Need help and advice

Martyap

Mouseketeer
I had booked Port Orleans French Quarter months ago for our family of 7 adults and 3 kids. Disney is now running a summer 30% sale if we switch to PO Riverside......my total savings looks like $1000.

Is this a no brainer or are there other things to consider. Our first Disney Trip so please help me out.

Thanks
Karen

I had booked Port Orleans French Quarter months ago for our family of 7 adults and 3 kids. Disney is now running a summer 30% sale if we switch to PO Riverside......my total savings looks like $1000.

Is this a no brainer or are there other things to consider. Our first Disney Trip so please help me out.

Thanks
Karen

$1000 savings? That is a no brainer, switch and don't even give it a second thought :)

Thanks
Karen

Yeah, it's definitely a no brainier. They're right next to each other, you can still use all the facilities at POFQ.

Switch today before POR sells out with the discount!

POR is larger & more spread out, and has different theming, but at the end of the day $1000 speaks volumes. Both have excellet food courts & ammenities.

If you find youself wishing you hadn't switched from POFQ....there's always next time!!! Enjoy!

I have to revise my original question I posted an hour ago:

I had booked Port Orleans French Quarter months ago for our family of 7 adults and 3 kids. Disney is now running a summer sale. I just took advantage of the meager 5% they offered on POFQ giving me a savings of $350.

In order to increase my savings we would have to switch to POR.
A "Preferred" room at POR (Alligator or Bayou) would be another $375 in
savings. A regular room at POR still another $300.

If we did change we would most likely select a preferred room. Is this something to consider or just stay at POFQ? Our first family trip to Disney and not sure what to do. Had read that POFQ was smaller and easier to get around so we do not want to end up in the rear of the much larger POR.
Also, I had read POFQ rooms were updated.....what about the rooms at POR?

Please offer your expert advice.

Thanks
Karen

I have to revise my original question I posted an hour ago:

I had booked Port Orleans French Quarter months ago for our family of 7 adults and 3 kids. Disney is now running a summer sale. I just took advantage of the meager 5% they offered on POFQ giving me a savings of $350.

In order to increase my savings we would have to switch to POR.
A "Preferred" room at POR (Alligator or Bayou) would be another $375 in
savings. A regular room at POR still another $300.

If we did change we would most likely select a preferred room. Is this something to consider or just stay at POFQ? Our first family trip to Disney and not sure what to do. Had read that POFQ was smaller and easier to get around so we do not want to end up in the rear of the much larger POR.
Also, I had read POFQ rooms were updated.....what about the rooms at POR?

Please offer your expert advice.

Thanks
Karen

I would switch to the preferred room at POR for more savings. We stayed there and really enjoyed the resort.

Here's a site to check out for more info: www.portorleans.org.

I don't think you can go wrong with either but I would want more spending money.

POR went through a complete room renovation recently also.

I don't love POR, but I think for a $1000 it's an easy call for me. I'd switch and maybe request rooms in an area you'd feel most comfortable in (unless your group includes a party of 5, then you will be in alligator bayou with the Trundle bed)....the two resorts are right next to each other, so you can always go visit if you desire!

Either way, have a great trip! :)

I don't love POR, but I think for a $1000 it's an easy call for me. I'd switch and maybe request rooms in an area you'd feel most comfortable in (unless your group includes a party of 5, then you will be in alligator bayou with the Trundle bed)....the two resorts are right next to each other, so you can always go visit if you desire!

Either way, have a great trip! :)

Agreed but did want to point out no more trundle beds. All the rooms were renovated to the pull out Murphy bed which is much better :).

I'd switch for sure. We stayed one night at POFQ last year before our cruise. We wished we had stayed longer. But . . . . if I could save the money you are talking about I would have no hesitation in staying at POR. We did a walk around both and nothing is really that far. The grounds are beautiful in POR, in fact we are planning to stay 5 nights there next year (we will probably visit POFQ while were there too). You'll love POR. :goodvibes

Looks like I'll be in the minority on this but for me, I would not switch to POR to save $350. We stayed at both resorts last year and it was a hands down win for POFQ. We liked POR but it was just too big for us. We like POFQ because it was smaller and there was only one bus stop. POR has 4 bus stops and it felt like we were either waiting in line or riding to different bus stops forever. We actually took the bus from MK to POFQ one night and walked back to our room at POR because the bus for POR was overcrowded and they were packing people in like sardines rather than sending more buses. Wasn't the way I wanted to spend my ride back after a long day at the park.

Anyway, just my opinion but for me, I'd keep your reservation and take the 5% savings they've given. We're booked for the fall at POFQ and my husband and I have already agreed that if a deal comes out and it's cheaper to stay at POR, we aren't doing it. :) We'd be more tempted to pay more and upgrade to a deluxe before we stay at POR again.

I would switch to CSR! It is the best of the Mods IMHO! Great pool, slide, dig site, playground, etc. No sharing busses. We too were booked for POFQ, but actually got a room at Contemporary for only $75.00 more per night with the discounts, so we went that way. We wanted to try something new (we always stay at CSR or Poly and love both).

I'd switch to POR in a heartbeat. And if the size of the resort is of concern, book a preferred room to be closer to the main buildings. I think POFQ is a great resort, but not something I'd give up that kind of money for.

Switch Switch!! I have stayed at both that is quite a bit of $$ that can be spent on something more fun than sleeping. I never even spend the extra for the preferred room I usually just request connecting rooms close to the food court and 90% of the time I am very satisfied with the room location. Have a wonderful trip!! :wizard:

I'd get a preferred room at POR and save the $375.

If you book preferred, you are guaranteed to be close to the food court, pool, etc. POR is a lot bigger than POFQ, but if you stay preferred you won't have to venture into the outer regions of POR unless you want to go exploring.

If theming is important to you, keep in mind that all preferred rooms are in the AB section of POR, not the mansions. (FWIW, we prefer AB, but obviously different strokes for different folks.)

POR was just renovated in 2011-2012, which i think was after POFQ. The rooms are really nice.

Obviously everyone has different preferences when it comes to resorts so realize this is just my opinion, but DH and I strongly prefer POR to POFQ. We stayed at FQ once when it was really hot, and the whole resort just felt broiling to us - the courtyards have a lot of concrete that reflect the sun. The AB section of POR is a lot more lush and shady. I just mention it b/c if you're getting a "summer" discount, I presume you'll be there when it's warm. :) I'm sure others have different opinions, and in fact one of the reasons we stayed at POFQ was because of glowing reviews here, but after staying at POR we'll never go back.

As Andre has noted elsewhere, a Preferred at POR has all the advantages of staying in FQ, they are rooms located close to all the services, food court etc. So you get the benefits of the "small" resort.

But you are going to save money.

We had the same choice for my wife and I for the Spring promo, had a room at POFQ booked, were totally excited about it, but the spring promo was 5% POFQ or 25% off at POR ... we saved about $1000 for a 2 week stay ... no question.

also, if you go preferred at POR POFQ is only about a few hundred meters away, and its a sister resort so you are welcome to use its pool and facilities as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter