Need to do some soul searching

I also think a split vacation would also be the way forward. As you’re a DVC owner What about a couple of days at Vero Beach to get your Disney and Beach fix.

OP here- Still not sure which way to go with this trip. Was talking to the girls a little bit more and the littlest one was the only one that was a definite yes. The other 2 want to check out Epcot at least. I told the little one that the 2 of us should go together and leave the other 2 girls at home. She was all for that but the other 2 weren't thrilled with the idea. Really, there is not a huge amount of difference money wise between taking 1 or 3. I just keep thinking that there are so many other things that the girls would really love for the same amount of money. I know the littlest would be a great age for DW and she is such an expressive child that it would be a lot of fun. I have been pricing out making it a shorter trip and I'm even considering doing a park day, staying overnight, doing another park day, taking a few days off at the grandparents house then coming back and doing it again. We would miss out on 'the bubble' but would at least be able to hit the 4 parks.

OP here- Still not sure which way to go with this trip. Was talking to the girls a little bit more and the littlest one was the only one that was a definite yes. The other 2 want to check out Epcot at least. I told the little one that the 2 of us should go together and leave the other 2 girls at home. She was all for that but the other 2 weren't thrilled with the idea. Really, there is not a huge amount of difference money wise between taking 1 or 3. I just keep thinking that there are so many other things that the girls would really love for the same amount of money. I know the littlest would be a great age for DW and she is such an expressive child that it would be a lot of fun. I have been pricing out making it a shorter trip and I'm even considering doing a park day, staying overnight, doing another park day, taking a few days off at the grandparents house then coming back and doing it again. We would miss out on 'the bubble' but would at least be able to hit the 4 parks.
Have fun whatever you choose to do!

If you didn't ask, you wouldn't know how they feel, right? So kudos for asking and for adjusting based on feedback. It does seem like doing WDW is perfect for your youngest - if the older kids can take an active role in shaping the experience for the little one, would that make a difference? The bubble effect I think is more for the older kids and adults than the little ones - every day is like magic at that age, so if you and the bigger kids are ok with splitting things up a bit, that could make sense for you.

Also remember the vacation is for the kids but also for you - so let yourself weigh in too! Do you miss Disney? Are you looking forward to experiencing it again through your youngest's eyes? I totally get that there can be feelings of guilt when spending on something and not all the kids are enthused, but there is also much to be said for grasping your moments. I hope you don't stress too much over it and can enjoy planning whatever vacations you decide to take :)

I think you are giving too much power to your older kids. They don't want to go but they don't like the idea of you taking the little one alone? They can't have it both ways. They will still be getting a week at the beach. You've been taking them to the beach often. Something they enjoy. Now it's moms turn to do something she enjoys and for little sister to experience that. It's not like you have gone to WDW every single year for 5 years straight and they have been begging to go to the beach and yet again you are doing WDW.

I personally think the little one "deserves" a Disney trip on her own since the other two had big Disney trips. Seeing the magic through her eyes will be amazing. I would do it just for that. I took DD at 5 and that was the most magical age.

I just took DD12 alone just us two. DS went on his senior trips a few months earlier so I told him I was taking DD. He was perfectly ok with it but a bit jealous since he says I always plan great Disney trips. LOL

I think you are giving too much power to your older kids. They don't want to go but they don't like the idea of you taking the little one alone? They can't have it both ways. They will still be getting a week at the beach. You've been taking them to the beach often. Something they enjoy. Now it's moms turn to do something she enjoys and for little sister to experience that. It's not like you have gone to WDW every single year for 5 years straight and they have been begging to go to the beach and yet again you are doing WDW.

I personally think the little one "deserves" a Disney trip on her own since the other two had big Disney trips. Seeing the magic through her eyes will be amazing. I would do it just for that. I took DD at 5 and that was the most magical age.

I just took DD12 alone just us two. DS went on his senior trips a few months earlier so I told him I was taking DD. He was perfectly ok with it but a bit jealous since he says I always plan great Disney trips. LOL

As a parent who has given too much power to one of her children regarding stuff like this I have to agree with the above post. I am not saying they are doing it intentionally; but my oldest would tend to be just like that. I don't want to go; but don't go without me. Since you would still be doing the summer beach trip, what's the big deal about going to Disney in February? Unless I read it wrong you would still be doing the beach trip correct?

I understand about wanting to do other things. We are at that point where we are considering doing other things after 3 straight summers with a Disney parks trip. We have been talking about cruising and/or going to Universal. But we have all had plenty of experiences there and that doesn't appear to be the case with your family.

And I wouldn't change the trip to please them. If you're going to include a stay at the grandparents, I would leave the older two with them as long as the grandparents are okay with it. I would still do an on site stay with the 5 year-old. Bottom line if it is your desire to give the youngest the same kind of trip the older two have had, you should do that. You don't want to go forward with regrets when it isn't necessary. And you don't want the youngest to think her older feelings siblings carry more weight.

I have to deal with that with my youngest. My oldest is 16 and can be really moody. My 9 year-old of course loves her and wants to be with her. He has a tendency to allow her moodiness to intrude on his good time. We were at the beach in July and she didn't want to go out to the beach or pool so he said he didn't. I had to remind him it was our vacation too and she shouldn't dictate it. Of course he did want to go. It's just what he really wanted was for her to come with us.

Last edited:
I would put WDW off one year. Your youngest will be 5, still a magical age. Mine was 6 on our first trip.

We went to WDW last summer and Disneyland in April, so we are not in need of another Disney trip next summer. We were planning a beach vacation in Cape Cod. Then I accumulated enough frequent flyer miles to fly for free, and they expire December 2020. I am not giving up those miles. So, now we are going back to WDW next July instead of Cape Cod.

Good luck making a decision.

A proper multi day disney vacation with time at a resort pool and a disney waterpark is way different than a day at the MK. They were 4 and 2 last time you did it...
They dont know what they are saying no to. Stop asking them and plan an awesome trip. They will have fun I bet.

Beach is such a different vacation. Sleeping in, playing in the water,relaxing. Versus a get up early, crowded, long waits,..

I absolutely see why the older ones would pick that. They’ve done Disney and want to go back to the relaxing, less stressful vacation.

You did ask. I would pick a beach vacation this year w the caveat Disney in 2021, potentially w just the youngest.

OP here. I feel like I have crossed a threshold. I am changing our 6 night 7 day trip to a 4 night 5 day trip. It comes in under budget so there's always a possibility of a day trip in the fall if we need an extra day or 2. It also gives me more flexibility to get lower airfare and it moves my fastpass day to a day other than Christmas morning. The person that pays for our beach vacation is throwing around the idea of a 2 week stay and if the stars align, we may even be getting free tickets for universal next month. Even if the extra stuff doesn't work out, I am happy with the new disney plan.

I once gave my DD a choice between Disney World and Hawaii. I was sure that she would pick Disney World, but she chose Hawaii. At the time we had never been to either one, although we live close to and often visit Disneyland. We had a great time and went to Disney World the following year. She was very excited that she got to chose and was vested in helping with the planning.

My question is this... do they always have fun when they are in Disney? If the answer is yes, then absolutely go for the week. There are pools and water parks if they need to do that for a day or two. Go to the beach next year. And hey, you can always tell them they could stay home with family while you take the youngest. Haha! I bet they would be happy to go then.

My 15 year old son suggested we all go to Disney World one more time as a family and I was shocked.... happily shocked though. My 18 year old son chimed in that it would be an awesome idea, he loves it there, and of course my 9 year old son is in! So we are planning for next fall when the younger two have a couple of days off from school that week.

2021 we are planning our big cross country road trip to California taking Route 66. And of course they all want to hit Disney Land while we are there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter