Need help with road trip: VA, MD, PA, OH & KY

If you're driving from Baltimore to Philadelphia you'll probably be passing through Delaware on I- 95, seems a shame to leave our tiny state off your list. You could hop off the interstate to catch a AAA baseball game at Frawley Stadium, home of the Blue Rocks, http://m.milb.com/t426

Or see if the kalmar nyckel will be sailing- it's a replica of a Swedish ship that founded a colony in the 1600s.

i always recommend this when people ask about lancaster. they were really friendly and state they still offer a AAA discount. we did it first thing in the morning in fall and it was just relaxing and beautiful.
http://www.abesbuggyrides.com/

i think your boys may love this place, since there are so many theme parks where you are going you may want to skip hershey park, but pass through just for chocolate world and maybe one other thing. http://www.cherrycrestfarm.com/
i did the corn maze at night in the fall, it was fun but honestly took us way too long to find our way out in the dark lol.

i liked this, but i haven't done the math and it may be a bit much with so many children for the time you will actually be there. this only takes 30-60 minutes from my memory, but was pretty cool. http://www.indianechocaverns.com/

plus there are a number of amish/farmers markets. some are better than others. there are also plenty of amish/family run restaurants in the area and i remember some of them were a good value.

We are just going to do the Hershey world and ride and look around the town a bit. I actually thought about staying at this farm, but the corn maze won't be open yet when we are there, unfortunately. I am definitely planning on a buggy ride!

If you're driving from Baltimore to Philadelphia you'll probably be passing through Delaware on I- 95, seems a shame to leave our tiny state off your list. You could hop off the interstate to catch a AAA baseball game at Frawley Stadium, home of the Blue Rocks, http://m.milb.com/t426

Or see if the kalmar nyckel will be sailing- it's a replica of a Swedish ship that founded a colony in the 1600s.
Funny story here... When I originally posted this question awhile back, I didn't realize we would be passing through DE... When I was looking for affordable lodging in Philadelphia, which is difficult, I expanded the map and saw that we were passing through DE briefly. Well, I was then on a mission to find something to do, and everyone kept telling me things like "just pull over, take a picture and get some ice cream somewhere," but I told everyone that would not count, we had to DO something unique to DE! So, friends and family have been laughing about my rules for being able to say that you've "been" in a state, lol! So, I actually found a gorgeous condo in downtown Wilmington for one night... We are going to leave Philadelphia, probably around 5-6pm, drive to Wilmington, and look around a bit. Hoping to see the ship, but it's not sailing that day. We may go to the wildlife reserve the next morning, before driving to Baltimore.
So, I'm so sorry that I initially didn't realize we'd be in your lovely state, but once I did I was on a mission to make sure we saw a piece of it!:rotfl2:

It's funny you posted this roadtrip plan, because I've started playing around with something similar (but leaving from Austin). We moved here from NJ 5 years ago, and last time we visited up that way, we made stops at Hershey and Dorney parks, and even stopped in DE on the way back home because MIL lives there now. Sadly, we didn't really see much of DE either that trip due to time constraints, basically just saw the highway and MIL's house LOL.

Well, it's been 2 years now since we've seen the family, so I was thinking of putting together something more "educational" with more stops along the way instead of rushing through. We've done camping trips in Lancaster and I've done day trips there to visit farms/Amish dairy and shopping for quilts and such. I was thinking of adding a few days at Busch Gardens VA and doing some "colonial" visits too, since we've glossed over those on previous trips too. You've got a lot of great ideas here, probably enough for several trips - I hope you get to fit it all in!

We are just going to do the Hershey world and ride and look around the town a bit. I actually thought about staying at this farm, but the corn maze won't be open yet when we are there, unfortunately. I am definitely planning on a buggy ride! Funny story here... When I originally posted this question awhile back, I didn't realize we would be passing through DE... When I was looking for affordable lodging in Philadelphia, which is difficult, I expanded the map and saw that we were passing through DE briefly. Well, I was then on a mission to find something to do, and everyone kept telling me things like "just pull over, take a picture and get some ice cream somewhere," but I told everyone that would not count, we had to DO something unique to DE! So, friends and family have been laughing about my rules for being able to say that you've "been" in a state, lol! So, I actually found a gorgeous condo in downtown Wilmington for one night... We are going to leave Philadelphia, probably around 5-6pm, drive to Wilmington, and look around a bit. Hoping to see the ship, but it's not sailing that day. We may go to the wildlife reserve the next morning, before driving to Baltimore. So, I'm so sorry that I initially didn't realize we'd be in your lovely state, but once I did I was on a mission to make sure we saw a piece of it!:rotfl2:

Ha! You could always do some shopping- Delaware is kind of famous for no sales tax. The Capriottis chain started here, you could stop and grab a "bobby" to take back to your condo for dinner. Thanksgiving on a roll. http://www.capriottis.com/newpress/?p=3190

Gettysburg is wonderful and worth a visit. I could spend a week there and our girls love it. I lived in Intercourse, by Lancaster and am so saddened by how developed the area is now. We visit Holmes County Ohio to get a true Amish experience. The area is beautiful, and reminds me of Lancaster many years ago. If your boys enjoy Football, the hall of fame in Canton Ohio is great and you pass it on your way to Holmes County. We've lived in Western, Pa. for over twenty years and have to give some credit to Pittsburgh. The zoo, Kennywood, children's museum are a lot of fun. Fort Ligonier, in Ligonier, pa is great and taking a family raft ride in Ohiopyle is awesome. The falls are so much fun. Sounds like your going to have a great trip. Enjoy.

Hi, I have another question for the OH folks. We planned on staying two nights in Huron...We were just going to hang out on the shore one day and look around the town, and then spend one day going to KI and PIB, with KI being most interesting to us for the glacial grooves. I just discovered that the Sandusky jet express is not operating those days, only the PIB out of Port Clinton will be running. There is also not the inter island ferry. Millers ferry only goes to PIB, as far as I can tell, and the kelleys island ferry looks like it only leaves out of Marblehead.
Are there any other ways to get to the island? If not, how far is Marblehead from Huron? Should I change our lodging to port clinton area? I'm not sure how much time it'll take to do the jet express to PIB and back then drive over to Marblehead for the KI ferry... Is it worth doing all of that in one day? Or should I just forget about KI? Is PIB worth making the trip for alone, or should I just wait until we can go back and see both islands another time?
Thanks for any advice!!
Huron is about 30 minutes from Marblehead. I would probably stay in the Port Clinton area and just head over to KI from Marblehead. I think it would take up too much of your day to try to do both islands. When we went to KI we rented a golf cart and drove all over. The kids loved it. We saw the glacier grooves, went to the state park beach, had lunch, played minigolf and did a little shopping.

Hi,

Then we will head to KY. I think we are going to stay somewhere in the Bowling Green area. DH wants to go to the Corvette museum/factory. The youngest will not be allowed there, any suggestions for what I can do with him while they are touring? I saw there's a children's museum, but I'm not sure how far it is from the factory. We'd also like to see Mammoth Caves. Is 1 day enough for that area? Suggestions on where to stay relatively convenient to both of these things? I was thinking about a cabin at Jellystone near the caves, but our Jellystone here in LA is not very nice!!!

My DH has been following this, it's crazy. This is definitely just something that would be nice for him to do (he has dreams of buying one there and driving it out of the factory :rotfl:) but if it's not open it won't change much... it's right on the way home.
Will add the horse park and plant to the list of possibilities! thanks!

The corvette factory and museum are two separate buildings. Not withstanding the sinkhole, children are allowed in the museum. I'm not sure about the factory, but school children take tours of both.

It's funny you posted this roadtrip plan, because I've started playing around with something similar (but leaving from Austin). We moved here from NJ 5 years ago, and last time we visited up that way, we made stops at Hershey and Dorney parks, and even stopped in DE on the way back home because MIL lives there now. Sadly, we didn't really see much of DE either that trip due to time constraints, basically just saw the highway and MIL's house LOL.

Well, it's been 2 years now since we've seen the family, so I was thinking of putting together something more "educational" with more stops along the way instead of rushing through. We've done camping trips in Lancaster and I've done day trips there to visit farms/Amish dairy and shopping for quilts and such. I was thinking of adding a few days at Busch Gardens VA and doing some "colonial" visits too, since we've glossed over those on previous trips too. You've got a lot of great ideas here, probably enough for several trips - I hope you get to fit it all in!

Many places we will just get a taste of. For ex, we are only spending one day in Philadelphia, when I'd be happy spending a week there. Williamsburg area was our main destination, so we do have 6 days planned there. Hope you find something for your family, sure would beat just driving straight through!

Ha! You could always do some shopping- Delaware is kind of famous for no sales tax. The Capriottis chain started here, you could stop and grab a "bobby" to take back to your condo for dinner. Thanksgiving on a roll. http://www.capriottis.com/newpress/?p=3190
Thanks, we will check this out if we are hungry that evening... I plan to eat at a few places in Philly for lunch! I didn't know that about the sales tax, I could do some damage!

Gettysburg is wonderful and worth a visit. I could spend a week there and our girls love it. I lived in Intercourse, by Lancaster and am so saddened by how developed the area is now. We visit Holmes County Ohio to get a true Amish experience. The area is beautiful, and reminds me of Lancaster many years ago. If your boys enjoy Football, the hall of fame in Canton Ohio is great and you pass it on your way to Holmes County. We've lived in Western, Pa. for over twenty years and have to give some credit to Pittsburgh. The zoo, Kennywood, children's museum are a lot of fun. Fort Ligonier, in Ligonier, pa is great and taking a family raft ride in Ohiopyle is awesome. The falls are so much fun. Sounds like your going to have a great trip. Enjoy.
We are only doing one day in Gettysburg, but we are going to get one of those private tour guides who will drive us around in our car, so hopefully we will still get a a lot done. I actually went to college in PA, so I've seen much of what you've mentioned and agree completely! This will be our kids'first time so I'm excited to show them everything!

Hi,

Then we will head to KY. I think we are going to stay somewhere in the Bowling Green area. DH wants to go to the Corvette museum/factory. The youngest will not be allowed there, any suggestions for what I can do with him while they are touring? I saw there's a children's museum, but I'm not sure how far it is from the factory. We'd also like to see Mammoth Caves. Is 1 day enough for that area? Suggestions on where to stay relatively convenient to both of these things? I was thinking about a cabin at Jellystone near the caves, but our Jellystone here in LA is not very nice[/
!!

I live in the area and have been on field trips to all of them. The tour time of the cave depends on what type of cave tour you take. It is close to Jellystone which I've never stayed at but my daughters did beg us to stay in their cabin a few years back. It was unusual but I've forgotten why. If you don't stay there, check out Barren River State Park which would be about 40 minutes away and has cabins. The Corvette Museum and plant are right by I 65 about 45 minutes away so why not make everyone happy?! They aren't close enough to walk to though so you'll need to stay close. Even the little one can go in the museum he just can't go in the plant, right? I would not go to the children's museum. I would think each of those things would take about an hour. There is also a minor league baseball team in that town if that appeals.

Huron is about 30 minutes from Marblehead. I would probably stay in the Port Clinton area and just head over to KI from Marblehead. I think it would take up too much of your day to try to do both islands. When we went to KI we rented a golf cart and drove all over. The kids loved it. We saw the glacier grooves, went to the state park beach, had lunch, played minigolf and did a little shopping.

Thanks, I think we will just focus on KI. I was told that we could have done both easily if the jet express was operating, but now it's too much back and forth.

Yes, we can all go to the corvette museum and it actually looks very kid friendly. Only my youngest can't go to the factory tour, so I think he and I will just explore a nearby park or something. We rented a home on vrbo near barren river lake there. Thanks for all the suggestions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter