record, has been 100% to the letter). My husband's boss and his wife, who started their quarantine upon arrival back in Ontario in mid-December, have had a similar experience. While Canada is doing "some" follow up, I'm not sure based on our personal experiences that I'd say its "a lot". At best, it's hit and miss.
My reply is not at all challenging whether this new test requirement is necessary or not, but just wanted to say my dad had to go to Europe 3x between May and December 2020. He is a Canadian citizen. Each time he was checked on several times upon return, he also had to answer phone calls and check-in daily on a special app. My mom said someone observed their house a couple of times too. Someone he works with had a similar experience. So I don’t know about “nobody enforcing the quarantine” I think they have been enforcing it.
The test requirement may be an extra step sure, but so very few cases were travel related (according to the government) that I’m not sure how much it will help. Unfortunately (and I am a positive thinker always) I don’t see any leisure travel for anyone until Q3-Q4 2021. Praying these vaccinations work and soon.

and i also really resent the suggestion that my buying a pineapple at the grocery store is as problematic to my community as the neighbor taking a vacation.

I didn't say your purchase of a pineapple was the problem. Perhaps you should to back and re-read my reply. The problem is that SOME restrictions are imposed on SOME individuals while other people have freedom to move between countries restriction-free. And those unrestricted people are just as capable as transmitting Covid-19 as any other human being. If keeping people safe is the goal, then restrictions have to be imposed across the board or not at all.

These threads have repeatedly inferred that anyone who is traveling between countries right now is doing so for a "vacation". Now that's a suggestion that *I* resent. I am very certain there are an extremely few people contributing to these threads who truly know what its like to be separated, long-term, from their loved ones. And I'm not talking about "I can't get in to the retirement home to see Grandma" separated. I'm talking separated by a closed, guarded border with a 14-day mandatory quarantine before we can have any opportunity to reconnect with family. We can't do a drive-by and wave at my elderly mom through a window. Whether anyone wants to acknowledge the fact or not, it's a whole different ball game, and a special kind of hell that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. And one that NONE of us could have foreseen this situation when life took us stateside for work purposes many years ago. How I wish that pineapples were one of my worries!

Compassion is awesome... but during a pandemic I think people just want to know they're safe.

That's largely the point I'm trying to make.....people aren't as safe as they would like to think. As long as the supply chain is permitted to continue without restrictions, and cross-border workers are allowed to access both countries without regular testing, Covid can easily move (both ways) across the border because virus-carrying humans are continuing to move from place to place. Voluntary travel for non-employment purposes is only part of the problem.

My reply is not at all challenging whether this new test requirement is necessary or not, but just wanted to say my dad had to go to Europe 3x between May and December 2020. He is a Canadian citizen. Each time he was checked on several times upon return, he also had to answer phone calls and check-in daily on a special app. My mom said someone observed their house a couple of times too. Someone he works with had a similar experience. So I don’t know about “nobody enforcing the quarantine” I think they have been enforcing it.
The test requirement may be an extra step sure, but so very few cases were travel related (according to the government) that I’m not sure how much it will help. Unfortunately (and I am a positive thinker always) I don’t see any leisure travel for anyone until Q3-Q4 2021. Praying these vaccinations work and soon.

I don't think it was me that you intended to quote, because I never said the bolded part of your reply above. I commented that it appears to be hit or miss. I'm sure some people ARE being followed up on. I can assure you, however, that my son and his fiance are now on Day 11 of their mandatory quarantine and have yet to be contacted save for one automated voice mail message. And yes, they have been checking in daily on the app per Canadian guidlines.

I don't think it was me that you intended to quote, because I never said the bolded part of your reply above. I commented that it appears to be hit or miss. I'm sure some people ARE being followed up on. I can assure you, however, that my son and his fiance are now on Day 11 of their mandatory quarantine and have yet to be contacted save for one automated voice mail message. And yes, they have been checking in daily on the app per Canadian guidlines.
I was just highlighting our experience being so different from your son’s, my dad was checked on every time he came back, but with your son zero follow up. I’m sure that happens and not at all questioning their compliance. I think there has been more adherence to the quarantine and also follow up from the government to make sure it’s followed than not. Again not to say it doesn’t happen but based on the fact that not many cases have been travel related - let’s hope most people followed guidelines , like your son and my dad. My dad has been in quarantine now 4 x. Three related to travel and he did get covid once (not travel related) and also had to quarantine. They (my parents) also strictly adhered to the rules.

I want to make a few comments here with a big disclaimer These are MY thoughts, feelings & opinions, I'm not wanting to centre anyone out, not wanting to point fingers or cast blame even though some of you might feel that way. I apologize up front if I come across as out of line.

First and foremost I think we all are aware that this is a forum that was developed to discuss going to Disney World for pleasure, plain and simple. No one came to this website without a desire to go to Disney, talk about all things related to Disney, chat with other Disney-loving people and in this Forum specifically with fellow Canadians who love Disney.

Enter COVID-19, and like everything else it has touched (and it has touched EVERYTHING for ALL of us), it removed some of the shine, the warmth, the connection, the magic. We've all had to learn to adapt to new ways of living and most of them aren't pleasant, not much about change is. We're coming up on a year since the first cases were announced in Canada (I'm fully aware because we came thru Pearson 2 days after the first case in Ontario and it was eerie to see the level of concern of the employees in the customs hall because we landed at the same time as 2 planes from China!!) and we're all tired, on edge and most of us are a tad angry as well.

The topic of this specific thread has always been, to me at least, the fact that come January 7th it will become harder for people to take quick trips for pleasure. It never entered my mind that we would end up needing to defend what we feel belongs under the heading of essential or non-essential travelling. I got more annoyed as the thread grew and people started expressing anger over how they felt it isn't fair that they would need to take time out of a long weekend Disney trip to find a testing site, pay for the test and then wait for the results. We even had someone ask about how you can find one at an AI resort in either Mexico or the Caribbean and how that's not a reasonable expectation. The fact that people actually asked where they can find a testing site while at Disney means they ARE travelling for non-essential reasons. Sorry, a trip to a theme park that you don't work at isn't necessary, nope, not one bit.

One last comment that I feel I have every right to make is hearing people say that they need to travel to Disney for mental health reasons which makes it essential, feels like a slap in the face and a kick in the gut when I am lying on the ground in agony. I have never hidden the fact that I deal with a mental health disorder, it's clearly stated in my signature, and as we've entered yet another lockdown in our province I've been handed one more month on my sentence as such. I have not been able to have what is literally life changing (and when we discovered it, life saving!) treatments since February 14th, 2020. I was getting them once a week and the hospital i needed to go to was the first to suffer a shut down and they've not opened the clinic back up, still. I'm at the point now where I will need to go daily for 6 weeks and that's not possible during lockdown. It doesn't matter that we've found another facility that has graciously agreed to offer me treatment even though we're outside of their catchment area, they're closed for outpatient treatments. These are essential medical treatments but I can't have them right now. I have zero sympathy for people who will need to get a test to return home from a quick jaunt for a vacation that they claim is for their mental health. Before we go to Disney I need to have a ton of "booster treatments" so that my mental health won't suffer while we're away, even though the trip is good for my mood!

Off my soap box, sorry again if I offended anyone. I personally don't think this thread should have moved into what's essential and what's not -- it's about needing to get tested before boarding a plane to come home, isn't it?? Doesn't matter why you need to be on said plane.

FYI the Orlando Sentinel maintains a list of where to get tested in central FL, including links to testing finders for the broader state:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/cor...0200424-2va5l6oc7racjd3m6cziq5zika-story.html
However, actually going to some of the testing site websites kicks up a hurdle: some of the say results can take 3-5 days, which would not work for a traveler.

Doing some digging I discovered a Travel Medicine clinic in Orlando [they have other FL locations too] that offers the test for a fee with a fast turn around: https://www.passporthealthusa.com/locations/fl/orlando/covid-19-testing/ No idea how hard it is to get an appointment.

Here in Ottawa there are also Travel Medicine clinics offer private for-fee PCR covid testing for travelers with rapid turn around.

Travel Medicine clinics may be one option for travelers who need a test before coming to Canada [or, if other countries implement a similar requirement, for Canadians traveling elsewhere]. Whether they can keep up with the demand could be a problem.

I want to make a few comments here with a big disclaimer These are MY thoughts, feelings & opinions, I'm not wanting to centre anyone out, not wanting to point fingers or cast blame even though some of you might feel that way. I apologize up front if I come across as out of line.

First and foremost I think we all are aware that this is a forum that was developed to discuss going to Disney World for pleasure, plain and simple. No one came to this website without a desire to go to Disney, talk about all things related to Disney, chat with other Disney-loving people and in this Forum specifically with fellow Canadians who love Disney.

Enter COVID-19, and like everything else it has touched (and it has touched EVERYTHING for ALL of us), it removed some of the shine, the warmth, the connection, the magic. We've all had to learn to adapt to new ways of living and most of them aren't pleasant, not much about change is. We're coming up on a year since the first cases were announced in Canada (I'm fully aware because we came thru Pearson 2 days after the first case in Ontario and it was eerie to see the level of concern of the employees in the customs hall because we landed at the same time as 2 planes from China!!) and we're all tired, on edge and most of us are a tad angry as well.

The topic of this specific thread has always been, to me at least, the fact that come January 7th it will become harder for people to take quick trips for pleasure. It never entered my mind that we would end up needing to defend what we feel belongs under the heading of essential or non-essential travelling. I got more annoyed as the thread grew and people started expressing anger over how they felt it isn't fair that they would need to take time out of a long weekend Disney trip to find a testing site, pay for the test and then wait for the results. We even had someone ask about how you can find one at an AI resort in either Mexico or the Caribbean and how that's not a reasonable expectation. The fact that people actually asked where they can find a testing site while at Disney means they ARE travelling for non-essential reasons. Sorry, a trip to a theme park that you don't work at isn't necessary, nope, not one bit.

One last comment that I feel I have every right to make is hearing people say that they need to travel to Disney for mental health reasons which makes it essential, feels like a slap in the face and a kick in the gut when I am lying on the ground in agony. I have never hidden the fact that I deal with a mental health disorder, it's clearly stated in my signature, and as we've entered yet another lockdown in our province I've been handed one more month on my sentence as such. I have not been able to have what is literally life changing (and when we discovered it, life saving!) treatments since February 14th, 2020. I was getting them once a week and the hospital i needed to go to was the first to suffer a shut down and they've not opened the clinic back up, still. I'm at the point now where I will need to go daily for 6 weeks and that's not possible during lockdown. It doesn't matter that we've found another facility that has graciously agreed to offer me treatment even though we're outside of their catchment area, they're closed for outpatient treatments. These are essential medical treatments but I can't have them right now. I have zero sympathy for people who will need to get a test to return home from a quick jaunt for a vacation that they claim is for their mental health. Before we go to Disney I need to have a ton of "booster treatments" so that my mental health won't suffer while we're away, even though the trip is good for my mood!

Off my soap box, sorry again if I offended anyone. I personally don't think this thread should have moved into what's essential and what's not -- it's about needing to get tested before boarding a plane to come home, isn't it?? Doesn't matter why you need to be on said plane.

As the person who started this thread I totally agree. This thread has gone way out there. It was meant to tell people about this requirement that would impact anyone travelling on a Disney trip.

And I really hope you get the treatment you need soon (hugs)

:hug: thank you, jacqueline.

i am definitely part of the problem here. i shouldn’t have taken the bait, and that’s why i didn’t continue with things.

you’re right that this change will make it harder to take quick leisure trips, which is exactly the point.

i hope you can access the care you need soon. you’re right, disney isn’t mental health care, and that term gets thrown around as justification for things we enjoy much more than it should.

The test is mostly to avoid spread within the plane itself. There have been too many COVID positive people allowed on planes and they are generally concerned with the risk that poses. Of course the 14 day quarantine would still be in effect post flight - as others have said, you can test negative one day and start showing symptoms the next.

The test is mostly to avoid spread within the plane itself. There have been too many COVID positive people allowed on planes and they are generally concerned with the risk that poses. Of course the 14 day quarantine would still be in effect post flight - as others have said, you can test negative one day and start showing symptoms the next.

You can also be showing symptoms on the plane and be totally contagious but have that negative test result of your test that was 3 days ago.

https://news.paxeditions.com/news/a...asts-canadas-new-covid-19-testing-requirement
ooof! I feel for the airlines. Now they must also be test checkers. I don't blame them for being frustrated by government's knee-jerk reaction.
If you think that's bad.

"Ottawa 'actively looking' into loophole that allows quarantining travellers to get sickness benefit" https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5860020

Looks like they are going to close the loop hole for having to quarantine. Right now if you have to quarantine you are eligible for $500 a week. They are looking to close it for those who travel. If you travel outside of the country you will not be eligible for the $500.

That should have been already thought about LOL
I agree but I think a lot of what's been put in place the last week, with in regards to having a negative test and now the loop hole being closed. Is I believe they thought many Canadians would listen to the advisory and not travel. As seen from boxing day many Canadians aren't listening anymore.

You guys should go on the Tripadvisor forums for Punta Cana, Jamaica, Mexico. They have tons of info of where and how much it costs to get tests down south.

I agree but I think a lot of what's been put in place the last week, with in regards to having a negative test and now the loop hole being closed. Is I believe they thought many Canadians would listen to the advisory and not travel. As seen from boxing day many Canadians aren't listening anymore.
I think most of the people that did decide to travel were people that weren't affected by the quarantine anyways. People that worked from home that would still be working and getting paid during their quarantine while their kids were doing online school. So they wouldn't have been eligible anyways for the sick benefit.

Ford just announced that they will start offering covid tests at Pearson airport for international travellers.

You will still have to follow 14 day quarantine though. And it’s in addition to the test you need to get on a plane. Sometime in the future it may shorten the quarantine.

What is the point of testing at Pearson now?

Edit to add: I suppose for travel within Canada...

Because just having a test 3 days before you get on a plane isn’t perfect. Each different thing will help catch different cases. It’s a combination of multiple things that will keep cases from coming into Canada

The testing at the airport would probably be expanded to eventually reduce the quarantine, like the pilot in Alberta.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter