Need info on WEst Coast of FLA...

rbuzzotta

<font color=FF00CC>OKW until 2042<br><font color=t
We are planning a 2 week stay in July. WE want to move over to the west coast of FLA for the weekend before we come back to WDW (yes, I'm being frugal with my points!!).

I posted this on the last bulletin board and since I am comfortable with my DVC friends here I thought I would ask for hotel/resort suggestions. We would like to drive about 2 1/2 hours from WDW and stay on the beach..One poster suggested Don Cesar but the rates were nearly 300. a night.... I would appreciate any and all suggestions..

I love the west coast of Florida. But the only other beachfront place I'm familiar with in the St. Pete Beach area (near Don Cesar) is the Tradewinds. It is beautiful and classy, but the prices are pretty high there too.

Would Fort Myers Beach be too far for you? I've stayed there many times, and I love that area. There are lots of choices of beachfront places to stay. The Sandpiper, Outrigger, Holiday Inn, and Lahaina Inn are a few good ones right on the beach. That whole stretch of beach is wonderful!

Wherever you wind up going, have a terrific trip! :cool:

Rosemary, We have been going down to Sanibel for over 10 years. It is a little pricey but May is the off season and the rates are cut in half. We always stay at the Sundial and rent from a private owner, During the season a 2 bedroom goes for about $2000 for the week but in May its about $800 for the week. Its very relaxing, bike paths around the entire island, and lots of great restaurants. There's even a wild life refuge. You can also rent Motorized scooters to explore the island. The best shells you could ever find. It is near Fort Myers. We have combined it with a trip to Disney a few times. It is about a 3- 3 1/2 hour drive from Orlando. It is absolutely wonderful. :bounce:

Sanibel and Captive Island are beautiful, Ft. Myers is nice too as is Naples and Marco Island, We love South Seas Plantation on Captiva, they have all types of accomodations from homes to hotel rooms, many pools and all kinds of activites, boating,biking,skiing,swimming and there are many great restaurants on both Islands, gorgeous white sandy beaches

Check out Traveler Discount Guides for hotel coupons for Florida at www.roomsaver.com

Thanks for the info. I plan on checking out Sanibel and Captiva. Is it a 3 1/2 hour drive from Disney. We will only be there for 2 nights but my DD's love picking seashells and playing at the beach.

I am also looking into the Tradewinds Resort but I noticed there are 3 of them. Any suggestions on which may be better?

Also, what about the Sheraton or Radisson on Sand Key? I believe that is next to Clearwater Beach?

Thanks a bunch!!

Some friends of ours stayed there a year ago February and they really liked it. I cannot recall the particulars, but they really enjoyed staying there!

Here is a vote for Sanibel Island. But it is a little far for two nights. Every bit of 3 1/2 hours. Motels are available and that is the off season for rates. Many great restaurants and seashelling.
An alternative would be Longboat Key at Sarasota. There is a nice Holiday Inn on the Key. This would be about 2 hours from Disney.

Hello to all the Sanibel/Captiva advocates! Been going there every Memorial Day week since 1980. WDW and Sanibel make a great combination. (Although it is a bit far from WDW for just a day or two).

I would recommend the Sarosota area and specifically Sieta Key. I have been to the other beaches and in MHO I find Sieta to have the nicest beach. It is two hours from WDW and it is very relaxing. I am sure you will have a nice time whereever you decide. I would call the Chamber of Commerce for some recommendations. Most of the places I have stayed required a min. of a one week stay. Enjoy!;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter